PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mysterio

Marc the Smark
05-18-2004, 11:58 PM
What do you think about him? I know of some "smarks" who don't like him, and say his "flippity-flop" moves aren't as good as pure wrestling, but do you agree with that? Post your thoughts about Rey Mysterio.

spd10000
05-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Dude, are you frickin' serious? He's a textbook cruiserweight, and delivers his moveset very crisply. He's had some very exciting matches, and should be the Smackdown Champion.

Nark Order
05-19-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know anyone that doesn't enjoy watching him. Rey Rey is one of the best Cruiserweights of all time

James Steele
05-19-2004, 12:05 AM
LMAO...

Rey Mysterio is good, he is no where near as "great" as he was but that is a combo of WWE's "Watered-Down" cruiser action and injuries. Not his fault.

BUT:

He has the stupidest finishers. kick a guy in the face with your legs and legdrop over the top rope. I saw him in his prime and he is capable of much better, injuries or no injuries.

He needs to get out of the cruiserweight division and go for the U.S. title. How many Rey Mysterio v. Jamie Noble matches can we have?

PureHatred
05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Early Rey is much better than WWE Rey, but he's still extremely entertaining and capable of some 'Holy Sh</>it' moments. Definitely one of the highlight of Smackdown.

I definitely agree: he should be in the US Title hunt. And not only for Rey. He overshadows the other cruisers and it's hard to push another face as Cruiser Champ as long as he's around.

The CyNick
05-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Rey is awesome, he can work any style in any division. Over the past year Ive seen him have great matches for the CW title, for the tag titles, and for the WWE title. If he's anywhere near 100% he should be one of the main focal points for Smackdown.

mitch_h
05-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Not much to add as everything I wanted to say has already been said. But it is amazing when you think about how good he is now, yet he isn't considered as good as he once was.

Shadow
05-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Good god. Rey Mysterio is one of the greatest CWs of all time. Hell, he could hold the WWE title if they really wanted to be smart. But they're not so he's stuck in CW hell. Instead of Mid-card hell.

Edit...forgot about Ultimo. Stupid WWE.

James Steele
05-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Rey Is Still Great... not the greatest CW ever, IMO. *cough Ultimo Dragon cough*

He just needs to get out of the CW division... "pass the cruiser torch" if you will.

El Santo
05-19-2004, 02:12 AM
I don't know who these guys are who are dissing on Rey, but to me he's always seemed incredibly fluid in the ring. He's one of the few wrestlers I'd ever describe as graceful. And Rey also has that one element that sets him above the cruiserweight division: he has loads of charisma.

LK
05-19-2004, 07:37 AM
As far as I'm concerned Rey is the best cruiserweight in the WWE at the moment but he shouldn't be in the CW division and should definetly be in the U.S title picture.

By the way does Ultimo Dragon still work for the WWE?

Goldbird
05-19-2004, 08:10 AM
I think... so.

Doink
05-19-2004, 08:19 AM
By the way does Ultimo Dragon still work for the WWE?

i dunno, maybe he's 'slipped' (again) through wwe's fingers and gone else where!

i only watch SD for rey as think he is brilliant and well worth a shot at the us title! :y:

HankScorpio
05-19-2004, 08:20 AM
As far as I know he's been released and is now working in Japan

big_bluto
05-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Mysterio is wicked cool, and has talent in abundance.
How any man can have that amount of talent, agility and balance is beyond me.
He needs to be pushed for more than the CW title, especially as it is currently looking like a joke.

Azriel
05-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Mysterio is very cool. I could see him with the U.S. Title within a year

Joe Kerr
05-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Always liked Rey Especially back with "the Filthy Animals" He is indeed one of the best "Sport Entertainers" He entertains the crowd and thats what wrestling is all about How to get huge pops and keep people interested. This is something Rey is very good at.

Ferocious
05-19-2004, 11:35 AM
i dunno, maybe he's 'slipped' (again) through wwe's fingers and gone else where!

i only watch SD for rey as think he is brilliant and well worth a shot at the us title! :y:
*Wonders how many more people are going to take advantage of his Ultimo 'slipping' gag*

KillerWolf
05-19-2004, 11:41 AM
i personally dont like him. i dislike his gimmick, not his ring work. i dont care for that 'high-flying' style of wrestling either.

just 'cause i dont like it dont mean it aint no good. :-\

Marc the Smark
05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
But are the high flyers as good as the technical wrestlers?

spd10000
05-19-2004, 12:33 PM
hey wait a minute. Who's that jumpin' out the sky?

KillerWolf
05-19-2004, 12:45 PM
But are the high flyers as good as the technical wrestlers?
to me, no. to someone else, definitly. its Rey's gay-wad gimmick that i dont care for. he is a good worker. while i'm not partial to "high-flying, jumping bean syle of wrestling, rey pulls it off. it'd look better if they didnt have him wrestling guys like big show - and i'd like him more if he didnt come off as such a tool.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Rey is a great entertainer, and I enjoy watching him.... He could very well be the very personafication of "Sports Entertainment". Actual wrestling wise, you don't see a lot of technical moves when it comes to Rey Rey... He can sell technical moves, but I don't know about giving... While I love Cruiserweight matches, I prefer technical matches. It's probably because most of the stuff Rey does seems so unrealistic. Ultimo on the other hand usually looks legit.

John la Rock
05-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Rey is awesome, he can work any style in any division. Over the past year Ive seen him have great matches for the CW title, for the tag titles, and for the WWE title. If he's anywhere near 100% he should be one of the main focal points for Smackdown.

agreed :y:

Fox
05-19-2004, 06:05 PM
This thread poses another question: do you think the WWE will ever give Rey Mysterio a run with the WWE Championship?

The Lone Drinker
05-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Rey Mysterio Jr. looks like a child and needs to go back to the first grade.

Nowhere Man
05-19-2004, 07:43 PM
to me, no. to someone else, definitly. its Rey's gay-wad gimmick that i dont care for. he is a good worker. while i'm not partial to "high-flying, jumping bean syle of wrestling, rey pulls it off. it'd look better if they didnt have him wrestling guys like big show - and i'd like him more if he didnt come off as such a tool.

How exactly does he come of as a "tool?" He gets minimal mic time, and has no real gimmick to speak of, except "luchadore with a mask." His mannerisms in the ring are pretty much 100% babyface, and he's supposedly awesome to the fans in real life, so the whole argument of him coming off as a tool makes no sense whatsoever.

Rey Mysterio Jr. looks like a child and needs to go back to the first grade.

Get killed.

Corkscrewed
05-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Lone Drinker is trying really hard to be a skillful troll... and failing miserably.

I've never heard of a smark who didn't like Rey... actually, I've never really heard of ANYONE who dislikes him...

He could be WWE champ under certain conditions. Beating a guy like Eddie (or someone else who's a middleweight as opposed to a giant like Big Show) could work. It'd be like a cycle: Giants can squash cruisers, but the well rounded guys can beat the giants, but they might get beaten by a cruiser if they're not careful.

I think Rey could definitely spice up the US Title chase. I'll probably write an article about that sometime... but I could definitely see him as US champ. Beyond that? I doubt it.

It's a shame, though, that he's had to water down his repertoire due to both backstage nudging and his injuries.

KillerWolf
05-19-2004, 10:40 PM
How exactly does he come of as a "tool?" He gets minimal mic time, and has no real gimmick to speak of, except "luchadore with a mask." His mannerisms in the ring are pretty much 100% babyface, and he's supposedly awesome to the fans in real life, so the whole argument of him coming off as a tool makes no sense whatsoever.

Get killed.
ya know what, you stated it. he comes off as too babyface to me (i.e a tool). and he doesnt show much personality. as far as his ring work, i know what he does and he's probably the the best (at what he does). but its too much jumping around for me. it looks too contrived, especially when he is wrestling against a heavyweight. as far as cruiserweights go i prefer the likes of Tejiri or Jamie Noble. i prefer impact and wrestling over flips and stunts.
and ive seen rey on the mic and i would have to say theres a reason he gets minimal mic time.
anyway, i wasnt trying to say Rey Misterio wasnt any good. i thought that i made that clear in my posts.
i could've used a gentler term but to me a character that is an eternal babyface, with no charisma, no personality, usually comes off as a tool.