PDA

View Full Version : My Mom says wrestling is bad BECAUSE people don't get hurt in matches

Curtis
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
So I was talking wrestling with my Mom on the bus today and she said this,

"Wrestling is very bad because they do all these moves to each other, hit each other with chair, sticks and other weapons, punch etch other 50 times in the face and by the end of it all no one is seriously hurt just one guy walks out the winner and the other will get up and walk away too.

This teaches the young kids that if you punch etch other in the face alot, nothing will really happen and u can use weapons and stuff and youll only be "out" for 3 seconds.

She said MMA and Boxing are way healthier for kids to watch because in MMA and boxing, they throw a couple of punches and instantly they get cut open brows and blood and one good hit will knock you out for good, so it teaches kids that getting punched in the face is gonna mess you up bad".

I told my Mom she has a good point!

What is your opinion on this?

loopydate
05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but your mom isn't wrong.

It's sort of a simplistic take on it, but wrestling is not strong as far as showing consequences of actions. But, then again, neither are most cartoons or kids' shows in general.

The Jayman
05-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Can you draw this out for me?

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM

"Wrestling is very bad because they do all these moves to each other, hit each other with chair, sticks and other weapons, punch etch other 50 times in the face and by the end of it all no one is seriously hurt just one guy walks out the winner and the other will get up and walk away too.

This teaches the young kids that if you punch etch other in the face alot, nothing will really happen and u can use weapons and stuff and youll only be "out" for 3 seconds.

She said MMA and Boxing are way healthier for kids to watch because in MMA and boxing, they throw a couple of punches and instantly they get cut open brows and blood and one good hit will knock you out for good, so it teaches kids that getting punched in the face is gonna mess you up bad".

Sorry but she doesn't have a good point. Wrestling has consequences. Ask Lance Cade. Oh wait you can't because he died. With all the injuries and death involved in wrestling being reported you'd have to be mentally subnormal to not consider it violent.

Good idea not getting into a debate with her though. I hate when people have conversations on the bus. They usually get loud and annoying.

DaveBrawl
05-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Annoying, over opinionated people are the worst.

Rammsteinmad
05-15-2013, 03:28 PM
How old are you Curtis?

mike adamle
05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Sorry but she doesn't have a good point. Wrestling has consequences. Ask Lance Cade. Oh wait you can't because he died. With all the injuries and death involved in wrestling being reported you'd have to be mentally subnormal to not consider it violent.

Good idea not getting into a debate with her though. I hate when people have conversations on the bus. They usually get loud and annoying.

... Lance Cade was addicted to pills and had epilepsy. Big difference, moron.

WeedThePeople
05-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Did you tell your mum, that it's cool to smoke a joint?.

Wrestling is real, show her Over the Edge 99...

mike adamle
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

voncouch
05-15-2013, 05:06 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/Xx_Wild_Fire_xX/South%20Park/FacepalmStan.jpg

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
... Lance Cade was addicted to pills and had epilepsy. Big difference, moron.

Right. Because the pain he suffered in the ring didn't lead him to drugs? I know you are Team Gorm, but that is dumb even for you.

PullMyFinger
05-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Is your mom hot? Then I agree with her

Ruien
05-15-2013, 05:42 PM

I think you missed the point. 95% of the matches end with both people walking away with maybe a limp. In the "here now" time it makes it seem that being bashed with a chair over and over again only causes pain for a few moments/minutes and not something that would send you to the emergency room.

I go with the view that it is television with a rating on it. If you don't want your children to see it then do not let them. How many times did that coyote get fudged up after trying to catch the road runner.

rockman725
05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
When I first read this, I instantly agreed to the mom's point of view. The reason why has much to do with the presentation of the product and not the actual physicality of it. I don't watch TNA so my reasoning only comes from WWE. Let me expand a bit on what Ruien said above:

We all know how much wrestling hurts, how much pain (in more ways than one) can be caused by what these guys do. Though, when you look at today's presentation of wrestling, you don't see as much of it visually as you did years ago. When they started this "lets do things real" mantra back in '96/'97, the audience got to physically see what "damage" is being done. This concept lasted over 10 years and when you talk about the WWE specifically, things started to change near the end of 2007/beginning of 2008 and with the exception of a few storylines from that point forward, the realism was washed away by 2009. And by realism, I mean the physicality shown on television. The PG Era may bring in sponsors and get critics to back off a bit, but the concept of fighting somebody only to have them walk away after a few seconds is merely a video game in life form. It's no different than a game character eating a power token to give them "more life."

Basically what I am saying is that wrestling doesn't show the physicality and the consequences of that physicality as part of its selling point anymore. With that, I can agree with the mom's point of view. I'm sure if you asked the mom to watch from 1997-2006, she might feel a bit different about it, but we're talking about today and not 10 years ago.

Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with what the audience considers is "wrestling" versus what the company considers is "wrestling." The audience prefers 97-06 while the company does not...and for me, I'd like a little of both mixed together.

XL
05-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Ruien knows.

XL
05-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Also, rockman knows.

loopydate
05-15-2013, 06:51 PM
I also know.

Shisen Kopf
05-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Rasslin is real. Tell your mom she is an idiot and give her a diamond cutter. Bitch.

mike adamle
05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Right. Because the pain he suffered in the ring didn't lead him to drugs? I know you are Team Gorm, but that is dumb even for you.

It's well documented that Lance Cade was on pills well before he stepped foot in a wrestling ring....

Wishbone
05-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Because teaching kids that punching each other once will knock them unconscious is totally a good message. Honestly whether it's wrestling's "fake" violence or Boxing and MMA's real violence you're still showing a kid that beating on another person is something to be celebrated. Which it is because honestly if children would beat up people like Curtis on the playground maybe he wouldn't be here to put up these stupid posts, but I'm just saying that if she's anti violence then she shouldn't like boxing either.

Theo Dious
05-15-2013, 09:10 PM

A) So hurting someone for real is better than pretending to hurt someone? Would she rather you watch actual war footage than Rambo?
B) Does she also get upset about the message that Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner send regarding fakey violence?

Curd
05-16-2013, 12:42 AM
I agree with Curtis' mom. Have fifty people with autism watch MMA and another fifty watch WWE. Then ask them which sport is "more wrong to do to others" and see what what they say.

I use autistics as an example because they often have difficulty foreseeing longterm consequences of actions and hence would be good "baselines" by which to evaluate the differences in reception to presentation of violence in MMA and WWE. If someone works at a university, then this would be a good research proposal and might get some funding.

Shadrick
05-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Is your mom hot? Then I agree with her

BOTTLE SERVICE. ITS ON BRO. WEEK TO WEEK. ITS NOTHIN. YOLO.

WeedThePeople
05-16-2013, 05:45 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6zv05AcW11qam7doo1_500.jpg

Frank Drebin
05-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Curd + tits = Curtis.

There's something there but that's the best I could do.

XL
05-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Loopy also knows.

Tedious, however, does not.

XL
05-16-2013, 12:43 PM
A) So hurting someone for real is better than pretending to hurt someone? Would she rather you watch actual war footage than Rambo?
B) Does she also get upset about the message that Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner send regarding fakey violence?

Is it necessary to point out that Roadrunner is a cartoon?

mike adamle
05-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Ugh why was WeedThePeople banned :nono:

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
All your socks are going to be banned. Stop socking.

PullMyFinger
05-16-2013, 07:13 PM
BOTTLE SERVICE. ITS ON BRO. WEEK TO WEEK. ITS NOTHIN. YOLO.

Damn right bro

Theo Dious
05-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Is it necessary to point out that Roadrunner is a cartoon?

Should it be necessary to point out that a mother ought to have the sense enough to explain to her son that the guys in the WWE ring aren't actually trying to hurt each other in the same way that the UFC guys are? No, and yet, this thread exists.