PDA

View Full Version : FROM BEHIND THE KIT

thedarkness214
07-16-2014, 06:37 PM
God, I hate to read. I’ve always hated to read. I had a friend of over 40 years stop talking to me just last week because I failed to read the book he had written. I don’t know–-I just can’t sit in one place for a certain length of time. I’ve got to get up–-I’ve got to move. The only time when I do read is basically when I’m sitting on the throne–-and traveling on an airplane. Those are the two occasions when there IS no place else to go!

I was given Peter Criss‘, Makeup to Breakup, for Christmas 2012--that’s 19 months ago. I just finished it off last week in a hotel room somewhere in the south. Previously I had read both Gene and Ace’s autobiographies, so I had to get the Catman’s side of things even though as an avid KISS fan of over 37 years, I was never a Peter guy–probably due to the fact that he just always seemed to be in the background of the band. But, truthfully–-what else could you have expected? With two ego-mongers like Gene and Paul, hogging the spotlight, any more would have been a bit much. So, Peter stayed on his perch between the snare and the tom-tom, and more, or less, blended into the background amiss the carnival that was going on around him. Publicly, I guess you could compare Peter a bit to George Harrison of the Beatles. He just never said much, and as a fan even though you could assume why, the Catman makes it crystal clear in his autobiography—that’s the way Gene and Paul designed it, and wanted it. From the start they were going to be the focal points of the band, and as time went on, they basically pushed Peter and Ace into the darkness of their spotlight.

That’s what makes this clip from the Tom Snyder show, “Tomorrow” shot in 1979, so classic.

According to Peter’s words in Makeup to Breakup, this was the first time in KISS history, where both Peter and Ace knowingly stole the stage from the Demon and the Starchild, and as you can tell by their body language and facials--the two frontmen weren’t too amused by the performance of their cohorts–-who were buzzed courtesy of pre-show champagne. Bro–look at Peter closely in this clip—the Cat looks like he’s already chewed up 8 of his 9 lives–-I mean he’s out of it!!! But, that’s what the majority of Peter’s book centers around. Like Ace he tells the story of a band divided into two halves; the Paul/Gene side vs. the Peter/Ace side. Again, if you are a lifelong KISS fan, there is no story here. Paul and Gene were the straight-laced parents, and Ace and Peter were the dysfunctional, derelict children. That’s why after “ALIVE II”, it was pretty much over for the band, regardless of how much they tried to keep it as a secret to their fans. After a while, the oil and the vinegar are just going to go their separate ways–-and that’s when the finger-pointing begins.

I was eager to get Peter’s side, because you really couldn’t get much from Gene and Ace through their books. Gene, of course, spent every page putting himself over, and Space Ace was so out of it during those years, that you had to take everything he said with a grain of salt–-I mean, how could he remember ANYTHING that happened during those years in detail. He couldn’t, so you, the reader, had to try to determine what was fact, and what was fiction.

Through his words, right off the bat I had many things in common with the Cat. Born in New York, Italian decent, growing up Catholic–-just seems like a lot of us from the “neighborhood” went down the same path. Throughout his book, the one thing that gained my respect as I turned the pages, was Peter’s honesty. He no doubt put more heat on himself than anybody else. He !@#$% up, he let the fame and the money go to his head and he wasn’t the same guy. He made it clear that both Gene and Paul had every right to toss him from the band because through drugs, he became unmanageable. Peter also had the temperament which forced him to pick up his drum sticks and go home, when things didn’t go his way. So the self-criticism is there–he makes it clear that the only one he had to blame for his demise–-was himself.

Fortunately, in time, Peter would straighten out his life and be given a second chance during the KISS reunion tour which kicked off in 1996. Turning from an immature, recluse 20-something, to a more responsible adult, Peter was prepared to now appreciate his success on a much clearer level. However, he would soon find out, that the rules of the game had been changed. Upon his return to KISS–-the band which he was a part of originating–-Peter was nothing more than an employee working for Gene and Paul. The days of them being equal was over, and Peter was more, or less, treated like a studio musician. I’ve got to tell you–-I felt and believed Peter’s words here. Gene and Paul are both known control freaks, and when the opportunity came about to make mega-millions on a reunion tour with the original four members–-they made sure that they were going to do it one way–-THEIR WAY. The second-class treatment became so difficult for the Cat to handle, that he once again left the band in 2004–-the THIRD time he decided to depart–-but, this time it was for good. At that time, Gene and Paul were paying Peter a measly $10,000 per show. That’s almost embarrassing when it comes to rock star standards.

Man, Peter really doesn’t paint a pretty picture of Gene and Paul. He talks about the time he was in a horrific car accident in 1978, and he was only visited by Paul once (Gene not at all) in order for the Starchild to deliver a message to Peter via Gene, telling him how “moronic” he was. When he was diagnosed with breast cancer years later, he heard from no one–-not even his old pal Ace. In lighter moments of the book Peter discusses Genes lack of personal hygiene, and Paul’s longing to be the ultimate Rock God–all sides of the band that I had never read about before. Did you know that Gene didn’t shower after gigs? Come on, now!

Towards the tail end of his book, Peter really shins the light on his Christianity as being the one beacon that got him through this mess, and saved his life on many occasions. I can relate to that on a much different level. By the books end, not only was I believing Peter more than the others, but I was rooting for him. The Cat is a survivor, and even though if you read between the lines it is clear that he is still struggling with a certain amount of depression, the guy is still fighting through. I can relate to that too.

The one thing I took away from this book, is the same lesson that I had to learn the hard way–-MONEY MEANS NOTHING. If you don’t have happiness in your soul, all the greenbacks in the world aren’t going to put it there. For Peter Criss to walk away from MILLIONS during the hey-day of perhaps the biggest band in the world, that right there just tells you that there is more to life than fancy cars, expensive houses, and groupies on call. Makeup to Breakup will inspire you–-I know it did me. Now it’s time to read the last of the four, as Paul Stanley just released his autobiography. But, I’ll tell you this–-he ain’t gettin‘ $30-large outta me, so I have to wait for the paperback version.

drave
07-18-2014, 02:28 PM
KISS sucks dick.