PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock

Asmo
11-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Just watched the first two seasons of this series. I fi had to sum it up in one word, i'd have to say, inspiring. The production is just so slick and impressive. All the little details - be it the way the graphics are integrated in to the show, to the camerawork and the transitions, were extremely refreshing to see.

Not to mention the dialogues, and the characters. Brilliant casting, brilliant direction. Can't wait longer for season 3.

Any fans of this series, or its American counterpart (to an extent), Elementary?

mitchables
11-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Love it. Haven't been able to bring myself to watch Elementary; is it any good?

And I'm pretty sure s3 has been postponed until 2014 :-\

sigh

XL
My girlfriend got me into Sherlock. Still need to watch the Season 2 finale but it is a great show.

Not seen Elementary.

XL
2014!? Jeez.

mitchables
Season 2 finale is easily the best episode of the series. Get on that shit now, XL. Takes it to a whole new level of brilliance.

mitchables
11-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Yeah the BBC has a great habit of really kicking its dedicated fandoms in the balls. Merlin's cancelled, Sherlock's postponed... quite fittingly, Doctor Who should be running for its life.

Asmo
11-28-2012, 05:55 AM
I think only Sherlock's filming has been postponed to March. Apparently, it's still scheduled for a late 2013 release. Or they may be fucking with us.

XL
11-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Is this because of The Hobbit?

The Destroyer
11-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Yeah the BBC has a great habit of really kicking its dedicated fandoms in the balls. Merlin's cancelled, Sherlock's postponed... quite fittingly, Doctor Who should be running for its life.
Merlin wasn't cancelled by the BBC from what I read, it was the creators who decided to end it. Sherlock's postponement could be anything really, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Stephen Moffat are all very, very busy.

Elementary is quite good actually. It's not a patch on Sherlock and it's a lot more US crime drama-ish as you might expect, but Jonny Lee Miller is great.

CSL
11-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Sherlock is outstanding. Elementary isn't terrible. Johnny Lee Miller is good, Lucy Liu is meh, too Americanized/blunt/case of the week/squeezed into a 42 minute CSI mold, doesn't take advantage of the setting etc. Needs fleshing out more, a reason to "care", it was like "5 minutes of backstory, dive straight into procedural, mention a little bit in ep 2 and nevermind, just settle for quirky guy that helps the police". Only seen up to episode 4 tho so who knows.

Tom Guycott
11-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I think only Sherlock's filming has been postponed to March. Apparently, it's still scheduled for a late 2013 release. Or they may be fucking with us.

Is this because of The Hobbit?

Could be a distinct possibility, since the to principal players are attached to what is easily going to be one of the highest grossing projects ever. As amazing as it is, I'd put off filming Sherlock too even if I were just some Orc to be killed off... let alone being Bilbo or Smaug!

With that said, I FUCKING LOVE SHERLOCK!!!

Saw it on accident about a year ago when I first moved back to Ohio. Didn't have any cable and was limited to what stations I could pick up, so randomly flipping by PBS I caught the first episode from pretty much the beginning. Best. Accident. Ever. Which is kind of funny in hindsight, because I almost did the same thing with Firefly. I happened to catch the first* episode of that as well while flipping channels. Only then, I didn't stop, because I wasn't in the mood to watch Starship Troopers (which is what I thought it was due to the Alliance uniforms, and I was kinda right.) Hindsight!!! I didn't get put on that train until a couple years later. Glad I didn't do the same with Sherlock.

And yes, "Staying Alive" ringtone had to happen. If there was a way I could get a certain specific text message alert, I'd do that too. ^_^

*Apparently, FOX, in their infinite wisdom, aired the original "pilot" episode last. The "what's in the box" surprise had already been ruined by every episode shown before it.

VSG
11-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Big fan of the series but I hate the ridiculous wait between seasons.

The Destroyer
11-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Learning patience is a good thing. Makes it all the more satisfying when a new series finally does appear.

mitchables
11-29-2012, 06:32 AM
The Sherlock fandom always complains about the wait between seasons

Try being a Venture Bros fan. I am more than prepared for anything other shows throw at me.

Though I was super happy with the Halloween special.

Tom Guycott
11-30-2012, 09:53 PM
I, too, like Venture Bros. That's an ALMOST fair compairson, until you notice that there are only 3 eps a season for Sherlock. Doesn't matter that they're longer.

Besides, I'm a fan of the Boondocks. Even dodgier in terms of even CONFIRMING another season, let alone actually waiting for it.

And I'm still waiting for Korgoth...

Nowhere Man
12-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Sherlock is fucking brilliant.

Elementary is okay, but feels too much like your standard network "magic detective" show for me to really get into it.

Skippord
12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
was thinking about watching this or Luther

which is better? and when I say better I mean has more Idris Elba

The Destroyer
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Well Sherlock has zero Idris Elba, so it's not really much of a contest.

Skippord
12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
are there any other large black guys?

PapaGeorgio
12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I prefer Sherlock. I preferred the pace of Sherlock more. Luther moved a little slower but was still very good, but didn't have shit on Sherlock for me.

Furious Beardsley
12-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Fantastic show. I had heard about it, and had to check it out. I also read that they are still hoping for a late 2013 release. Might as well be 2014 though. I blew through Doctor Who, just need to catch the first half of the 7th season, and then the upcoming Christmas special to be fully caught up.

I've heard nothing special about Elementary though, just another typical show, nothing special.

It's crazy with how busy Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and everyone involved in Sherlock is right now. Cumberbatch has Star Trek going right, Freeman has The Hobbit obviously, Moffat is busy with Doctor Who. I'll gladly wait for a new season of Sherlock. Hopefully before 2014 though.

Of course we are all dying on the 21st anyway, so we will never see resolution from the 2nd season finale :'(

Asmo
01-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Well then, who's seen the two new episodes so far? Thoughts?

Yes, it's entertaining. But there seems to be no depth to the new season so far, at least in the mystery department. Both the episodes were largely about character development, and while the production values have only improved, i found myself wondering where the drama's gone.

But, boy do the writers know how to pander to the fans. Several excellent comic moments.

Tom Guycott
01-09-2014, 03:46 AM
I haven't watched the second yet... as in, I'm waiting til I get off work to enjoy that later. The first one seemed like a "love letter" to the fans, especially jabs at slashy fanfics and increased character interaction between the Holmes boys.

Also, because Sherlock, I will repost something I posted in the 100,000 wrestling thread:

So thanks to the magic of the internet, I got to see Sherlock before the Stateside airing. In the teaser AND the actual show, Anderson is now channeling his inner Daniel Bryan.

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/sherlock3.jpghttp://www.ringsidenews.com/file/pic/article/2013/06/11d3d3b87202c16957e754219d131910_400.jpg

XL
01-09-2014, 05:44 AM
There was a hint towards somebody in the shadows pulling the strings at the end of the New Years Day episode, wasn't there? But, yeah, does feel a little different this time around. Only one episode left, right?

ClockShot
01-09-2014, 07:17 AM
I think the new season is coming stateside in another week or two.

Tom Guycott
01-10-2014, 01:10 AM
Yes, it is. But that's too long a wait for something that exists in the wild now. Also, they've made small cuts to scenes when airing in the U.S. before, I have a feeling they'll trim bits like the "Ff..." "Cough." jump cut.

But I will watch it again when it's "new" on PBS in spite of already being in the position of having seen all three by then. I can't not watch it when it's on. Its infinitly watchable. Like Firefly.

VSG
01-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Bloody insane finale, that. I am not sure I liked that teaser ending though!

ClockShot
01-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

XL
01-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Made an incredibly bold prediction after about 40 mins:

Janine will be revealed as Jim Moriarty, who, having faked his own death, spent the following 2 years having gender reassignment surgery in order to fuck with Sherlock. Literally, I guess.

Or she'll be related to him somehow. They have very similar accents.

VSG
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I will hate you forever if that ends up being true, although it may be another 2 years before series 4 so I may also have forgotten your prediction by then.

I would really like for him to be alive but I think someone else was the real Moriarty all along.

Asmo
01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
VSG said it best. Bloody insane finale. I'll add intense to that as well.

ClockShot
01-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Ugh. Starts tonight here in the states at 10 eastern. Who's genius idea at PBS was it to schedule it that late?

Probably just On Demand it after work tomorrow.

McLegend
02-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I can't wait till 2016.

McLegend
02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
I love Sherlock.

This season wasn't as good as the 1st two seasons, but it's still great. I think the long hiatus helps this show, and more shows should probably do this.

What's everyone favorite episode?

Mine is Scandal in Belgravia. I don't even consider it episode, because it was pretty much a movie.

CSL
02-04-2014, 12:13 AM
probably The Blind Banker or The Reichenbach Fall

Tom Guycott
02-07-2014, 01:03 AM
I too like Scandal the best. It does the most with the groundwork laid by series 1, expands on everyone's relationship with one another, and still pulls off an awesome contained case.

As for this season: it is worth taking the time to watch as a whole. The pacing was more like one big episode in 3 parts instead of three distinct stories. As such, my only complaint was not properly introducing the "big bad" until the beginning of the third episode aside from the sort-of reveal at the end of the first. He's behind the attempt at John's life, but then is just non-existant in episode 2?

And oddly, I totally see the kid at the wedding becoming a half-pint clone.