PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Dropped From 2020 Olympic Games

Cool King
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
If anyone cares....

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65841000/jpg/_65841575_wrestling2_getty.jpg

Wrestling has been dropped from the 2020 Games to make way for a new sport.

The International Olympic Committee's executive board made its decision after assessing the performance of all 26 sports at the London Games.

"The news from the IOC is extremely disappointing," said British Wrestling chief executive Colin Nicholson.

There is a slim chance wrestling may win a reprieve when the IOC meets in Buenos Aires in September to ratify its choice.

But it will be vying with seven other sports, among them squash, roller sports and sport climbing, that are hoping for inclusion in the Olympic programme.

Modern pentathlon and taekwondo were thought to be the sports most at risk when the IOC committee met in Lausanne, Switzerland on Tuesday, but wrestling was the surprise choice for the axe.

It will now compete with baseball/softball, squash, karate, sport climbing, wakeboarding, wushu and roller sports for a place in the 2020 Games.

"This is not the end of the process, this is purely a recommendation," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams. "This is not about what's wrong with wrestling but what is good for the Games."

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling will be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board, but Adams stressed: "Today's decision is not final."

Amateur wrestling's world governing body, the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), said it was "greatly astonished" by the decision.

In a statement on their website FILA said: "FILA will take all necessary steps to convince the executive committee and members of the IOC of this aberration of a decision against one of the founding sports of the ancient and modern Olympic Games.

"FILA has always complied with IOC rules, is present in 180 countries where wrestling is a national sport for many, offering athletes their only chance of competing at the Olympics and contributing to the Games' universality."

Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, was included in the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

It has been in every Games since then, apart from Paris in 1900. At last year's Olympics, it featured 344 athletes competing in 11 medal events.

British wrestler Non Evans told 5 live: "I didn't see it coming. I'm very shocked, surprised and disappointed. Wrestling is one of the most ancient sports, but I think the world has changed."

Despite Tuesday's news, Nicholson said Great Britain would not lose focus in the next Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"We will be looking to deliver success in 2016," he said. "We have two athletes who we believe are genuine medal contenders."

Nicholson also pointed out that wrestling remains part of the Commonwealth Games.

"We are fortunate that we are a Commonwealth sport so our athletes will continue aspiring towards 2014 and 2018," he said.

"In the meantime, we will remain hopeful that the IOC may give wrestling another chance to remain part of the Games."

Before making its decision, the IOC's programme commission assessed each sport by looking at such factors as TV ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping and global popularity.

Klaus Schormann, president of modern pentathlon's governing body, said he had lobbied hard to protect his sport's Olympic status.

"We have promised things and we have delivered," he said. "That gives me a great feeling. It also gives me new energy to develop our sport further and never give up."

GB Modern Pentathlon chief executive, Jon Archer, expressed relief at the news that his sport had been spared.

"Olympic inclusion is absolutely essential to our sport," he said. "It is at the centre of everything we do. We can relax now and work to continually modernise the sport and raise awareness."

Samatha Murray, who won silver for GB in the Modern Pentathlon at London 2012, said on Twitter: "This is a very sad day for wrestling. However I want to thank the IOC's decision to keep #ModPen in the OG for 2020. I'm elated. Thank you."

Golf and rugby sevens will be part of the programme for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro after winning inclusion in 2010.

The IOC will also decide in September whether Istanbul, Madrid or Tokyo will host the 2020 Games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

Cool King
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Hopefully it can win a reprieve.

The wrestling at the Olympics is always great to watch and removing it but keeping stuff like dancing horses (AKA "Dressage") is just stupid.

Fignuts
02-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Fucking retarded.

Blitz
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
This is idiotic, but damned if I don't want to see a wushu competition at the Olympics.

Keith
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
It's stupid.

Maybe it's a swerve and they're just gonna start calling it "entertainment".

Kris P Lettus
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
bullshit

DaveBrawl
02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
This was one of the few events at the Olympics I looked forward too.

Droford
02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
MMA will be added in 2024 and you know it

CSL
02-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't really care and it watching it is shit but it seems like a really strange decision. When I think Olympics, it's pretty much track and field first then probably wrestling in terms of what I'd class as "proper Olympic sports"

Emperor Smeat
02-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Weird decision considering the strong history wrestling has with the Olympics.

MoFo
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Should just drop all the taekwondo, judo and shit and have MMA.

Ruien
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Poor Kurt Angle.

Bad News Gertner
02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
No more rasslin? How will we know which country produces the best workrate?

screech
02-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Not a fan of this. Always enjoy watching wrestling in the Olympics.

screech
02-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Also if sport climbing is included and does not feature the Aggro Crag I will be severely disappointed.

Cool King
02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I was watching the news today and some darts player is saying that darts should replace Wrestling in 2020.

How I laughed.

screech
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
LOL

Cool King
02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
‘It’s like kicking track and field out of the Olympics’

Kurt Angle shaking with rage over wrestling's KO

Kurt Angle says his beloved wrestling has been KO’d by a disgraceful decision from the International Olympic Committee.

The US star, a gold medal-winner in Atlanta 1996, was shaking with rage that grappling had been cut from the roster of 25 "core" sports after Rio in 2016. Now aged 44 but still competing with TNA Wrestling, he told SunSport: “It’s the world’s oldest sport and has too much tradition. It’s like dropping track and field.

“When I woke up this morning I knew there was going to be a sport dropped. I didn’t consider it would be wrestling. Because of the Olympics and MMA, wrestling is at its highest peak since 1980. It’s just off the charts. It’s a serious programme we have in the US, through junior high school, college, then the Olympics."

“We’re a world power and have made ourselves that way. And other countries are just as good. Iran, Bulgaria, Turkey, Cuba, Germany ... so many great countries and the talent is evenly dispersed. Russia has five million wrestlers. That’s more athletes than the USA sports combined. All they do is wrestle. How upset are they right now?"

Angle, who after leaving Olympic wrestling became a WWE star, mixing it with the likes of Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H, is adamant he will fight for the ruling body to reverse its decision.

He added: “I know if wrestling is dropped its entire history is in jeopardy. Even I’m in jeopardy of not being remembered. I pledged my heart and soul to the sport. I won a gold medal when I had everything stacked against me, including my neck being broken."

“Winning the world title in 1995 was harder than the Olympics but the truth is people measure you by the Olympics. I’m so angry I’ve been shaking all day. I can’t believe what they are thinking. If they are looking at revenue, then wrestling makes a heck of a lot more than judo or taekwondo or trampolining — that’s a sport for failed gymnasts. And badminton? It’s a recreational sport, how can that supercede wrestling?"

“I believe this has something to do with female viewers. If females don’t want to watch and don’t understand I don’t blame. But wrestling has women competing now and that’s how we want to promote it."

Angle has just returned to the States after a recent UK tour.

And he said: “I’ll fight for it. They can’t just keep adding new sports and taking away the old ones. I’ll continue to wrestle for the TNA. The plan is on wrestling three more years then coach amateur wrestlers and fight my butt of to get wrestling back in the Olympics.”

dronepool
02-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Even I think it's a stupid decision when the olympics have no real significance to me. It should remain a part of it.

Kris P Lettus
02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/02/13/russia-coach-blames-demise-of-olympic-wrestling-on-gay-conspiracy/

YOUR Hero
02-17-2013, 12:23 PM
well that's a joke.

I find it difficult to believe that wrestling has poor ratings for the Olympics

DaveBrawl
02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't have the actual numbers, but they were probably awful last time. It didn't seem like they were on unless it was middle of the day or very early morning when most people seemed to be working or sleeping.

Cool King
02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Well I watched all the wrestling matches at the Olympics last year and the arena was always full and the crowd sounded really into each match. Especially the 3rd Place matches and the Finals. A few of them had the crowd screaming and shouting at times.

So I don't think popularity or anything like that has to do with the decision. A part of me thinks it's just the IOC's way of trying to make the Olympics "cool" to today's kids and dropping Wrestling in favour of "cool sports" and ones that kids can have easy access too, like Rollerblading, is the IOC's way of going about it.

Cool King
02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
If they want to get rid of "unpopular sports", then they should be checking out the Weightlifting.

I watched the majority of those events last year and the arena was pretty dead all the time. Hardly anyone went to watch and I felt a bit bad for the competitors. Just walking out to an empty arena at the Olympics of all places.

I wouldn't like to lose Weightlighting though as I enjoy watching that too, but if "popularity" is what the IOC is about these days, then Weightlifting should be what they're looking at.