PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you job your roster to Ryback

Rock Bottom
09-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Ok, how far do we go? And I don't mean with how many Ryback threads...

The heels are obvious. You'll probably give him Ziggler and Del Rio to get him into the main event, but after that? Do you give him CM Punk, Cena, Rock, Undertaker, any of the guys booked on top of the company? Or do you give him Sheamus, Kane, Daniel Bryan?

And when you beat him, how, who, why?

Lock Jaw
09-22-2012, 09:36 PM
And when you beat him, how, who, why?

Scott Hall With The Taser In The Conservatory

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 09:49 PM
It's not really as cut and dry as "Who do you feed him"

I think the proper way to book any wrestler is to always just have an idea of exactly how good he is at any given moment kayfabe-wise. Right now is all about having him destroy guys who have been booked as "not nearly as good as most of the roster" and through that plant the questions of "I wonder what would happen if he faced ____"

I'd say let him be in the main event scene and then play it how you feel at the time. Even if they face each other multiple times throughout their career though, I definitely wouldn't give a definitive answer to "Who's better: Cena or Ryback?" Let that question just linger.

XCaliber
09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd say Barry Stevens via a clean roll up. :shifty:

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 10:02 PM
As far as his first loss... I'm not sure. Probably to Cena though. Let him get the win back down the road though.

Lock Jaw
09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Come on. His first loss is going to come way sooner then a match with Cena.

I could see The Miz cheating out a victory.

Or Big Show flat out beating him clean.

Shisen Kopf
09-22-2012, 10:31 PM

Rudest people on earf!

Nicky Fives
09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
feed him the roster up until WWE/World Champion Wade Barrett.....Barrett gives him his first loss, then pins him again in a Tag Match, then loses the belt to him at the next PPV.....

Shisen Kopf
09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
He'll lose on a count out when he'll get screwed by a ref with a fast count or something like that. He won't lose clean until Brock Lesnar rassles him at WM

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Come on. His first loss is going to come way sooner then a match with Cena.

I could see The Miz cheating out a victory.

Or Big Show flat out beating him clean.

I didn't say it wouldn't. I said that's what I'd have his first loss be.

I can almost guarantee he won't lose clean to Big Show though.

I can see him losing a match by DQ or countout though if they don't wanna draw the Goldberg streak comparisons while still keeping him looking as strong as before.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 10:39 PM
feed him the roster up until WWE/World Champion Wade Barrett.....Barrett gives him his first loss, then pins him again in a Tag Match, then loses the belt to him at the next PPV.....

Jesus, Wade Barrett should not be holding the WWE/World title for a long, long time.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 10:41 PM
He'll lose on a count out when he'll get screwed by a ref with a fast count or something like that. He won't lose clean until Brock Lesnar rassles him at WM

I want a Ryback vs Lensar match at WrestleMania. If it did happen though, Ryback should win and be the one to finally out fight Lesnar.

#1-norm-fan
09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
They need to make any loss he take a huge deal. WWE has dulled down a shitload of characters (Nearly every character who's hit the main event) by having them lose constantly on TV and then trying to make it seem like them losing on PPV would be a huge deal. Justify his spot and keep it justified. Don't let him with the world title then have a weekly "HEEL FLAVOR OF THE MONTH JUST PINNED THE CHAMPION RYBACK! WHAT'S THIS MEAN FOR THE PPV!!!???" Seriously. It ruins characters more than any of the boring WWE booking cliches and they've got a chance to start from scratch and never make that mistake with Ryback.

Rock Bottom
09-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Guess we'll just have to see if the WWE wants him to be their top guy in the future. That's more or less why I asked "where it stops." Do we think this guy is worth the risk in going over some huge names?

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Right now he is. He's squashing who he should squash. I say the next move is to put him in a PPV match with Cody Rhodes or someone like that. A guy who's not really in the main event but isn't on the level of his normal jobbers. Let Cody look good by giving Ryback a run for his money but ultimately fall short. Maybe a rematch after that and another match against someone of that level and if you like what you see, either give him the IC title after a nice little "heel evades the match like a pussy" feud with Miz or have someone like the Big Show cost him the title match via DQ and feud with him.

The Whole F'n Show
09-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Have everyone job to him, win the whc belt, then at wrestlemania, have the rock whoop his monkey ass (yes I am still a rock mark, F U all lol)

Emperor Smeat
09-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Let him feed on the lower card and no-name jobbers while stopping the squashes once he reaches the actual mid-card tier wrestlers. Can't make him too dominate that it hurts him having any real feuds nor only make his losses appear to be just flukes.

Worst thing to do would be what WCW with Goldberg in that he basically squashed the entire roster to the point that Hogan might have been his first real opponent considering every match before then barely lasted 5 minutes. WCW also had no clue what to do with him after his first loss and even then it was more of a fluke loss than a real one.

Gertner
09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Have him squash Punk and Bryan in 10 seconds.

Tommy Gunn
09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Let him eat the lower card, the tag teams, then move on to the midcard guys, then take a break to go eat the guys over at NXT, and then come back and get school-boyed by Damian Sandow.

Also he can do promos about how he no-sold joining Nexus with a broken frickin leg.

Theo Dious
09-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Here's my idea: have a one-night tournament the night after a PPV to name a number one contender, and have the final be Ryback vs Sheamus (Sheamus no longer being WHC of course. Prior to his, establish the seeds of a feud between Ryback and said heel WHC (Ziggler would be good for this.) The match goes back and forth evenly until Ziggler distracts Ryback from the ramp; Sheamus hits a Brogue Kick and squeaks a victory (to protect Ryback have him kick out around 3 1/2 to emphasize that Sheamus BARELY won.) This way he doesn't job out like a pussy, his streak doesn't become a liability and he can have a good big fucking babyface vs talented but cowardly heel feud with Ziggles.

Swiss Ultimate
09-23-2012, 05:01 PM
I say leave him where he is for a year or two.

Keith
09-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I know Ryback is basically a face right now, but I think it'd really help him if he was paired up with Heyman and Punk.

They could have him be the "enforcer" of the trio, the guy who beats people up, the guy who interferes in matches and helps Punk get controversial wins.

But he wouldn't be a bodyguard, he'd also actually wrestle and win matches and the whole nine. He'd just be Punk and Heyman's enforcer.

The heat on him would be pretty good, and he'd probably get rid of the "Goldberg factor".

Majunior
09-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Considering I pretty much hate Ryback like I hated Goldberg, I really don't even want to see him go over too many midcarders. A loss to Swagger, Miz, Truth, whatever. Within the next few months.

I would love to see someone like Miz go over him a la Bret Hart. (Piece of steel in the tights to counteract the spear.) Outsmart the no-talent muscle-bound hack.

Swiss Ultimate
09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Never mind what I said before. End Taker's streak at Mania, then end Cena's career at the following PPV. Ryback is going to be the new HogBerg "The Rock" Austin

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
I know Ryback is basically a face right now...

What's this "basically"? lol

Keith
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
What's this "basically"? lol

Well he isn't a typical face. He plays up to the crowd and gets them to say "Feed me more!" and he gets cheered and all that, but he doesn't shake fans' hands or any of that.

Anyway, he's a face, that was my point.

Actually, no, that wasn't the point of my post, but since you point it out, well lol.

Swiss Ultimate
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
They usually say, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!"

Keith
09-23-2012, 08:47 PM
They go back and forth.

It's interesting how they go from cheering when he comes out to chanting Goldberg as he wrestles to chanting "Feed me more!" when the match is over.

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Well he isn't a typical face. He plays up to the crowd and gets them to say "Feed me more!" and he gets cheered and all that, but he doesn't shake fans' hands or any of that.

Anyway, he's a face, that was my point.

Actually, no, that wasn't the point of my post, but since you point it out, well lol.

I pointed it out because it strikes me as odd that there would be any smidgen of doubt. lol

How many faces don't shake fans' hands?

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2012, 09:56 PM
The chanting Goldberg thing is becoming another example of "It's just fun to chant this". Like "You suck" at Angle and to a lesser extent "Cena sucks".

KaosDarksol
09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Buy out tna and then feed ryback the whole tna roster in an invasion angle where ryback goes to the impact zone and destroys everyone including killing hulk hogan

Keith
09-23-2012, 11:21 PM
I pointed it out because it strikes me as odd that there would be any smidgen of doubt. lol

GET OFF MY BACK, #1-WWF-FAN!

You understood what I meant!

Curd
09-23-2012, 11:31 PM

To support Keith's position, I should note that Ryback's lack of at least smiling and nodding to fans makes him appear antisocial... just like Goldberg. Remember when Goldberg blew off "Mean" Gene Okerlund after beating Hugh Morrus and saying, "I ain't got nothin' to say!!!" before storming off and staring at the ramp without acknowledging the fans? At least Lex Luger bit his lip and slapped hands with the fans!

Keith
09-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Lex Luger slapped hands with the fans then went backstage and washed them, because he didn't like people.

Curd
09-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Buy out tna and then feed ryback the whole tna roster in an invasion angle where ryback goes to the impact zone and destroys everyone including killing hulk hogan

That would definitely be better than having the TNA roster invade RAW and having a drawn-out feud which includes jobbing a stalking Hernandez to Vickie Guerrero!

Curd
09-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Lex Luger slapped hands with the fans then went backstage and washed them, because he didn't like people.

Although Luger changed his attitude around 2007, back then his train of thought (for satirical purposes) was:
Wrestling Fans = Germ Incubators w/ Cameras and Annoying Autograph Requests

Keith
09-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I guess it's I don't consider just everyone who beats up heels a face.

But Ryback is definitely being pushed as basically (this is for you, #1-wwf-fan) a face, though I think of him more as a tweener, of sorts.

I don't even know what I'm saying. Whatever. Dude's a face but should be paired up with Heyman and Punk.

The end.

Lock Jaw
09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Remember when JBL would come out and shake hands with all the fans at ringside, smiling, and kissing babies...... then he would just immediately sanitize his hands with some hand sanitizer. GOLD.

Keith
09-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Remember when JBL would come out and shake hands with all the fans at ringside, smiling, and kissing babies...... then he would just immediately sanitize his hands with some hand sanitizer. GOLD.

Yeah, I mean, who did he think he was, George W. Bush while in Haiti?

Shisen Kopf
09-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Ryback can never lose unless it is to HBK bc he's like the greatest rassler of all time right?

Keith
09-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Not if Kevin Nash has a say in the matter.

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 12:17 AM
But Ryback is definitely being pushed as basically (this is for you, #1-wwf-fan) a face, though I think of him more as a tweener, of sorts.

I don't even know what I'm saying. Whatever. Dude's a face but should be paired up with Heyman and Punk.

Alright, now I have no idea what you're saying.

Keith
09-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Alright, now I have no idea what you're saying.

I said as much.

Not even I knew what I was saying anymore.

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Is he a face or is he a tweener???

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o637/RossEron/LexLuger-IDontKnow.jpg

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 12:20 AM
CAN YOU EVEN AFFORD TO PAY HIM, KEITH!?!?!?!

Keith
09-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Is he a face or is he a tweener???

CAN YOU EVEN AFFORD TO PAY HIM, KEITH!?!?!?!

Oh, he's a face.

"The Total Package" is a face.

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
To support Keith's position, I should note that Ryback's lack of at least smiling and nodding to fans makes him appear antisocial...

http://www.themiddlefinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/stone-cold-steve-austin-flipping-bird.jpg

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Was Austin a face or a tweener???

Keith
09-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Stone Cold Steve Austin's whole gimmick was about being antisocial.

Curd
09-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Stone Cold Steve Austin's whole gimmick was about being antisocial.

Maybe the antisocial wrestlers being the most over in the 1990s and early 2000s was a sign of the times: even the smiling, hand-slapping pre-Rock Dwayne Johnson had to begin spouting juvenile insults at opponents to get cheered. Perhaps the fans cheered those wrestlers so much because they saw such wrestlers as personal avatars due to identifying in their own lives as antiheroes who don't get along with everyone but are "cheered" by their own friends.

The longer I think about it, the more such cheering of antiheroes is an indictment of society (or at least of the majority of pro wrestling fans). But such a line of thought is what got Kurt Angle boo'ed during his "Three I's: Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence" gimmick. I'll stop now before I'm boo'ed out of the thread. ; )

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Angle being booed early on really came down to the fact that his gimmick was of him seeming clueless to how corny and ridiculous he was and the fact that most fans didn't really know him that well. He only tweaked the gimmick by showing awareness that the milk drinking babyface was corny and it became his charm and people got behind him. That irony made all the difference.

Plus people love when a guy can back their trash-talk up and with Angle it was just that much more awesome to watch him be such a badass and beat the fuck out of guys when he's so dorky. As opposed to a guy like The Rock who was the epitome of cool but seemed to lose big matches left and right. It made fans resent him really quickly and forced him to constantly get booed as a face. No one wants to see the hero talk loads of shit and then not be able to back it up so much. It's awful booking. It's something that's fucked up most main event faces ever since.

Curd
09-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Angle being booed early on really came down to the fact that his gimmick was of him seeming clueless to how corny and ridiculous he was and the fact that most fans didn't really know him that well. He only tweaked the gimmick by showing awareness that the milk drinking babyface was corny and it became his charm and people got behind him. That irony made all the difference.

Plus people love when a guy can back their trash-talk up and with Angle it was just that much more awesome to watch him be such a badass and beat the fuck out of guys when he's so dorky. As opposed to a guy like The Rock who was the epitome of cool but seemed to lose big matches left and right. It made fans resent him really quickly and forced him to constantly get booed as a face. No one wants to see the hero talk loads of shit and then not be able to back it up so much. It's awful booking. It's something that's fucked up most main event faces ever since.

Astute observations. I really cannot add anymore to what you said. :y:

Juan
09-24-2012, 01:56 AM

The Goon via count out

Graveler
09-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I say just send him to the buffet line known as NXT

Theo Dious
09-24-2012, 06:39 PM
The Berzerker via count out

Fixed.