PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda (Wii U) - Horsing Around

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 01:47 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/ish6nntkdak3pdvq7i3v.bmp

- Fully streamed open world.

Drakul
06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
That image and the footage were done with the ingame engine.

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Me and my bud knew that the instant it was up on screen. Kotaku had to ask.

I was just staring at the distance looking for landmarks. I believe Death Mountain can be seen in the right.

Drakul
06-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Seems a little small for Death Mountain if the scale of the game is as big as it sounds. Death Mountain is probably behind the "camera".

Drakul
06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
If you zoom into the image, you can see a large white city in the distance. There s green thing in the grass to the lower right of the rock closest to the front of the image.

OssMan
06-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Me and my bud knew that the instant it was up on screen. Kotaku had to ask.

I was just staring at the distance looking for landmarks. I believe Death Mountain can be seen in the right.
Ur so cool Kalyx

Drakul
06-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Just realized what Kalyx meant. The erupting volcano is probably Death Mountain. I was looking at the wrong thing.

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Absolutely.

Emperor Smeat
06-10-2014, 02:38 PM
A few more screens from Nintendo : http://www.e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/the-legend-of-zelda/

Drakul
06-10-2014, 03:03 PM
403 Forbidden

Emperor Smeat
06-10-2014, 03:09 PM
http://www.e3.nintendo.com/_ui/images/games/wiiu/the-legend-of-zelda/screenshot2.jpg

http://www.e3.nintendo.com/_ui/images/games/wiiu/the-legend-of-zelda/screenshot3.jpg

http://www.e3.nintendo.com/_ui/images/games/wiiu/the-legend-of-zelda/screenshot4.jpg

Drakul
06-10-2014, 04:05 PM
When we first saw Link, I thought it was a female Link. Just read I waen't the only one.

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm okay with the blue shirt. I instantly got over it.

Drakul
06-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Reminded me of WW links pyjamas.

Cool King
06-10-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm okay with the blue shirt. I instantly got over it.

When I first saw it, it reminded me of this attire.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140112063654/ssb/images/a/af/Link_Outset_Clothes.png

Cool King
06-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Though it's a pretty cool T-shirt.

I would probably buy it if it was a real T-shirt.

Cool King
06-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Reminded me of WW links pyjamas.

Great minds and all that jazz.

Fignuts
06-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Hasn't Zelda always technically been open world?

Drakul
06-10-2014, 04:36 PM
No. Areas have been locked until certain points in the story and areas have been enclosed. So a forest was basically a room with a couple of trees. This Zelda appears to be like GTA or RDR in that it's actually open world.

drave
06-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Hasn't Zelda always technically been open world?

No. Areas have been locked until certain points in the story and areas have been enclosed. So a forest was basically a room with a couple of trees. This Zelda appears to be like GTA or RDR in that it's actually open world.

GTA isn't truly open though either, but more "gated" until certain points. When I hear open world I think "mmo" type open world.

Drakul
06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
In recent years, GTA has been open for the start. It's more the content that's locked off for a set period.

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 05:13 PM
The very first zelda was the closest thing to a full streaming open world. Nintendo wants to recapture that, since 3D Zelda games just have very large maps connected by loading screens. This Zelda seems to bring open-world in the modern sense to Zelda, while also being a nod to the first Zelda's map style.

When they say open world they don't mean going to the last dungeon in the first five minutes. Areas may still be closed off as per narrative and difficulty scaling. They mean open world in the purely technical sense in that there will probably be NO loading or a bunch of connected big maps acting as a 'world'.

road doggy dogg
06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Ya I was gonna say, first LoZ was mad "open world" in that regard. Start fresh new game, kill some moblins to save mad rupees, buy bombs/candle, and you've just unlocked most of the hidden stuff in the game

Emperor Smeat
06-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Eiji Aonuma teasing everyone to not assume it was Link shown in the Nintendo Direct trailer.

“No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/zelda-creator-teases-that-we-didnt-see-link-in-wii-u-trailer/

Drakul
06-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Whoever it is, they're wearing Ganondorfs gauntlets from OoT.

Drakul
06-10-2014, 09:51 PM
They also have a ponytail. If it is Link, he looks more feminine than ever. Ponytail, petite figure, ear rings. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a twist that this Link has a twin sister and that's who we see here. The first objective being to save her.

I've always wanted a female Link but I can't see it happening.

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 09:59 PM
It's Link, perhaps a girl in this reincarnation, but it is gonna a 'Link'.

Drakul
06-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I'd be unreasonably excited for that but I bet a large chunk of the fanbase would hate it.

If it is a female Link, I'm glad she has very understated breasts. It would feel a little off if she was lugging around two swollen watermelons in her tunic.

dronepool
06-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Game looks great.

Kalyx triaD
06-10-2014, 10:32 PM
The fanbase hated Toon Link, now he's a fan favorite.

Me and my guys had a pow-wow about this girl and came to some interesting conclusions:

- This Link is probably a chick.

- Her ponytail and thin frame (even by Link's usual feminine look) makes it very likely that this version is a girl. Link is reincarnated through time and it should be reasonable that he be a girl for at least one adventure. And while I don't like the idea, I imagine the big push of female representation in games also factors. The Zelda series has a sizable female fanbase and this can snag more fans and press. This Link is very likely a chick.

- This is the first Link to be revealed with a bow rather than the Master Sword. This detail will be important in a later point.

- Link has gauntlets that Ganondorf was seen to wear in the past. While people think this makes for some kind of family connection, we think it's simply a connection of cultural fashion: This Link is a Gerudo girl, from the desert valley. Ganon was also revealed long ago to be Gerudo and it would likely explain her choice in arm wear.

- Going on with the Gerudo speculation, in past games archery was often tied with Gerudo Valley. Her weapon of choice being a bow also hints that she's Gerudo.

- The belt on her is hanging in a very gender specific way compared to how boy Link usually wears them. The 'hang tilt' style is almost exclusively done for female characters in games.

- Counter-arguments:
- - This is a male Link, looking the most feminine he's ever looked.
- - The Master Sword has a new design and is simply being kept under wraps.
- - Or it just wasn't modeled yet.
- - The Gerudo gauntlets are just coincidence, looking like Ganondorf's.

Drakul
06-11-2014, 04:48 AM
I thought Links were related rather than reincarnated. Like a heroic bloodline.

The Gerudo things fits together but I'm not sure. If the gauntlets were a connection to Ganondorf, it'd be rubbish if we had a Star Wars situation. "Impa never told you what happened to your father." etc

If you remember the Wind Waker intro, you'll know it said they waited for a boy in green to rescue them but he never showed up. What if a boy in green didn't show up but a girl in green did. This would mean she failed as the WW story states the goddesses flooded Hyrule to wash away evil, which had been successful.
We have a giant map now with lots high areas. The great sea before being the great sea?

If it's a female Link and if the only female Link fails, I can't see that going down well.

Drakul
06-11-2014, 04:51 AM
Actually, it does kind of remind me of Hyrule in WW, in terms of appearances.

Fignuts
06-11-2014, 05:01 AM
Maybe it's not Link at all. Maybe in this one you play as Zelda, and have to rescue Link.

Kalyx triaD
06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
That's dumb. Silly silly Figgy.

Fignuts
06-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Why?

Drakul
06-11-2014, 06:54 AM
My far fetched theory is the best far fetched theory.

Drakul
06-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Another possible hint/proof the new Link is female is in the Bayonetta 2 trailer. Bayonetta dresses as 3 Nintendo characters in the trailer.

Peach - Female
Samus - Female
Link - ...

drave
06-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Maybe it's not Link at all. Maybe in this one you play as Zelda, and have to rescue Link.

After the tweet, or whatever it was, I thought this same thing. It is definitely possible and not as far fetched as the reincarnation theories. Perhaps not rescuing Link, but still playing as Zelda or from her perspective.

Drakul
06-11-2014, 02:47 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Zelda Gets Up Off Her Ass.

Emperor Smeat
06-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Turns out Eiji Aonuma was only joking about Link not appearing in the trailer nor Link being a female in the game.

MMGN had a chance to chat with the man himself, who noted that, "actually, [I made that comment] jokingly. It's not that I said that it wasn't Link. It's not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way. But my intent in saying that was humor. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement."

He doesn't want people to focus on Link's appearance, because "ultimately Link represents the player in the game." So there you have it.
http://www.destructoid.com/link-will-be-male-after-all-in-the-upcoming-wii-u-zelda-game-276490.phtml

Kalyx triaD
06-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Right. Whether that was Link or not wasn't on some people's minds.

He's avoiding gender terms where they would make sense. Not a single 'he' anywhere.

Sepholio
06-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Can I make love to this game yet?

Drakul
06-13-2014, 05:47 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADv9KmOcETY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Many people from the media kept asking me if the footage from the new Zelda game for Wii U is just a promotional movie, but that really is actual gameplay on Wii U. Also, I wasn’t kidding about how you will be able to reach the mountains that appear in the distance if you should choose to!

Kalyx triaD
06-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Of all the fucking pompous ass CGI 'gameplay target' and cinematic trailers companies put out, people are being super critical and skeptical about the ONE company who almost never does that. I've never seen this kind of heat and doubt with other reveals. Whatever.

Drakul
06-14-2014, 07:51 AM
I think it's because so many people doubt Nintendo could do anything this impressive. Would it be silly to think there may be a few PS/Xbox fanboys that have fanned the flames of doubt? "Yeah, like Wii U could do a map that size! It's just a promotional movie." etc.

Drakul
06-15-2014, 01:52 PM
The hero in The Legend of Zelda Wii U is a male character, Nintendo has revealed.

Source (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a577750/the-legend-of-zelda-wii-u-producer-confirms-male-protagonist.html#~oHhhEWkJCHQF).

Damn :(

Could have tried something new here but they didn't.

Kalyx triaD
06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
They're still refusing to confirm the girl in the trailer being the male hero.

Lock Jaw
06-16-2014, 12:16 AM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/DBZQ0ffNnWc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/DBZQ0ffNnWc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Tom Guycott
06-16-2014, 12:19 AM
To be fair, Link has always been better represented by a "hot chick". Even Nintendo knew this from day one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MdSZjA4kWZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's for the NES original. All the US got was some doucebag running around a hallway yelling "ZELDA!" for 30 seconds.

Kalyx triaD
06-16-2014, 12:25 AM
I remember that TV spot. I thought it was cool.

Fignuts
06-16-2014, 01:18 AM
More US game commercials need synchronized dance videos.

Drakul
06-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Didn't the US have the Zelda rap? "Wow, look at those graphics!" *cut to zoomed in blurry shot of pixelated Link.*

Emperor Smeat
06-17-2014, 05:08 PM
According to Aonuma, this Zelda game won't feature lengthy type tutorials and hand holding that Skyward Sword had.

"When we created Skyward Sword, I really felt the need to make sure that everyone playing the game understood it," said Aonuma. "But I also understand now, in hindsight, that when you go out and buy a game, you buy the game because you want to play it, and you don't want to have any obstacles in the way. And I guess it was received as a bit of an obstacle.

"In a game, it's when you get stuck, when you want that help. And I kinda frontloaded all that in Skyward Sword, and it doesn't really help to get that information when you don't know what to do with it. So that was a real learning experience for me. So I'm going to be careful not to do that."

http://www.destructoid.com/next-legend-of-zelda-won-t-be-a-repeat-of-skyward-sword-s-lengthy-tutorials-276725.phtml

Emperor Smeat
06-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Eiji Aonuma hints at the possibility for a co-op feature to be included in the game with how its currently done in the upcoming Hyrule Warriors as a possible tease.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/wii-u-zelda-might-feature-some-form-of-co-op-series-producer-hints/

Kalyx triaD
06-23-2014, 08:37 PM
I doubt they mean how Hyrule Warriors plays, but at best seeing two characters on screen. Nintendo has very strange definitions for co-op sometimes, I really hope it's not one player with Link and then another being the fucking fairy.

Since I still believe the chick in the debut trailer is Link's sister or something, I think the possible siblings will be the playable characters. Maybe in drop in/drop out gameplay using one player's save rather than it being two different profiles.

Drakul
06-24-2014, 04:12 AM
I was thinking the fairy thing, like Mario Galaxy.

Kalyx triaD
12-06-2014, 07:38 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ypR03D1nISA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OssMan
12-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Hearing people react to upcoming features in a game really annoys me

OssMan
12-06-2014, 08:37 PM
All the fuckers cheering will probably be the same shitheads who will say the game sucks a six months after it launches because it didn't have the features they wanted.

Kalyx triaD
12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
It's the VGAs.

OssMan
12-06-2014, 09:07 PM
So

Kalyx triaD
12-06-2014, 09:08 PM
So the crowd are there for things like this.