PDA

View Full Version : When and why did the NWA die?

MoFo
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I know it still exists in the form of shitty little indy feds, but it used to be huge, and Ric Flair used to call their belt "the real world title"

Was it due to cross-promotion with WCW and TNA hurting them or what? It had a lot of name value so don't know why it suddenly evapourated..

Rhaps
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
They didn't "cross-promote" with either WCW or TNA, both organisations evolved from and out of the NWA. Then Big Vince came along and killed everything and the NWA was never the same again.

Bad News Gertner
03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Territories ended.

Shisen Kopf
03-12-2013, 07:54 PM
For me, NWA died when Eazy-E died of the aids.

Bad News Gertner
03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Beth probably gave it to him

Rollermacka
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I know it still exists in the form of shitty little indy feds, but it used to be huge, and Ric Flair used to call their belt "the real world title"

I wouldn't call them all "shitty little indy feds" and I'm not just saying his because I work for some NWA promotions. There are some quality athletes who still wrestle and do show with more than 5 matches in a 3 hour show. Bruce Tharpe and his partners are attempting to rebuild the company into a national promotion after years of neglect from the previous owners. Now that I'm done with that.... Yea, I'd say when the WWE and WCW began to do weekly national television shows and fans could enjoy pro wrestling from the comfort of their own homes.

CSL
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
in the grand scale of things, they're all shitty little indy feds. And I highly doubt they're the first people to claim to want to "build it back into a national promotion", that probably comes from every person that uses the NWA name.

As for the initial question, NWA was never a standalone territory/fed in the sense that "NWA is running this town tonight, NWA is running that town tomorrow" etc, think of it as being like the FA and the different territories (Georgia, World Class, Florida, Crockett etc) being the leagues and whoever was NWA champion would spend various times in the different leagues against their top guys. So yeah, as Gertner said, basically when Vince went nationwide/taking the best talent and the territories started dying/promoters started trying to compete with him with no real foundation to do so, so did any real value the NWA name had. By the time Turner/WCW pulled out in the early 90's, it was dead. Everything else since except maybe the TNA part of history has been a zombie version stumbling around.

Curd
03-13-2013, 11:58 PM
...And NWA will never revive so long as it keeps booking fossils like The Original Shiek to go over up-and-coming talent for the NWA Heavyweight Title, or even for regional titles on that matter! Flippy McFlip should go over Stabby McStab once in a while!!!

...Like it's SO HARD to knock that piece of wood out of Shiek's hand. :roll: Farhat must dip his sharps in mildly paralytic poison to immobilize those he stabs to just keep on standing there like pin cushions waiting patiently for their next puncture.

Curd
03-14-2013, 01:11 AM
IMHO, the main crap factor of the indies is the inconsistent booking. JAPW did really well on this in 2001 and 2002, though, to compensate for the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission prohibiting the CZW-style matches it had been running since 1997. The NWA feds need to reimburse wrestler travel expenses so that the top wrestlers in one NWA affiliate can perform in more distant NWA affiliates like in the old days. Bring back the "King of Philadelphia" matches, too!

The Ripper
03-16-2013, 12:28 AM
The NWA is still alive but it's on life support now. The NWA was formed to basically keep the Territories in line and they wouldn’t go to “War” with each other. The Territories had to stick to their own turf and share talent. The Territories had their own belts but the NWA belts where the biggest belts in the USA and it made it really special when the NWA World, North American, TV, Tag Team, or women’s champion came into ICW or WCCW or RFWFWFWF or whatever. And it worked…for awhile. The people running the NWA where pretty dicky at times and always had their favorites. Which made AWA and Capitol Wrestling Corporation (WWE) break off and soon WCCW and Jim Crockett Promotions (WCW) followed. And Once Vince jr. Pretty much killed off the territories there was no need for NWA.

Seth82
03-19-2013, 02:33 AM
The NWA is still alive but it's on life support now. The NWA was formed to basically keep the Territories in line and they wouldn’t go to “War” with each other. The Territories had to stick to their own turf and share talent. The Territories had their own belts but the NWA belts where the biggest belts in the USA and it made it really special when the NWA World, North American, TV, Tag Team, or women’s champion came into ICW or WCCW or RFWFWFWF or whatever. And it worked…for awhile. The people running the NWA where pretty dicky at times and always had their favorites. Which made AWA and Capitol Wrestling Corporation (WWE) break off and soon WCCW and Jim Crockett Promotions (WCW) followed. And Once Vince jr. Pretty much killed off the territories there was no need for NWA.

actually WWE was a member of the NWA up until Vince Jr went national in '84.

WWE just didn't make it widely known to their audience. Vince Sr even voted for Flair to be NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Curd
03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
actually WWE was a member of the NWA up until Vince Jr went national in '84.

WWE just didn't make it widely known to their audience. Vince Sr even voted for Flair to be NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Very good point. Vinny Mac should never be allowed to be on the Board of Directors of any non-WWE company because he'll consume it like a cancer!

Kris P Lettus
03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
http://www.rapdict.org/images/f/fa/Eazy-E_R.I.P..jpg

when: 3.25.95

why: AIDs

Shisen Kopf
03-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I'll see you at the crossroads Eazy

Bad News Gertner
03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
AIDS eh? Hmmmm, where was Beth82 at the time of this?

Shisen Kopf
03-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Easy E musta been a gay b/c only the gays get the aids.