PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Announces 2DS Coming October 17th - $129.99

#BROKEN Hasney
08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18yf0lc45gmofgif/ku-bigpic.gif

My, that is an ugly piece of shit.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p986eUrW8Ic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Rogerer
08-28-2013, 11:31 AM
...What?

The Rogerer
08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Edit: I had an original 3DS and I hated the build quality, and I've been thinking about a XL now and again. My first reaction to that is horror, but the more I look... I dunno...

Edit 2: Actually, how are you supposed to hold it?

#BROKEN Hasney
08-28-2013, 11:35 AM
I have no idea, especially as it's aimed at kids. Looks like you need some big hands to hold it comfortably. Unless they have a wedge round the back like they do on the Wii U gamepad. That made it very comfortable to hold.

road doggy dogg
08-28-2013, 11:37 AM
How many different iterations of the DS are they up to now?
crossrine

#BROKEN Hasney
08-28-2013, 11:39 AM
DSDS Lite
DSi
3DS
3DS XL
2DS

Although to be fair, if you're including the 3DS line in with the DS, you could say the same about the Playstation Line which had:

PS
PSOnePS Yaroze
PS2
PS2 Slim
PSX
PS3
PS3 Slim
PS3 Super Slim

road doggy dogg
08-28-2013, 11:46 AM
PC gaming #1
crossrine

road doggy dogg
08-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Anyway, for the price point it could be okay I guess. I don't know. Still rocking my original DS until it dies on me.
crossrine

DaveBrawl
08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Haven't had a handheld game system since the original Gameboy & Game Gear.

The streak will continue by the looks of this.

Kane Knight
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
So are they basically admitting 3D is stupid and pointless? If they're advertising you can play 3DS games in 2D, it must not be that important.

Kane Knight
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
PC gaming #1
crossrine

I think there might be a few more iterations of PC. :p

road doggy dogg
08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I can't hear you over my 386 chugging trying to load my internet browser trying to read your reply!
crossrine

Emperor Smeat
08-28-2013, 02:22 PM
If that's meant mainly for kids, the button placement seems a bit odd. Looks like its too high up on the handheld.

Lock Jaw
08-28-2013, 02:29 PM
How hard would it have been to make that fold like all the other ones, come on.

Poit
08-28-2013, 07:46 PM
So are they basically admitting 3D is stupid and pointless? If they're advertising you can play 3DS games in 2D, it must not be that important.

I'd say no more pointless than any other sort of graphical advancement.

How hard would it have been to make that fold like all the other ones, come on.

To my understanding, making it not fold lets them use cheaper hardware. Also, making it fold can make it easier for the target audience (little kids) to break it.

OssMan
08-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Compy 386

Kane Knight
08-28-2013, 09:10 PM
If that's meant mainly for kids, the button placement seems a bit odd. Looks like its too high up on the handheld.

Indeed.

I'd say no more pointless than any other sort of graphical advancement.

Most other graphical advancements on handhelds and consoles don't get turned off.

To my understanding, making it not fold lets them use cheaper hardware. Also, making it fold can make it easier for the target audience (little kids) to break it.

Making it not fold makes the screens easier to damage for little kids.

I doubt the folding bit contributes significantly to the cost.

Poit
08-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Has there ever been another graphical enhancement on a console or handheld that can eb turned off?

Don't screen protectors solve the problem with kids scratching the screens?

Lock Jaw
08-29-2013, 01:28 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/snHLBJTNxTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kane Knight
08-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Has there ever been another graphical enhancement on a console or handheld that can eb turned off?

Why would there be, though?

Poit
08-29-2013, 04:38 AM
For instance, I like the 3D on my 3DS, but I often play without it to make the battery last longer.

But my main point is that the 3D screen is just something cool to look at, like HD graphics. They don't really have any point beyond that. If removing the 3D from the system lets them sell a cheaper model, I don't see any problem with that.

Kane Knight
08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
But you don't see them making a lower-resolution version of the 3DS, or a slider to turn the graphics down on the core unit, even though they could do that to further save battery life.

There is a level of practical benefit to better graphics, and on top of that, there's actually some consumer demand. 3D was never going to be on the level of that, in part because it was always going to be optional, but mostly because it's novelty disguised as a revolution. TEH FEWCHUR, as it was.

And yes, there's too much focus on graphical improvements in gaming, but those do have real benefits for most game types. Being able to better distinguish things and have them look like things they're supposed to look like is rarely a bad thing.

Fryza
08-30-2013, 03:06 AM
That new WiiU controller looks stupid.

Poit
08-30-2013, 03:54 AM
But you don't see them making a lower-resolution version of the 3DS, or a slider to turn the graphics down on the core unit, even though they could do that to further save battery life.

There is a level of practical benefit to better graphics, and on top of that, there's actually some consumer demand. 3D was never going to be on the level of that, in part because it was always going to be optional, but mostly because it's novelty disguised as a revolution. TEH FEWCHUR, as it was.

And yes, there's too much focus on graphical improvements in gaming, but those do have real benefits for most game types. Being able to better distinguish things and have them look like things they're supposed to look like is rarely a bad thing.

Wouldn't allowing the user to set the resolution or graphics quality require more work by the developers? Huh, I wonder if the 3D thing requires the same thing.

I suppose I'm somewhat biased against "good graphics", since most of my console games are RPGs. As long as I can read the text, I'm good.

Kalyx triaD
08-30-2013, 04:18 AM
- This is for younger kids, and the parents having a cheaper option come Xmas.
- 3D isn't advised for young kids, now you can make sure of it being off.
- Kids tend to break the folding DS handhelds, basic body is built for tumbling.
- No special screen means cheaper production for Nintendo.
- Not made for our kind, again this is for kids. Design makes sense with intention in mind.

Kalyx triaD
08-30-2013, 04:32 AM
This isn't the 'next' iteration of DS.