PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever stepped back and thought about how ridiculous wrestling is?

Bad News Gertner
09-23-2013, 03:45 PM
More of the concept. We all spend our Monday nights watching grown men pretend to fight wearing next to nothing with predetermined results. Like who the hell thought " you know what would be an awesome business? Two men pretending to fight.

Razzamajazz
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
yes

Bad News Gertner
09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Lol it really is stupid when you think of it

Supreme Olajuwon
09-23-2013, 03:52 PM
It's legitimate theatre.

Razzamajazz
09-23-2013, 03:55 PM
it's like a traveling theatre

Asmo
09-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Theatre. Circus. Freakshow.
I think the WWE got it right.
Entertainment.
Now. Then. Forever.

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2013, 04:29 PM
It is a hilariously dated form of entertainment if you think about it. Like something more appropriate for the 1800's. It's unique though. Some weird sports/theater/comic book hybrid.

DaveBrawl
09-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Artistic combat if you will.

Swiss Ultimate
09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
It's real, dammit!

Shisen Kopf
09-23-2013, 06:07 PM
More of the concept. We all spend our Monday nights watching grown men pretend to fight wearing next to nothing with predetermined results. Like who the hell thought " you know what would be an awesome business? Two men pretending to fight.

Please tell me you ain't doubting the serious business nature of pro rasslin.

scatterbrain28
09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Whenever I watch an old ECW video or anything with Russo's fingerprints.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jfE4gBzDCwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JimmyMess
09-23-2013, 06:50 PM
try explaining a "compelling" wrestling storyline to someone who has either A. never watched wrestling or B. Hasn't watched in 20 years.

They think you sound completely insane, and when you think back, you probably do.

#1-norm-fan
09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
I explained The Wyatt Family/showed their vignettes and some Bray NXT promos to a couple people who thought it was pretty good. Then it came time for them to actually start wrestling and it got weird.

Also, I introduced a friend of mine to Johnny Curtis through NXT segments and he thought the guy was "too good for wrestling". Then I showed him Fandango and he thought it was great. Then it came down to random wrestling matches. He still thinks he's too good for wrestling...

In the Wyatt's case, I think Bray is so good he comes off more as a legit television character and less like a corny wrestling character. In Johnny Curtis' case, he's so good he comes off as a guy who's kinda just giving a wink to the audience as if to say "I know it's corny. So let's just have fun with it."

I partially blame the fact that live wrestling crowds today don't seem to give a shit about anything at all (not that they should give much of a fuck about the random, meaningless matches with no story that take up most of the show). I can imagine not being a wrestling fan, watching Raw and thinking "The people who paid money to be there live seem bored out of their mind. Why the fuck would I wanna become a fan of this?"

But I digress...

weather vane
09-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Al Snow was so over fuck.

Cool King
09-23-2013, 07:15 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8VEAXDV1Sr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

simplythevest
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Cue the inevitable "have you ever considered how ridiculous Gertner is?" parody thread.

Bad News Gertner
09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm the pulse of TPWW

#1-norm-fan
09-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I wish the other two members of the Shield were remotely as entertaining as Dean Ambrose. Just a thought I had watching the video above.

Theo Dious
09-24-2013, 12:31 AM
I wish the other two members of the Shield were remotely as entertaining as Dean Ambrose. Just a thought I had watching the video above.

I continue to be completely bewildered by the idea that anyone but Ambrose is going to be the biggest thing to come out of the Shield. The idea that Reigns is going to be a top guy on his own damages my brains.

dronepool
09-24-2013, 01:09 AM
It's silly, mindless well produced entertainment.

Shisen Kopf
09-24-2013, 01:10 AM
It's no sillier than a Gwar concert. And Gwar fucking rules!

dronepool
09-24-2013, 02:35 AM

Troma films are fun. WWE is like an athletic Troma traveling theater.

Bad News Gertner
09-24-2013, 02:59 AM
I remember on another site a while ago stating wrestling is no different than the circus and people. Got pissed lol

Asmo
09-24-2013, 04:15 AM

This!

DaVe
09-24-2013, 07:42 AM
You just realised Gertner?

Bad News Gertner
09-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Been meaning to post this thread for a long time. Always just slipped my mind.

Shisen Kopf
09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I remember on another site a while ago stating wrestling is no different than the circus and people. Got pissed lol

was that Rajah?

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I do miss a crowd that actually reacts to stuff. Not just random moments, but literally is red hot the entire show. Problem is for the most part, nobody organically connects with the audience. It's all force fed. They have effectively killed off the parts of wrestling we call came to know and love. OH WELL.

I think that was the reason wrestling was so popular in its boom periods.. the crowds were insane, and ate everything up. You could feel the energy from the t.v. and you were like "good god I wish I was there" because being there was like a party. Not like that anymore. It's so deflated.

Blonde Moment
09-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Too much has changed over the past 20 years for wrestling to have that feeling. Things have just gotten too politically correct, too hands off. Have to wtch what you say, what you do, who you do it to and whether or not you are going to be on camera when you do it. Granted that last live event I saw was Bad News Browns retirement match against Don Callis

Tom Guycott
09-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Part of that is because going to wrestling shows has become an "event" for people to say they went toin the same way they can say they went to a concert or a live sporting event. It's less populated by people who truly "give a shit" and even more watered down by larger venues.

I'm not saying WWE should go back to running shows at VFWs or somesuch, I'm saying look at some of the earlier RAW shows- or rather where they were run, and then look at the massive arenas they fill up now that would have only been run during PPVs. A vast majority of the people on that opening wide crane shot of RAW or SD aren't "into" wrestling as much as they're on a social outing. As such, they really don't care about the show at all, thus, all the screaming girl cheers at "Voices" even if Orton is about to go punt a newborn baby into the crowd, or everyone chants "WE THE PEOPLE!" because its something to chant instead of booing the heels proper like.

Its one of the reasons why the ECW fans got the rep they got: the small venues were jam packed with people who cared. You got "you fucked up" for botches, you got the "oooohhh!" for huge shots/big moves in a match. You got standng o's for a technical display between two people who could go. You got the "holy shit" moments. You'd get massive, roof blowing pops for faces and heels getting boo'd out of the building and pelted with garbage. The crowd was into what they were watching. They didn't just go to an ECW show to say they were there and it was the cool thing to do. And with the few exceptions like Chicago, Philly, or damn near anywhere in Canada they run a show, you barely get that anymore.

Tom Guycott
09-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Knew that would happen. My last post was geared towards GDN's comments.

Heisenberg
09-24-2013, 06:09 PM
If I didn't have wrestling, I'd never know how it would be to become nWo 4 life and sustain that promise. I don't want to live in that facade, I dropped an onion in a grocery store one time and man I'll tell ya, not a good pretty sight, I mean I smashed that thing up, had to pay for it.

Emperor Smeat
09-24-2013, 08:20 PM
A bunch of times. Usually when something really ridiculous occurs that even trying to explain it to someone else still makes it sound really dumb.

Shisen Kopf
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Katie Vick was a good idea.

Juan
09-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Ambrose loses some cool points for liking Botchamania

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Really? I doubt his Botchamania feelings will ever translate into his ring work.

CSL
09-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Always. And the Ambrose video sums it up perfectly. It's the reason people bitching about things like The Cobra is hilarious.

Juan
09-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Really? I doubt his Botchamania feelings will ever translate into his ring work.

Yeah, that's not exactly what I meant by "cool points"

Kane Knight
09-25-2013, 05:59 PM
I defy you to name one ridiculous thing in wrestling.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2013, 06:12 PM
I would actually like to see a list of how many cool points each wrestler currently has.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2013, 06:14 PM
We should do a thread like "give a little, take a little" using only current wrestlers where everyone can come in and add or subtract cool points for their actions either on television or IRL. Might be kinda fun.

scatterbrain28
09-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Katie Vick was a good idea.

Well it got me to watch after a slow year when I was about to give up on WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/photo_large/public/photo/image/2013/08/01_AXX_08172013ej_0091.jpg

Coolest man alive.

Mr. Nerfect
09-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Wrestling is truly ridiculous. It's also ridiculous in a kayfabe sense (not really what we are talking about). For example -- why hasn't Randy Orton just punted Daniel Bryan during one of the massive beat-downs they have put on him?

XL
09-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Or why hasn't HHH just sent Bryan to NXT for some "seasoning" to turn him from a B+ to an A?

Why are heel authority figures allowed to run riot in a publicly traded company without interference from the Board?

There are tonnes of those little idiosyncrasies in wrestling.

Mr. Nerfect
09-26-2013, 07:22 AM
While watching NXT this week, I thought it would be kind of interesting if Triple H gave Cody Rhodes a new NXT contract, where if he wins 174 matches in a row (beating Goldberg's streak), then he'd get a new main roster contract. His matches could take place on NXT and at live events. Do you think something like that would work?

DaveBrawl
09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I would actually like to see a list of how many cool points each wrestler currently has.
Sin Cara has like 1000.

Anybody Thrilla
09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
While watching NXT this week, I thought it would be kind of interesting if Triple H gave Cody Rhodes a new NXT contract, where if he wins 174 matches in a row (beating Goldberg's streak), then he'd get a new main roster contract. His matches could take place on NXT and at live events. Do you think something like that would work?

No, because hardly anyone would be watching any of his "struggle".

Fox
09-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Is it really any more ridiculous than something "respectable" like a Broadway production? Fully grown men and women dressing up in wild costumes and pretending they're someone that they're not, acting out dramatics for a crowd.

Also, gathering to watch a fight in the middle of an arena is one of the oldest forms of amusement and sport.

DAMN iNATOR
09-28-2013, 09:49 PM
It's real, dammit!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V0EZobdiJ4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get it right, or don't say it at all! :nono:

KIRA
09-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Then there are the moves that require a ridiculous amount of cooperation to pull off,I mean the Kill-switch really!

Zeeboe
09-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Yup. Which is why I stopped watching it over ten years ago.

Asmo
09-29-2013, 10:55 AM
OMG! Zeeboe!

HunterSK
09-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I think about that very thing every time I've watched it since I've been 15 years old. Went to a live event as of recent and holy shit, the average fan is 3 feet tall and fat as fuck...

I'm more embarrassed over the other fans that represent us...

Like 95 percent of those people I'd guess were the biggest losers in their high school and instead of turning it around in the real world they got caught up in wrestling and believe it to be true.

Actually had a guy who lived across the hall for years and he'd watch wrestling inbetween beating his wife(I wish that was an unfunny joke) Then bump into me into the hall and be like "CM Punk was so nice but he's a jerk now.... Did you see what he...." He really believed this shit.

.... He also insisted the condo over his was growing coke and heroin....

ron the dial
09-29-2013, 05:43 PM
just step back and think about life in general, guys. wrestling is not that far out there.