PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Classic: Breaking Bad

Frank Drebin
02-17-2014, 10:44 PM
I expect this to be a good one.

Breaking Bad has just recently finished. We've had some time to let things sink in. During those last 8 episodes, I was on the edge of my seat. Storytelling at its finest I thought. So many great lines. So many great moments. So many great characters - but does that make it "A Classic" ??

Now, there is one poster here who's entire debut persona was that of a Breaking Bad fan. I fully expect him to vote "yes" in this situation as everyone here thinks of Breaking Bad when they see his name. His name brings fear to the masses. He is the Death Machine........Curtis.

http://www.thecampuscompanion.com/party-lab/files/2012/09/breaking-bad-drinking-game-1024x640.png

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sCOslYu0E0o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rMlNl0fKwxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/23/618x927/comics-francesco-francvilla-breaking-bad-posters-1.jpg

Lock Jaw
02-17-2014, 10:46 PM
No.

Things need to be a certain age to be "classic". For now it is just a really popular and great show.

slik
02-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Yes.

It's a classic.

slik
02-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Things need to be a certain age to be "classic".

No they don't.

I could walk out of a great Chris Nolan film and know it was a "classic".

I could watch a great HBK match and know it was a "classic".

Bobholly138
02-18-2014, 02:14 AM
It's good. But not a classic.

Corporate CockSnogger
02-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Yeah. It's always gonna be labelled as/in the argument for the best tv show in the past decade, which is the strongest tv has ever been to date, so yeah it's a classic for me.

XL
02-18-2014, 03:24 AM
Absolutely. With a show like that you don't need to wait to have "classic" status be confirmed. Seminal television that will go down as an inspiration to other shows going forward like Twilight Zone, X Files, Sopranos, The Wire, LOST, Game of Thrones, etc.

No question.

Frank Drebin
02-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Where the f is Heisenberg on this? :nono:

weather vane
02-20-2014, 10:49 PM
100p

Bad News Gertner
02-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Yes definitely. Almost as good as The Sopranos.

OssMan
02-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Can some1 please explain why Walter White would keep his cell phone on vibrate in the ceiling of his classroom

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Age is an important part of classic definition. You're all deluding yourself if you think otherwise. Hipster mentality that everything now is better than was what before. Not saying this won't be looked at as a classic 20 years from now. It probably will be but it's not a classic yet.

itsmeJD
02-21-2014, 01:12 AM
Definitely a classic. I live in Albuquerque and may be a bit biased, but yeah....I voted yeah

Bobholly138
02-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Yes definitely. Almost as good as The Sopranos.

I find Breaking Bad to be much better than the Sopranos. The Sopranos had 3 great seasons. Then the rest,besides the last few episodes of the final season,were kind of meh.

I like Boardwalk Empire much more than the Sopranos. But I am a bit biased. Because I know that Steve Buscemi is God. And how can I not love a TV show with God as the lead?

CSL
02-21-2014, 09:43 AM
absolutely

Age is an important part of classic definition. You're all deluding yourself if you think otherwise. Hipster mentality that everything now is better than was what before. Not saying this won't be looked at as a classic 20 years from now. It probably will be but it's not a classic yet.

don't be such a slickdamo

Krimzon7
02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
This series 'is it a classic' is asking if these shows/movies will stand up against all of the other media and still be considered as great entertainment. OFF SUBJECT: This makes me wonder if this should be named 'Is this timeless'. Back on point, I actually think that this series is an instant classic. The characters and the writing are exquisite.

OssMan
02-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Can some1 please explain why Walter White would keep his cell phone on vibrate in the ceiling of his classroom

Lock Jaw
02-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Because the phone was causing problems at home, so he hid it in a place where no one should ever be looking.

road doggy dogg
02-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Arguably best television show ever, easy question.

Juan
02-28-2014, 01:25 AM
I'm only on season 4, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yes

Bad News Gertner
02-28-2014, 01:37 AM
I find Breaking Bad to be much better than the Sopranos. The Sopranos had 3 great seasons. Then the rest,besides the last few episodes of the final season,were kind of meh.

I like Boardwalk Empire much more than the Sopranos. But I am a bit biased. Because I know that Steve Buscemi is God. And how can I not love a TV show with God as the lead?

I respectfully disagree. Sopranos is my favourite show of all time.

Bobholly138
02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
I respectfully disagree. Sopranos is my favourite show of all time.

The reason I rate Boardwalk higher than Sopranos is so far Boardwalk has had 4 great seasons. Sopranos first 2 seasons were great,then 3 and 4 were majorly downhill. It picked up for the last season and had a great ending.

Bad News Gertner
02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
I loved season 4. The only one that I disliked was Season 6 Part 1. Richie Aprile made things hard to watch as well.

Heisenberg
02-28-2014, 10:16 AM
This show will hold a special place in my heart. I haven't been able to sit down and binge a T.V. show since it ended. I have given Breaking Bad that respect. It's not that I don't have anything to watch, I do. I have a lot of shows in the shoot to knock down. I'm sure another show will rise and be on par, I'll welcome that.

I'm glad a lot of people enjoyed the show as much as I did. I don't like to get into shows that everyone is watching, I'll make a few exceptions. One good example is The Walking Dead. I watched the first and second season and I figured I could put it on the backburner cause certain people on my Facebook feed wouldn't stop talking about it in annoying fashion and I told myself, hey guy, you should just wipe this show from your memory until it's ready for the binge.

I get real absorbed into shows like Breaking Bad, with relatable characters and a new plot. I'm a fan of Heroes and LOST. I binge watched those as I didn't have time for them when they were main eventing on TV. I'm also a fan of Vampire Diaries and hope more would get into that. Plenty of story arcs and shit on that show. True Blood is another one. I never thought I'd get into vampire shows, but those two are great. Game of Thrones is another favorite.

I think Breaking Bad has become an "instant" classic. I'm not sure what will come of Better Call Saul. I have high hopes that the people behind it all are well aware that they have big shoes to fill and will not disappoint. My current quest before I start on another show is to rewatch all the seasons front to back in hopes that my wife will sit down and stop calling the show rocks, it's a classic mineral. She'd rather watch those damn Housewives of (insert random town) and I have to hear that in the background.

Brigstocke
02-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Of course it fucking is...Its not up for discussion now and never will be.