PDA

View Full Version : How can TNA justify putting Jeff Hardy in this position?

James Steele
09-14-2012, 04:53 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more. Jeff Hardy won the "Bound for Glory" series and is going to be in the main event of their marquee show. I know he has been doing better, but how can you seriously give this guy another shot? No doubt Jeff Hardy is popular, but he doesn't draw enough to risk him relapsing and pulling another stunt like he did at Victory Road 2011. Why not give Bully Ray this match?

Juan
09-14-2012, 05:09 AM
They probably have a Plan B in place in case Jeff fucks up. At least, I hope they do.

dronepool
09-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Plan RVD?

Tommy Gunn
09-14-2012, 05:19 AM
I think it's bad they let him come back at all, let alone back into the main event after turning up to a PPV fucked up. He clearly doesn't give a shit about the fans.

XL
09-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Drug Addict Comes Good makes for a nice headline?

I wasn't aware that Hardy won and it comes as a surprise as I expected Storm or Bully to win. Does Hardy vs. Aries sound like the headliner for their biggest show of the year? Or does it get bumped from top billing/Main Event?

Ruien
09-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Hardy vs. Aries will sell more tickts than Bully or Storm vs Aries and that is what is important for their biggest ppv.

XL
09-14-2012, 06:12 AM
I suppose. Just doesn't have that "Big Match" feel to it. I figured they'd build back to Storm vs. Roode tbh as their business wasn't conclusively settled and Storm's BFG Series win would reflect Roode's from last year.

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 09:36 AM
I think all of TNA's questionable booking decisions can be traced back to one person of questionable intelligence.

Rammsteinmad
09-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Drug Addict Comes Good makes for a nice headline?

It's pretty much this. I said this about Hardy when he returned from his last fuck up and was saying how he's clean now and gonna prove it etc. I just knew TNA would try and go the Eddie Guerrero drug-addict-cleans-himself-up-and-wins-title route.

Innovator
09-14-2012, 09:40 AM
You have to punish Bully Ray for thinking of not resigning with the company when they approached him about 30 seconds before his deal expired.

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I figured it was a special needs angle. This obviously brain-damaged guy wins the title.

erickman
09-14-2012, 10:20 AM
hardy sells the most teeshirts, he is kind of like tna's cena. i still don't think he will win the belt, he is still on probation, i think there will be a swerve where bully gets the belt.

XL
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Have Aries and Angle had a match yet? Kinda feel that would be as "big" and superior in the ring.

KaosDarksol
09-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Batista told Jeff the contra code

Big Vic
09-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't even know who Aries is.

CSL
09-14-2012, 11:57 AM
he's "the guy" in terms of TNA's active performers really, the biggest name, the biggest draw, the biggest merch mover etc. Wrestling fans need to get over the Victory Road nonsense.

Joesgonnakillyou
09-14-2012, 12:16 PM
If Angle wasn't hurt/involved in another feud, that could have been a great main event.

In my mind that has more a "big fight feel".

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but is he still good? Of all the times I've watched him it's been pretty mediocre.

Mercenary
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Honestly I was hoping Bully would have won. Hardy is just so meh to me now.

MoFo
09-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah, but is he still good? Of all the times I've watched him it's been pretty mediocre.

Not really if you are comparing him now to how good he was in his WWE run, but I guess I'd half-ass it too if I went from WWE to TNA.

Blakeamus
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I think I had mention this a long time ago when they brought him back. I knew he was going to win the BFG series so they can use what he has been through the past year as a comeback story.

Xero
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ci_6CQ5R558?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Emperor Smeat
09-14-2012, 01:05 PM
He's still one of their biggest stars and they did give him a lot of time to prove he was cleaned up or reliable before actually giving him the potential title opportunity.

Would rather have Bully Ray vs Aires for the title match but makes sense why Hardy was chosen. It's also possible the contract situation involving Devon and Bully Ray could have played a small role during the time TNA needed to plan out who was actually going to win the BFG series.

Kane Knight
09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
It's TNA. Need I say more?

James Steele
09-14-2012, 02:15 PM
he's "the guy" in terms of TNA's active performers really, the biggest name, the biggest draw, the biggest merch mover etc. Wrestling fans need to get over the Victory Road nonsense.

Nonsense? Pay $30-$40 bucks for a PPV and the main event world title match is a minute long because he can't keep his shit together?

He's still one of their biggest stars and they did give him a lot of time to prove he was cleaned up or reliable before actually giving him the potential title opportunity.

Would rather have Bully Ray vs Aires for the title match but makes sense why Hardy was chosen. It's also possible the contract situation involving Devon and Bully Ray could have played a small role during the time TNA needed to plan out who was actually going to win the BFG series.

It has been a year and a half. FFS, he has shown repeatedly that he will not get cleaned up. How many chances can the son of a bitch get?

Also, the "Hardy's the biggest draw" argument is bullshit. When has TNA seen any major increase in ratings or buyrates in years? He sells t-shirts. Nice. He would sell just as many t-shirts being in the upper midcard as he would be selling if he is in the main event. TNA has created new stars but when their biggest ppv comes around they go back to the drug addict who has burned them and other companies repeatedly just because he hasn't gotten arrested again? It is a fucking joke. I hope Aries wins because that would be a nice rub, but I don't know how you can trust him in your "biggest ppv ever".

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Maybe they DO view Jeff as "the guy", but they want to put Aries over him to show everyone that Aries is the new "the guy". You ever thought of that?

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Also, whoever said that Jeff has been half-assing it must not be watching a lot of TNA recently. He's been more than solid.

CSL
09-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Nonsense? Pay $30-$40 bucks for a PPV and the main event world title match is a minute long because he can't keep his shit together?

yes, nonsense. Hardy fucked up. TNA still decided to send him out and put that main event on when literally anything else whatsoever would have been a better and more professional option. And as you point out in the following part of your post, it's been a year and a half. Get over it. The guy hasn't put a foot wrong since. Do you even watch TNA/pay $30-40 bucks for said PPV's?

It has been a year and a half. FFS, he has shown repeatedly that he will not get cleaned up. How many chances can the son of a bitch get?

Also, the "Hardy's the biggest draw" argument is bullshit. When has TNA seen any major increase in ratings or buyrates in years? He sells t-shirts. Nice. He would sell just as many t-shirts being in the upper midcard as he would be selling if he is in the main event. TNA has created new stars but when their biggest ppv comes around they go back to the drug addict who has burned them and other companies repeatedly just because he hasn't gotten arrested again? It is a fucking joke. I hope Aries wins because that would be a nice rub, but I don't know how you can trust him in your "biggest ppv ever".

of course it's not. He's the biggest draw they have. Just because buyrates and ratings don't go up doesn't make that any less true. TNA would probably struggle to permanently raise ratings atm if they signed Steve Austin and The Rock.

And as I say everytime these kind of threads pop up, I'm still not seeing this "burned repeatedly" argument that everyone likes to bang on about whenever talk of Jeff Hardy and drugs comes up. He fucked up in TNA during what I thought was creatively his best run anywhere ever, yes. But other than that, he left WWE of his own accord both times for reasons you may or may not like, including the 2nd time turning down the WWE's offer of what would have been his "biggest contract" ever. "Jeff Hardy is a huge worthless fuck up" might be the most stale and redundant argument on all of the internet after "Hulk Hogan and John Cena are evil".

Xero
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
The burned repeatedly argument holds up because the first time he left WWE, he was showing up late or out right no-showing events as well as refusing rehab.

Personally, it's been a year and a half, this is when I would have said he should have STARTED being integrated back into the main event, but he's been main event for a looong time. He hasn't earned the right to headline the biggest PPV of the year in my eyes.

Do I blame Jeff, though? LOL, no. TNA are risking this. WWE wouldn't have brought him back and let him headline Mania this soon.

Is it good business? I guess, if he doesn't fuck him. He likely won't, but why take the risk this soon?

CSL
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
yeah, the first time. None of the above mentioned behaviour was a factor second time around, in fact they were desperate to keep the guy. So it doesn't really hold up at all since there wasn't really a problem from him quitting WWE the first time (2003?) until the shit last year (2011, 8 years)

As for the rest, let's not be so naive. Professional wrestling has never ever been a business of morals. It's about money. And if somebody can make money from somebody, they're going to be at the forefront. If Jeff Hardy was "the right guy" to headline WrestleMania in terms of momentum, drawing etc don't think for a second that WWE would hesitate to put him in that spot and make as much money as possible as opposed to some variety of "feeling out process". Not to mention a year and a half is a HUGE amount of time in wrestling.

Nicky Fives
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I still think it was a stupid idea having Roode lose the Title to Aries..... BFG could have built around a James Storm versus Bobby Roode "final encounter" "Iron Man" Match.... Storm would go over and he could then defend against Hardy..... that just makes more sense to me, but since when has TNA made sense?

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I like Aries as champ, personally. Roode was great, though.

James Steele
09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe they DO view Jeff as "the guy", but they want to put Aries over him to show everyone that Aries is the new "the guy". You ever thought of that?

They can do that on a smaller PPV or iMPACT without risking blowing your biggest ppv of the year.

Also, whoever said that Jeff has been half-assing it must not be watching a lot of TNA recently. He's been more than solid.

No doubt, but he was busting his ass and doing great things during his run when he showed up fucked up to headline a PPV against STING.

Emperor Smeat
09-14-2012, 03:25 PM

He screwed up again since his return?

Didn't not know about that considering I think one of the terms was him going to jail if he screwed up again. If that is the case, then Bully Ray should definitely been the one having the title shot or even someone else.

CSL
09-14-2012, 03:35 PM
He screwed up again since his return?

nope

James Steele
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
I didn't say he screwed up since his return. I am saying he has repeatedly shown he has no interest in getting cleaned up over the past 10 years. It's only been a year and a half. He had a good run in WWE and then he relapsed. He had a good run in TNA and then relapsed. How will this be any different based on his history? You can't do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results.

CSL
09-14-2012, 04:12 PM
when did he relapse in WWE?

XL
09-14-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm less fussed about the whole "pushing the drug addict who fucked up in the past" thing, I am more surprised by the choice when there are more interesting/seemingly obvious choices available.

Aries has history with Bully Ray and it would be a very fresh headline act for the company's biggest show. Aries would have a blinding match against a Angle who is just as over as Hardy and seems tacked onto the AJ/Daniels/Kaz stuff. It seemed they were building to Storm stopping Roode which would have been the end of a year long story. Then you have the whole Aces & Eights thing, a reveal and consequent match with the leader/man behind it would have been an option.

All those seem more interesting on paper.

Rammsteinmad
09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Surely Jeff Hardy can't be this much of a draw. Really?

James Steele
09-14-2012, 06:16 PM
when did he relapse in WWE?

I'm sorry. He decided to get busted with a shitload of drugs shortly after he left WWE. I'm sure there is no connection.

CSL
09-14-2012, 06:26 PM
ahh speculation and assumption. The solid base of any argument or point.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 06:27 PM
They can do that on a smaller PPV or iMPACT without risking blowing your biggest ppv of the year.

Possibly, but wouldn't it mean more on the biggest PPV of the year?

No doubt, but he was busting his ass and doing great things during his run when he showed up fucked up to headline a PPV against STING.

Well they've clearly decided to give him a second chance. If that were so much of a problem, he would have never found his way back into TNA. However, here he is. He's on the roster. They can't hold the past against him anymore if they ever allowed it to slide in the first place.

The dude is over. He's doing good work right now. I probably would have gone with Angle, but he's really not the worst choice. Better than RVD, even.

I'm not purchasing it either way just yet, though.

Xero
09-14-2012, 06:30 PM
That bust really was suspiciously timed.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Nobody talks about all the drugs HBK did anymore.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Besides maybe Marty Jannetty.

James Steele
09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Besides maybe Marty Jannetty.

His interviews in the HBK DVD were hilarious.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Heartbreak and Triumph? I have that set, but I don't remember much Marty. Am I missing something?

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I bet I could sell my morphine to Jeff Hardy before his next match.

CSL
09-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Nobody talks about all the drugs HBK did anymore.

this is another thing (and this is in general, not specifically at this thread). I don't understand what the fuck exactly it has to do with internet wrestling fans what drugs any wrestler decides to "partake" in. Drug culture was a huge part of the wrestling industry and on some level absolutely always will be, including pretty much every wrestler anybody reading this right now has ever been fond of. Jeff Hardy was just daft enough to get very publicly caught. "Pro wrestler has pain pills, steroids and a bit of coke in his house." Well what a grand surprise that is. This self-righteous "anybody that takes drugs is a bad human being" schtick that lots of people are fond to take (in every walk of life) is spectacularly ridiculous and short-sighted.

Anybody Thrilla
09-14-2012, 06:46 PM
If you appreciate good music at all, you almost have to give drugs a pass.

CSL
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I think that pretty much goes for every field/area/walk of life tbh

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Is it possible that they're giving Jeff Hardy this "second chance" because everyone else is also addicted to hard drugs and booze?

Skippord
09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
it's a drag that he fucked up during his last title run

he was pretty awesome then

St. Jimmy
09-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Jeff Hardy shouldn't have a job let alone be anywhere near a main event. He took a shit on the business. If he would've pulled what he did in 2011 in the late 80's or early 90's someone in the locker room would've legitimately killed him.

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Drug culture was a huge part of the wrestling industry and on some level absolutely always will be, including pretty much every wrestler anybody reading this right now has ever been fond of.

lol. Let's not get too crazy with the generalizations.

Wishbone
09-14-2012, 09:55 PM
*GASP* A wrestler did drugs?! How can this have happened?! We must never let him wrestle again because there's no way he can somehow turn around and become one of the greatest of all time!... wait....

Wishbone
09-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Not that I'm comparing HBK to Hardy at all just find it funny that people bitch about Jeff having done drugs when probably EVERY wrestler ever has.

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM

Not that I'm comparing HBK to Hardy at all just find it funny that people bitch about Jeff having done drugs when probably EVERY wrestler ever has.

lol. Seriously? "EVERY wrestler ever"?

Wishbone
09-14-2012, 10:25 PM
lol. Seriously? "EVERY wrestler ever"?

Ok so I'm exaggerating a bit but you get my point, and really probably 70% or more of the current roster have atleast tried drugs at some point. (Yes weed and spice count as drugs) To hate on Hardy for his former drug use is just stupid. The guy makes money and he's pretty entertaining to watch. Who cares if he's an idiot in real life? Does his drug use make Charlie Sheen any less hilarious? Does his drug use make Robert Downey Jr. any less a great actor? Hell in the former's case it the reason he's hilarious!

CSL
09-14-2012, 10:27 PM

hence the "pretty much" part. I'm not saying every single wrestler ever, simply most of them, be it gear, recreational, pain pills or a combination of them/all 3. If only it was a generalization.

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I think there's a big difference between taking pain killers and whatever the fuck it is Jeff Hardy happens to be putting in his body at any given moment. Even with a "pretty much" there's still a lot of speculation and generalization.

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Ok so I'm exaggerating a bit but you get my point, and really probably 70% or more of the current roster have atleast tried drugs at some point. (Yes weed and spice count as drugs) To hate on Hardy for his former drug use is just stupid.

I'd hardly count 70% having at least tried drugs as enough to warrant an "everybody" even as a slight exaggeration. And that's just "tried". Jeff Hardy didn't just "try" drugs. The man was an addict.

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Not that I really care how many drugs anyone takes. I'm just speaking to the whole "pretty much everyone in wrestling does drugs" thing. It's a big generalization that people like to throw around that is really nothing more than speculation based on the need to feel "in the know" about the "dark side" of wrestling.

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Wait guys, what if TNA's going to drop the ball on this Jeff Hardy thing. Do you think it's possible?

CSL
09-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Not that I really care how many drugs anyone takes. I'm just speaking to the whole "pretty much everyone in wrestling does drugs" thing. It's a big generalization that people like to throw around that is really nothing more than speculation based on the need to feel "in the know" about the "dark side" of wrestling.

in relation to some people, you may have a point but it's hardly a "dark side", it's a pretty open thing. The view of things like steroids and recreational drugs inside the wrestling business and outside the wrestling business are 2 very different things (can't really speak as much for pain pills but they're clearly more prevalent the "higher" up the ladder you go given the schedule/wear and tear) The only reason you use language like "dark side" is because naturally the only time these things tend to be spoken about publicly are from famous cases of abuse and overuse.

CSL
09-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I think there's a big difference between taking pain killers and whatever the fuck it is Jeff Hardy happens to be putting in his body at any given moment.

there really isn't. Pain pills have killed a fuckload more wrestlers than your average recreational drug ever has.

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Some valid points, CSL. There are a lot of high-stress careers with similar dark sides. Think of all those coke-head investment bankers and stock brokers.

Still, considering how many professional wrestlers have died young and did so rather publicly it's worth addressing.

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Exactly. The only time these things tend to be spoken about publicly are from famous cases of abuse and overuse. Outside of that, there is literally NO basis for speculation unless you have some inside information the rest of the public doesn't. Much less a "pretty much every wrestler anyone reading this has ever been fond of." Has pretty much every wrestler anyone reading this has ever been fond of been publicly outed in some way as being a drug user?

#1-norm-fan
09-14-2012, 11:12 PM
there really isn't. Pain pills have killed a fuckload more wrestlers than your average recreational drug ever has.

Abuse of pain killers. I don't think you can count a prescription used "properly" in the same vain as Jeff Hardy doing coke for breakfast.

teamXtremist
09-14-2012, 11:32 PM
is jeff a risk hell yeah and too others points this is a pattern with jeff- fck up come back strong then fall flat on his face.But he is a known commodity and with more wwe execs coming in i can see them trying to make jeff the face of the co. routine again just dont expect the outcome to change

Keith
09-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Jeff Hardy has been given more opportunities to shine and be the man after fucking up than anyone else in history.

I guess there's something to be said for that.

Kane Knight
09-15-2012, 02:33 AM
This self-righteous "anybody that takes drugs is a bad human being" schtick that lots of people are fond to take (in every walk of life) is spectacularly ridiculous and short-sighted.

Has anyone really taken it towards wrestling, though?

Besides maybe a few Punktards, that is.

I mean, attacking Jeff over it...There's David Bowie, whose best days involved making awesome music coked out of his brain. Then there's the dude who lives down the street whose best days involved collecting empties for a cheap fix.

A lot of people manage to do drugs and not totally fuck their lives up. Granted, Bowie might not have had a heart attack if he didn't do massive amounts of coke, but that's hard to say. But most of these guys, you don't really see an impact on their careers. Unless, of course, they die.

Guys like Matt and Jeff, you can definitively see the way it impacts them.

Coming down on these fuck-ups is not coming down on all drug users.

To put it on a forum scale, there's Sascha and there's Clox. Sascha is, in this comparison, David Bowie. I suppose we can call him the "Thin White bitch." And Clox is sucking dick for change.

While we're on drugs (huhuhuhuhuh), I think it's very important for wrestling fans to accept that the shit people do to entertain them costs lives, up to and including drugs. Drugs for the pain, drugs to help their "look," drugs for fun, and drugs because "What the fuck else are you going to do in Cleavland?"

This gets especially bad when we're talking about combining them. Steroids can be used safely. Illegal steroids combined with coke and painkillers is a lethal cocktail that's claimed several people in all probability.

The internet should care, and really all wrestling fans should care, though probably for different reasons. I'm actually a little disgusted by wrestling for knowing what goes into the metaphorical hot dog. Policing these guys is kind of dumb, yeah, but "why do we care?" Well, we're kind of the cause.

But how many people are really coming down on Randy Orton for failing piss tests? Or Edge? Or Masters or Kennedy or the Hurricane? Hell, Brian Kendrick was "the man" for smoking pot and just paying off the fines.

Tom Guycott
09-15-2012, 05:14 AM
You have to punish Bully Ray for thinking of not resigning with the company when they approached him about 30 seconds before his deal expired.

Could be worse. They could have gone the WCW/Chris Benoit route and handed him the title to try to coax him to stay, then have him immediately drop it to... say... EY* because that's what you do when you try to win someone over!

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/t/tony/09.jpg
"That'll put butts in seats!"

*I like Zach Galif- Eric Young as much as the next person, but I was illustrating a point.

Tom Guycott
09-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Wait guys, what if TNA's going to drop the ball <s>on this Jeff Hardy thing.</s> Do you think it's possible?

:yes:

James Steele
09-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Jeff Hardy didn't just casually use drugs. He let it get to the point where he ruined a PPV main event when TNA was somewhat interesting and was getting attention for the right reasons.

Doesn't make it right, but Shawn Michaels never got so pilled out of his mind that they had to cut the main event world title match to 60 seconds.

CSL
09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Doesn't make it right, but Shawn Michaels never got so pilled out of his mind that they had to cut the main event world title match to 60 seconds.

I'm on my way out of the front door so I'll respond to the rest later but whilst it wasn't a PPV main event, the only reason HBK didn't go on TV whilst off his head was because WWE are a professional company and sent him home instead.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 10:06 AM
TNA has clearly forgiven him for his past transgressions. It would be a waste of everyone's time to continue punishing him at this point.

Kane Knight
09-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm on my way out of the front door so I'll respond to the rest later but whilst it wasn't a PPV main event, the only reason HBK didn't go on TV whilst off his head was because WWE are a professional company and sent him home instead.

Hasn't this professional company let Road Dogg and X-Pac wrestle shitfaced in the past?

CSL
09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Abuse of pain killers. I don't think you can count a prescription used "properly" in the same vain as Jeff Hardy doing coke for breakfast.

prescriptions get used properly in a a cushy fantasy world, in reality they're as easy to get hold of as gear and I know you don't believe the guys that supply that always do so legally. And when you hear of guys needing pills to sleep, pills to wake up and "get going" etc, that's equally as "detrimental", in fact more so, as Jeff Hardy doing coke for breakfast. Besides, I never said that everybody likes to do Jeff Hardy amounts of drugs, it's just there.

Jeff Hardy has been given more opportunities to shine and be the man after fucking up than anyone else in history.

I guess there's something to be said for that.

dunno about that. As I said, in terms of "second chances", he fucked up once. Every other "opportunity" he's been given has been an the same ground/level pegging as anybody else.

Has anyone really taken it towards wrestling, though?

Besides maybe a few Punktards, that is.

I did read the whole post, just cut most of it out to save people scrolling through again but to an extent, yeah and as your following line states, it's usually some variety of "not very intelligent" people. But as my post that you quoted said, it was more aimed at life in general and the self-righteous type that have this notion that if a person enjoys taking drugs, they must therefore be a worthless member of society.

But the stuff in wrestling alone is annoying enough. I guess my point is the "sheep"/pile-on nature in general with wrestling fans. Jeff Hardy likes to take recreational drugs. This is no secret. I believe he has essentially walked away from a very high paying and prominent job with WWE twice so that he could essentially partake in taking lots of drugs whilst also giving his broken ass body a chance to recover somewhat and wind down from road "burn out". Outside of his pain pill problem back in 2002/3 (a problem which is ridiculously common amongst wrestlers and even then, it didn't translate to TV) he has only fucked up once at that TNA PPV. If the guy chooses to get high off his tits away from the wrestling business, it has fuck all to do with anybody else. The only thing wrestling fans should have anything to say about is whether or not he's doing his job properly. And outside of that one incident last year, he's never failed to do that.

TNA has clearly forgiven him for his past transgressions. It would be a waste of everyone's time to continue punishing him at this point.

this x1000. It makes me laugh when people write off and severely question certain decisions made by big wrestling companies in regards to the well-being and use of their talent when their view is coming mostly through a computer monitor as opposed to actually being around/employing/knowing/having far more insight into a person/persons. Even things like guys getting pushed. See: Lance Storm. You see a lot of people saying "Lance Storm should have been pushed all the way" when all 3 major wrestling organizations of the 90's/early 2000's with a hell of a lot more of an idea/experience/a clue than these people all thought differently.

Hasn't this professional company let Road Dogg and X-Pac wrestle shitfaced in the past?

absolutely no idea, have never heard of it. Wouldn't be surprised tho, these guys are/were practically drug pros, wouldn't shock me at all that they could essentially hide it well enough.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 11:59 AM
The most objectionable thing that Jeff Hardy has ever done is record that "Modest" song.

Keith
09-15-2012, 12:01 PM
He should never get title opportunities based on that fact alone.

CSL
09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
ha yeah but that Another Me theme was pretty bwadass tho/evened the playing field

CSL
09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
but there are also some of his songs on one of the Hardy DVD's and they're pretty horrific :S

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I think that some of you guys need to give Jeff Hardy....One. More. SHOT!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gjLK4AW3tKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CSL
09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
bless him, I know he likes to be all artsy and express himself and stuff but oooofff that song :(

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Makes blenderizing your balls a viable option.

DAMN iNATOR
09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
UGH...Just hit play on that vid and instantly wished I hadn't. Why the fuck does it sound like a nuclear plant's meltdown klaxons going off (at least the screechy bits do)?

James Steele
09-15-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't care about recreational use. There is a difference between use and abuse. When you get arrested for a shitload of drugs, leave a major company, and show up to a PPV to work a main event fucked up so bad they have to cut the match to a minute - that is abuse. Shawn Michaels got cleaned up and proved it for years. Hardy has yet to show that he can stay clean. If anything, whenever he gets (no pun intended) really high is when he ends up falling hard on his face. I hope Jeff Hardy stays clean and I don't think he will make the same mistake, but I don't think it is wise for TNA to give Jeff Hardy so much already. The redemption storyline is great and all, but it will look pretty fucking stupid if he falls again. A year isn't enough to prove he is trustworthy in this spot after his history.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Based very loosely on our current discussion here, how did you guys feel about the way TNA handled his last slip up on screen? Basically every member of the roster that mattered got a chance to crack on him and call him a fuck up. Do you guys think that was a good move?

Keith
09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
No, but when we talk TNA, most things don't make sense anyway.

So he'll keep on main eventing and probably become Champion somewhere down the line.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I thought it was OK. They had to address it somehow. His main event was just too bizarre to not address, and they handled it about as realistically as possible.

This almost feels like the culmination of all of that business to me.

Keith
09-15-2012, 03:13 PM
They could make a big story about how he's overcome great odds and is now on the brink of greatness once again.

They could build the whole thing around that and make it a "feel good story".

They're just not doing it.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Based very loosely on our current discussion here, how did you guys feel about the way TNA handled his last slip up on screen? Basically every member of the roster that mattered got a chance to crack on him and call him a fuck up. Do you guys think that was a good move?

Stupid. Just write him off. Name 1 time where bringing someone's "personal demons" on-screeen ended well?

No, but when we talk TNA, most things don't make sense anyway.

So he'll keep on main eventing and probably become Champion somewhere down the line.

He absolutely deserves another shot if he can keep clean, but I don't see how a little over a year is enough to prove that when he has fallen back into old ways so many times. Jeff Hardy should be treated like Scott Hall in WCW. You let him have fun in the upper midcard, but you never put him in a situation where he can burn you again.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Maybe they had him win it because nobody expected him to, based on all the drug stuff. Bookers love to swerve.

CSL
09-15-2012, 03:52 PM
He absolutely deserves another shot if he can keep clean, but I don't see how a little over a year is enough to prove that when he has fallen back into old ways so many times.

1. he went to rehab, which was a pretty big step for somebody who said years ago he didn't need rehab when WWE wanted him to go, just time off/get away from the road burn out (and he turned out to be right)

2. Shawn Michaels was sent home in for being out of his tree at one of the tapings before WrestleMania X7. Just over a year and half later, he won the World title at Survivor Series. Pretty much an identical amount of time.

3. You're still saying things like "so many times" when it's still only affected his work twice. In that time he won 2 WWE titles and a World Heavyweight title, was a focal point of shows, was in top line feuds, held numerous mid card titles, participated in a million gimmick matches, all without incident. He's been back on TV for a year now without incident. Not seeing what more exactly you want from the guy.

Anybody Thrilla
09-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I think Jeff Hardy doing drugs is a work.

CSL
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Jeff77 http://www.clubpenguinunited.com/home/wp-includes/images/smilies/CPU_ShockedFace_Emoticon.png

James Steele
09-15-2012, 04:12 PM
1. he went to rehab, which was a pretty big step for somebody who said years ago he didn't need rehab when WWE wanted him to go, just time off/get away from the road burn out (and he turned out to be right)

It is a positive step. He left WWE for being "burnt out" and soon after which he was busted for having a shitload of drugs.

2. Shawn Michaels was sent home in for being out of his tree at one of the tapings before WrestleMania X7. Just over a year and half later, he won the World title at Survivor Series. Pretty much an identical amount of time.

Shawn wasn't on the active roster and wasn't even wrestling. He got straightened up and proved himself upon his return. Shawn Michaels also never had the legal issues Jeff Hardy has had. He came back without even having the intent to wrestle and he ended up wrestling part-time until he got the bite to come back full time. It's not so much the time frame with Jeff Hardy as it is his history of relapsing.

3. You're still saying things like "so many times" when it's still only affected his work twice. In that time he won 2 WWE titles and a World Heavyweight title, was a focal point of shows, was in top line feuds, held numerous mid card titles, participated in a million gimmick matches, all without incident. He's been back on TV for a year now without incident. Not seeing what more exactly you want from the guy.

"interfered with his work only twice" Two times is quite a fucking bit especially for a guy who you are putting in the marquee match on your "biggest ppv ever" and potentially pushing back to the main event long-term. You could have kept Hardy in the upper midcard for another year and let him help put over new guys and gain back the trust of everybody before doing this and it wouldn't be as big of an issue to most I imagine. Personally, I'd never let the guy be in the main event again which is why I find it so shocking. Like I said earlier, he is over and is an asset but he is also a risk. I'd treat him like WCW used Scott Hall. Have him on the card, put him in some feuds, but do not trust your marquee main event/major storyline to him.

SlickyTrickyDamon
09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
At least it's not James Storm again.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Did Bully Ray and D-Von resign with TNA?

DLVH84
09-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Bully Ray did, James.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Hell yeah! Reverend D-Von returns to SmackDown! I think WWE seriously missed the boat with that gimmick. They went the corny route instead of really using its full potential.

#1-norm-fan
09-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Bray Wyatt is the proper way to do a preacher gimmick.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 04:46 PM
There are many ways to skin a cat.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
A machete is the best way though.

itsmeJD
09-15-2012, 04:50 PM
chainsaw begs to differ.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
chainsaw begs to differ.

We're skinning a cat not mutilating it, you sick fuck.

CSL
09-15-2012, 04:57 PM
because James Steele is an awkward Greenwich-sympathizing bastard and I can't quote his response:

1. I'm not sure if you're hinting at anything here but if you are, I don't see why it matters. It didn't affect his work beforehand.

2. But there is no real "relapse" to speak of yet. He was a frequent recreational drug user who went too far one night. Since his initial burn out, he got "ahold" of himself and quite successfully did the drugs he wanted to do around his career. This isn't somebody that has made apologies or promises to get clean and so forth and consistently let people down. And then once he really fucked up and let people down, he addressed the problem and went to rehab. And hasn't relapsed since. It's not like addicts have a better chance of not doing something the longer they stay away from alcohol or drugs, that's not how addiction works. That's if the guy is even addicted.

3. I'd say working 3-4 matches a week for 52 weeks, not to mention however long he was clean for before they took the chance to bring him back is a pretty decent amount of time to "gain back the trust" of everybody. And comparing him to a guy that would immediately hit the beers as soon as he arrived at a building to top up on whatever he'd drank and taken on the way there is a bit of an extreme comparison. If he was anything like Scott Hall/deserved that treatment, it definitely would have shown by now. This is Scott Hall who's 2 last TNA runs combined were shorter than the amount of time Jeff has been on TV without incident since return.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes, I'm hinting that there might be some correlation between Jeff Hardy leaving WWE due to getting "burnt out" and getting arrested with a shitload of drugs (more than a recreational amount) shortly after. I can't prove it, but to act like it is highly unlikely is just being willfully ignorant.

itsmeJD
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
We're skinning a cat not mutilating it, you sick fuck.

I was gonna be gentle....just a little off the top and sides. You'd still have a skinless cat. It's art.

CSL
09-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes, I'm hinting that there might be some correlation between Jeff Hardy leaving WWE due to getting "burnt out" and getting arrested with a shitload of drugs (more jut bethan a recreational amount) shortly after. I can't prove it, but to act like it is highly unlikely is just being willfully ignorant.

but what sense does that really make? He was involved in a public protracted "will he, won't he?" schtick all summer long/for like half of 2009 in terms of him re-signing. It was quite publicly known that he wanted/needed time off for months and months beforehand. Do you think that he somehow got word that he was going to get raided and somehow fixed it so that his contract signed 3 years ago to the day expired just weeks beforehand? That the police are wrestling fans and thought it'd be a good idea not to raid whilst his profile was at it's highest? Did WWE wait until he was gone and then tip them off? I don't understand your point here. Seems like a clear case of good luck for WWE and bad luck for Jeff Hardy in terms of the timing.

James Steele
09-15-2012, 06:13 PM
but what sense does that really make? He was involved in a public protracted "will he, won't he?" schtick all summer long/for like half of 2009 in terms of him re-signing. It was quite publicly known that he wanted/needed time off for months and months beforehand. Do you think that he somehow got word that he was going to get raided and somehow fixed it so that his contract signed 3 years ago to the day expired just weeks beforehand? That the police are wrestling fans and thought it'd be a good idea not to raid whilst his profile was at it's highest? Did WWE wait until he was gone and then tip them off? I don't understand your point here. Seems like a clear case of good luck for WWE and bad luck for Jeff Hardy in terms of the timing.

Point being he was still obviously heavily involved in drugs besides a wake & bake here and there. You just don't wake up one day and go "I know I haven't done drugs in awhile, but damn it I feel like getting a shitload of it today." I also think getting back into drugs are what led to him getting "burnt out". Is that really all that crazy of a conclusion to draw?

CSL
09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
and the point still stands that it didn't affect his work. That was the most prosperous period of his career. I doubt there was any "getting back into it" to speak of, everything he was busted for he could do without real repercussion in moderation. Pain pills are a part of the job, getting done for gear is "avoidable" given how the tests work in terms of your testosterone levels and you can pass a piss test in 2-3 days after coke. Which was half of my point to begin with in terms of doing this stuff and it not affecting his work/having anything to do with other people. And no, it wouldn't be a crazy conclusion to draw but I'm a lot more inclined to believe a guy like Jeff Hardy, who already has that "carefree, I'm an artsy free spirit" schtick going, is going to burn out a lot quicker than most given his style, all of the bumps he's ever taken, his wrecked body, the restless leg syndrome etc on top of the fact he's always been one of these guys that doesn't "need" wrestling.

Skippord
09-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I've heard that above Jeff Hardy song several times and I had no idea it actually had words

KyleEmmott
09-16-2012, 10:48 AM
If you were running a company wouldn't you do what makes you money.

James Steele
09-16-2012, 06:12 PM
If you were running a company wouldn't you do what makes you money.

Risk/Reward is a part of running a successful business. TNA is stupid, so they'll throw a guy out there royally fucked up and refund money instead of coming up with something on the fly.