PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back old PPVs

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 02:44 PM
I think they should axe one of the current PPVs and revive an old one.

Seeing as WWE have the WCW trademarks and the recent revival in interest in WCW re: Sting, NWO, the WWE Network stuff etc. I say bring back Starrcade. An event steeped in tradition.

I would say ditch the MITB PPV and HIAC PPV, why name a PPV after the one match on the card? Integrate the matches into an event etc. MITB could take place at a brand new Starrcade.

I mean let's be honest Fast Lane is a crap name, Extreme Rules and HIAC and MITB all sound crap.

We need PPVs that are memorable. Back in the day Backlash was always memorable as were events like Judgement Day and Unforgiven and even Fully Loaded.

PPVs were events worth getting excited about. Now they just seem like they're there to pass the time.

whiteyford
04-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I would say ditch the MITB PPV and HIAC PPV, why name a PPV after the one match on the card? Integrate the matches into an event etc.

Like the Royal Rumble?

whiteyford
04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Agree imposing gimmick matches on feuds for the sake of the event name is dumb though, the old IYH method worked best IMO.

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Like the Royal Rumble?

The Royal Rumble match was created for that event/PPV much how King of the Ring, WW3 and War Games were.

The issue I have is that MITB, HIAC, TLC matches etc were all legitimate matches in their own right and so to create a PPV based on those was stupid. And in any case the memorable matches concerning those gimmicks mostly took place outside of the respective events.

It would be nice from a nostalgia point of view to bring back old PPVs and also to restore credibility to the monthly events because atm it seems that everything else is a filler until we get to WM, Summer Slam, RR, NoCs and Survivor Series.

Shisen Kopf
04-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Instead of King of the Ring, make it King of Her Thing with intergender tits matches and live sex shows. With audience masturbation allowed for the first 10 rows. How does that sound Footy Jazz?

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Instead of King of the Ring, make it King of Her Thing with intergender tits matches and live sex shows. With audience masturbation allowed for the first 10 rows. How does that sound Footy Jazz?

Sounds good but I think everyone in attendance should be allowed to masturbate and the VIP tickets should be given the choice of any Diva to give them a handjob including Stephanie McMahon. Triple H has stated many times he is ok with allowing his wife to engage in sexual activities with members of the WWE Universe.

I want to see a topless muscular oiled up Tamina take on a puny, scrawny Daniel Bryan and win.

Wrestlemania
04-09-2015, 04:10 PM
If any ppv's should be brought back it's the IN YOUR HOUSE brand that I feel would benefit from the pg era.

The Condor
04-09-2015, 04:13 PM
My favorite feature of the In Your House series was the subtitles... it was a phrase that sold the PPV, and each one got a different flavor. Better than the same twelve each year. Variety is the spice of life.

Anybody Thrilla
04-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Triple H has stated many times he is ok with allowing his wife to engage in sexual activities with members of the WWE Universe.

Can you show me just one of these times, please?

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 04:19 PM

Google it it's common knowledge.

Better yet ask him on Twitter.

Anybody Thrilla
04-09-2015, 04:29 PM
I am OK with letting my wife engage in sexual activities with members of the WWE Universe.

:eek:

Simple Fan
04-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Starrcade could replace TLC as the last PPV of the year to give it a big feel and keep its traditional spot. Halloween Havok could replace Hell in a Cell. I'm OK with MITB as a ppv since it pretty much is the new King of the Ring. Hope WWE Fastlane gets a new name, why not bring back Slamboree to be the show going into Wrestelmania. Extreme Rules could become Barely Legal to pay homage to ECW.

drave
04-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Starrcade could replace TLC as the last PPV of the year to give it a big feel and keep its traditional spot. Halloween Havok could replace Hell in a Cell. I'm OK with MITB as a ppv since it pretty much is the new King of the Ring. Hope WWE Fastlane gets a new name, why not bring back Slamboree to be the show going into Wrestelmania. Extreme Rules could become Barely Legal to pay homage to ECW.

Vince would never allow any of that.

Rammsteinmad
04-09-2015, 04:43 PM
To be honest, the last few Rumbles have all been fucking awful. I don't think I'd be all too bothered if they ditched it.

They won't though.

But fuck bringing back old WCW PPV's. Get the fuck over it.

Rammsteinmad
04-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Or should that be...

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST!!!

#1-norm-fan
04-09-2015, 05:00 PM

He said it in his Stone Cold podcast on WWE Network a couple months ago. The exact quote was "I don't know why the WWE Universe is so upset with what happened at the Royal Rumble. I allow any fan who has a copy of a current negative test for AIDS and other STDs to have sex with my wife at any time, any place with no appointment necessary. But they're gonna hate me because of Daniel Bryan's booking? Fucking homos."

It was on live but I think they've since edited it out because GLAAD got upset about the homo remark.

Anybody Thrilla
04-09-2015, 05:12 PM
I am The Game. I am the King of Kings. I am the Cerebral Assassin. You can fuck my wife if you'd like.

:eek::eek:

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Boobies!

Shisen Kopf
04-09-2015, 06:00 PM
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do to my wife.

Can't forget this famous quote by The Game.

#1-norm-fan
04-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Take my wife. Please.

#1-norm-fan
04-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Hey, WWE Universe. Your hero is a B+ player. But you can be a D cup player.

Dukelorange
04-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Cyber Sunday

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Can't forget this famous quote by The Game.

"My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America can do for you but what together we can do to my wife".

The second half of that famous quote.

Shisen Kopf
04-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Triple H truly is the game

Shisen Kopf
04-09-2015, 08:26 PM
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who fucked my wife.
right in front of me.

A patriot too.

Fignuts
04-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Get rid of TLC and HIAC. Those matches should be surprises that are used to end feuds, not annual events.

Bring back King of the Fucking Ring

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 09:00 PM
OK here's the PPVs I would keep and ditch:

Royal Rumble - KEEP

Fast Lane - DITCH - replace with No Way Out

Wrestle Mania - KEEP DUH

Extreme Rules - DITCH - replace with Backlash

Payback - DITCH - replace with Slamboree

Money In the Bank - DITCH - replace with King of the Ring

Battleground - DITCH - replace with The Great American Bash (as July has July 4th etc)

Summer Slam - KEEP

Night of Champions - KEEP

Hell in a Cell - DITCH - replace with Judgement Day or World War 3 (for a shot at the title at Starrcade)

Survivor Series - KEEP

TLC - DITCH - replace with Starrcade

Jazzy Foot
04-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Every PPV should be viewed as a big event with the exception of WM which is the biggest of the lot.

What I mean is whenever fans make the trip to a PPV or a PPV comes to their town it should be seen as a big deal and something to look forward to and atm some of the current PPVs just seem utterly shit.

Bringing back PPVs with history and legacies like Starrcade and Great American Bash would be fantastic imagine the angle they could do with Rusev at the Great American Bash?

A World War 3 gimmick match would be interesting to see again and the RR and MITB matches should not be the only opportunity to get title shots.

KOTR is much missed many fans will agree.

Having Starrcade and a PPV with a big deal to end the year is good.

Shisen Kopf
04-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Bring back Wargames.

Jordan
04-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Royal Rumble
Elimination Chamber
Wrestlemania
Money in the Bank
Bad Blood
King of the Ring
The Great American Bash
Summerslam
Night of Champions
Halloween Havoc
Starrcade
TLC

I think you can see the story I've set out there.

Rumble starts the year, Elimination Chamber further develops the main stories at Wrestlemania allowing surprises to take place. Wrestlemania is the Super Bowl. Money in the Bank is a refresher PPV to get out of the typing Extreme Rules/Backlash post WM lag. Bad Blood wraps up the first quarter big angles. King of the Ring is a novelty PPV allowing a main story to develop through The Great American Bash and culminating at Summerslam. Night of Champions is a novelty that begins new stories that are then escalated in dramatic fashion at Halloween Havoc and then blown off at Starrcade in November replacing Survivor Series. Survivor Series died in 97, I wish it didn't but it did. TLC is a gimmick show because December is always a tough sell.

Mr. Nerfect
04-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Here is my ideal PPV calendar:

Royal Rumble
No Way Out
WrestleMania
Backlash
Payback
King of the Ring
Battleground
SummerSlam
Unforgiven
No Mercy
Survivor Series
Starrcade

* The Royal Rumble is staying. Enough said. BUT, I am not opposed to the winner not necessarily getting a WrestleMania title shot. I imagine that Roman Reigns may not have gotten the heat he got this year for winning it if it didn't lock him into a role he wasn't ready for. It might be hard to talk people into letting go of that tradition though.

* It doesn't really matter what you call the February PPV. Fast Lane didn't really endear itself to people last year, but I think it had a good aesthetic feel, if nothing else. It could very easily be "redeemed." That being said, this is one of your "In Your House," so you might as well call it Chinese New Year's Revolution. No Way Out at least carries some history with it. I wouldn't bring back the Elimination Chamber, however, as it locks you into doing a Chamber match. If you decide to bring the Chamber back, you can add it as a tagline. So you'd have No Way Out: Return to the Chamber or something like that.

* The only way WrestleMania ever changes is if Vince can trademark the term "Mania" and decides to continue on the legacy with WWE Mania 33, WWE Mania 34, etc.

* Backlash is back. I'm not sure if there is a reason the company changed the name of this event. Maybe they felt it wasn't PG enough? When you think about it, most of the PPVs do have quite innocuous names now. Although Backlash carries some history, you could move Payback into this slot, or call this one "Vengeance." The name isn't too important, as this is technically one of your In Your House shows. The idea would be to follow up WrestleMania with something solid, but by now just doing a whole bunch of rematches. This would be a pretty good place to do the Money in the Bank match. I was going to include that as a standalone PPV, but if you are only going to have one Ladder Match, why can't MITB itself be flexible and find a home on Backlash? People can watch Mania, then see the Backlash PPV advertised, with it promising the aftermath of WrestleMania, the Money in the Bank Ladder Match, and more. It's a bit of a hook.

* I've included Payback for no particular reason other than there's no reason to scrap everything. Both Payback shows so far have had some pretty great matches and big moments on them. Why not give it a chance to build? Having this be a smark city PPV could always make it a fun show.

* King of the Ring was scrapped because tournaments apparently don't draw because you can't advertise the matches. I don't know if I really buy this, because in addition to the tournament, you can feature title matches. Even if you just have the semi-finals and finals at the King of the Ring, you still have at least four matches you can build in addition to that. A World Title match, Tag Title match, Divas Title match and a personal feud for the IC or US Title would be a pretty big deal. Yes, Money in the Bank has pretty much taken the place of KOR, but you can create a bit of dichotomy between the MITB Winner and KOR. Imagine if Rollins won the MITB title shot and Ambrose won the King of the Ring? Two rising stars with two very different feels to them.

* Battleground has stuck around for the same reason as Payback -- why change it? The name seems bland, but you can always try and do more with it. How about a Battleground Battle Royal, where the winner gets an IC Title shot later in the night? The winner of the Battle Royal can get a big moment, but then come up short in the IC Title match -- I mean, they did already compete in a huge match -- and that can set up a SummerSlam rematch between the two. I'm not opposed to bringing The Great American Bash back either, but I don't think it really matters. The WWE did have "The Bash," and they kind of meh'd it. Also, American patriotism in wrestling is something that may not work in a global promotion anymore.

* SummerSlam is SummerSlam, but I would try to make it even bigger. Start numbering the SummerSlam events. We're up to 28 this year, so let people know it. This is where you can do another big Axxess fanfare show. Hell, see if you can get the show up to four hours too.

* I've gotten rid of Night of Champions, because while the concept is pretty neat, in a traditional sense, it seems the company forces champions and challengers into programs for this show, and it often feels very meek and disjointed. Coming off SummerSlam, there could be some major programs on the go -- hence "Unforgiven." Plus, shouldn't titles be defended at most major PPVs? The idea of there being a night where titles are focused on seems kind of redundant.

* No Mercy comes back. One of the best wrestling video games of all-time took on the name. There's some great history there, it had its own recurring theme song for a while. Plus, with it being breast cancer awareness month, the WWE can use phrases like "Let's show cancer No Mercy." You can't really say you're going to get cancer inside the Hell in the Cell as effectively. The HIAC PPV idea also forces the gimmick match out there when it doesn't need to be, and given that the relationship with the Susan G. Komen people is likely to continue, every HIAC match going forward is likely to feature a pink rope going through it. Think about that.

* Survivor Series is a classic. A lot of people think the show has lost its luster, but there have been some good ones in the modern era. I like the idea of having a traditional elimination match and the other matches just being dictated by storylines. Just give it a sleek look and put some effort into delivering for it.

* Starrcade coming back is something I've wanted to see since 2012, except that year, given that people were up in arms about the end of the world and stuff, I thought Armageddon would have been a good fit. But 2013 and onwards I would have been running Starrcade. It wouldn't be a retro show; it wouldn't specifically feature WCW guys or anything like that. Vince won the rights to the show when he bought WCW, and now it's making a comeback under the WWE umbrella -- not as a shell of what it was, but as a tried and true wrestling show. It bumps off TLC, because like Hell in a Cell and Extreme Rules, I find that they are just forcing guys into these gimmick matches the story doesn't dictate.