PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers who you were surprised didnt become main event guys

Bad News Gertner
04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Here's the biggest miscalculation I've made. Posted it before. Percy Watson. Had him pegged to be the number 2 face behind Cena. Boy was I ever wrong. He's entertaining as all hell but the company toned down his character and yeah

Really thought Simon Diamond would do more. He was so fucking obnoxious on the mic. Great in the ring and his character was gold.

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-22-2013, 01:56 AM
Mr. Kennedy. I know he won the Florida Heavyweight Title, but still. TNA is gay.

Kennedy.

Cool King
04-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Muhammad Hassan.

Though it was pretty obvious he was on his way to becoming a main event guy. I just feel that UPN is to blame for pretty much everything. UPN and also the people who thought "masked men helping an Arab MUST mean they're terrorists!", despite not actually being told who or what the men were.

And I guess to a lesser extent, the people who continued watching that episode of SmackDown despite being warned several times about what was going to happen, then seeing the "event" happen and then complained about it.

Bad News Gertner
04-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Fuck I loved Hassan

Mr. Nerfect
04-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Hassan was fantastic. It actually seemed like he was en route to becoming World Heavyweight Champion for a moment there.

Gertner, have you completely ruled out Percy Watson? Also, I'm surprised Alex Riley has fallen as far as he has. Despite what #1-wwf-fan thinks, I'm actually not on the guy's dick. He's only ever been solid in the ring at best. But things seemed to really click as far as his presentation went. That was almost two years ago that he burst off from The Miz, and he hasn't really had another lick.

I'm surprised that John Morrison fizzled. The dude was stealing the show at like every PPV. Backstage stuff got in the way of that, I guess, and he did choose to leave the company before they had pulled him from TV or anything like that -- oh, and he really sucked at cutting face promos. Really thought he would get more time to work with R-Truth in Truth's epic heel run.

Never really thought he would be a main eventer so much as I thought he had the potential to be far more than he currently is, but I always expected a little more from JTG. He can talk, he's not the worst wrestler that would have ever been given a shot, and he's got the potential to be crazy over as either a face or a heel. I saw big potential in both members of Cryme Tyme, actually. More separately than together.

Skippord
04-22-2013, 05:32 AM
lol seriously how did you think Percy Watson would accomplish anything?

whiteyford
04-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Thought Sabu was gonna get a huge push before the drugs bust in wwecw. Mike Awesome in WCW, just come the fuck on with that 70s guy/fat chick thriller gimmicks :(

#1-norm-fan
04-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Also, I'm surprised Alex Riley has fallen as far as he has. Despite what #1-wwf-fan thinks, I'm actually not on the guy's dick. He's only ever been solid in the ring at best. But things seemed to really click as far as his presentation went. That was almost two years ago that he burst off from The Miz, and he hasn't really had another lick.

Well I'm glad you're not on his dick now. He really is absolutely abysmal. I said it when he got his initial chance he was a failure waiting to happen and he's right where he should be now. He was lucky to get paired with The Miz on NXT and it lead to a storyline where he got put in a great position. He makes retarded mistakes and is awkward as fuck to listen to. Even when he did make his random appearance on Raw to get punched by Big Show a few months ago he was so bad it was hilarious.

"WHAT'S WRONG!?" :lol:

Rammsteinmad
04-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Mr. Kennedy, MVP, Shelton Benjamin, gonna go ahead and say Matt Hardy as well.

And of course, nobody fills the "wrestlers who you were surprised didn't become main event guys" slot better than:

http://i52.tinypic.com/b8agbk.jpg

#1-norm-fan
04-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Percy Watson is fun enough to where I could see him being a good, steady midcard babyface. Couldn't really imagine him as a major star though. lol

I don't know if I THOUGHT he'd be a main eventer but I remember thinking MVP should have been one. The guy was money. Tons of charisma and a great character.

#1-norm-fan
04-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Sean O'Haire with that preacher gimmick he had was a main eventer waiting to happen.

Corporate CockSnogger
04-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Genuinely thought Billy Gunn would push on from the Outlaws and get a world title run :(

Bad News Gertner
04-22-2013, 07:07 AM
lol seriously how did you think Percy Watson would accomplish anything?

He's athletic, solid on the mic, entertaining and he's black. Company hasn't had a main eventer colored wrestler since Booker T.

Shisen Kopf
04-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Mason Ryan. Thought for sure he'd be a main eventer but his in ring skills are not excellent.

Scottness89
04-22-2013, 07:37 AM
MVP
Ted DiBiase Jr.
Drew McIntyre
Buff Bagwell
Chris Harris
Test
Alex Shelley
Mr. Kennedy
Chris Masters
Billy Kidman
Johnny Jeter
.......................just to name a few

Nicky Fives
04-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Drew McIntyre for me

Savio
04-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Yeah Hassan was screwed. Wish they made that post match segment air only on WWE.com

DaveBrawl
04-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Kanyon, always loved him.

Arrogance
04-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Morrison.

The Condor
04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Al Snow

MoFo
04-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Ken Shamrock

The Condor
04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Ken Shamrock

Very good, I really dug badass Shamrock in '98-early '99. I wish he got the push.

The Condor
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
I'd also like to add one of my favorites to this discussion, Goldust.

Cuse8
04-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Dibiase Jr is my #1. When he first debuted I expected him to become another Orton basically. But that faded more and more.

Rollermacka
04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Mason Ryan. Thought for sure he'd be a main eventer but his in ring skills are not excellent.

Well, Mason Ryan still has the potential to become a main eventer again. Yes, he's in the same "position" as Percy right now, but the difference is that Mason is 300 lbs of pure muscle. I'd say Paul Burchill is someone who surprised me. Well built guy, solid in ring worker, and I liked that he was a "rugged" Englishman as opposed to the sophisticated style like Regal.

Emperor Smeat
04-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Wade Barrett
Cody Rhodes

For Barrett, it really looked like he was on his way towards the main event until Big Show injured him. Hasn't been able to be anywhere as close in momentum since then.

For Cody, looked like he was in good position to move on to the next level with how well he was being pushed and booked during the long reign as IC champ. He's had a few main event type matches but no main event feuds yet.

Theo Dious
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Honestly, Glacier. Not because I saw greatness in him or anything, but the did so much to hype and build him that it seemed impossible that he wouldn't become a top guy in short order. Of course this was before we knew how stupid the people running WCW were.

Volare
04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
McIntyre is the first thing that popped in my head. I was a mark for him the first week I saw him on TV and everything about his "Chosen One" persona worked, capped off by Mr. McMahon himself "choosing" him. Yeah he's kinda rebound with 3MB but....what could've been.

Ted DiBiase Jr. is #2, Great introduction from his father to Tag Team gold with Cody Rhodes to Legacy to being paired with Maryse to...fac....e.....GONE. (but not officially)

Mr. Nerfect
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Well I'm glad you're not on his dick now. He really is absolutely abysmal. I said it when he got his initial chance he was a failure waiting to happen and he's right where he should be now. He was lucky to get paired with The Miz on NXT and it lead to a storyline where he got put in a great position. He makes retarded mistakes and is awkward as fuck to listen to. Even when he did make his random appearance on Raw to get punched by Big Show a few months ago he was so bad it was hilarious.

"WHAT'S WRONG!?" :lol:

I wasn't ever on his dick. I could just see that the guy had amazing potential. His connection with the crowd is amazing. Anyway, I'm not getting into this again. Don't confuse my lack of hate for the guy as undying love is all I'm saying.

Bad News Gertner
04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Alex Riley's matches are very awkward.

Skippord
04-22-2013, 06:05 PM
He's athletic, solid on the mic, entertaining and he's black. Company hasn't had a main eventer colored wrestler since Booker T.
I agree on one of those things, most entertaining part about him was(is?) the glasses.

It is weird how much better Titus O'Neil got after NXT, feel like he could be big if he wasn't old.

JKWJRMON
04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Mr Perfect!

#1-norm-fan
04-22-2013, 10:47 PM
His connection with the crowd is amazing.

Are you sure you don't have Alex Riley confused with Randy Orton or something?