PDA

View Full Version : 1998 - Hollywood Hogan vs. Goldberg

Zeeboe
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Any memories?

Mine are - I was a loyal WWF mark back then, but even I skipped the end of Raw just to watch that one match. The match itself was short as hell, and of course the wrestling wasn't the best, but the atmosphere in the crowd was amazing as was the build-up.

Goldberg had a lot of hype, and Hogan is Hogan, and I think WCW fans were tired of Hogan as champion, and he was doing a great job as a mega-heel, and the fans loved Goldberg - He was a fresh face, and had a great look, and besides Stone Cold - I think Goldberg was one of the best young faces at that time, so when J.J. Dillion announced Goldberg would face Hogan even I marked out.

In hindsight, a lot of people seem to think it would have been better business to let Hogan and Goldberg have a program together, build the feud up on TV, then have a match on PPV, but in defense of Bischoff - He was having a ratings war with Vince and even a hardcore and loyal WWF mark like me watched the Hogan/Goldberg match on Nitro so I think it was a good idea that sadly for WCW just backfired.

Perhaps it would have been better to have the match on PPV, but then have a rematch on Nitro to get ratings.

Jordan
11-05-2012, 12:38 PM
It could have been a pretty big PPV but I think WCW made the right call, they got their biggest attendance ever that night. Goldberg's argument that with just a little more hype time it could have been even bigger is true, but it is what it is. It wouldn't have been as powerful on PPV, the surprise of Goldberg beating Hogan on free TV on Nitro in the summer of 98 was awesome.

I was in Atlantis in the Bahama's, 10 years old, my mom and dad so pissed at me that I wanted to stay in the hotel and watch wrestling, but I didn't care.

I remember it was a great night of action from both shows, but ultimately I had to watch WCW's main event, it was pretty legend.

Razzamajazz
11-05-2012, 12:53 PM
it happened in the same place a recent wrestlemania was held with a much louder crowd reaction

Rollermacka
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Random thought, I thought that was the greatest thing I had ever seen when I first saw the match.

Emperor Smeat
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
The idea was good but WCW's never bothered to have the title rematch ever occur nor Goldberg vs Nash II for the title.

People wanted to see Hogan get beaten up again by Goldberg which never happened and Goldberg getting revenge against Nash for the screwy way his streak ended which also never happened.

Rammsteinmad
11-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Goldberg kinda got his revenge at Spring Stampede, where he beat Nash, who had assistance by Lex Luger I think. But it wasn't a title match, and I know what you mean in that they didn't have a world title rematch/program afterwards.

James Steele
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I remember when they announced it on Thunder 5 days before and went "HOLY SHIT!!!". It was a horrible "match" (I wouldn't even call it a match), but it was fucking awesome.

James Steele
11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
The 2 times I remember marking out the most was when Sting almost had Goldberg tapout to the Scorpion Deathlock to win the title until the nWo interfered and the DDP/Goldberg match they aired on Nitro because the show went too long. DDP and Sting were by far my favorite WCW wrestlers.

Supreme Olajuwon
11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm glad it wasn't on PPV. Made it way more exciting, especially because the crowd was losing their effing minds. If they would've done it on PPV they would've had to wrestle a PPV type match. And when Hogan had to wrestle big type PPV matches with Sting, Piper, and Warrior, they were all complete shit. I don't think Goldberg's match would've been any different.

It was perfect the way it was.

Nicky Fives
11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I clearly remember missing it because the power went off and my VCR stopped recording......

The Condor
11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
One the finest spectacles in the history of the Monday Night wars. A fine example of what a great crowd can add to a wrestling show.

Big Vic
11-06-2012, 02:00 PM
What was happening on the raw side of things that night?

The Jayman
11-06-2012, 02:13 PM
What was happening on the raw side of things that night?

The DX segment mocking the Nation. Undertaker dressed as Kane beating Mankind to be #1 contender for SCSA at Summerslam

Curd
11-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Ah, the good old days of debris-filled WCW rings! The air horns were blowing aplenty when Goldberg hit the Jackhammer on Hollywood. Granted, Goldberg and the World Title played second fiddle to Hogan and his celebrity scuffles, but hey, Hogan cleanly jobbed when he could have said, "Stick it, brother! I've got creative control!"

James Steele
11-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Ah, the good old days of debris-filled WCW rings! The air horns were blowing aplenty when Goldberg hit the Jackhammer on Hollywood. Granted, Goldberg and the World Title played second fiddle to Hogan and his celebrity scuffles, but hey, Hogan cleanly jobbed when he could have said, "Stick it, brother! I've got creative control!"

Well, Hogan knew that if the Jay Leno main event flopped he could blame it on Goldberg having the belt.

Curd
11-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Well, Hogan knew that if the Jay Leno main event flopped he could blame it on Goldberg having the belt.

It's true, damned true!