PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody in the WWE who sounds worse on the mic than Antonio Cesaro?

Gertner
09-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I know this will come as a shock, but I really do like Cesaro's look and he's solid in the ring, but good God if he's not the most bland on the mic that's come across in ages, then I don't know who is.

I really think this U.S title run could be his only singles title, which pains me, because he does have a good look to him. It's almost bordering Seth Rollins territory where I cringe when he speaks, but am fascinated with him in the ring.

DLVH84
09-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Maybe that's why Aksana is his manager. I hope soon they have him and Kassius Ohno team up and give WWE's Tag Team division a real kick in the ass.

loopydate
09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't think he's necessarily bland, but this five-languages thing they have him doing is atrocious. I'd like to see what he could do with a more traditional promo without using that crutch.

Gertner
09-22-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't think he's necessarily bland, but this five-languages thing they have him doing is atrocious. I'd like to see what he could do with a more traditional promo without using that crutch.

I agree. It sounds forced, not very natural. Perhaps if he spoke more than 1 word at a time he'd come off better.

Gertner
09-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Maybe that's why Aksana is his manager. I hope soon they have him and Kassius Ohno team up and give WWE's Tag Team division a real kick in the ass.

I don't think Aksana was doing him any favours. She sounds almost as bad as Cesaro.

Fignuts
09-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Watching some indie promos of claudio, and it doesn't look better.

Rammsteinmad
09-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Sadly, I agree. I can understand the WWE wanting to utilize a guy who is fluent in five languages, but the whole "saying a word in five languages" thing is pretty dull. Really don't know what else they could do with it though, other than have him cut promos in random languages every time.

Guy can definitely go in the ring though, and has a fantastic look about him. I really hope he has a good run in the WWE.

Shisen Kopf
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Of the River is pretty bland too.

Razzamajazz
09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
hello, bonjour, hola, salaam, shalom, guten tag

that is proof i am fluent in 6 languages

Joesgonnakillyou
09-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but he's foreign so he's always gonna get over as a heel

whiteyford
09-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Think a lot of guys suffer from the same problem, scripted promos, he's just landed with gimmicky scripted promos. Still better than Khali though :shifty:

Emperor Smeat
09-22-2012, 01:08 PM
There are a lot hat are worse than him but do agree on it would be the best for him to drop the 5 languages routine. Either that or instead of just saying 1 word, he insults the audience or opponent in a different language each week and Aksana translates it.

Tommy Gunn
09-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Drew McIntyre is the biggest personality vacuum to ever hold a microphone, just the same miserable Scottish sneer over and over again like someone has taken his porridge oats.

Anybody Thrilla
09-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I think Zack Ryder sounds worse on the mic.

Anyway, I think Cesaro could benefit from a lengthy feud with an established upper midcarder. I hate the fact that the ridiculous Cobra feud with Santino is also for the United States title. He should feud with Christian and just have the feud be about some awesome back-and-forth matches.

KaosDarksol
09-22-2012, 02:51 PM
they really do need to focus more on his in ring ability rather than have him cut shitty five different language promos, and if they want to give him a manager give him one that knows what a llama is.

Gertner
09-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Here's a clip of Antonio on Saturday Morning Slam. Go to the 12 minute mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1H1m8yLKQFM?list=PL47F8E50B18C69067&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jesus Christ he sounds terrible.

Nicky Fives
09-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think he sounds as terrible as The Great Khali..... he could use a mouthpiece.....

SlickyTrickyDamon
09-22-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't think he sounds as terrible as The Great Khali..... he could use a mouthpiece.....

Sort of explains why he was a tag team wrestler. Chris Hero was the mouth piece. He has apparently dumped Aksana as his valet/girlfriend for costing him the match on Smackdown. So, I guess we'll see what they are planning for him going forward. Maybe he'll get better with a little bit more experience.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I know this will come as a shock, but I really do like Cesaro's look and he's solid in the ring, but good God if he's not the most bland on the mic that's come across in ages, then I don't know who is.

I really think this U.S title run could be his only singles title, which pains me, because he does have a good look to him. It's almost bordering Seth Rollins territory where I cringe when he speaks, but am fascinated with him in the ring.

Define "worse".

Because despite your ironic enjoyment of him on the mic, Heath Slater makes me cringe more than Cesaro does when he talks.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Of the River is pretty bland too.

Del Rio is a weird case of a guy who has loads of charisma and appeal but cuts ridiculously paint-by-numbers, boring and uncreative promos. He's a prime example of charisma not necessarily amounting to awesome promo skills.

SlickyTrickyDamon
09-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Slater has been pretty entertaining, but I love annoying heels. I even bought his theme song on Amazon. He's the one man band baby!

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
You can't tell me he is remotely talented on the mic and anything more than John Laurinaitis/early Vickie Guererro ironic entertaining.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
He's not even annoying to me. I just feel bad for him because he sounds mentally retarded and then gets his ass beaten.

Fignuts
09-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Here's a clip of Antonio on Saturday Morning Slam. Go to the 12 minute mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1H1m8yLKQFM?list=PL47F8E50B18C69067&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jesus Christ he sounds terrible.

The video is only 11 minutes long.

MORE ANTI-INDIE GERTNER PROPAGANDA

GD
09-22-2012, 05:23 PM
To be honest, the five-language thingy sounds pathetic but gets him a lot of heat.

"I, ANTONIO CESARO, PERSONIFY GREAAAAAAAAAAAATNESSSSS!"

Tommy Gunn
09-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Lets give the guy a chance, he's been on the main roster for 5 minutes.

Ultra Mantis
09-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Darren Young is probably the worst talker in the WWE right now. Every time he speaks it's like his brain falls right out of his mouth.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 05:37 PM
I actually don't mind the five languages thing. It's an obnoxious heel gimmick. It's not like he's cutting long promos he has no business cutting. He's doing a cocky heel schtick.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Darren Young is probably the worst talker in the WWE right now. Every time he speaks it's like his brain falls right out of his mouth.

Oh yeah. Forgot about D Young. Pretty hilariously awful. Ain't nobody gonna take any wang from him. And this generic "We're getting serious now, dammit!" thing that it looks like they're heading for with PTP is only gonna make it worse.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-22-2012, 08:33 PM
He is definitely a guy who could benefit from someone like Paul Heyman in his corner, at least until he gets more comfortable on the mic. He's not the best at cutting a promo, but he is naturally charismatic.

Actually, if WWE wants to recreate Nexus, stick him with Barrett. Antonio would be absolutely amazing in a stable that is made up of guys fighting purely for financial gain. Bring in Kassius Ohno and Langston, and a chick, maybe Eve, who is also in it for the money, and I think it'd go well.

Shadrick
09-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Actually, Titus ONeill on the mic this past Monday on Raw wasn't too shabby.

Indifferent Clox
09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
tyson kid, yoshi tatsu, brodus clay, batista, randy orton

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 09:53 PM
lol. Brodus Clay?

Also, wasn't aware Batista is back.

Tom Guycott
09-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Lets give the guy a chance, he's been on the main roster for 5 minutes.

This. Remember how God-awful Otunga was on NXT? Remember how grating Thwagger and Rhodes' speech impediments used to be? Give him time, and hopefully WWE will give him something in the way of character development, and he can grow on the mic over time. Even Jeff Hardy had marginally improved his promo skills over a number of years... I'm sure Castagnoli can do the same given enough time. In five languages, even.

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2012, 01:41 AM
To be fair, Otunga didn't become less awful. They just happened to find a character for him that doesn't expose his awfulness so much.

KIRA
09-23-2012, 03:26 AM
You can't tell me he is remotely talented on the mic and anything more than John Laurinaitis/early Vickie Guererro ironic entertaining.

Wait refresh my memory so early promos Vicki didnt have a chrome peeling shrill

voice? I thought that was the entire reason for the massive heat she generates.

el bobbo
09-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Actually, Titus ONeill on the mic this past Monday on Raw wasn't too shabby.

I don't know if it's the fact that Titus isn't that bad on the mic, or we're just hoping for a huge push for the entire tag team division. Either way, don't have Darren Young speak to anyone.

MoFo
09-23-2012, 04:13 PM
CM Punk worse IMO

Swiss Ultimate
09-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Pretty horrible gimmick now that I've seen it. 5 languages. Great. It'd be better if he pretended to know them but didn't.

Keith
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
It's not really Antonio on the mic that's horrible, it's his gimmick. He doesn't have much to work with at the moment.

DLVH84
09-23-2012, 08:08 PM
It's not really Antonio on the mic that's horrible, it's his gimmick. He doesn't have much to work with at the moment.

It's pretty much the case with almost everyone in the roster. I hope they all find their own way to get over. Because sometimes, you got to take what you want and it is that kind of business to do that.

Keith
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I guess it's a case of "How bad do you want it?"

Do you want it as bad as Steve Austin did when he was playing "The Ringmaster" and was nowhere near the top, but forced his way to be wrestling's #1 superstar?

Do you want it as bad as Triple H did when he was Hunter Hearst Helmsley, "The Greenwich Snob", wrestled in a pig pen and was squashed by The Ultimate Warrior?

Do you want it as bad as The Rock when he was "good guy" Rocky Maivia and was getting booed out of the building?

Curd
09-23-2012, 11:43 PM

Do you want it as bad as Steve Austin did when he was playing "The Ringmaster" and was nowhere near the top, but forced his way to be wrestling's #1 superstar?

Do you want it as bad as Triple H did when he was Hunter Hearst Helmsley, "The Greenwich Snob", wrestled in a pig pen and was squashed by The Ultimate Warrior?

Do you want it as bad as The Rock when he was "good guy" Rocky Maivia and was getting booed out of the building?

Just as in politics, sometimes it takes a "crisis situation" to gain the political traction to implement new policies. Let us remember that Vince McMahon has the final say creatively and often squashes writer suggestions, even breaking carefully laid continuity suggested by the writers in order to implement his vision for each character.

Only a crisis can convince Vinny Mac that his creative judgment is different than what is needed at the moment.

Keith
09-23-2012, 11:50 PM
But still, if you go out there and do the best you can, give 100%, eat the shit you're fed without complaining, maybe, just maybe, when that crisis situation arises, someone is going to think of you and say "This is our guy".

Fignuts
09-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Weren't as many writers telling the talent exactly what to say back in Austin and Rock's era though.

Having read a lot of comments by the two of them about the industry today, current talent doesn't have as much freedom to go out there and just talk, as they used to.

Mr. Nerfect
09-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Antonio Cesaro should either talk entirely in his native language to piss people off, or he should just never speak at all, because we are too disgusting to talk to -- and he's not here to talk. Either that or give him William Regal as a manager. Regal can talk, and they could do a "Very European" thing.

Keith
09-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Antonio Cesaro should hook-up with Wade Barrett to form a tag team called "The European Peons" and have William Regal manage them.

Future tag team champions right there, brah.

Mr. Nerfect
09-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm also wondering if Antonio Cesaro is going to be behind this "Encore" group that SmackDown is rumoured to be getting. They targeted Brodus Clay first. Now, that could just be because Slater has had problems with Clay, but it seemed like Clay had set his sights on Cesaro's US Title. I'd totally be for Cesaro having paid off Slater, Mahal & McIntyre to do his bidding.

Cesaro dumping Aksana would also drive her to the side of Clay, and she could replace Cameron as a Funkadactyl.

Swiss Ultimate
09-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I hope Antonio knows Japanese because I know where he's going.

Gertner
09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Weren't as many writers telling the talent exactly what to say back in Austin and Rock's era though.

Having read a lot of comments by the two of them about the industry today, current talent doesn't have as much freedom to go out there and just talk, as they used to.

This is what I find hilarious. People bitch about the writing, and universally bash Vince Russo who was a writer during the Attitude Era

Gertner
09-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Goldust got over with a gimmick that was considered terrible when it first started, but made it his own

It's not about the gimmicks or writing so much as the actual talent.

I'm not trolling here, but these beanpoles who they are bringing up from the indies who can really go in the ring, but have zero personality is what's wrong.

Look at Seth Rollins and Kassius Ohno. I'm sorry, but I can't really get into Ohno whose gimmick is ko'ing people who he has the body of a high school swimmer.

Schlomey
09-24-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't mind Cesaro in the ring or on the mic (have only heard him once or twice, though). Someone I KNOW I find worse is Heath Slater. I cannot stand his nasal twang.

Innovator
09-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Goldust got over with a gimmick that was considered terrible when it first started, but made it his own

I'm not trolling here, but these beanpoles who they are bringing up from the indies who can really go in the ring, but have zero personality is what's wrong.

Look at Seth Rollins and Kassius Ohno. I'm sorry, but I can't really get into Ohno whose gimmick is ko'ing people who he has the body of a high school swimmer.

Ohno's body is godlike compared to what it was a couple years ago.

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 03:09 PM

This is wrong. Writing is hugely important. Good writing can make an untalented guy huge and a hugely talented guy boring as fuck.

Gertner
09-24-2012, 05:48 PM
The writing isn't THAT bad. It's having 100 guys on the roster who are the exact same size and body type.

Ultra Mantis
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
The writing is bad in that they are writing out long bits of dialogue for guys who can't act and giving them six hours to get it word perfect. They've even had professional actors come in and massively fuck up live promos. If they spent less time writing "scenes" they would have more time to come up with things for guys to do rather than the whole "this our one angle right now, fuck everyone who's not involved" approach.

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 06:25 PM
The writing isn't THAT bad. It's having 100 guys on the roster who are the exact same size and body type.

None of that prevents them from being interesting. The current characters suck and no one is getting over because the writing is a clusterfuck and no one is involved in anything interesting for an extended period of time.

Damndirty
09-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Josh Matthews

Mr. Nerfect
09-28-2012, 11:18 PM

:lol:

I actually agree with you, but I think that Seth Rollins and Kassius Ohno both have personality. I didn't get into Rollins the first few times I saw him, but recently I've been enjoying the crap out of his matches and can see a Jeff Hardy-like quality to his personality. I was never a big Jeff Hardy fan, but I can see how Vince could make merchandise sales of Rollins and such.

As for Ohno -- the talent and personality are there -- but he doesn't look threatening in the ring, as you said. I kind of like that, because I don't like everyone to look the same, and I kind of like his "harmless but dangerous" appearance, but his shtick does kind of bore me. I think teaming up Ohno with Cesaro on the main roster would be a great way to ease both into developing rapports with the WWE audience.

Mr. Nerfect
09-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm imagining an Ohno/Cesaro vs. Kane/Bryan feud, with Ohno cutting promos about how Kane might be 7'0 tall, 323lbs; but monsters come in all shapes and sizes. Could be a really decent tag team feud.

Mr. Nerfect
09-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Kassius: OH!

Bryan: NO!

Paul Bearer: Ohhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!