PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't they do Stone Cold vs. Goldberg?

The Naitch
03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Although they are friend, did their egos get in the way? One of them would've had to do THE JOB, and I don't think both parties would ever lie down for eachother.

I think Austin knew deep down that he started to lose relevance around the time Goldberg came in, and for him to lose to Goldberg would've been a bad business decision for his stock.

Goldberg just came in it would've made more sense to have Goldberg win. I could feel (and I'm just making a dumb assumption) that Austin felt that Goldberg was some sort of threat, (there's only room for one bald head with goatee in the WWE) and to me it felt that Austin was giving off the "if you can't beat him, join him" vibe (judging by the beer bashes they would have together.

But yeah, Austin wasn't in shape I'm guessing, so all we got was the Sheriff role from him alongside the active Goldberg (World Heavyweight Champion)

PrettyCool
03-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Ylu could say the WWE were very Jewish about this!

Supreme Olajuwon
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
You could say the WWE were very Jewish about this!

Supreme Olajuwon
03-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Dammit, PrettyCool stole my joke!

Steveviscious89
03-29-2013, 09:48 AM
I think Goldberg actually wanted a match, even before being in WWE. Bret Hart alluded to him putting up money to make the match happen in a promo on Nitro once.

Honestly, even though they looked the same, they were not even remotely the same wrestler. Austin's gimmick was to be a brawler with high durability. Goldberg was just made to be indestructible in the ring....he didn't even have great mic skills, so they left it up to the matches to tell most of his story(what a novel idea). The match probably would have been awkward and I'm not sure how you would book Austin to go over because Goldberg could have just run right through him and reinjured his neck/back.

The match they did have..Goldberg vs Lesnar.....watching that I wasn't even sure if they were serious about what they were suppose to do in the match. It was almost as if they intentionally made it boring and nearly unwatchable. So I'm not saying that match was any better than what Austin/Goldberg would have been, but I'm not sure it would have been any better.

Savio
03-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Austins last match was WM19, Goldberg debuted in WWE the night after WM19.

Rammsteinmad
03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Probably because by the time Goldberg came to WWE, it wasn't 1999 anymore.

Rammsteinmad
03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Plus, Goldberg was busy enough losing fights to Chris Jericho. :cool:

Jordan
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
That match would have worked during the InVasion, if WWE could have stolen Goldberg... after Austin turned heel somehow it could have worked great.

Keith
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
'Cause Goldberg's a bitch.

Shisen Kopf
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Jewish like prettycool an the other guy said.

XCaliber
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
It's very likely seeing that he refused to job to Scott Hall the year before and did not want to put over Brock Lesnar so that role ended up being given to Rock and Hogan and it didn't end up hurting either of their carreers.

Curd
03-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a hard time seeing how someone with a Stone Cold or Goldberg mentality could break into the biz today. They'd probably quit a promotion after being told by the booker they'll have to put over the WSU Women's Champion or otherwise have to cooperate when a woman wrestler wants to suplex them.

I'm surprised WWE hasn't jobbed Gillberg to Kaitlyn. Maybe Duane is too busy playing softball with Sid. :)

James Steele
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I imagine Stone Cold didn't start refusing jobs until he was an established star.

Curd
03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I imagine Stone Cold didn't start refusing jobs until he was an established star.

I agree that he was a decent team player when he put over Mikey Whipwreck in between WCW and WWE, but ever since winning KOTR '96 and having that 3-year hot streak, Austin refused to make rising stars like Booker T and Rob Van Dam look good.

So did HHH, but at least Hunter didn't promote himself to win 3 Royal Rumbles like Austin did. Kane would have benefited from winning the 2001 Rumble instead of having Austin win yet again. Heck, Austin even refused to put over Hogan!

Fox
03-29-2013, 04:34 PM
The timing was never right. Goldberg was sitting out the rest of his contract with AOL-Time Warner and Vince wasn't about to buy out one of the most expensive contracts on WCW's payroll (although he could have arguably made it back ten-fold from Goldberg VS Austin).

By the time things were "right" for Goldberg to come in, Austin's neck was beyond repair and his career was over. He wrestled Rock in extreme pain at WrestleMania XIX, and that was the end for him.

It's the ultimate dream match. And it'll stay that way.

whiteyford
03-30-2013, 07:32 AM
It's very likely seeing that he refused to job to Scott Hall the year before and did not want to put over Brock Lesnar so that role ended up being given to Rock and Hogan and it didn't end up hurting either of their carreers.

The version Austin tells is that he didn't want to put Brock over on free TV when their 1st match could draw big on PPV which makes sense.

Sixx
03-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Did anyone still really care about Goldberg when he came to WWE?

Theo Dious
03-30-2013, 09:26 AM
The version Austin tells is that he didn't want to put Brock over on free TV when their 1st match could draw big on PPV which makes sense.

Going deeper into it though, Austin was really burnt out and in a very bad place mentally when they asked him to do the biggest jackass thing imaginable booking-wise.

Theo Dious
03-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Can we go for THE established star please? When you almost single-handedly revitalize an entire company on the verge of being put out of business I think you have the capital to veto some shitty ideas.

Theo Dious
03-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Did anyone still really care about Goldberg when he came to WWE?

For about five minutes, sure.

Theo Dious
03-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Austins last match was WM19, Goldberg debuted in WWE the night after WM19.

Probably because by the time Goldberg came to WWE, it wasn't 1999 anymore.

And this is the answer to the initial question.

Mr. Nerfect
04-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Goldberg's WWE run made me quite sad.

Savio
04-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Ehh it was decent enough, he got his 2nd WHC run out of it.

Mongo Lloyd
04-02-2013, 12:46 PM
because greenberg sucks camel ass