PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys enjoy JBL's commentary?

GD
05-14-2015, 10:18 PM
There was a time when I enjoyed his commentary on Smackdown. He did a great job at building up new stars (at the time) such as MVP and Mr. Kennedy. As of late, I find him distracting and annoying. I am not sure if that is the general consensus.

#1-norm-fan
05-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Eh. I don't mind him. He doesn't seem to take shit too seriously/be into it much... but I find it hard to take shit too seriously/be into it much either so he's not distracting me from much. At least he brings charisma and personality to the announce team.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-14-2015, 11:57 PM
Booker is the problem. Not JBL or MACKLE!

Wishbone
05-14-2015, 11:58 PM
He's better than pretty much everyone else on the main roster announce team. I'd prefer to see Cole and Saxton get the axe before him. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if he quit tomorrow.

Wishbone
05-14-2015, 11:59 PM

Oh shit I actually forgot Booker was on commentary... Shows how much I pay attention lol. Yeah, add Booker to my list of people that are worse than JBL. :lol:

The Condor
05-15-2015, 12:59 AM
He's ok, can grate occasionally, but whatever. I'd be more inclined that blame Vince for the terrible commentary that goes on due to his propensity to feed them lines, talking points, and direction through the course of the broadcasts.

Shadrick
05-15-2015, 01:49 AM
Mackle.

DaveWadding
05-15-2015, 01:51 AM
MAGGLE

Mercenary
05-15-2015, 07:41 AM

Don't be racist

#1-norm-fan
05-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Many times I can't understand what the fuck Booker T is saying.

... I find it kinda entertaining though.

Ruien
05-15-2015, 08:31 AM
JBL is funny.

Nowhere Man
05-15-2015, 08:47 AM
The only reason I voted "he should quit" is because you didn't put an option for "he should die."

Mr. Nerfect
05-15-2015, 09:38 AM
I used to love JBL's commentary, but now it's a parody of itself. It's probably directions from the back though. He and Cole could be an amazing lead commentary team together. Booker T isn't one of my favorites, but I find he tries to real things in occasionally. I appreciate that. I'd rather see Booker T used for special appearances though.

Mr. Nerfect
05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Commentary will never be good as long as the directive is for it to be "entertaining bickering."

Evil Vito
05-15-2015, 09:44 AM
<font color=goldenrod>JBL and Cole from 06-07 were amazing together on SmackDown. The face/heel dynamic was still there and they bickered on certain characters but JBL didn't go out of his way to call Cole an idiot on every single point he made.

I'm with Noid in that the commentary can't succeed if they're openly told to argue in every segment. Their bickering felt way more organic on SmackDown. If WWE allowed them to be like what they were back then it might actually be listenable. As it stands now though the whole commentary team needs to be blown up because the current direction has made me hate all of them.</font>

Mr. Nerfect
05-15-2015, 09:46 AM
I still think they should use Jim Ross for PPVs. It'd help them feel more "special" and help them stand out. You could put JR with basically anyone. JR and JBL would actually be a really good fit if JBL had his ace boots on. But JR & King could be refreshing if King only had to work one show a month.

Evil Vito
05-15-2015, 09:57 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I remember becoming completely burned out on the JR/King team to the point that I actually marked out when JR got drafted to SmackDown in 2008. In retrospect, it's awkward to realize it was basically a man getting legitimately demoted on live TV.

But yes, I'd kill to have that team back now. Even if in small doses. Sometimes you don't realize what you had until it's gone.</font>

Evil Vito
05-15-2015, 09:59 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Also with Raw having been a 3 man booth...you know what was a seriously underrated announce team IMO? Styles/King/Coach.

It only lasted a few months before JR came back to a more regular role and Styles went to the newly reformed ECW brand but I really liked them together on Raw.</font>

Ultra Mantis
05-15-2015, 01:18 PM
JBL's role on commentary is seemingly to just bury 99% of the roster with angry Vince-fed lines, so no, I don't enjoy him.

Emperor Smeat
05-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Mixed. Gets annoying at times when it sounds like he's just parroting whatever Vince hates or goes overboard with stuff but he's been decent at other times as well.

Hasn't been anywhere as good consistently as he was during his first stint on commentary though.

Savio
05-15-2015, 01:57 PM
JBLs commentary would be a lot better if vince wasn't in his ear.

Jazzy Foot
05-15-2015, 02:11 PM
He's too much of a puppet for McMahon re: Commentary about Sting at WM31 left a bitter aftertaste.

Also I get the impression he tries TOO HARD to be a heel commentator that he just isn't funny. Michael Cole as a heel was funny because he was just, well, irritating and annoying etc.

Booker T isn't much better to be honest.

In all fairness nothing will compare to JR and King, or even when Heyman was a commentator.

road doggy dogg
05-15-2015, 02:12 PM
^ yes that is my exact beef with JBL. He's a bit too on-the-nose with the whole "heel commentator" thing. There's no nuance or subtlety to his act.

Shisen Kopf
05-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Don't be racist

Maybe he thinks today is post like owenbrown day? That's in 2 weeks FYI.

Savio
05-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Heyman and JR were the best commentary team.

Mr. Nerfect
05-15-2015, 06:14 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I remember becoming completely burned out on the JR/King team to the point that I actually marked out when JR got drafted to SmackDown in 2008. In retrospect, it's awkward to realize it was basically a man getting legitimately demoted on live TV.

But yes, I'd kill to have that team back now. Even if in small doses. Sometimes you don't realize what you had until it's gone.</font>

I was never a mark for the JR/King team either, to be honest, but age has made me appreciate them more. I'm of the opinion now that King must choose to be a shitty color guy due to directives from the boss. He just knows too much about professional wrestling.

I don't remember the Styles/King/Coach team much, to be honest. I only remember being upset they wouldn't let Styles run with the ball, ha. You know who I would like to see Joey Styles return to commentary with? Christian. I don't know why, but I feel that would be awesome. I'm not trying to knock Byron Saxton, Tom Phillips or anyone like that (I believe they just do what they are told too), but I'd like to see an announcer with some "weight" come back to SmackDown or something. Or maybe just give my dream team a random shot down in NXT.

Mercenary
05-16-2015, 07:07 AM
Brock didn't flip that table over hard enough.....

GD
05-16-2015, 07:11 AM

Michael Cole's reaction was pure gold.

Simple Fan
05-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Just needs to be more JBL and less Cole and Booker

owenbrown
05-16-2015, 05:39 PM
The only reason I voted "he should quit" is because you didn't put an option for "he should die."

[Michael Cole] VINTAGE NOWHERE MAN! [/Michael Cole]

GD
05-16-2015, 08:14 PM

Michael Cole's reaction was pure gold.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5w7g7" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fignuts
05-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Pretty much what other people have said about him trying too hard. The best heel commentators make the faces look good even as they'r ragging on them. Heenan is a perfect example. JBL just buries people. Terrible.