PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: 30 For 30

Bad News Gertner
01-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Just watched The Price of Gold: Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan. It was ok.

Huge fan of this series. Anybody else watch these? What are your favourites? Anything that you'd like to see get covered? Would love one on the old WHA. Great stories there.

Favourites:

Tim Richmond: The NASCAR driver with AIDS

John Spano buying the Islanders

The U.

The Fab 5

Broke

Who Killed The USFL.

McLegend
01-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Allen Iverson

Bad News Gertner
01-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Keep meaning to watch that one.

Watched the Marion Jones one last night. Had a feeling it was going to be "poor Marion Jones, let's feel sorry for her".....and it was. She's pretty hott though.

DaveBrawl
01-22-2014, 08:34 AM
All of them that I've seen have been pretty good, but I absolutely loved the one about the U. Makes me sad to think how awful they have been for the last 10 or so years compared to what they were.

Droford
01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
The one about the Baltimore Colts Band was my favorite

CSL
01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
love these, have every single one downloaded except The Marinovich Project, which I eventually got to see on Netflix. Too many favourites to list, The U, The Fab Five, Jordan Rides The Bus, Four Days In October, Once Brothers, Free Spirits, Unguarded, The Dewey Bozella Story, Pony Excess, The Best That Never Was, Without Bias, Catching Hell, Fernando Nation, The Guru of Go, Jimmy The Greek, Survive and Advance, Big Shot and more I'm not listing etc etc, they are all pretty great regardless of the subject. Benji is probably the best of the lot however. Have Youngstown Boys and The Price of Gold/the most recent two on the laptop, need to see them still.

CSL
01-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Elway to Marino, Winning Time and Roll Tide/War Eagle are outstanding as well. Would like to see more hockey and baseball ones, things that revolve around drafts, maybe something about Eric Lindros/the Nordiques (saw a 20 minute bit on this, a 30 for 30 version of that with current day interviews with everybody involved maybe), Eli/Rivers/Roethlisberger/2004, the original Browns moving to Baltimore/subsequent "rebirth" etc

Seth82
01-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I am a huge fan of this series.

My Favorites:
Pony Excess
The U
Who Killed The USFL
Tim Richmond: To The Limit
Catching Hell
June 17th 1994
The Best That Never Was (Marcus Dupree doc)
The Two Escobars
Ghosts of Ole Miss
The Legend of Jimmy The Greek
Into The Wind (Terry Fox doc)
The Announcement
Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs The New York Knicks
Straight Outta LA
Without Bias

Many of these are available on Youtube btw.

Emperor Smeat
01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Who Killed the USFL?
Without Bias
The 16th Man
The Two Escobars
Four Days In October
Catching Hell

Liked those the most out of the 30 For 30 series.

Bad News Gertner
01-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Elway to Marino, Winning Time and Roll Tide/War Eagle are outstanding as well. Would like to see more hockey and baseball ones, things that revolve around drafts, maybe something about Eric Lindros/the Nordiques (saw a 20 minute bit on this, a 30 for 30 version of that with current day interviews with everybody involved maybe), Eli/Rivers/Roethlisberger/2004, the original Browns moving to Baltimore/subsequent "rebirth" etc

One on the World Hockey Association would be incredible. Pick up the book "The Rebel League". Best sports book I've ever read.

Been dying to see something on Link Gaetz. The stories about him are amazing.

Tom Guycott
01-23-2014, 12:13 AM
They're all pretty well done. I guess I liked Pony Excess, Marinovich Project, and Broke the most, but they're all pretty damn good.

Also, Youngstown Boys, but that one was a bit personal being my hometown and all.

Even if you don't care about the sport or team they're covering, they've all been pretty compelling stories.

DaveBrawl
01-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I forgot about Pony Express, I only saw the last half or so of it, but that was also really good.

Krimzon7
01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
This is one of the best series on Television.

Corndad
01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
All of them have really been outstanding but I would say my top 3 would be

Tim Richmond: To The Limit
June 17th 1994
Catching Hell

Watched Jordan Rides the Bus the other day on Netfix and I enjoyed it as well.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
the 2 boxing ones, about Ali and Homes, and No Mas are my two favourites.

Bad News Gertner
01-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Loved Ali Holmes.

Was kinda disappointed with No Mas. Enjoyed the first 2/3rds. Hated the last 1/3rd.

CSL
01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
yeah, pretty much the same. The Real Rocky and One Night In Vegas are both good also. Best boxing documentary I've seen in a long time is The Good Son: The Ray Mancini Story. Well worth tracking down.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
You should also check out thrilla in manilla, fucking incredible.

Bad News Gertner
01-31-2014, 03:42 AM
Have seen the Mancini one. Very very good. I'm a gigantic boxing fan, especially the old time heavyweights.

Check out Joe Louis: America's Hero Betrayed. Amazing documentary. Proves what I've said for years: Ali is a piece of shit.

Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson is amazing as well.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Thrilla in Manilla also proves how big a piece of shit Ali is. I mean I don't think he is one hundred per cent a piece of shit, but he's done some shady ass things, and he really fucked over Joe Frazier. The Mancini is fantastic, fucking gutwrenching at points as well. He seems like possibly the nicest person that ever lived lol.

Bad News Gertner
01-31-2014, 06:04 PM
That was part of Ali's thing. He was a troll. With Joe Louis though, he was just cruel to him.

CSL
01-31-2014, 06:28 PM
will check out that Joe Louis doc, it's on Youtube. Know Ali said some "questionable" things when he was getting shit from all angles for his Elijah Muhammad ties and during Vietnam, always thought a lot of it was from being backed into a corner/persecuted during a hugely "flammable" period of history and the rest just him ribbing people "playing the bad guy"

Bad News Gertner
02-01-2014, 12:17 AM
He was downright mean to Joe Louis. Calling him an uncle Tom and mocking him despite Joe Louis being the reason why a black man even got to fight for the title again after all the Jack Johnson hate. There's getting under an opponents skin, there's standing up for a cause and then there's just being cruel to someone who opened so many doors for black athletes and was shit on by the government when he fell from the limelight, who never had a bad word to say about anybody.

Bad News Gertner
02-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Would LOVE a proper Sonny Liston documentary to be done. Fascinating life. Ving Rhames did a movie about Liston but it was terrible. A introspective into the life of Primo Carnera would be cool as well. He was mob run and sooooo many shady things went into his title reign. Probably the worst World Champ of the Golden Era of heavyweight boxing.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-01-2014, 11:44 AM
He was downright mean to Joe Louis. Calling him an uncle Tom and mocking him despite Joe Louis being the reason why a black man even got to fight for the title again after all the Jack Johnson hate. There's getting under an opponents skin, there's standing up for a cause and then there's just being cruel to someone who opened so many doors for black athletes and was shit on by the government when he fell from the limelight, who never had a bad word to say about anybody.

called Frasier and Uncle Tom and a Gorilla as well. Frasier came up from about as humble a beginning as anyone. Watch the documentary and you'll get the idea. Frasier HATED Muhammed Ali.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Legit took pride in giving him parkinsons.

CSL
02-01-2014, 12:09 PM
saw the doc, Ali was definitely out of line for saying the things he did about Louis. Would def put it more down to him being young and getting carried away with the racial divide tho and naively saying what he thought would make an impact, would be very surprised if he felt the same/was proud of his words in later life.

Bad News Gertner
02-01-2014, 04:24 PM
called Frasier and Uncle Tom and a Gorilla as well. Frasier came up from about as humble a beginning as anyone. Watch the documentary and you'll get the idea. Frasier HATED Muhammed Ali.

Yeah I've seen the Frazier one as well. I love boxing documentaries.