PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dropkick Murphys songs?

Kane Knight
05-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Since a good number of their songs are covers, it doesn't matter if they did it first per se, just that they did it.

For me...

10 years of service
Boys on the Docks
The Dirty Glass (Funny as Hell)
The outcast (Also referred to by a lot of people as Break the Law)
Walk Away
Which Side Are you on?
The Worker's song.

el fregadero
05-16-2004, 03:58 PM
The Dirty Glass
The Outcast
The Worker's Song
Barroom Hero
Walk Away
Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced
Black Velvet Band

Kane Knight
05-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Awesome.

MVP
05-16-2004, 08:25 PM
I've only heard them a couple times on Conan O'Brian, sounded pretty good.

I've been meaning to download some of their shit.

Cactus Sid
05-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced

:love: :love: :love:

Seeing them in August

Kane Knight
05-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Download some of mentioned songs. :love:

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 09:27 PM
I have heard their version of the Wild Rover, which wasn't all that great. Do they do any other traditional Irish arrangements?

To me they sound kind of like a hundred other bands who play round Dublin and try to emulate the Irish folk/punk fusion that Shane MacGowan pioneered 20 years or more ago.

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I am trying to get songs, but currently both kazaa lite and soulseek are being shit.

Their version of Fields of Athenry is pretty dire, but that song is hard to do well now, outside of a rugby or football crowd singing it at Lansdowne Road.

If you like the Dropkick Murphys, you might want to check out the following Pogues songs. The Pogues are my favourites of all time:

If I Should Fall from Grace with God
Turkish Song of the Damned
Bottle of Smoke
Streams of Whiskey
Body of an American
A Rainy Night in SoHo
Sickbed of Cuchulain
Dirty Old Town
Boys from the County Hell
Waxie's Dargle
Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go
A Pair of Brown Eyes
Fiesta
Fairytale of New York
Streets of Sorrow/Birmingham Six (Shane MacGowan got cut off on live TV singing this song, because of the politics of the time. Full of eloquent venom)
Poor Paddy
Sally MacLennane

el fregadero
05-16-2004, 11:07 PM
I've got some of their songs, I'll be on Soulseek later on tonight, if you want to d/l some then.

Kane Knight
05-16-2004, 11:54 PM
I have heard their version of the Wild Rover, which wasn't all that great. Do they do any other traditional Irish arrangements?

To me they sound kind of like a hundred other bands who play round Dublin and try to emulate the Irish folk/punk fusion that Shane MacGowan pioneered 20 years or more ago.
They do a ton of trad. arrangements.

I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head tho.

I listened to the Pogues, but I'm not much hearing the similarity besides the roots in folk songs (Such as the droning bass lines...).

The weirdest thing they do is prolly a cover of "Charlie on the MTA" which is called "Skinhead on the MBTA." I know, it's not exactly a traditional irish song, but I felt like mentioning it.

Have you heard much form their new album? I tend to prefer it to most of their stuff.

el fregadero
05-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Blackout is the only album of theirs that I have and it is pretty darned good.

Kane Knight
05-17-2004, 02:12 AM
I personally think it's their best.

It's not to say I hate their other albums, or anything (That'd be weird, since I have almost all of them...).

Ska-Wars
05-18-2004, 12:08 PM
I really love Bar Room Hero, Walk Away and World Full Of Hate is pretty awesome too.

The Icon of Elisim
05-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Heros of our past

The Outlaw
05-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced

kamakazek9
05-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Dropkick and the Pogues are both awesome
good dropkick songs

The Fighting 69th
The Spicy McHaggis Jig
For Boston
The Guns of Brixton
Good Rats
Rocky Road To Dublin
The Fortunes of War
just to name a few

El Capitano Gatisto
05-22-2004, 12:23 AM
They do a ton of trad. arrangements.

I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head tho.

I listened to the Pogues, but I'm not much hearing the similarity besides the roots in folk songs (Such as the droning bass lines...).

The weirdest thing they do is prolly a cover of "Charlie on the MTA" which is called "Skinhead on the MBTA." I know, it's not exactly a traditional irish song, but I felt like mentioning it.

Have you heard much form their new album? I tend to prefer it to most of their stuff.

The Irish folk/punk thing was invented, by most accounts, by Shane MacGowan so it would really take a good band for me personally to not seem like a pale imitation, rather than, say, a band tackling the same genre.

I am being misleading though, they sound much more like MacGowan's later work with the Popes, which has electric instruments. Listen to "Donegal Express" for example, which is my favourite song from that body of work, which I generally don't like nearly as much as the Pogues stuff.

I'm trying to get more Murphy's stuff, but the download programs seem to have gone to shit. I suppose the problem, really, is that around Dublin there are hundreds of tinpot bands who try that sound, and try that particular style of singing with it, so it passes me by unless it is really, really good.

Kane Knight
05-22-2004, 03:41 AM
Yeah, well, In Vermont, I'm not exposed to those bands, so I guess it's easier to have a different set of standards on the deal. Since most of the bands indegenous to the area are folk, so something that's folk is going to sound a little less unique, whereas Dropkick Murphys are going to sound more interesting in a landscape of Beach Boys throwbacks who think they're "punk."

I'm DLing the song mentioned, or trying to. Soulseek has been a cu</>nt of late. might be a few years before I manage to DL.

If you can manage to get the Blackout album, I'd recommend at least trying it. Maybe you'll wanna gouge your ears out, but their stuff is generally better than the cover of fields of Atherny. Walk Away, The Outcast, Workers' Song (The pickford cover), Gonna be a Blackout tonight (Guthrie lyrics, most of my interest comes from that fact), etc. Most of my faves come off that album.

Their quality kinda varies.

I'm also more drawn in by electric instruments, though a lot of the droning basslines make me wanna scream electric OR acoustic (Same with a couple of the Stone Coyotes tracks, and I love 'em to pieces...)

Esoteric
05-28-2004, 11:53 PM
spicy mchaggis jig i got their live album from st patricks day if u like live music check it out its pretty good and has lots of bagpipes and shit

Kane Knight
05-28-2004, 11:58 PM
I have their Live CD, live DVD and the live tracks off their Singles collection. :D

Esoteric
05-29-2004, 12:01 AM
^^^^^* hands him a cookie* hahahahahah thats tight though yeah im getting or at least trying to get back into the Murpheys Blackout to me was good, but again it also made me stop listening to them for a while but hopefully be able to find some of their older stuff