PDA

View Full Version : When you read a book....

Kane Knight
09-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Actually, more, "when you read a book after having seen the movie, comma...."

I'm reading the Princess Bride for the first time in my life, in part because it was on sale in the Kindle store a month or two ago and in part because I find Kurt Vonnegut is not good bedtime reading. Anyway, for the first time in my life, I find myself unable to really picture what's going on without hearing it in the voices of the actors.

I've actually found that they are completely bound to my experience of the story, even though it doesn't necessarily jove with what goes on in the books.

So, like, now I'm curious. Is it normal to associate the film characters with a book like that? I've never done it before. Maybe this is different because viewing the movie dates back to my childhood and the book dates back about two days ago, or whatever. I hear my friends talk about picturing the Harry Potter cast in those books, but I've never had that problem.

So...Do you? Don't you? Am I suffering from a tumour?

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Whenever I read Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited," I always had Jeremy Iron's voice in my head doing the narration, and I pictured Anthony Andrews as Sebastian. Also, when I read Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series I pictured Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe.

But, when I read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles I never pictured Brad Pitt as Louis, Tom Cruise (thankfully) and the other guy as Lestat, and Antonio Banderas as Armand.

I think this was due to the fact that I saw the series' of Brideshead Rivisited and Sharpe before I read the books, while I read the Vampire Chronicles before and after seeing Interview with the Vampire, and that abomination that combined elements from The Vampire Lestat and the Queen of the Damned.

El Fangel
09-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I watched all the episodes of Game of Thrones and I am reading the first book literally right now. I completely agree with you in that everytime I see Eddard Stark mentioned, I picture and hear the text I read in Sean Beans voice.

Lock Jaw
09-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I am reading the Game of Thrones series right now. All I picture are the actors.

Harry Potter, the only book I read after the movie was the first one. So I tended to just picture it however I wanted.

Sixx
09-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Only example I can think of is when I read The Da Vinci Code after seeing the film.

Couldn't help but picture that professor as Tom Hanks with that ridiculous haircut.