PDA

View Full Version : Alberto Del Rio AKA Dos Caras Jr AKA Alberto Rodriguez

Kris P Lettus
05-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Just learned the current WWE Superstar Alberto Del Rio use to fight in (most likely fixed) MMA matches in Japan.. Here is a famous one where he fought Mirko Cro Cop..

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/89VCQmV6bLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Just alittle background, Price FC was a huge MMA organization in Japan.. They would put on huge events with upwards of 90k people in the audience and it was all about the pageantry.. They had some crazy matches where a 400 lbs guy would fight a 150lbs guy.. Some of it was legit, while some of the fights (like the one posted above) were works.. The difference in this and a company like New Japan, who would mix in MMA fighters and some real spots, was that Pride FC would only fix the fight by telling ONE of the fighters, so they post fight reaction was completely real, even though Del Rio purposely went down to that kick.. It created legends in guys like Cro Cop, but shows why he failed so badly once Zuffa bought the company and UFC absorbed all their better fighters..

Anyway I just found it interesting..

Even though Del Rio never beat anyone of note, he actually had a decent MMA career, but who knows how many of his "fights" were fixed..

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alberto-Rodriguez-2269

GD
05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I was aware of his MMA career but had no idea about the fights being fixed.

Kris P Lettus
05-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Alot of the Pride FC fights were fixed.. As I said, the reason it came across more realistic than "pro wrestling" because the fighters didn't discuss the spots.. The Pride management (the Yukuza) used to only grease the jobber, not grease both.. Sonnen told a story on JRE about when he was in Bodog Fights and one of his buddies was gonna do the job, well he took a huge punch to the chin, went down but the ref didn't step in to stop it.. While the opther fighter was about to come down with a hammer fist (Hendo style), the fighter trying to job had to "wake up" from being "knocked out" to defend himself..

Kinda sad, but it's actually pretty funny..

Supreme Olajuwon
05-27-2013, 08:48 PM
wait so St. Jimmy was right about MMA being fake all along

Supreme Olajuwon
05-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I knew it

Shisen Kopf
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM
MMA is fake. Everyone knows that!

Kris P Lettus
05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
MMA outside of sanctioning bodies is suspect..

Bad News Gertner
05-27-2013, 11:03 PM
It's fake and a fad. Everybody knows about Del Rio fighting Mirko.

Kris P Lettus
05-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Every WWE fan..