PDA

View Full Version : Moments that meant nothing

Joesgonnakillyou
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM
to anyone but you.

Any obscure moments that meant a shitload to you at the time but ultimately weren't that much of big deal in the big picture?

I thought of Summerslam 2004 the other day, specifically how the main event of Randy Orton vs Chris Benoit ended. After losing the world title Benoit came back in the ring, offered his hand whilst shouting "be a man" to Orton. At the time, being a huge Benoit mark it seemed such a great way to end his title reign, I'd always been a big mark for handshakes, I should have been a bigger ROH fan really. To me, it seemed like a momentous passing of the torch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PdDin5LmLac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

but really, it wasn't a big deal. Benoit's title reign has been perceived as a bit of failed experiment. Orton's first face run was abandoned swiftly (describing it as a footnote seems generous).

and all this before Benoit made national headlines.

So, has anyone had a similar experience? Something that felt like a big deal at the time but ultimately failed or became irrelevant? Or is this the best example of WWE not only dropping the ball, but losing it under the fridge?

The Condor
05-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Mick Foley getting the Hardcore title fits it for me. Him having it and defending it as a real title gave it credibility, as did the Al Snow/Holly feud. Somewhere it got turned into a joke belt and became a punch line, though an entertaining one. I think the division could have been something better but the moment of Foley carrying around the belt has become simply the genesis of a joke.

Wishbone
05-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Not sure if it counts since it was technically a big moment, but other people don't seem to look back on it with the same feelings I do. Anyway, Rey winning the WHC at WM for the first time has always been one of my favorite moments in wrestling history. I remember watching it and actually getting misty eyed.

Heisenberg
05-10-2013, 08:48 PM
When Tatanka turned heel attacking Luger and joining the Million Dollar Corporation. I was a kid back then and it would be the equivalent of Cena turning his back on his fans and stuff like that.

Emperor Smeat
05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Nexus attacking the Undertaker at Bragging Rights 2010 (I think) and the talks of their being a "higher power" approving of their attacks.

At the time, it appeared Kane might have been that person but the WWE abruptly dropped that in favor of Cena just destroying the group instead. The attack was never explained nor the higher power ever being revealed.

loopydate
05-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I really thought I was witnessing the start of a star-making moment when Cody beat Rey at Mania. Cody had that crowd in the palm of his hand, and they(/we) popped huge when he won. And then... nothing.

scatterbrain28
05-10-2013, 10:26 PM
When HHH married a passed out Stephanie at a drive thru in Las Vegas while Stephanie was supposed to marry Test. I now it was a stupid marriage storyline but I found Stephanie kinda cute and got emotionally invested in it, even ten years later when I You Tubed the Armageddon match with HHH and a pissed off Vince faced off, no holds barred. Even after that long time, I was shouting at the computer VINCE, KICK HIS ASS!!!

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Disco Inferno winning the TV title against Alex Wright and then against Saturn.

Tazz Dan
05-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Benoit and Orton were the first two entrants in the Royal Rumble that year, Orton was the IC champion at the time.

Tazz Dan
05-11-2013, 03:30 AM
It also had A-Train in it, as well as Brodus Clay's music. Weird seeing all these guys who aren't around wrestling in WWE anymore though.

Tazz Dan
05-11-2013, 03:30 AM
I'm just taking over this thread btw.

Tazz Dan
05-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Chris Benoit
Spike Dudley
Rene Dupré
Ernest Miller
Matt Hardy
Matt Morgan
The Hurricane
Rikishi
Shelton Benjamin
Kurt Angle
JBL
Booker T
Rico
<s>Test</s> Mick Foley
Scott Steiner
Nunzio
Charlie Haas
Billy Gunn
RVD
Goldberg
Rhyno
Tajiri

Only the following still active:
Mark Henry
Randy Orton
Christian
Albert
Kane
Y2J
John Cena
Big Show
And a cameo from Brock Lesnar

Shisen Kopf
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Bushwhackers and tatanka

Next Big Thing
05-11-2013, 10:17 AM
TNA going to Monday nights.

Rammsteinmad
05-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I marked out like crazy when The Demon debuted in WCW. Was a 12-year-old mark who thought wrestling was real, and liked Kiss. A Kiss wrestler was the greatest thing ever! :o

BizarroKing
05-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Nexus attacking the Undertaker at Bragging Rights 2010 (I think) and the talks of their being a "higher power" approving of their attacks.

At the time, it appeared Kane might have been that person but the WWE abruptly dropped that in favor of Cena just destroying the group instead. The attack was never explained nor the higher power ever being revealed.

http://taimapedia.org/images/thumb/7/77/It_was_me_austin.jpg/300px-It_was_me_austin.jpg

Bad News Gertner
05-11-2013, 02:17 PM
ROH folds

Shisen Kopf
05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Whenever someone posts links to OCW, Parsons or ERAG matches here.

Frank Drebin
05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Big Bossman beating the Mountie in a Loser Goes to Jail match at Summerslam 91. First PPV I ever watched live, I was a Bossman mark and was thrilled when this feud culminated with a win for the Bossman after all the hell the Mountie put him through! USA! USA!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x384evG7CbI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heisenberg
05-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Always feels good to hear Gorilla on commentary. He probably pulled a lot of trim with his voice alone.

Frank Drebin
05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
http://barbershopwindow.com/IMAGES/MONSOON%20WILL%20YOU%20STOP%20SHIRTS%20WE%20SOLD.jpg

scatterbrain28
05-11-2013, 07:57 PM
The Un-Americans (Test, Lance Storm, Christian, William Regal) had a ton of potential and got a good amount of attention hanging down an upside down American flag and spitting out Michael Moore talking points. They were one of the few things keeping WWE interesting, especially in Sept. 2002 on RAW when there were no other storylines going on. But instead of giving these guys a cool storyline when it was needed, Vince had the genius idea of disbanding them when there was nothing else going on.

Tom Guycott
05-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Mick Foley getting the Hardcore title fits it for me. Him having it and defending it as a real title gave it credibility, as did the Al Snow/Holly feud. Somewhere it got turned into a joke belt and became a punch line, though an entertaining one. I think the division could have been something better but the moment of Foley carrying around the belt has become simply the genesis of a joke.

I didn't see it as anything but a joke/prop until Road Dogg won it, and then continued to defend it on a regular basis. All it took was him making it look legit to become legit.

You mean "bigger picture". They also "knew" who the Anonymous GM was long before that angle was Hornswoggle'd.

As for the question (and this is admittedly something REALLY stupid) was Stevie Ray on WCW commentary. He singlehandedly added "SUCKAS GOTS TA KNOW!" to my lexicon.

GD
05-13-2013, 03:07 AM
When John Cena and Randy Orton locked eyes in a Royal Rumble match a couple of years ago and the crowd was dead silent.

Tommy Gunn
05-13-2013, 05:53 AM
When Mr Kennedy beat Shawn Michaels clean on Raw, felt like they were really going somewhere with him.

Asmo
05-13-2013, 06:12 AM
When Miz and AJ Lee had that 'look' interchange just a week before AJ's 'marriage' to Daniel Bryan.

Tazz Dan
05-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Owen, did those posts really need to be deleted?

owenbrown
05-13-2013, 06:40 AM
yes they had nothing to do with the topic

Shisen Kopf
05-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Lol

owenbrown
05-13-2013, 07:28 AM
I think Team Gorm needs a timeout

Bad News Gertner
05-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Rasslin Fan banned! His brother Mike Adamle will not be pleased.

James Steele
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
In all honesty, the first main event Cena/Orton feud. It ended up being horrible and not well received. Very sad considering that some felt it could have been the Rock/Austin of that period.

James Steele
05-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Mick Foley's retirement after losing at No Way Out 2000.

WrestleMania 2000 ended up being completely pointless. The only lasting memory/event from that WrestleMania was the 3-way tag team ladder match.

WrestleMania XXVII seemed like a big Mania, had huge hype, had great matches -- but it all ended up not meaning anything other than Rock/Cena which ended up not meaning anything other than a Rock beating Cena (which didn't change anything), a 3 month reign, and a predictable main event this year.

William Regal's King of the Ring win. (I really wish Regal hadn't fucked up. It seemed like that'd been a huge deal going forward.)

James Steele
05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Triple H's first WWF Championship reign.

James Steele
05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Austin turning on WWF and joining The Alliance. The night after Survivor Series, Austin was a babyface, Vince/Angle were heels, and Flair was a wrestling god.

James Steele
05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Triple H beating Jericho to become Undisputed Champion at WrestleMania X8. He dropped the belt to Hulk Hogan at Backlash and didn't really do anything until he turned heel. The Jericho/HHH HIAC match is forgettable and he jobbed to The Undertaker at KOTR.

I love the HHH/HBK feud. I believe it is truly the greatest feud both in storyline content, match quality, and long-term booking that the WWE has had. It really annoyed me when they reformed DX in 06, but it worked and made a shitload of cash.

James Steele
05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
The Flair/HHH feud from 05 was brilliant too, but it didn't mean anything other than an easy way to turn HHH heel upon his return at WWE Homecoming.

Next Big Thing
05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
That series of matches Shelton Benjamin had with HHH. I thought a major star was being created and perhaps if Shelton had been better on the mic, one would have been.

scatterbrain28
05-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I just have this strange theory that if a storyline can't be remembered 5 years after or even 10 years after it occurred, than it wasn't a great storyline.

Tazz Dan
05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
yes they had nothing to do with the topic

Neither did my posts.

Fignuts
05-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Probably Goldust returning for the first time. Was a huge goldust mark when I was younger. Mainly cause I loved his entrance theme. That's how I judged people back then. Didn't matter how shitty a guy was, if his theme was awesome, I was a mark.

Anyway, Goldust had burned his costume, and then spent the better part of a year as Dustin Runnels playing some religious zealot. He got into a feud with Val Venis which ended up bring in Marlena(my favorite diva at that point) in as Val's lover. And then Runnels lost at the PPV to Venis, just pouring more salt on the wound. All while this took place, Runnels Periodically was seen in the audience holding signs that said "He's Coming".

Then this happened (sorry didn't see an embed button)

http://www.wwe.com/videos/goldust-is-returning-raw-september-28-1998-26024284

Marked out like fucking crazy. No one else seemed to care.

Skippord
05-25-2013, 04:32 AM
Probably Goldust returning for the first time. Was a huge goldust mark when I was younger. Mainly cause I loved his entrance theme. That's how I judged people back then. Didn't matter how shitty a guy was, if his theme was awesome, I was a mark.

the Gangrel effect

Nowhere Man
05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
That one time Lita and Trish Stratus were the main event of Raw. At the time, seeing a Divas match headline a show was something completely different, and made it feel like every part of the show was potentially worthy of being at the top of the card. More than any big surprise reveal or upset win, the fact that they took a risk by giving the ladies the marquee match instead of the WHC or WWE Title crowd actually gave the impression that anything can happen in WWE.

And then of course nothing came of it. Trish and Lita both went their separate ways, and WWE cranked out a long line of disposable Divas with almost no personality (except for maybe AJ), and ensured that the women's matches would always and forever be nothing more than the piss-break match.

The Condor
05-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Anyway, Goldust had burned his costume, and then spent the better part of a year as Dustin Runnels playing some religious zealot. He got into a feud with Val Venis which ended up bring in Marlena(my favorite diva at that point) in as Val's lover. And then Runnels lost at the PPV to Venis, just pouring more salt on the wound. All while this took place, Runnels Periodically was seen in the audience holding signs that said "He's Coming".

Then this happened (sorry didn't see an embed button)

http://www.wwe.com/videos/goldust-is-returning-raw-september-28-1998-26024284

Marked out like fucking crazy. No one else seemed to care.

Same here man, loved that storyline

mike adamle
05-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Undertaker and all that green shit coming out of the casket at Royal Rumble 1994 was huge for me. I thought something epic was happening when his face showed up on the tron while still in the casket. Nothing really awesome happened though and it's a moment that is long forgotten.

MoFo
05-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Crash Holly winning the LHW Title on Heat!

I didn't have cable back then and Heat was the only show on free TV so title matches, let alone changes, were a rarity..

lol Dean Malenko with his James Bond gimmick.

Stickman
05-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Bubba Ray cut a promo on HHH on Raw that I thought would turn into a big thing

The Condor
05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Bubba Ray cut a promo on HHH on Raw that I thought would turn into a big thing

Allegedly there was something to that, but in an interview BubBuh said he botched a power bomb on HHH in a match and after that it was scrapped. Apparently they couldn't trust him or something so the push was killed.

mike adamle
05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Lol. "You're not safe enough to work with our main eventers, but we'll keep you on payroll so you can work with the others."

The Condor
05-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Triple H is the golden boy, gets what he wants

The CHT
05-25-2013, 02:10 PM
The debuts of Husky Harris and Michael McGuillicutty.

Fox
05-27-2013, 12:15 AM
The debut of DDP. I wasn't keen on the idea of him coming into the WWE as a heel when he was such a natural babyface, but the fact that he was coming in to work a program with the Undertaker had me excited. We all know how that ended up.

Also the debuts of Tazz and Raven, respectively. Tazz came in and beat Kurt Angle, ending his undefeated streak, and was being promoted as a bad ass. A couple months later he's jobbing at WrestleMania. Raven's arrival was exciting because he was such a natural character and there was so much potential in creating a Raven's Flock in the WWE. Instead he pretty much did nothing except toil away in the abused Hardcore division.

Nowhere Man
05-27-2013, 01:08 AM
I remember for, like, half a second they were teasing at making Raven kind of a mouthpiece for the Undertaker, while 'Taker was feuding with Jeff and Raven with Matt. That would have been fucking awesome.

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Thought of a couple more.

First was right after McMahon revealed himself as "The Higher Power". Everyone from the Corporation and Ministry were in the ring celebrating how clever they were. Everyone except Bossman. He had been beat up really bad by the Ministry, or something like that.

So they're all laughing and shit, when suddenly Bossmans' old Hard Times theme hit, and the place went nuts, and I was all "Holy Shit Bossman is gonna kick some ass, and he's a face now, and YOU BETTER READ THE SIGNS, RESPECT LAW AND ORDER, YOU'LL SERVE HARD TIME!!!!!"

And then he hugged Mcmahon like a gaylord and went back to doing what he had been doing the last two years. Gay.

The other one is when Eugene was in that program with Triple H. HHH finally showed his true colors and beat the holy hell out of Eugene. Then Regal comes out and cuts probably one of the greatest promos I've ever heard. He referenced their time together in WCW, and it just slowly built. Getting more intense. More emotional. Regal finally admits he cares for Eugene, and then screaming, challenges Triple H to a fight, and yells some incredible line like "AND I WILL FIGHT YOU WITH EVERY OUNCE OF VENOM IN MY BODY!"

Reason I can't remember it is because that great promo led to a 2 minute squash match, and now no one remebers anything about it. I've seriously been searching years for that promo, and I've never found it. That's the moment that sold me on Regal being more than a midcarder.

Nowhere Man
05-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Here it is. Regal is, was, and always will be, fucking brilliant.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lcb8RoxQPD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Incredible.

Also, I love you for finding that Nowhere Man.

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 02:52 AM
After FINALLY seeing that again after so many years, I have to say, it's not the best promo I've ever seen, it's my absolute favorite.

Alot of people might say the pipe bomb promo was better, or Heyman's ecw invasion shoot on vince was better, but I disagree. Simply because those were real. They were based on real issues, and the promo's came straight from the heart. Regal's wasn't. Regal's was a complete act, based on a fictional retarded guy, and yet he sold it so believably and with such passion, that one might actually think that Eugene was Regal's actual son. That is an incredible feat.

Bad News Gertner
05-27-2013, 03:10 AM
I'll never forget this. The Acolytes were my favourite tag team of all time and they fought The Hradyz and Michael Hayes in a handicap match for the tag team titles. The Hardyz set up to do Poetry in Motion and Bradshaw caught Jeff Hardy mid-air with a brutal Clothesline From Hell and I fucking went nuts. It was incredible.

KIRA
05-27-2013, 03:26 AM
William Regal's King of the Ring win. (I really wish Regal hadn't fucked up. It seemed like that'd been a huge deal going forward.)

The joy I had watching Regal sit on his throne sour-faced and deriding the crowd,then he pissed it down his leg. :nono:

but I have a few moments:

UT and his bat-wings.

Kofi beating the living hell out of Orton.

Raven was working a seven deadly sins angle on Heat if I recall and I was psyched but nothing came of it.

Nexus riot (in fact Nexus period)

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 03:26 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a bad or "weak" Clothesline From Hell. Miss JBL.

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 03:29 AM
The joy I had watching Regal sit on his throne sour-faced and deriding the crowd,then he pissed it down his leg. :nono:

Post 12 of the Regal thread, please.

KIRA
05-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Post 12 of the Regal thread, please.

Agreed and I shouldve worded it better because its not really Regal that makes me upset it is more his under utilization and the fact that he is still a damn goldmine and he is just wasted its sad.

Bad News Gertner
05-27-2013, 05:15 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a bad or "weak" Clothesline From Hell. Miss JBL.

12:25 of the video. Bradshaw kills Jeff Hardy

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_w7xkPwUoM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MoFo
05-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Snitsky's clothesline on Paul London in one of the Rumbles was brtl too.

GD
05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
When Bo Dallas eliminated Wade Barrett in a rumble and pinned him on RAW.