PDA

View Full Version : I love the United States title. (and the TV title too, sorta)

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 04:29 PM
http://turnbuckle.wdfiles.com/local--files/wwe-united-states-championship/WWEUS.jpg

There have been some seriously great reigns/moments involved with this title. MVP, The Miz, Antonio Cesaro, etc.

I love Dean Ambrose, and I'd love to see him given the opportunity to defend this bad boy more often.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I just love the title and I wanted to give it props.

What do you think about the US title? What was your favorite US title reign?

#1-norm-fan
12-25-2013, 04:43 PM
It's a cool looking belt. It sucks that I forget it exists most of the time. With 3 hours of TV, they really have no excuse to not write stories that revolve around it other than sheer laziness.

I can't really think of too many great WWE moments with it. I love MVP so him beating Benoit for it 2 straight falls in a 2 out of 3 falls match, as a heel no less, was pretty remarkable.

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Ohhhh yeah, that was a great match. Didn't Booker T and Chris Benoit's 'best of seven' series in WCW revolve around this title too?

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I know Cesaro's reign was very recent, but he was putting on awesome matches pretty much every show.

#1-norm-fan
12-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Ohhhh yeah, that was a great match. Didn't Booker T and Chris Benoit's 'best of seven' series in WCW revolve around this title too?

I think so. Booker also had a best of 7 series with Cena over it.

whiteyford
12-25-2013, 04:48 PM
DDP/Raven/Benoit US title feud in WCW was amazing. Agree with #1fan, there's no excuse for not having the title featured every week other than through laziness.

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah, Raven was a boss with the title too. I still remember when Goldberg beat him for it. Shit hot match.

whiteyford
12-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Raven was just the tits back then though.

whiteyford
12-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Would love Ambrose to defend it every week, build it up ala RVD and the TV title.

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I think it was the opening match of Halloween Havoc 98 or so...a non-advertised match with Chris Jericho and Raven. Was that for the US title? Whether it was or wasn't, still a fucking great match.

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Nope, it was the Television title, but that doesn't exist anymore, so let's talk about that too.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/150/055/WCW_TV_Champion_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

whiteyford
12-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Always associate that with Rick Steiner for some reason, not even sure if he held it now.

dronepool
12-25-2013, 04:58 PM
I think it should be defended more, seems like almost every belt (besides the World title) is a prop to carry around.

Razzamajazz
12-25-2013, 04:59 PM
i think the miz's best work was when he was the US champion.

Anybody Thrilla
12-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes, The Miz was a beastly beast with the US title. It propelled him to stardom.

Oddly enough, the WWE title de-propelled him into mediocrity.

mike adamle
12-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Benoit vs. Regal on Velocity is my favorite US title match.

Fignuts
12-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Didn't Eddie beat Flair for this title way back in WCW?

Emperor Smeat
12-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Didn't Eddie beat Flair for this title way back in WCW?
Wikipedia says no since Flair dropped it due to an injury and Eddie beat someone else in a tournament for the belt.

#1-norm-fan
12-25-2013, 07:32 PM
When I think of the TV Title, I think of "Stunning" Steve Austin.

Hanso Amore
12-25-2013, 07:46 PM
With the titles merged they could run just one champ up to wrestlemania. That gives them plenty of time to rebuild the ic or us title into a legit number 2 title.

They really should have punk challenge for and win the us title at the rumble. Then they could focus the shield going after the title with reigns being the one to win it and then split from the shield. That could really push the title up, be a good program, and transition reigns into a legit singles star.

Juan
12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Was just watching the Clash of the Champions DVD and there's an awesome match on there between Dustin Rhodes and Steven Regal for the Television Title with the added bonus of Bobby Heenan and Gordon Solie on commentary

#1-norm-fan
12-25-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't like two titles having the same purpose because it just waters down having either. So I'd like to see the IC Title be that "close to elite main event" level title it once was for guys like Bryan, Punk, The Shield, etc. who aren't quite Cena/Rock/Lesnar level yet and for the US Title to be a level below that for guys like Kofi, Miz, Ziggler, etc. who are closer to the middle of the card. Kinda like what the TV title was for WCW when guys like Johnny B Badd and Steven Regal were fighting over it.

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I think so. Booker also had a best of 7 series with Cena over it.

I think Booker and Benoit's Best of 7 Series was for a TV Title shot. And I have a feeling that Booker and Cena had a Best of 5 Series.

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2013, 06:44 PM
When Dean Ambrose drops the US Title (probably to Roman Reigns), I'm hoping that is the catalyst to Dean becoming "Loose Cannon" Ambrose. It would put the title over for meaning so much to him. Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose can continue their feud and trade the title a few times. I think people would get right behind their story.

The WWE is likely to do Big E. Langston vs. Mark Henry for the Intercontinental Title, but perhaps Big E. Langston vs. Dolph Ziggler would be better? Langston can come out and say that he wants to give Henry an IC Title shot and they can shake hands on the match and such, but then Dolph Ziggler takes out Henry's leg with a chair or something. The doctors tell Henry that he's going to miss WrestleMania and Ziggler becomes this super-dick heel heading into the PPV where he is trying to take Langston's title. Henry can appear at ringside in his awesome salmon suit and stand up to Dolph, only to get kicked in the leg and have his crutch used as a weapon while the referee is down. That feud would be awesome and you know it.

voncouch
01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
I loved the TV Title. Maybe my favorite belt in early 90s WCW. Austin was great with it and put on some awesome workhorse matches in those days.

http://kentuckyfriedwrestling.com/theword2/wp-content/uploads/Steve_Austin_456651a1.jpg

Anybody Thrilla
01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
I wish Heyman still used that EXACT cell phone today. Would be awesome.

Swiss Ultimate
01-02-2014, 03:22 PM
He really needs to bring it back.

dronepool
01-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Old School.

Perfect-Plex
01-04-2014, 11:51 AM
i was wondering about this the other day.. i cant remember the last time he actually defended the title. does anyone?

Evil Vito
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I think the US Title would work great as a third-tier belt, but they barely acknowledge its existence. I can't even remember Ambrose's last title defense. And yet when he goes to defend it against a newly-turned Reigns and Reigns wins it, they'll put it over as a huge deal only for him to not defend it, either.</font>

James Steele
01-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I hate the design. It looks like flag vomit. It was the first belt in this era of shitty cartoon title belts.

Sexton-Hardcastle
01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
There have been some great matches and feuds over this title in the past but its been reduced to basically nothing now....Its carried around by a guy whos main attention isn't on it....Titles should be the lifeblood of every show...Thats how pro wrestling has always been and should be....Nobody cares that Dean Ambrose is the current US Champion..because he's not involved in a feud over the title...He's working week in week out with people who are higher up the card than the US title.

I'd like to see that rectified....and maybe it will be as The Shield dissolve...maybe the three of them can feud over it for a few months and have a massive payoff match that elevates all three of them.

The royal rumble is the ideal place to start this feud proper...have the three of them as the only participants in the match at some point...either at the start or midmatch maybe have Reigns come in while Rollins and Ambrose are already there....The three of them clean House, then Ambrose eliminates Rollins in some sly/dastardly manner. Reigns looks shocked and then gives Ambrose the proverbial 'Thumbs Down' and Overpowers him and remains as the only participant while Rollins and Ambrose fight to the back leaving Reigns to take on the next entrant.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Apparently Ambrose's last defense of the US Title was against Big E. Langston in October.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
When The Shield do split, I imagine the US Title could very well find itself as the centerpiece of their feud, and that will only be good for it -- after all, people genuinely care about The Shield since they have been booked quite effectively as a unit.