PDA

View Full Version : Indie wrestling camera work.

Madness42
02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I started marketing my camera work to indie wrestling promoters and I booked a few jobs. I have been watching since I was five, but this is my first time getting to film it. I'm trying to provide affordable coverage to promoters down here in Alabama. This is the main event of the show, any comments or critiques would be very helpful for my next wrestling shoot.

Again, I need your opinions based on the coverage, not the actual wrestling. Although, this was one of the better matches of the night. Sorry I can't seem to get it to embed. Thanks guys.

https://vimeo.com/60144038

MoFo
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Give it 10 mins before ur rep turns red.

Madness42
02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Ouch, that harsh a crowd huh?

Razzamajazz
02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
needs more instant replays

Madness42
02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
It's not that big a deal, I just wanted to get opinions from a wrestling source other than Facebook, i'll take it down if it's going to offend someone that bad. lol. I mostly come here just to read anyways.

Madness42
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
He wanted IR, but didn't wanna pay for it unfortunately.

mike adamle
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Unfortunatley I hate southern hicks so I can't watch this crap!!!

Rammsteinmad
Good job man. :y:

I'm no expect when it comes to camera work, so I can't really say if you meet the demands of promoters etc, but you seemed to do a good job.

If you're looking for a steady income from something like this, you should look up Ocoee Championship Wrestling. I think they're after some crew members, and for an Indy fed, they pay pretty well.

Razzamajazz
nah it's ok. i assume it was you editing the 2 shots and/or using the handheld camera? it kind of reminds me of that ecw fan cam thing they had during house shows

Madness42
02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Rammsteinmad, OCW only uses the finest equipment wal mart can provide, I could never dream to hit that level. But, it's surely a long term goal.

Razzmajazz, yeah pretty much. He also didn't wanna pay for a third cam, as much as I suggested it to him. A lot of these guys don't think in the long term as far as business, and it's extremely hard making them look good most times. It's leading into some cool stuff though, I may get to shoot the Steiners in April.

CSL
02-21-2013, 05:27 PM
flicked through/didn't watch much because those guys were the absolute drizzling shits but it's decent footage. I'm not sure why a fed would pay for it, quite a few places do the "1 static/covering cam, 1 roving cam held by a trainee/somebody involved with the promotion" schtick but fair play if you're getting paid for it, that's "the name of the game"

Lock Jaw
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Too much headroom on the wideshot.

Lock Jaw
02-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I did some editing for a local promotion once and their footage was absolutely terrible. They had no wide safety shot, and their camera guys were trying to do the WWE "snap zoom on impact" thing, except for the fact that they would ONLY zoom in, and at like every single punch. Dudes would be trading punches and the cameraman would rapidly zoom in closer with every punch.

Had to edit around a lot of garbage. I think it somehow became "ok" looking with great effort.

Also, I think one of the cameras wasn't white balanced the same as the other, so that was a pain as well.

Bad News Gertner
02-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Ugh, too much vanilla. You and those wrasslers should go back to your Taco Bell jobs.

CSL
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM
calling "the wrestlers" involved in that vanilla is an insult to a perfectly acceptable milkshake flavour. Those guys are straight up completely fucking shit.

Fox
02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Looks pretty DSLR. What are you shooting with, 7D's?

I think it looks good for what you're working with. Your handheld guy at ringside could use some practice steadying his shots and staying in focus.

Also, your wide shot facing the corner of the ring (a diagonal ring shot) is off-putting. WWE has imbedded into the wrestling fan's mind that the wide shot will be head-on with the ring, so when anyone who's ever watching wrestling sees your footage, they will immediately think "AMATEUR." If possible, I'd suggest setting up your wide shot at the same angle as the WWE has theirs.

Good on you for making this happen though. I've got a friend who works the FCW/NXT tapings at Full Sail University. I'm a video production major myself and I've always wanted to work a wrestling event.

Xero
02-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I skipped around a bit like everyone else. Felt like you/they (no clue if you edited) relied on the wide shot way too much. But then again, this is a two camera shoot, so I guess that's expected. Didn't like the angled wide shot, felt like it was too far away from the ring and the angle felt weird.

One thing I noticed is that you are WAY too visible and obvious at times (I'm assuming you're shooting at ringside). Don't walk casually around the ring like that. It literally looked like you were looking for a good shot, so you stop and shoot it. At times you were just standing there. Try to hide yourself and stay low. If you need to, pop up when you have the shot, but then go right back low when you're done. Also, wearing bright orange didn't help anything.

Madness42
02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Fox and Xero, wrote down everything you guys said and will be using your tips in the future. This is exacly what I needed to hear, thank you. Next month i'm shooting Chikara Grand Champion Eddie Kingston and five dollar wrestling Freight train, and im just brushing up a bit.

Lockjaw, I agree, but both were set to the same white balance, im not sure what was going on there. For films and what not I always custom WB, but since this was "wrasslin" I didn't take it that seriously, lol, so I tossed it on auto.

CSL, you're damn skippy, but he didn't want to pay for a third.

All in all, this is still more fun than shooting weddings for a living. I got out making 25 an hour for the job too, so im not complaining.

Madness42
02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
btw Fox, you nailed it exactly, a 7D and a 5D Mark II

Madness42
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Thank you guys again for taking the time to look, great tips for my next one.

Fox
02-22-2013, 06:09 AM
btw Fox, you nailed it exactly, a 7D and a 5D Mark II

Right. I shoot on the 60D, so I recognized it pretty quickly. $25.00/hr isn't bad, but how long are you actually working?

Shisen Kopf
02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I thought the rasslin was ok at best. They needed an ERAG match. The camera work was ok but I think my iPhone would have better to tape on b/c iPhones rule! RIP Steve Jobber

Madness42
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
The event was 3 hours, about 3 hours in post, then an hours drive.

Blitz
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh my god this match

Blitz
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ES08f4h.jpg

Blitz
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I just watched all 36 goddamned minutes of that thing and I am personally offended by every aspect of it.

CSL
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
you are a brave brave man. I could feel the anger bunnies rising after about 12 seconds

Blitz
02-22-2013, 02:32 PM
One thing I noticed is that you are WAY too visible and obvious at times (I'm assuming you're shooting at ringside). Don't walk casually around the ring like that. It literally looked like you were looking for a good shot, so you stop and shoot it. At times you were just standing there. Try to hide yourself and stay low. If you need to, pop up when you have the shot, but then go right back low when you're done. Also, wearing bright orange didn't help anything.

His job is to move around and get the shots. This is absurd advice.

My best advice is to take your name off this thing and pretend it never happened.

Blitz
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
you are a brave brave man. I could feel the anger bunnies rising after about 12 seconds
I was literally gasping at how bad it was.

Madness42
02-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of room for improvement, lol. Shooting stuff like this on those types of cameras is challenging, not really the best set up for sports of any kind. I know this is a VERY rough,trashy start, but its a foot in the door and a learning experience i'm glad I took.

mike adamle
02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Close the thread.