PDA

View Full Version : Would Hogan vs. Cena be a better match than Cena vs. Rock?

Graveler
10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Would Hogan (at the time of the X8 Mania Match) have had a better match with Cena than the Rock did? I I thought that Rock- Cena was disappointing both times.

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Hogan-Cena would be fucking incredible for the atmosphere alone if Hogan could still go. I'd say yes.

JimmyMess
10-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Athletically, probably not.

But...

Hogan knows how to work his own limitations, his rest spots were even epic. He's so far above everyone when it comes to being/getting over that its no question Hogan/Cena would be better than Rock/Cena

Emperor Smeat
10-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Probably not but the build up to the match would have been a lot better.

Biggest problem with both buildups for Rock vs Cena was Rock's schedule and the promo war being too one sided with the way it was set up.

Bad News Gertner
10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I would watch Hogan vs Ezekiel Jackson main eventing Wrestlemania and still enjoy the hell out of it. Fucking love Hogan.

Fignuts
10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Not even the rock can hold a crowd like Hogan. The atmosphere and crowd reactions would have made it a better match, i think.

Bad News Gertner
10-29-2013, 08:42 PM
I've seen Rock vs Hogan about 20 times and I still get excited when Hogan kicks out of the Rock Bottom and hulks up.

Gerard
10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Assuming he can hit the leg drop without busting a hip or further damaging his tailbone then yes.

XL
10-30-2013, 04:44 PM
The crowd got behind Hogan a few weeks after he tried to kill The Rock. Imagine the reaction for Hogan against Cena.

CSL
10-30-2013, 04:56 PM
it would be almost the exact same match/style, only with I daresay a hotter crowd. So maybe.

Joesgonnakillyou
10-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Nah

Fox
11-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Definitely.

Rock might be far more athletic than Hulk Hogan, and he may have had technically better matches than Hogan, but no one can touch the Hulkster when it comes to telling a story in the ring. Hogan was the reason that Mania X-8 was so amazing. He just "gets it" when it comes to cultivating the "big match atmosphere."

I have watched Rock/Hogan at least a dozen or more times, and it's always enjoyable, because something about it just screams "iconic." Even though I know exactly what will happen, I love watching that god damn match. It just has a "feel" to it, unlike any other match I think I've ever seen, save perhaps RVD/Cena and MITB 2011.

I've tried to re-watch Rock/Cena 1 and 2 several times, and usually end up falling asleep or turning it off. It lacks everything that made Rock/Hogan so special.

DaVe
11-05-2013, 02:00 AM
No.

Destor
11-05-2013, 02:23 AM
i doubt it would be worse

Tony Revolution
11-05-2013, 05:20 AM
I was at mania last year for Rock/Cena II, I've fallen asleep 3 times trying to rewatch that match and I don't even think it was that bad of a match. That being said, I've watched Hogan/Rock more times than I can count and have been on the edge of the edge everytime.

In no way is that a knock on Cena, considering he did more than his fair share of hyping that match, but Dwayne's schedule really held things back. A proper build with Hogan and Cena would be amazing! Plus I really fucking hate Dwayne. Hogan knows best.

CBright7831
11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
A few years ago? Maybe. Now what's Hogan going to do? Point and punch people to death? That's all that Hogan can do at this point. His body won't even allow him to do a leg drop anymore due to the fragile state of his back. Hogan was at some sort of event where he had an arm wrestling match with the mayor of Toronto and they were going to do a stunt where Hogan got attacked from behind but Hogan couldn't even do that because of (again) his back. His match with Sting at TNA's 2011 Bound for Glory is more proof as all he did was fan service, punch, and all down. Sting couldn't even use his finisher correctly because of Hogan's maneuverability.

CSL
11-05-2013, 12:41 PM
His match with Sting at TNA's 2011 Bound for Glory is more proof as all he did was fan service, punch, and all down. Sting couldn't even use his finisher correctly because of Hogan's maneuverability.

it was also the loudest/most raucous I've ever seen a TNA crowd but some distance. That said, it states in the first post "at the time of the Mania X8 match"

Heisenberg
11-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Cena w/ Hogan v.s. Roman Reigns w/Rock v.s. CM Punk w/ Stone Cold would be a dream match for me @ WM.

This could have potential swerves, the Reigns and Punk teams build of not getting along with each other. Reigns could be turned face off a Cena heel turn(I know, I know, bear with me) with Hogan to blame being in his ear about the business.

CM Punk and Stone Cold can trade barbs and invest in main eventing the next WM.

Rollermacka
11-05-2013, 05:15 PM
it was also the loudest/most raucous I've ever seen a TNA crowd but some distance. That said, it states in the first post "at the time of the Mania X8 match"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zw2Ud5piw0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I may be one of the few, but I really did enjoy this match. Going into it the build up was great and it was billed as a street fight so you already knew it wasn't gonna be a classic technical match. Plus, it was a Hogan match so you knew what was gonna happen.

scatterbrain28
11-08-2013, 09:30 AM
A few years ago? Maybe. Now what's Hogan going to do? Point and punch people to death? That's all that Hogan can do at this point. His body won't even allow him to do a leg drop anymore due to the fragile state of his back. Hogan was at some sort of event where he had an arm wrestling match with the mayor of Toronto and they were going to do a stunt where Hogan got attacked from behind but Hogan couldn't even do that because of (again) his back. His match with Sting at TNA's 2011 Bound for Glory is more proof as all he did was fan service, punch, and all down. Sting couldn't even use his finisher correctly because of Hogan's maneuverability.

I think the mayor has some "meds" that might help lol.

dronepool
11-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I like the Rock more than Hogan but YES, Hogan vs Cena would be better.

XL
11-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Probably not a better match (in the physical sense) but a better spectacle, definitely.

Bad News Gertner
11-11-2013, 07:08 AM
I don't know about that. I've seen Hogan vs Rock a thousand times and still get goosebumps watching it. My fav match of all time.

Shisen Kopf
11-11-2013, 08:13 AM
I've seen Rock vs Hogan about 20 times and I still get excited when Hogan kicks out of the Rock Bottom and hulks up.

WM18 was the best rasslin event I've ever been to. I'm on the DVD, see if you can find me!

Heyman
11-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Hogan's last match ever in wrestling history.............against Cena at Mania'

How cool would that be?

Hogan comes back to the WWE and announces that he'll be retiring FOREVER from the ring..........but wants one more match against John Cena. If Hogan wins, he retires as a World/WWE Champion.

The two face at Mania'..........with Cena going over, but not before a valiant effort on Hogan's part.

Sixx
11-16-2013, 06:57 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zw2Ud5piw0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I may be one of the few, but I really did enjoy this match. Going into it the build up was great and it was billed as a street fight so you already knew it wasn't gonna be a classic technical match. Plus, it was a Hogan match so you knew what was gonna happen.

Holy shit, all you have to do is to look at their fuckin' outfits to see how horrible and low-budget TNA is compared to WWE.

Optimus Bone 69
11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
not read any of this thread but as a uk fan i would part with my smelly £'s to see Hogan vs Cena
probably an awful match but can you imagine the build up videos alone