PDA

View Full Version : wrestling in the 80's

Marc the Smark
05-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes, I know some of you are too young to remember the 80's, but those of you that do are being asked for your input. Who did you like/not like in the WWF(E) between 1980 and 1990? Remember The Iron Sheik? Nikolai Volkoff? Blackjack Mulligan? Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat? Roddy Piper? Let's talk!

HeartBreakMan2k
05-20-2004, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't really consider the 80's old school. :meh:

Anyway though, Dynamite and Ricky :love:

Oh and Magnum TA :love:!

Marc the Smark
05-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Oh and Magnum TA :love:!

Ahh yes, Terry Allen. He had potential big star power, but sadly one night it was all taken away. Very unfortunate. Still, remember that great "I Quit Match" in the steel cage with Tully Blanchard (Starrcade '85).

Marc the Smark
05-21-2004, 12:07 AM
A new addition to "WrestleCrap" -

http://www.wrestlefest.net/linkhead.jpg

HeartBreakMan2k
05-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Also, Jake The Snake was the man.

Loose Cannon
05-21-2004, 12:22 AM
I think I watch more 80's WWF PPV's more then I watch all the new stuff these days. I just loved the Tag Division back then. I loved that all the belts really meant something and people held them for a while. Warrior was my favorite when I was a kid as was the Hart Foundation AND Demolition. I didn't like him back then, but Piper is the man when I watch him today on some of the old school tapes I have.

Marc the Smark
05-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Also, Jake The Snake was the man.

Not a good body, not a good wrestler, but still had that "IT factor." In his prime, he had great mic skills, was over with the fans (as face and heel), and was involved in some captivating storylines. Remember his feud with Savage, when Damien took a chunk of of the Macho Man's arm? (I think that was 90s).
It's too bad today Jake's a psychotic crackhead, but he was good at one time.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I still remember him going out and DDTing Hogan, and the fans started chanting DDT rather than booing. :cool: (Fairly sure it was Hogan, but it may have been someone else.)

Marc the Smark
05-21-2004, 12:26 AM
I think I watch more 80's WWF PPV's more then I watch all the new stuff these days. I just loved the Tag Division back then. I loved that all the belts really meant something and people held them for a while. Warrior was my favorite when I was a kid as was the Hart Foundation AND Demolition. I didn't like him back then, but Piper is the man when I watch him today on some of the old school tapes I have.

Same here with the tapes buddy :y: Hart Foundation, Demolition, Strike Force, the Killer Bees... there were so many back then. Remember the Can-Am Connection? Good times.

Loose Cannon
05-21-2004, 12:27 AM
^^Yeah, that's when Vince said he couldn't have him be a heel anymore.

Loose Cannon
05-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I still remember him going out and DDTing Hogan, and the fans started chanting DDT rather than booing. :cool: (Fairly sure it was Hogan, but it may have been someone else.)

Yeah, that's when Vince said he couldn't have him be a heel anymore.

Marc the Smark
05-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Yeah, that's when Vince said he couldn't have him be a heel anymore.

Sh</>it. I never knew that. I guess it's safe to say there was heat with Roberts and Hogan. Hell, there was heat with Hogan and everybody.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Jake just had that intangible something that made him great. That and his in ring psychology. Raven reminds me so much of him for some reason. I love both.

Thanks for confirming it was Hogan. :y:

HeartBreakMan2k
05-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Sh</>it. I never knew that. I guess it's safe to say there was heat with Roberts and Hogan. Hell, there was heat with Hogan and everybody.

Yeah, Vince told him to go out and DDT Hogan, saying it would put him over as a heel. Jake insisted the fans would cheer but did it anyway... Jake was right.

Loose Cannon
05-21-2004, 12:33 AM
The early Wrestlemania's are so much more fun to watch then the newer ones. Jesse ventura's Commentating is hillarious.

Marc the Smark
05-21-2004, 12:35 AM
The early Wrestlemania's are so much more fun to watch then the newer ones. Jesse ventura's Commentating is hillarious.

Yep, and let's not forget Gorilla (RIP)

HeartBreakMan2k
05-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Ventura was great as a commentator. Everything he said either had some subtle double meaning, or was just hilarious because the way he talked.

The early wrestlemania's were probably more fun because now we've seen everything. It's kind of like horror movies, back when they first came out they could scare you because it was new, now everything being done is some form of a remake. Same goes with wrestling, except for in a few rare instances.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Yep, and let's not forget Gorilla (RIP)

Gorilla was so passionate about the business... that's honestly what made him great. You could tell he was there because he loved it, not because it was a job.

Loose Cannon
05-21-2004, 12:44 AM
You rememebr the Orndorff turn on Hogan? That was some classic sh**.

Marc the Smark
05-21-2004, 08:14 AM
You rememebr the Orndorff turn on Hogan? That was some classic sh**.

A little wrasslin' trivia for everybody - Paul Orndoff suffers from bipolar disorder (seriously). Anyway, yes, he was surely one of the greatest. Remember the steel cage match on Saturday Night's Main Event? Orndorff and Hogan and their simultaneous exit? Great stuff. It's too bad Orndorff was never the Heavyweight Champ. He could have definitely done it. Whatever happened to this guy?

KillerWolf
05-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Not a good body, not a good wrestler, but still had that "IT factor." In his prime, he had great mic skills, was over with the fans (as face and heel), and was involved in some captivating storylines. Remember his feud with Savage, when Damien took a chunk of of the Macho Man's arm? (I think that was 90s).
It's too bad today Jake's a psychotic crackhead, but he was good at one time.
that was my favorite feud of all time.

Nark Order
05-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Ravishing Rick Rude was the best ever. Not too sure that he was around in the 80's but just thought I'd get that out there...

Marc the Smark
05-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Ravishing Rick Rude was the best ever. Not too sure that he was around in the 80's but just thought I'd get that out there...

Well, he wrestled in the Hogan era, which probably explains why he was never the world champion. Still, I'm sure you remember his feud with Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

For those who don't know, Rude used to take a young lady from the crowd, and plant a kiss on her prior to each match. One night, Jake's wife was sitting in the front row, and Rick selected her for the 'thrill of her life'. As per the script, she was of course greatly offended. She explained that she couldn't kiss him because her husband wouldn't like that. When Rick asked her who her husband was, she proudly said, "Jake 'the Snake' Roberts." Of course he was unimpressed, and kissed her anyways. She slapped him, and Rude pushed her to the floor. This began the feud. Rude carried Roberts for month, giving us a number of outstanding matches. A truly classic wrestling feud to be remembered for years to come.

Wildcat789
05-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Steamboat. I'm a huge steamboat fan. I wasn't even old enough to watch wrestling in the 80s, and my computer is filled with wrestling from '80 to about '88. Steamboat was definately my favorite, especially his matches with Flair. Classic stuff..

Marc the Smark
05-22-2004, 05:04 PM
http://www.stinger1987.homestead.com/files/RickySteamboat.jpg

Edge
05-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Andre "The Giant", Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, Ric Rude, Ric Flair, Big Boss Man, "The Million $ Man", Dustey Roads, Randy Savage, and so on and so on e.t.c. All great wrestlers.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah this really isn't oldschool.

Kane Knight
05-22-2004, 05:55 PM
What are you talking about? All the oldschool legends are here...Triple H, Steve Austin, the Rock...

Marc the Smark
05-23-2004, 01:27 PM

then what do you consider old school?

Shaggy
05-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I like to watch more of the old school stuff then the new stuff now. I always watch ton of Piper videos. He is definently one of my favs.

da_king
05-23-2004, 03:03 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
good idea with an old school thread. anyways i always kind of prefered the nwa to the wwf durring the 80's since they were more wrestling oriented and the wwf was more cartoonish. since you metioned wwf though my favorites were macho man (as a heel), piper, the us express (windham and rotundo), hart foundation, british bulldogs, oh and king kong bundy and big john stud. even as a mark, i liked the heels and anyone who fueded with hogan or andre the giant went in my good books.

</font>

Marc the Smark
05-23-2004, 04:14 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
good idea with an old school thread. anyways i always kind of prefered the nwa to the wwf durring the 80's since they were more wrestling oriented and the wwf was more cartoonish.

[/img]http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/flairgirl/images/flair76.jpg[img]

Marc the Smark
05-23-2004, 04:16 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
good idea with an old school thread. anyways i always kind of prefered the nwa to the wwf durring the 80's since they were more wrestling oriented and the wwf was more cartoonish.</font>

"Diamonds are forever, and so are the Four Horsemen." Whooooo! :shifty:

spd10000
05-23-2004, 04:19 PM
http://obsessedwithwrestling.com/pic/h/hillbillyjim/04.jpg
"HillBilly Jim and Uncle Elmer, Wrestling's Country Boys"

Marc the Smark
05-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten (From PlowboyFrazier.com)

This is living proof that hard work and dedication will get you remembered, even if you aren't necessarily the best at what you do.

Stan Frazier was one of the largest men to ever step into a professional wrestling ring. At 6’10”, and well over 400 pounds, he was truly an awesome sight. He was, naturally, bigger and slower than almost every other competitor out there, and yet he still had so very much to offer, which his contemporaries could not. PlowboyFrazier.com is tribute to the career of one VERY unusual sports figure -- a man who’s heart and appetite for life more than matched his girth.

The whole reason for this is to bring respect to a guy who really added a lot to the wrestling business. He was no Lou Thesz or Ric Flair, but the sport wasn't built up entirely by their types alone. He performed with diligence and sincerity -- that counts for something in this world. And, despite what most of his harshest (and might I add misinformed) critics have said about him, Frazier definitely could WRESTLE. He might have not fit the mold, but he definitely belonged in the business.

To the disenfranchised, as well as the legions of fans, stemming back to the very early 1960s, he was a true hero. Under the guise of Uncle Elmer in the World Wrestling Federation, he became one of the most famous wrestlers in the world, and was truly living out the American Dream, in his typically unorthodox way. Frazier was also a gentle soul, who had friends wherever he walked.

Now, I won’t candy coat things here – I know his matches were not always pristine displays of athleticism, and he competed much longer than his body wished him to. Some of his matches, especially in the last few years of his career, were very, very bad. Physically, there was very little left to offer at the end. But from the standpoint of entertainment, he never ceased to deliver. So many wrestlers continue to be popular, even though they are well beyond their prime. Hulk Hogan, Terry Funk, Jimmy Valiant, Bob Armstrong, Ric Flair and countless others remain popular draws in the business because they are true showmen. Stan Frazier was in that same category.

I'm currently in the process of overhauling the old girl. I'll update occasionally with the new information I can dig up, so it's always changing. You'll see all sorts of things, including programs and newspaper clippings, and the very first wrestling recipe page on the internet for your enjoyment. I'm trying very hard to bring you a comprehensive overview of Frazier's career, silly stuff and all. Please check back soon for all the things you can't find elsewhere on the internet.

I have been working on this site faithfully since 1998. It is truly a labor of love. The most gratifying thing to me is hearing from old fans, who are happy to see their old hero and friend paid tribute to. Through the help of countless fans, this site has grown substantially, and will continue to for many years to come.

I hope you enjoy.

-- Kurt Nielsen

loopydate
05-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Bah! All you whippersnappers are too young to remember Frank Gotch and George Hackenschmidt, but lemme tell you about the time I went down to the old Polo Grounds to watch Lou Thesz fight the Mad Russian (who was called the Mad German at the time 'cause there was a war on, y'see)...

I was so excited for this match, I went down to the bank and took out my life savings so I could buy my way into Thesz' wrestling school. I got $6.75 ('course we called dollars and cents "paper numbers and discs") out of the bank, and down I went. That gave me enough left over to buy my tights and boots.

Before you know it, I was...*falls asleep*

Loose Cannon
05-23-2004, 07:34 PM
lmao loopy

Nowhere Man
05-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Freddie Blassie > Any human being who has ever walked the Earth.

The Ravishing One
05-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Ravishing Rick Rude was the best ever.

:love:

MVP
05-23-2004, 08:19 PM
No one mentioned Captain Lou Albano, c'mon.

Marc the Smark
05-24-2004, 11:58 AM
No one mentioned Captain Lou Albano, c'mon.

http://fctvplus.net/~credo42/spdwwe/pics/albano.jpg

For the nearly forty years that Capt. Lou Albano was involved in professional wrestling, be it as a wrestler or manager, he created controversy, excitement, and in many cases, genuine hatred from the audiences he performed for. For a man who, by his own admission, was not a tremendous wrestler Albano certainly made a huge impact in the "sport" and was, for many years, one of the most well-known cross over celebrities that wrestling had to offer. His vaudevillian style approach to cutting interviews, combined with his over-the-top personality and ring persona made Albano one of the most hated managers of all time. Later in his career, Albano transformed that intense hatred into babyface popularity, and became one of the most beloved figures in wrestling. In either case, the rowdy Captain made the fans care about him, which, in the wrestling business, is all that really matters.(Pro Wrestling Online Museum)

The CyNick
05-24-2004, 12:55 PM
I was going to make the same joke as Loopy, so kudos.

I find old WWE PPVs hard to watch from a match quality standpoint. You can really tell how horrible most of the workers were back then, at least compared to the top guys today.

But the one thing that makes old wrestling fun is the angles. Because they didn't have as much TV time to fill, the angles were usually really well done and memorable. And also a lot of the time, seeds for angles were planted months and months in advance. Anyone who has all the PPvs from Mania IV to V should watch the interaction between Savage, Hogan and Elizabeth, it was clear they had a year-long plan, and when they finally pulled the trigger it was really good.

samichna
05-24-2004, 12:56 PM
THE GENIUS

Marc the Smark
05-24-2004, 01:07 PM
THE GENIUS

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pic/l/lannypoffo/02.jpg
90's, not 80's

Kamchadal.
05-26-2004, 08:06 PM
I always liked Davey Boy Smith (Bulldog), Randy Garvin, "Iron" Mike Sharpe, Terry Taylor (Red Rooster), JYD.

Marc the Smark
05-26-2004, 08:13 PM
I always liked Davey Boy Smith (Bulldog), Randy Garvin, "Iron" Mike Sharpe, Terry Taylor (Red Rooster), JYD.

Yeah, "Iron" Mike Sharpe. I almost forgot about him. You think he still has Tendonitis? :shifty:

05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pic/l/lannypoffo/02.jpg
90's, not 80's

Ironically enough, I was watching the 89 Survivor Series the other day and I think that's a clip from the same show. If I'm right, that would make it the 80's. :p

Marc the Smark
07-09-2004, 11:50 PM
I had to bring this back... because those were the days! What else was good about wrestling in the 1980's?

sensai86
07-10-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm so disapointed all this time and no one mention Akeem "The Afican Dream" with The Slickter.The tag-team divsion in the 80's was so hot.Great promos were cut on the part of ;The Utimate Wariior,Rick Rude,Jake "The Snake" Roberts and of course Hulk Hogan and many more.Let's not forget the commentry of "The Brain",Jesse Ventura,Gorilla Monsoon.The 80's F**KING RULE!

Lara Emily
07-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Greg The Hammer Valentine rules you all.

Lara Emily
07-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Plus the 80s featured Jim Cornette in his prime. In fact he was the subject of my event of the week #2 post. *cheap plug* Go and see it it's classic.

http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16422

:D

Excellance of Execution
07-10-2004, 12:57 AM
FYI, i think your referring to "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin. As for my favorites of the eighties, it would have to be Ultimate Warrior and Hogan, and for Tag Teams it would have had to have been the U.S. Express (rotundo and windham) and Demolition. I'll never forget when the U.S. Express would come to the ring to "Born in the U.S.A. and the angle they had with Beefcake and Valentine, where they put a cigar in Windham's eye. I seemed so real at the time.

KingofOldSchool
07-10-2004, 01:01 AM
The Mulkey Brothers.

Mulk-A-Mania brothas!

:shifty:

KingofOldSchool
07-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Let's not also forget about Tully Blanchard being the man in the mid 80's.

The One
07-10-2004, 01:19 AM
http://www.theglorydays.net/images/open/Four_Horsemen_on_Black_w_red_border_JPG.jpg

That is all...

parkmania
07-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Bruno Sammartino doing commentary for "Superstars" alongside Vince McMahon and (aw crap... was it Gorilla?).

The Flower Shop with Adrian Adonnais.

Lanny Poffo entering the "Come as you are" Battle Royale wearing a suit of armor.

Koko B. Ware and Frankie

These are some of the things that noone else has mentioned.

Marc the Smark
07-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Bruno Sammartino doing commentary for "Superstars" alongside Vince McMahon and (aw crap... was it Gorilla?).

Nope, it was Vince and Bruno, and that was classic stuff! I used to love waking up early on Saturday mornings (when I was a kid) and would turn on the tv and see Vince and Bruno. It's a damn shame those two haven't worked out their differences, and I wish wrestling were still on on Saturday mornings.

HankScorpio
07-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Greg The Hammer Valentine rules you all.

:y: great stuff

Heavy Metal Van Hammer :shifty:

DaveWadding
07-10-2004, 01:41 PM
The Amewican Dweem DUSTY WHODES

Lara Emily
07-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Let's not forgt the great teams. Blanchard and Anderson, The Midnight Express and the Rock n Roll Express.

Innovator
07-10-2004, 01:49 PM
British Bulldogs :y:

also no one has mentioned the Sgt. Slaughter/Pat Patterson Street Fight yet

Marc the Smark
07-12-2004, 02:17 AM
We forgot about Rusty Brooks

Loose Cannon
07-12-2004, 05:05 PM
I just watched Mania 4 the other day. Man, that PPV kicked so much ass. I loved how the tag titles meant so much and they put the match right before the final tournament match. Demolition were so fk'n bad ass. The crowd was into most matches and you just felt like they appreciated it more back then, then they do now. HTM got some great heet in his IC Title defense against Beefcake. Savage/Dibiase and Hogan/Andre was awesome too.

Mayo
07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Don't forget the Killer Bees :shifty:

I never saw too much from the 80's, but I loved Andre, Hogan, and Savage.

Thriller
07-12-2004, 05:51 PM
ah yes the 80s.when tag wrestling was entertaining.i was always a fan of tag matches so aturally i liked the hart foundation,british bulldogs,strike force,demolition and the brain busters