PDA

View Full Version : WrestlingObserver - WM31's big matches revealed

slik
10-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

We noted earlier this week that WWE officials felt they have the WrestleMania 31 main event locked in. WWE has reportedly been working on finalizing WrestleMania plans this week and those plans include two special stars, likely The Rock and Sting.

There is no word yet on who may face Sting but as noted earlier, it appears WWE is building to The Rock vs. Triple H. Triple H was Sting's second choice for a match if he couldn't have The Undertaker.

The belief is still that Brock Lesnar will defend the WWE World Heavyweight Title against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 31. Another match that has been discussed is John Cena vs. Rusev as well as Daniel Bryan vs. The Big Show.

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1008/582827/backstage-talk-on-wwe-finalizing-wrestlemania-31-main-event-plans/

Jura
10-09-2014, 02:49 PM
A better card would be:

Sting vs Undertaker
Brock vs Cesaro
Rusev vs Bryan
Reigns vs Big Show
Rock vs Triple H

I'm not feeling Reigns and if Cena is going to destroy Rusev then that's just shit and hasn't D. Bryan vs Big Show been done before?

VSG
10-09-2014, 02:59 PM
How's this, because apparently we all can book better than WWE:

Sting vs Undertaker
Brock vs Bryan (who wins the Royal Rumble)
Rusev vs Kurt Angle w/Hogan in his corner
Reigns vs Rollins vs Ambrose
Big Show vs Mark Henry
Rock vs Triple H vs Austin

slik
10-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Rock vs Triple H vs Austin would be a fun match (if Austin really is gearing towards one final match).

I could also see Ambrose vs HHH if they keep building Ambrose the way they have thus far.

I would rather Brock vs Bryan, Taker not wrestle if he isn't able to go 100% anymore, and Sting to do the same.

Damian Rey
10-09-2014, 03:46 PM
None of those matches sound fun to me. I just don't care about Reigns. Of the 3 Shield members, he's the least likeable and possibly least over. Ambrose abd Rollins are head and shoulders above him in just about every area.

I'd rather see Ambrose ascend to the main event.

Rock/H/Austin would be cool. Something we never got to see in its heyday.

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Reigns was probably the most over Shield member... Until a couple weeks into his singles push.

Every idea I have for who should face Lesnar is guys who are currently nowhere near getting that push and would be getting the most shocking Royal Rumble win ever. All the realistic options seem boring.

Shadrick
10-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Reigns was probably the most over Shield member... Until a couple weeks into his singles push.

Every idea I have for who should face Lesnar is guys who are currently nowhere near getting that push and would be getting the most shocking Royal Rumble win ever. All the realistic options seem boring.

Ryback? Cesaro? Fandango? Ryback? Skip Sheffield?

Emperor Smeat
10-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Would be a waste if Ambrose isn't in one of the big 3 main events considering how hot the crowd is for him right now.

Would be shocked if Cena didn't win at Mania but then again he's like the last person that would need the rub of being the possible first guy to beat Rusev.

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Ryback? Cesaro? Fandango? Ryback? Skip Sheffield?

... You named four of them...

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 04:24 PM
I'm generally against the lazy "guy with a silly gimmick has decided it's time to get super serious" idea. But if they let Fandango be the most ridiculous Royal Rumble winner ever and then come out the next night and tell the world, more as Johnny Curtis than Fandango, that he is gonna beat Lesnar's ass... And then they let him just be himself and show his natural charisma, confidence and likability in his serious but fun-loving Johnny Curtis way while building him up as the biggest underdog of all time for 2 months...

I would just... I don't even know, guys.

Damian Rey
10-09-2014, 04:52 PM
They could have a running gag of making fun of his gimmick until he gets pissed off and beats someone down, cuts a worked shoot about being given a dead end gimmick and treated like a joke, and proclaim his new, normal name and start printing money.

Shadrick
10-09-2014, 05:01 PM
... You named four of them...

woooosh.

Fox
10-09-2014, 05:41 PM
I can see another major backlash against Reigns like we saw against Batista if he's slated to face Lesnar in the main event at WM31. Fans will turn against Reigns and they'll be forced to do another last minute shuffle and fit someone like Ambrose or Daniel Bryan into the main event instead.

I heard a rumor about Triple H versus The Rock, too.

Damian Rey
10-09-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't get what they're seeing with Reigns that makes them believe he's going to be ready for the main event by Mania. I'm pulling for Ambrose.

Emperor Smeat
10-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Movie studios might end up pressuring The Rock and/or WWE to not have him wrestle at Mania next year. Him getting hurt last time which lead to Hercules' filming getting delayed by a few weeks would be the main reason why. That ended up costing Paramount Pictures around $2 million for the delay.

It appears that there is a very good chance now of The Rock working with WWE for WrestleMania 31 but one of the main problems will be pressure from movie studios. Rock suffered injuries in his first and second matches with John Cena, the second requiring surgery and holding up the filming of Hercules. We've seen The Rock pick up a number of new movies recently and studios that may want Rock for big projects in the spring or summer won't be happy if he wrestles at WrestleMania 31 due to the risk of injury.

Fignuts
10-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Out of all the opponents Brock could face, I think facing Bryan would be the best story.

After all the adversity Bryan has overcome, from the authority, to his injuries. For him to come back and have to face the greatest obstacle of his entire career in Brock Lesnar, that would be an epic wrestlemania moment.

I'm usually willing to respect other people's opinions , but if you disagree on this, fuck you you're wrong.

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Using Lesnar's remarkable run to try to build a new face of the company before John Cena dies would probably be a good idea. Just sayin'.

Fignuts
10-09-2014, 07:51 PM
It sure would.

If you find anybody, let me know.

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Will you tell Vince/HHH for me?

Fignuts
10-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Sure. Historically they're both very open to other people's ideas.

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Wait just a second... That seems like the opposite of what is true...

Fignuts
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Ha!

I've bamboozled you good sir! I don't even know Triple H or Vince!

Ha-HAAAA!

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Fuck, I fall for that every time.

Fignuts
10-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Right then. That was a terrible string of posts.

Close the thread.

Shadrick
10-09-2014, 11:25 PM
I enjoyed them.

Fox
10-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Out of all the opponents Brock could face, I think facing Bryan would be the best story.

After all the adversity Bryan has overcome, from the authority, to his injuries. For him to come back and have to face the greatest obstacle of his entire career in Brock Lesnar, that would be an epic wrestlemania moment.

I'm usually willing to respect other people's opinions , but if you disagree on this, fuck you you're wrong.

This seems like the obvious story for most people. Bryan loses the title without losing the title, and in his absence, an absolute monster of a man takes the top of the mountain and leaves all challengers in a beaten, destroyed, suplexed heap. It's the classic story of the prodigal son returning to claim his birthright. The outcast hero coming out of hiding to defeat the grown evil. The pesky underdog rising to defeat the empirical leviathan. The idea of Lesnar versus Bryan at WrestleMania in the main event gives me goosebumps. It's PERFECT. And not only is it a perfect story to tell, but it'd most likely be an awesome match, as well. Make it No Disqualifications so that Bryan has a fighting chance, give him some weapon spots and have him use his speed and agility to get a one-up on Lesnar. Possibly the ultimate WrestleMania moment.

But instead, it will probably be Reigns Superman-punching and Spearing his way into his first WWE Championship while Bryan fights on the undercard.

#1-norm-fan
10-09-2014, 11:48 PM
I've been clear about my thoughts on Bryan so I won't go into a long rant prefacing this idea. I think he's great but just not headliner material. That being said... Here's a match that I would find great on the WrestleMania card that I haven't heard mentioned yet...

How would everyone feel about Bryan vs Rusev?

Bryan makes his big return around Royal Rumble time, Rusev spoils the party by having Lana explain how America loves a puny underdog like Bryan because he's like looking at their own weak, pathetic reflection in the mirror. Ruseve crushes Bryan and sends him back on the shelf and we get a 2 month build to the match.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Better than him facing the Big Slow. American Dragon Vs. Bulgarian Brute.

Heisenberg
10-10-2014, 12:10 AM
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/man-pointing-gun-21426867.jpghttp://tpwwforums.com/customavatars/avatar14383_1.gif

YOU'RE UNDER ARREST, GET DOWN!!! HANDS IN THE AIR, BOOK HIM, GUYS

slik
10-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Alright, looks like we got ourselves a PUI (Posting Under the Influence).

Shadrick
10-10-2014, 01:05 AM
I've been clear about my thoughts on Bryan so I won't go into a long rant prefacing this idea. I think he's great but just not headliner material. That being said... Here's a match that I would find great on the WrestleMania card that I haven't heard mentioned yet...

How would everyone feel about Bryan vs Rusev?

Bryan makes his big return around Royal Rumble time, Rusev spoils the party by having Lana explain how America loves a puny underdog like Bryan because he's like looking at their own weak, pathetic reflection in the mirror. Ruseve crushes Bryan and sends him back on the shelf and we get a 2 month build to the match.

Honestly, I don't think I'd care. Unless the story/build was good. But it's probably because I'm not a fan of Rusev in general.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-10-2014, 01:25 AM
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/man-pointing-gun-21426867.jpghttp://tpwwforums.com/customavatars/avatar14383_1.gif

YOU'RE UNDER ARREST, GET DOWN!!! HANDS IN THE AIR, BOOK HIM, GUYS

Should have been Odo to arrest Quark. You have blown a great opportunity.

#1-norm-fan
10-10-2014, 03:52 AM
You're over-thinking it, STD. Heisenberg is arresting you for a string of offensive posts. Do as you're told, fucker.

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-10-2014, 04:20 AM
I'll apologize to the Bills in the NFL thread when they win 9 games (not combined in two seasons-one season.)

XL
10-10-2014, 07:32 AM
I'd go with Bryan challenging Lesnar. I'd also use Rock with somebody current rather than HHH getting the one-on-one match that he never got at Mania. He'll, even Rock vs. Rusev with the spark already having been ignited would interest me more. Sting vs. HHH assuming Taker is out. Do Cena vs. Reigns if you like, face vs. face.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar (w/ Paul Heyman) (c) vs. Daniel Bryan (RR Winner)

Icon vs. Authority
Sting vs. HHH

Face of the Company (on a pole :shifty:)
John Cena vs. Roman Reigns

Bring It to Lana's Putin
The Rock vs. Rusev (w/ Lana)

Money In The Bank Briefcase Ladder Match
Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins

Winner Takes All: Intercontinetal Champion vs. United States Champion
Loads of guys you could use here, let's say; Barrett (IC Champ) vs. Sheamus (US Champ)
Not a unification match as such, just an opportunity to make the belts worth something and put a shine on someone at the top of the midcard.

Divas Championship Match
Clusterfuck.

31 Man Tag Team Battle Royal for the WWE World Tag Team Championships
15 teams duke it out for the gold, add Big Show/Henry/Kane as a lone man, or have one team have 3 members.

Not sure what you do with Orton.

#1-norm-fan
10-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I'll apologize to the Bills in the NFL thread when they win 9 games (not combined in two seasons-one season.)

That was one. I said a string. You're on a particularly long streak of "STD posts".

#1-norm-fan
10-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Not sure what you do with Orton.

Turn him face and have him go against Wyatt.

Damian Rey
10-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Turn him face and put him against the Authority/HHH. Pit Wyatt against Sting. Ambrose against Lesnar, Bryan against Rollins, put the US and IC titles on Rusev and have him lose to whoever they push, and no clue for Cena.

XL
10-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Turn him face and have him go against Wyatt.

Done. Looks like we can put our feet up til April.

Corndad
10-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Push Cesaro again and put him against Bryan. Would love the Lesnar Bryan stuff but cant see them letting him Main Event another Mania w his Injury.

Sting should be against Taker and only Taker.If cant physically do it just have Sting do Hall of Fame.

Also dumb Imo to waste Rock on a HHH match. What would that gain ? End of Era stuff already done.

Damian Rey
10-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Sting Wyatt would be pretty interesting, imo. 2 out there characters with one making his dubbya dubbya e debut.

slik
10-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Yep, they are absolutely NOT considering HHH vs The Rock

Most definitely not considering that

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dVSpJjEs82U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-11-2014, 12:46 AM
They didn't even know Rock would be on before that night right? Seems a bit of a stretch to think one segment equals a WrestleMania match push. Could be. They both deserve it. They are the two biggest influences on each other's careers bar none.

Damian Rey
10-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Haha. That was actually incredibly entertaining.

JimmyMess
10-11-2014, 09:58 AM
that was super fun to watch.

JimmyMess
10-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Also read another rumor of both Sting and Hogan looking to have retirement matches at WM. I'm all for Sting, but Hogan just really can't go at all.

Damian Rey
10-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Hogan's been done for a while. If he can't bump or drop a leg there's no reason to run him out there, unless he's apart of an awesome old timers battle royal.

#1-norm-fan
10-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Seriously, his back has gone to shit, been fixed and gone to shit again. I can't see how he can physically wrestle even a Khali-style match.

JimmyMess
10-11-2014, 05:30 PM
He can't. They say "never say never" but I just can't see any scenario with Hogan that can benefit the fans, the WWE, his opponent, or himself, its a lose/lose/lose/lose situation.

Simple Fan
10-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Agree dont want to see a Hogan match at WM but Sting I dont care who he faces as long as it happens.

Fox
10-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Brock versus Reigns
Rock versus Triple H
Hogan versus Cena
Sting versus Orton
Bryan versus Wyatt

dronepool
10-12-2014, 01:00 AM
Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Bryan (Royal Rumble Winner)
Dean Ambrose vs Triple H & Seth Rollins (Handicap Last Man Standing)
John Cena vs. Roman Reigns
The Rock or Kurt Angle vs Rusev
Sting vs Bray Wyatt
Randy Orton vs Cesaro
Tag Match
Diva Match
IC Match
Battle Royale Opener

Damian Rey
10-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Brock v Ambrose
Bryan v Rollins
Sting v Wyatt
Rock v Triple H
Angle v Rusev

I have zero ideas for Orton. They've written him so poorly since last year's summer slam. Also, no clue what to do with Reigns.

Fox
10-12-2014, 11:04 PM
The card I posted above is where I could see them going if Hogan and Sting are considered healthy enough to work singles matches. My fantasy card would be more like this:

Brock Lesnar -V- Daniel Bryan - WWE World Heavyweight Championship
Sting -V- Undertaker
Roman Reigns -V- The Rock
Seth Rollins -V- Dean Ambrose - 3 Stages of Hell (Normal Match, No Holds Barred, Steel Cage)
John Cena & Hulk Hogan -V- Triple H & Randy Orton

XL
10-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Brock v Ambrose
Bryan v Rollins
Sting v Wyatt
Rock v Triple H
Angle v Rusev

I have zero ideas for Orton. They've written him so poorly since last year's summer slam. Also, no clue what to do with Reigns.

Finisher Match (first person to nail their finish wins)
Orton vs Bull Dempsy
RKOouttanowhere vs. Diving Head Butt

Rammsteinmad
10-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Personally I really don't wanna see Rock, Triple H, Austin, Undertaker or any of those guys again. I don't mind Kane coz he's still active, Sting would be a cool attraction match, and Lesnar because he's the unstoppable champ who's gonna give someone the rub of the century, but otherwise I wanna see the current roster truly shine. They have so many guys that can go in the ring and are over. I don't wanna see guys like Ziggler, Barrett and Cesaro relegated to battle royals or 20-man tag team matches year after year.

DAMN iNATOR
10-14-2014, 01:47 AM
He can't. They say "never say never" but I just can't see any scenario with Hogan that can benefit the fans, the WWE, his opponent, or himself, its a lose/lose/lose/lose situation.

Hogan v. Flair in the first-ever Last Man Living match with special guest referee Death.

FourFifty
10-14-2014, 02:38 AM
31 Man Tag Team Battle Royal for the WWE World Tag Team Championships
15 teams duke it out for the gold, add Big Show/Henry/Kane as a lone man, or have one team have 3 members.

This is why we NEED 3MB!