PDA

View Full Version : Favorite game world or setting?

El Fangel
08-11-2012, 11:06 PM
It will come as np surprise to some that the atmosphere that Bioshock created is one of my favorites. High on that list as well is Hyrule in OOT and San Andreas.

Are there any worlds that you enjoyed playing in or felt "made" the game?

CSL
08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Liberty City, NYC in Max Payne, Streets of Rage, Heavy Rain

El Fangel
08-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Which Liberty? GTA3 or GTA4?

CSL
08-11-2012, 11:16 PM
both in terms of the "feel", 4 visually

Heisenberg
08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Las Vegas in Fallout:New Vegas.
Got the post-apocalyptic 1950's vibe set in the future.

River City in River City Ransom.
Urban environment where everyone is out to kick you and your brother's asses with flying brass knuckles.

El Fangel
08-11-2012, 11:36 PM
River City Ransom <3

Also, Gotta say that Twisted Metal Black was excellent as well.

Heisenberg
08-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Twisted Metal Black, badass all over.

Paint It, Black was a great song for that game.

loopydate
08-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Rapture, definitely.

Shisen Kopf
08-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Final Fantasy VII. Midgar is still real to me dammit!

SlickyTrickyDamon
08-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Fallout 3 in DC. Pretty fucking awesome.

All the Cities since GTA 3.

Kane Knight
08-12-2012, 12:38 AM
The WWE Universe. :shifty:

Stilwater and to a lesser extent, Steelport (Saints Row series).

Arcadia (Skies of Arcadia).

Drawing a blank on others, but I'm sure there's more.

SuperSlim
08-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Vice City

Fignuts
08-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Many of the locales in Final Fantasy VII. The best part about that game in my opinion. Gorgeously designed environments, but it wasn't just that. Great mixture of many different styles, made every new place seem unique and memorable. One could go on and on about midgar alone.

Skyrim/Fallout- Never have I spent so much time in a game just wandering around, soaking up the scenery, than I have in Bethesda's first person rpgs. Nothing beats playing one of these games for the first time, and discovering new locations, that sense of dread and foreboding accompanying that riff.

Liberty City(GTA4)- Say what you will about the driving mechanics, and Rockstar's lean toward a more realistic style. All fair arguments. One thing you cannot dispute, is that Liberty City is the most "alive", lifelike city in any sandbox game, ever made. It's aliving breathing entity, and sometimes while playing, I will just stop, and watch everything happening around me for several moments.

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Metal Gear Solid 3. Can't believe I forget that.

The Genius
08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Giant World in Super Mario Bros 3

Requiem
08-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Liberty City
Mass Effect series
Asheron's Call
EVE Online

There's a lot more. Honestly love the feel of a lot of game worlds but those were the first that instantly came to mind.

Drakul
08-12-2012, 03:24 AM
I can't think of a favourite but I do like a few. One just now.

Long version:
The whole RDR map. I loved the size and the way it felt more alive than any other game world I've explored. It made the game much more enjoyable.
You could actually stand in the middle of a town and watch the NPCs go about their day. Shopkeepers would open up, wagons would roll through town, trains would come and go with people getting on and off, woman would be assaulted, men would be attacked by gangs and much more. As the sun set, shop keepers would close for the night and, slowly, one by one, most people would make their way to the saloon.

Killing someone had consequences beyond getting taken down by the law. If you shot the shopkeeper, that shop wouldn't open again for a while and, when it did reopen, it was a new guy.
That's the big difference between RDR and GTA. In GTA I have absolutely no problem walking into a busy street and wiping out dozens and dozen of NPCs just because I was bored but, in RDR, I killed so few civilian NPCs. If I killed an NPC that wasn't an enemy, it was in self defence or an accident. I may have killed one or two out of pure curiosity. I may have also killed one because he took a few too many dollars from me at poker or blackjack.

I feel a lot of games might have stopped with bringing towns alive but RDR even made the wild feel more alive. You could trot through the desert and see a coyote chase and catch a rabbit. You could walk through the forest and see a bunch of stag and deer grazing. Everything felt like it was natural. The world felt like it existed around you and not just for you and I think that's important. If you feel it's your world, the world becomes dull. Nothing matters, you can do what you want.

If you play RDR, go to the mountains in the far north of the map and walk to the edge. The view is amazing. No San Andreas style fog to obscure anything, you can actually see pretty much right across the map. This looks ten times better at sunset/sunrise.

R*s great job on RDR and its world has me really excited about GTA V. I know it's a different R* studio but I'm still hopeful they can replicate and improve on the excellent job done in RDR.
As fun as GTA has always been, it did feel like it was my world and the NPC were just human shaped targets, incase I got bored. I'm hoping it feels more alive in GTA V. I'm hoping each NPC has a schedule and "life" and not just randomly spawn and walk about, waiting to become Swiss cheese or roadkill.

Short version:
I liked the game world in RDR.

Sepholio
08-12-2012, 03:45 AM
FFVII.

Also the world of Sanctuary from Diablo. Wish that shit was real, tbh. Slaying demons for lewt irl would be fucking awesome.

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 04:18 AM
Wanna give Crackdown its due as well.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
08-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
The Witcher

Drakul
08-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Yoshi's Island was a game world I really enjoyed as a kid. The colour, the music and the way it just looked like a really warm, happy place when you're 6 or 7 years old made it enjoyable.

Fryza
08-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, and Borderlands.

As a whole, series and all. Those're always what I think to.

dronepool
08-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 05:59 AM
http://www.ign.com/static/test/topN/video-game-worlds/top-50-game-worlds_silent-hill.jpg

ClockShot
08-12-2012, 07:16 AM
So many to choose from.

GTA: San Andreas. All parts of that game were done perfectly. From the cities to the backwoods.

Just Cause 2: Looked awesome on my PC.

Most of the incarnations of Hyrule.

Knights of the Old Republic series.

Rapture from Bioshock.

Ferelden from Dragon Age: Origins.

Rockport City from Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

Extreme Angle
08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Final Fantasy 7 and 9.
MGS 3
Bioshock is definitely my favorite.
Love Assassins Creed too, though that's not fictional...
Pokemon Red and Blue too.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
The Island on Lost: Via Domus.

I don't care if the game was pretty dreadful, being able to casually wander round the hatch was the greatest thing ever.

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Hyrule (OOT) and GTA San Andreas stand out to me.

Emperor Smeat
08-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Hyrule in general.
Termina from Majora's Mask.
Vice City from the GTA series. Did a great job capturing the feeling of he 80s and Scarface for the game.
Dracula's Castle from the Castlevania series.

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Restarted Red Dead Redemption today. Don't think I appreciated it as much as I should have the first time.

Kane Knight
08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Wanna give Crackdown its due as well.

Crackdown 2 could have been incredible.

Extreme Angle
08-12-2012, 06:58 PM
First time you land on Halo in CE was pretty amazing mind you.

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Crackdown 2 could have been incredible.

What was wrong with it? I see it in the bargain bin all the time so I assume something awful?

Pintint
08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Final Fantasy 7 (Cosmo Canyon ftw)
Final Fantasy 6
Baldur's Gate I & II

XCaliber
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Other than some of the one's that have already mentioned the realms in which Prince of Persia (2008) take place in were pretty neato.

Kane Knight
08-12-2012, 08:45 PM
What was wrong with it? I see it in the bargain bin all the time so I assume something awful?

Not really. It's just...A barebones upgrade. I'm thinking about how incredible that city could have been with some real upgrades.

Destor
08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Hyrule is the only answer for me.

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Not really. It's just...A barebones upgrade. I'm thinking about how incredible that city could have been with some real upgrades.

Too bad since I enjoyed the gameplay despite the weak story.

Poit
08-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Greyhawk.

Las Vegas in Fallout:New Vegas.
Got the post-apocalyptic 1950's vibe set in the future.

And that.

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
With all the chat about New Vegas I thought you gents might like this.

http://i.imgur.com/oDqpW.jpg

El Fangel
08-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Just to clarify, its a theory. Not fact.

Heisenberg
08-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Good call on canceling that child murder bit, I would have boycotted that bullshit.

Destor
08-12-2012, 10:38 PM
it annoys me that ina game based around freedom and choice i cant kill a kid.

Heisenberg
08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I always stop and help those kids in Freeside kill that rat so they can eat. #FaceCourier

Destor
08-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I still want to kill all those kids in Little Lamp light...ENJOY SLAVERY YOU LITTLE CUNTS.

Skippord
08-13-2012, 03:19 AM
Arkham City

Drakul
08-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Child killing seems worryingly popular among a few gamers. Over on Gamefaqs and on a GTA forum, there are topics where people are saying we should be able to kill children in GTA V.

I really can't see the reason for it. The argument seems to be "We can kill adults and animals, so why not kids?".
I don't think I'd enjoy GTA V if I was driving at full speed down the street, trying to escape the cops, only to accidentally mount the kerb and plow through a group of kids. 3D CGI 8 year olds screaming and rolling over my car hood/bonnet before lying, dead, on the ground in a pool of blood isn't exactly my idea of a fun time.

Adults are fair game because, culturally, we see them die on a daily basis. Whether it's a game, a movie or even the news, we're constantly hearing of or seeing adults die, often in brutal ways. Animals are fair game because, well, they're animals. Creatures we tend to kill for food, clothing and other things anyway.
Kids are small and vulnarable, unable to defend themselves and I think a lot of people would rather protect them than kill them.

I think child murder is something that could be used in games but it shouldn't be frivilous, which is what it would be in GTA or Fallout. The murder of a child should be restricted to the shocking, evil actions of the enemy of the player. One of the ultimate signs that the guy is crazy, sick or just plain evil.

Another worryingly popular request on Gamefaqs and GTA forum is the desire to be able to rape and sexually assault people in GTA V. I hope these people are trolls but I'm pretty sure they're being genuine.

El Fangel
08-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Honestly if kids were in the game I wouldn't play it because I know full well I would likely break into tears if I killed one.

Christ, killed some kids dog in Skyrim and felt like shit for it.

El Fangel
08-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Actually that is a good question, have you ever genuinely felt bad for something you did in a video game?

Drakul
08-13-2012, 04:09 AM
I don't think I'd cry if I killed a kid in a game but I'd probably have less fun for a while afterwards.

Asking us if we have ever felt bad because of what we've done in games could probably work as its own thread. I think the VG forum needs a couple more discussion thread in among the news and updates for games.

I can't think of anything I did that made me feel genuinely bad. Something will probably come to me later.

El Fangel
08-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Yeah, make the thread ma if you want.

loopydate
08-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Actually that is a good question, have you ever genuinely felt bad for something you did in a video game?

And we're back to Bioshock. I felt like shit after (spoiler tags for the 3 people who've never played it) killing Ryan

That's the beauty of that game. That moment was something I'd looked forward to almost since I set foot in Rapture. But when it was over, I just sort of stared numbly at the screen, in disbelief over what I'd just done.

Kane Knight
08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
It ruins my imersion!

Nicky Fives
08-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Vice City

LoDownM
08-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Only one time, playing Dragon Age. Genuinely felt like a dick for choosing to kill Conner instead of doing the other options that would keep him alive

Ultra Mantis
08-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Loved the Land of the Dead in Grim Fandango.

Kane Knight
08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Honestly if kids were in the game I wouldn't play it because I know full well I would likely break into tears if I killed one.

Christ, killed some kids dog in Skyrim and felt like shit for it.

Frankly, this surprises me. I pictured you running through the "No Russian" scenario teabagging their corpses.

Swiss Ultimate
08-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, I'm admitting this.

El Fangel
08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Frankly, this surprises me. I pictured you running through the "No Russian" scenario teabagging their corpses.

Guessing this is what you have tbe option of opting out of when you first put the game in.

Destor
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, I'm admitting this.it is easily one of my favorite franchises and I NEED no.3 YESTERDAY

Swiss Ultimate
08-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Didn't they do a #3 just on a handheld system?

Destor
08-20-2012, 03:15 PM
no if you count hand helds then we're at 4 or 5 KH games now. They do hand held versions to bridge the story between the main releases, i dont own a hand held system tho so i dont know what they're all about. ANYHOW no that isnt KH3.

Swiss Ultimate
08-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Me and my wife were kind of annoyed at how easy KH2 was and how it seemed to be about 65% cut-scene. We loved the first one though and still play it every blue moon.

Destor
08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I prefer 2 once you get past the 4 hour introduction phase. But its Pooh Bear that sells me. NO LIES. I am a man who loves his Pooh.

Swiss Ultimate
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Tut tut, looks like rain.

Hornicane
08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I viewed this as being about the actual world and setting that the game takes place in, as opposed to just the actual maps and visuals, and I really love games that have a lot of mythology to them. I particularly enjoy the settings of the Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, Mortal Kombat and Myst franchises, as well as The Neverhood.

Swiss Ultimate
08-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Even so Kingdom Hearts still stands.

Destor
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Tut tut, looks like rain.“Those who are clever, who have a Brain, never understand anything.”

Corporate CockSnogger
08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I loved Kingdom Hearts, although my memory of it is a bit hazy because it was so long ago now, although I do remember David Boreanaz voiced Squall. Love Disney and Final Fantasy though so I was always going to enjoy it. I think I played the second one but I don't think I completed it and I literally don't remember a single thing about it.

El Fangel
08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Kingdom Hearts was a beautiful marriage of two of my favorite things, actually have a cool story regarding Kingdom Hearts 2.

XCaliber
08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Thought of another one the Forbidden Lands in Shadow of the Colossus.

stultiloquy
08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
I always enjoyed Nosgoth in Soul Reaver.

Granted, beyond fighting enemies the interactivity of the world wasn't incredibly deep; but for it's time I found it to be very atmospheric, and the fact that the world was streamed at a constant pace (as opposed to stopping to load) really helped give the sense that Nosgoth was a vast, seamless world.

I also enjoyed whatever fantasy land you were in for Shadow of the Colossus.
It was boundless, realistic, and beautiful - I found myself at times setting aside the colossi in favor of exploring that world, just so I could take in the sights and see how far I could go.

Drakul
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I remember thinking it was really impressive when I was younger and you got transfer between realms or whatever in Soul Reaver. I also thought it was cool that you could use whatever weapons you found or took from enemies. I'd really like to see them release a new one or at least the old ones on XBLA.

El Fangel
08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
That Legacy of Kain? I remember a friend used to play it and I never really paid attention to it. How good is it?

James Steele
08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
I loved the Fable series. Beautiful artwork. Been playing Skyrim, and it also has stunning visuals.

Heisenberg
08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
The music in the original Fable compliments the environment well, fuckin loved that game.

stultiloquy
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
That Legacy of Kain? I remember a friend used to play it and I never really paid attention to it. How good is it?

Yeah, Legacy of Kain.
Soul Reaver is one of my favorite games, although I haven't played it in years, so I'm unsure as to how well it has aged.
However, for it's time it was pretty revolutionary in that it streamed data from the disc, as opposed to loading it in big chunks like every other game. That pretty much meant that the entire game was seamless, with no waiting for the game to load at all.

It also had a vast, labyrinthine game world that was very atmospheric and stylish, some of the best voice acting I've heard in a video game, it has some amazing boss fights, and it also has my favorite opening cinema.

I would say give it a try, especially for how cheaply it can be had.

M-A-G
10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, Legacy of Kain.
Soul Reaver is one of my favorite games, although I haven't played it in years, so I'm unsure as to how well it has aged.
However, for it's time it was pretty revolutionary in that it streamed data from the disc, as opposed to loading it in big chunks like every other game. That pretty much meant that the entire game was seamless, with no waiting for the game to load at all.

It also had a vast, labyrinthine game world that was very atmospheric and stylish, some of the best voice acting I've heard in a video game, it has some amazing boss fights, and it also has my favorite opening cinema.

I would say give it a try, especially for how cheaply it can be had.

Yes, Nosgoth for the win.

M-A-G
10-31-2012, 09:52 AM
As a follow up, it's only like 6 bucks on the PS Network.

alvarado52
11-05-2012, 01:42 PM
As far as looks go...

http://tomdohm.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/faith_me_02.jpg

Fignuts
11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Mirror's edge was so refreshing after all the grim, gun metal grey and shit brown tints in all the other games.

El Fangel
11-07-2012, 06:07 PM
I am liking Stillwater in Saints Row.

Chavo Classic
11-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Ravenholm from Half Life 2

Tom Guycott
11-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Loved the whole "retro future 50's/vaccum tube powered items" thing all of the Fallouts go for. The only "complaint" I have about Bethesdas forrays into that world is that they should have saved some of the callbacks to 1+2 for New Vegas (like Harold and Dogmeat). Would have made more sense geographically. In the original two, the far bottom of the complete world map of two slightly overlapped the extreme top portion of the top of the first game. All wonderfully done, though.

With other games I'd love to mention, but don't want to 'wall o text", I would like to say Maniac Mansion was awesome. The "world" wasn't vast- hell, it was one house- but it felt gigantic to do some breaking & entering on a girlfriend rescue mission in an OCCUPIED HOUSE which had many points of interactivity. I had the "microwaveable hamster" NES version, and I think after I learned about the consequences of that, I have died every possible way at least once in that game. There was so much to do, and what you could do with those options stemmed from which companions you took with you to start.

Mooияakeя™
11-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Vice City, San Andreas, Red Dead Redemption's setting, There were some nice maps in some FPS games too! :shifty:

Pintint
11-25-2012, 11:14 AM
As far as looks go...

http://tomdohm.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/faith_me_02.jpg

Meh. Isn't that the same that you can find in real life?