PDA

View Full Version : Name some songs that mean something else, but have a much different meaning to you

RP
12-21-2012, 09:57 AM
For instance, I touched on this in another thread. I love Frank Ocean's Bad Religion. I know now that he's talking about being in love with another man. I'm not gay, but I can relate to the song as far as woman are concerned and I love it. I take it as more of a song about being in love with someone you shouldnt let yourself fall in love with for whatever circumstances. Like being in love with someone who's married or just plain being in love with someone you know you cant have. Or being in love with someone that you know you would eventually hurt, so you dont even express that love.

I just enjoy this song so much. One of the best songs i've heard in a few years. Here's a live performance of it with the Roots as the band. Its his first appearance and it's absolutely amazing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sDSPybTFYHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Incredible emotion into this song. Just a wonderful performance. Every time i tell someone how much i love this song, it's always like " You know he's singing about fucking a dude " and i cant stand that shit. I hate when songs get pigeon hold into one interpretation.

The Condor
12-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I always thought that "I'm Turning Japanese" was just a pre-politically correct fun single. Later on I heard from a bunch of people that the song was actually an ode to masterbation, due to the face one makes while in the act. I don't know if the band has validated that theory but if its true I missed the mark on that one.

RP
12-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I gotta download that.

RP
12-21-2012, 03:01 PM
And you know what? If he sang that song with the intent of coming out to people and being himself than HOLY shit what balls he had for this performance. Just incredible.