PDA

View Full Version : Can There Ever Be Another Undertaker?

Schlomey
03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
We are all now comfortable with the fact that The Undertaker is not going to be an active WWE Superstar. Life has and will go on.

My question is: After Taker hangs up his boots (either this year or next) for the very last time, can the WWE produce another Undertaker type figure and it work? Do the WWE writers have it in them to not create just another cheap ripoff? Can WWE even come close to creating another "phenom" for the next generation?

Shisen Kopf
03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes. They can say the undertaker had a kid and the Son-dertaker will be Phenom Jr.

Keith
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
No.

voncouch
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NAnpvysqFdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Arrogance
03-01-2013, 12:48 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7jhdw1Obx1r487rx.gif

Ruien
03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
No. His streak was kind of done by luck/accident. He has a mystery around him that lasted forever. There will probably never be a angle as hot as Austin/Vince that played so well for the the Undertaker.

Plus, it will feel forced with the Internet being there to go through the new guy with a toothpick.

Jordan
03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
No WWE cannot come up with a gimmick that works that well for over 20 years

Fignuts
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Not a chance.

Tommy Gunn
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xqP7QKyoHoQ/UG3D2_DqynI/AAAAAAAALQc/-CXHAAU8lGU/s640/10-4-2012+1-13-43+PM.jpg

Emperor Smeat
03-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes but more likely it would feel as just a rip-off or wouldn't feel the same even if the next "Undertaker" was a great in-ring or story telling wrestler.

Biggest problem would be the WWE being fully aware which would make his streak more artificial than the Undertaker who had his happen by accident and didn't get notice until it was in double digits.

Heisenberg
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xqP7QKyoHoQ/UG3D2_DqynI/AAAAAAAALQc/-CXHAAU8lGU/s640/10-4-2012+1-13-43+PM.jpg

That whole gimmick seems to be taking a lot of detours en route to the main roster.

Nicky Fives
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
in theory, they could capture lightning int he bottle again.... but I definitely would not put any money on it.....

Wishbone
03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
I think the real question is, should there be another Taker? I don't think WWE would have any problem creating another Taker-like character, but I'm not sure it's really needed. I mean I would love to see another darker character in WWE, but in this era it would be more comedy fodder then anything (see Kane). The only reason Taker didn't share that fate is because he was already established as one of the top players in the business by the time the family friendly stuff started.

As for the streak, well I don't really think it's ever going to be replicated, nor should it be.

Curd
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Although others mentioned the uniqueness of the Wrestlemania Streak, an homage could be a Summerslam streak lasting ten years but not longer, certainly not twenty. FMW had the Crypt Keeper, which reminds me WWE could have a generic knockoff with a few touches from the Addams Family. One of the Divas could debut or turn goth and be this new character's valet.

itsmeJD
03-02-2013, 12:57 AM
There use to be one, but the original got rid of him at Summerslam 1994

Tom Guycott
03-02-2013, 11:48 PM
The real question is this: what do you mean by the question?

Do you mean will somebody duplicate/beat the streak? Not likely.

Are you asking if somebody take a really shitty gimmick and make it and himself into something magical for over two decades? It's possible, but it would take a special performer to pull it off. And much like the streak, it will likely be a happy accident.

Do you mean specifically scary music and lighting effects for shock and awe? Yeah, Ascention was doing that... basically a stable of Undertaker that dwindled down to a tag team Undertaker that one guy ended up screwing up a guaranteed push big time and left the survivor high and dry. As a team, it was *just* different enough. As a solo act, it looks like a poor ripoff. Yes, I didn't bother linking to Tommy Gunn's pic, but acknoledge it was already mentioned.

OR, are you inquiring if will there be another guy who assumes the role of the "concience of the WWE"... someone who basically is the measuring stick to see if someone is going to "make it"? If you got the seal of approval from 'Taker, that pretty much guaran-damn-teed your career was going places (unless you were Kronic, but one shit tag team out of counless made men hardly tarnishes the track record).

Tazz Dan
03-03-2013, 01:17 AM
There will be, and his name is Fandango

Volare
03-03-2013, 07:09 AM
There will be, and his name is Fandango

THE FACE OF GREATNESS

http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/ep_trending/public/video/thumb/2013/02/sg-aw1028_fandango_020413.jpg

whiteyford
03-03-2013, 07:45 AM
The only way I could see it happening is like Goldberg, just something that develops organically and is then pushed right, anything obviously prefabricated is going to come off as a cheap knockoff regardless of how good it may be.

Kane Knight
03-03-2013, 11:02 AM
No. His streak was kind of done by luck/accident.

And now that it's happened, they can't even have someone go two years at Wrestlemania without calling it a "streak."

Stickman
03-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Mordecai