PDA

View Full Version : A random thought about the ECW Championship (yes, this is a thread from 2012)

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 02:21 AM
I was just thinking about the history of the ECW Championship (specifically its incarnation in the WWE), and about how the WWE seems to strike a divide between the reigns of Bobby Lashley and Johnny Nitro as the cut-off point for where it is considered a "World Championship." It's where the name of the titel changed, and also where there was a clear lack of already established talent on the brand -- Nitro being the most decorated member of the ECW roster post-Benoit incident.

After this point, you stopped hearing ECW Champions referred to as "World Champions" and a lot more talent were given "trial runs" with the title -- Chavo Guerrero, Mark Henry and Matt Hardy coming to mind -- many people considering them talent that would never win the big one on either RAW or SmackDown -- although Mark Henry obviously proved people wrong. Some veteran talent were handed ECW Title reigns as a "thank you" for years of reliable service (Kane, Tommy Dreamer and maybe even Chavo Guerrero and Matt Hardy at this point), and there was the occasional "rising star" given an ECW Title reign (CM Punk, Jack Swagger, Christian and Ezekiel Jackson).

But as I was thinking today about the legacy of the ECW Title, and it's arguably hit-or-miss list of former title holders in the WWE -- I realised something. Let's divide the WWECW Champions into two categories -- future or former WWE/World Heavyweight Champions and talent who never (to this point in time) won "the big one:"

Former or Future WWE/World Heavyweight Champions:
Rob Van Dam
Big Show
Vince McMahon
CM Punk
Kane
Mark Henry
Jack Swagger
Christian

As of Yet to Win a World Championship:
Bobby Lashley
Johnny Nitro
Chavo Guerrero
Matt Hardy
Tommy Dreamer
Ezekiel Jackson

What stands out to me about this list that every single member of the former or future World Champion list other than Rob Van Dam is still with the WWE, while almost every single wrestler who is yet to win a World Title is out of the company, besides Ezekiel Jackson.

Now, what I am about to discuss is the status of the ECW Title as an official "World Championship." While it seems that the WWE changed the status of the title with Johnny Nitro's victory, almost every wrestler you'd have to add to the list of "World Champions in the WWE" by including the entirety of the ECW Championship's existence would be Ezekiel Jackson. Now, I know a lot of people would absolutely loathe the idea of Big Zeke being officially considered a former World Champion; but would there be any positives to some of the current Superstars still under contract?

For example, Christian could call himself a former four-time World Champion, instead of being the cowardly World Heavyweight Champion that a lot of fans might currently remember him for. Christian's ECW Title reigns were valiant and heroically fought for. Jack Swagger could return and be labelled as a two-time World Champion, which might help remove some of the "fluke" stigma that might be attached to one Money in the Bank cash-in. And yes, when it comes time to the WWE to give Ezekiel Jackson another shot on the main roster, he could be labelled a "destructive former World Champion." And if they never bring him back, then he silently goes to the list of "never-were's" and doesn't affect those currently in the WWE that would benefit.

So ultimately my question is this: Should the WWE officially consider the ECW Championship a former World Title? And would guys like Kane, Christian and Jack Swagger get anything out of it -- even if it were mere bragging rights?

dronepool
11-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Sure, I wouldn't mind. The ECW title has a history long enough to deserve that perk.

whiteyford
11-10-2012, 06:03 AM
By the time Nitro got it they had devalued the belt to the point it was barely on par with the US/IC titles so I don't think so or you end up in TNA territory where they refer to every former title holder as a world champion ie. World tag team champion.

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 06:05 AM
It being involved in one of the biggest attractions at the most financially successful WrestleMania of all-time was being devalued?

whiteyford
11-10-2012, 06:10 AM
The Trump/Vince match?

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Yeah, that one.

whiteyford
11-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I might be wrong because it's a while since I saw it but I don't remember the title even being a talking point in the build up to the match, I can't even remember if he brought it to the ring. All I remember is the build up being all about Vince/Trump, so IMO the ECW champion being involved meant absolutely nothing to the match, I think by that point he'd stopped defending the belt anyway pretty much.

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 06:56 AM
He lost it to Vince McMahon a bit after and then won it back. You're right in that it wasn't the focal point of the match (and given that Lashley would have won the match anyway, it really could have been on the line), but the ECW Champion was certainly involved in major storylines.

GD
11-10-2012, 07:01 AM
I remember arguing about the "world title" status of the ECW Championship and being bashed to death by Xero, screech and the rest of the TPWW faithful.

whiteyford
11-10-2012, 07:04 AM
It was never mentioned though, thats really my only issue when people cite the Trump/Vince match as proof in this case, it could of been any title or no title at all and wouldn't have made the smallest difference.

In regards to your original post, rather than proclaiming them +1 world champion, wouldn't it be enough to say they were a former ECW Champion, they've done enough with the video library to give it enough credence again, put over that the promotion featured 'extreme' matches and tout the guys who were there that made it big again. I actually wish they'd play up that Big Show is the only guy to have held all three promotions titles.

whiteyford
11-10-2012, 07:06 AM
I remember arguing about the "world title" status of the ECW Championship and being bashed to death by Xero, screech and the rest of the TPWW faithful.

The original ECW title i'd say was definitely a legit world title, not so much after the buy out.

MoFo
11-10-2012, 07:08 AM
What 'bragging rights' would anyone get out of it anyway, the title had no illustrious history or prestige, it had a 3 year run and was scrapped after a bunch of jobbers held it.....the only guy who could be helped by being referred to as a "former world champ" is Zeke, because he's an enhancement talent now and needs all the help he can get.

GD
11-10-2012, 07:17 AM
The original ECW title i'd say was definitely a legit world title, not so much after the buy out.

It wasn't a "world title" worthy belt once it lost it's importance. I remember Undertaker considering it as an option for Wrestlemania 23 :p

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 07:21 AM

I remember those days as well.

It really wouldn't be a big thing, but the guys I mentioned (Christian and Jack Swagger, mainly) would seem more like real deals from a mere statistical point of view. Big Show and Kane get slight resume padding, as well. Just in terms of a quick rattle-off of accomplishments. Big Show being a seven-time World Champion sounds just that little more impressive than being a six-time World Champion.

And part of me just thought it would be interesting to discuss the polarity in success of former WWECW Champions.

GD
11-10-2012, 07:28 AM
They made a big deal when Big Show became the first person to win the WWE Championship, WCW Championship and ECW Championship.

There was also a match at Cyber Sunday for the World's Heavyweight Championship where all the "World Champions" from all the three brands faced off in a triple threat match. Vince made a big deal about it.

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I always thought that one of those years the ECW Champion should have won one of those Champion vs. Champion vs. Champion Matches.

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Edge and Big Show are also the only two guys to have held every single currently active WWE championship.

GD
11-10-2012, 07:33 AM
CM Punk, Kane and Big Show are the only three men to win the ECW Championship, World Heavyweight Championship and WWE Championship.

Mr. Nerfect
11-10-2012, 07:34 AM
I would love to see Kane beat Antonio Cesaro for the US Title, completing his modern Grand Slam, thus leading to an irate Cesaro bringing in Kassius Ohno to take the WWE Tag Team Titles from Kane & Bryan.

GD
11-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Bottom Line: The ECW Championship was never a big deal in the WWE. As far as the Donald Trump/McMahon match at WM 23 is concerned, it just happened that Bobby "bathturd" Lashley held the belt. Nobody cared that it was going to be a champion versus champion bout.