PDA

View Full Version : The official Bret Hart WARRRRR thread

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Honestly, every thread I post in turns into arguments about Bret Hart... surprised nobody has ever called me out on this, but it's the truth.

So I say we keep it here. Anyone wants to love or hate Bret, they do it here. He is incredibly polarizing and worth his own thread, for his matches with Owen and Davey alone! WOOOOOOO BRET HART AND dWo4lyfe!

Shisen Kopf
09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Hell yeah, Bret Hart is one of the greatest of all time. Anyone who doesn't like Bret Hart is a retard.

Shisen Kopf
09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
They may also be afflicted with GNA

Maluco
09-06-2015, 09:14 PM
People criticize him for taking it all to seriously, but that helped me as a fan get more invested in his matches. More tension and emotion involved in his stories. There was something old school about him and the way he protected the business and I loved that. Noone around anymore with the all round game of him and HBK in that respect.

Shisen Kopf
09-06-2015, 09:19 PM
HBK was a drugged out faggot. Bret Hart was a classy and jam up guy. Who the hell are you to doubt Bret Hart?

Simple Fan
09-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Brets glasses were cool, enough said.

Bad News Gertner
09-06-2015, 10:18 PM
He's like Canada's #58th greatest wrestler behind Iron Mike Sharpe.

KIRA
09-07-2015, 12:11 AM
I am enjoying the fuck outta Bret tearing Hogan apart recently.

Ive always hated Hogan. Back to the Bret Hart love/hate.

NormanSmiley
09-07-2015, 12:44 AM
I am enjoying the fuck outta Bret tearing Hogan apart recently.

Ive always hated Hogan. Back to the Bret Hart love/hate.

DaveWadding
09-07-2015, 01:08 AM
Bret Hart is in my top 3 all time.

Disturbed316
09-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Best there is....best there was....and the best there ever will be.

Bad News Gertner
09-07-2015, 08:21 AM
He's a nice little opening match guy

DAMN iNATOR
09-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Hey, so has anybody ever noticed that every thread Newstead posts in here turns into arguments about Bret Hart?

Someone really oughtta call him out on that. :shifty:

Anybody Thrilla
09-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Bret Hart is the best ever.

You know what match was REALLY good that doesn't really get shouted out too much? That match vs. Austin at Survivor Series 96. Of course WM 13 was a classic, but this match was just amazing.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2015, 11:01 AM
that 96 match was awesome. You could argue "technically" better than WM 13, given it was a "SCIENTIFIC" wrestling match (lol nobody ever uses scientific to describe technical wrestling anymore). I think the reason it gets over looked compared to WM 13 is just how crazily dramatic the WM 13 match is, and just how psychologically it is a fucking masterpiece.

Also I just watched that most recent Bret Hart interview... omfg typical AWESOME Bret. They ask him "What's the best finishing move of all time?"... his answer, without missing a beat and without a sense of irony, "Sharpshooter" hahahahaha WARRRR BRET HART AND THE DWO4LYFE

Damian Rey
09-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Think that was his return match after his post Mania hiatus. It was indeed a great match.

Mercenary
09-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Best there is....best there was....and the best there ever will be.

In his own conceded mind. It was great he got fucked over. WWE was way better without this guy with no charisma at all bringing the WWE down.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2015, 02:44 PM
In his own conceded mind. It was great he got fucked over. WWE was way better without this guy with no charisma at all bringing the WWE down.

This is really a great addition to this thread. Gertner gives you the taskmaster stamp of approval

RaginRonic
09-07-2015, 03:21 PM
If Hogan hasn't behaved and acted so much like a child the last 31 years, since becoming WWF World Champion in 1984, then Bret wouldn't be giving him so much heat.

From where I stand, the more heat on Hogan from Bret, the better...roast Hogan's ass over a grill and watch him cook.

Fuck what Hogan and his sympathizers think.

=P

KIRA
09-07-2015, 04:48 PM
I will say this I really wanted to see Bret face Taker more.

MoFo
09-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Everyone claims to like him but while he was in WWE he sunk them to their lowest depth then jumped ship and tanked that one too.

Pretty impressive going, turning both #1 companies into #2

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Everyone claims to like him but while he was in WWE he sunk them to their lowest depth then jumped ship and tanked that one too.

Maybe having wrestlers such as duke the dumpster drose and the goon may have had something to do.with that. Not like Shawn or Diesel made anything better. Also, Bret hadmucj to do with the 97 boom. So nah, ur a noob. Get out of my thread.

Bad News Gertner
09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Bret good. He'd be a great addition to the crusierweight division.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Bret good. He'd be a great addition to the crusierweight division.

Light heavyweight

Theo Dious
09-07-2015, 09:44 PM
I will say this I really wanted to see Bret face Taker more.

It seems like they didn't really mesh well together. Their matches at the Rumble and Summerslam really weren't that great.

Theo Dious
09-07-2015, 09:59 PM
My take on Bret has always been that, as good as he is, he was never as good as he believed he was, and he has never been able to even consider that he might be wrong about anything. He really annoyed me on several points on the Shawn vs Bret DVD; Shawn was clearly there to do his penance and basically prostrated himself and admitted that he did a lot of horrible shit while Bret mostly cupped his own balls and drank it in. Specifically saying that he thought that what he said about Shawn was just about a wrestling character... but of course what SHAWN said were all personal attacks that crossed the line. And then he bitches that Shawn wanted to work with the other guys in the Kliq after winning the title... well fuck Bret WHO was it that spent a good bit of his first title run working with Owen and Davey Boy? The guy who worked with his family as champion wanted to cry about Shawn working with some friends? And I've said this one plenty of times, the man constantly goes on about what a great role model he thinks he was to kids, yet here's a guy who went after both Shawn and Bret backstage when he got pissed. Is he going to stand in front of a group of kids and say "remember, when someone does something you don't like, just attack them."

Again, he was an amazing worker with more talent than half a dozen guys of his time. He never should have been fucked over in favor of Hogan, he should have gotten a much better push as champion, and he would have done much better if he'd had a better crop of challengers. And it can't be denied that Austin's run at the top would have been a different picture without the superhuman job Bret did putting him over. He just has a shitty attitude and a seriously overinflated opinion of himself.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Bret is a big old grump and definitely has a bit of an attitude problem, on top of being a mark for himself. People tend to let that get in the way of the last part of what you said. I do think in A LOT of ways Bret is a role model, work ethic wise and I think in his own way he tried to be respectful to other guys and actually put them over without burying other guys trying to make a living... HOWEVER this does not change the fact that he's a bit of a pain in the ass.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-07-2015, 10:16 PM
It seems like they didn't really mesh well together. Their matches at the Rumble and Summerslam really weren't that great.

I watched Summerslam recently, it was a pretty good match... just not much heat til the end for whatever reason. Part of it, is you have a guy like Bret who's very authentic, very "real", vs. the undertaker who is the undertaker. Taker struggles to work great matches with the likes of Brock as well as we've seen him struggle a bit with Austin. Very "real" smash mouth style workers. He did well with Shawn because Shawn literally can just bump around for anyone for hours, (and that can get in the way of Shawn having good matches (see: Mr. Perfect) and he seemed to work well with Angle for whatever reason, but that's probably because Angle is just a fucking freak of nature.

I think Austin also mentioned something along the lines is they both are all about their comebacks (Austin and Taker) and having lots of fire, so it doesn't necessarily blend well.

KIRA
09-07-2015, 10:19 PM
My take on Bret has always been that, as good as he is, he was never as good as he believed he was, and he has never been able to even consider that he might be wrong about anything. He really annoyed me on several points on the Shawn vs Bret DVD; Shawn was clearly there to do his penance and basically prostrated himself and admitted that he did a lot of horrible shit while Bret mostly cupped his own balls and drank it in. Specifically saying that he thought that what he said about Shawn was just about a wrestling character... but of course what SHAWN said were all personal attacks that crossed the line. And then he bitches that Shawn wanted to work with the other guys in the Kliq after winning the title... well fuck Bret WHO was it that spent a good bit of his first title run working with Owen and Davey Boy? The guy who worked with his family as champion wanted to cry about Shawn working with some friends? And I've said this one plenty of times, the man constantly goes on about what a great role model he thinks he was to kids, yet here's a guy who went after both Shawn and Bret backstage when he got pissed. Is he going to stand in front of a group of kids and say "remember, when someone does something you don't like, just attack them."

Again, he was an amazing worker with more talent than half a dozen guys of his time. He never should have been fucked over in favor of Hogan, he should have gotten a much better push as champion, and he would have done much better if he'd had a better crop of challengers. And it can't be denied that Austin's run at the top would have been a different picture without the superhuman job Bret did putting him over. He just has a shitty attitude and a seriously overinflated opinion of himself.

About that Bret/Shawn DVD It seems like HBK was just uneasy about the man he was Bret was throwing out some heavy accusations and rather than Say I did or "wtf are you talking about BRET I didn't do that" he claimed he didn't remember or he would sidestep and say things like "maybe thats why my son is so weird" I felt kinda bad for him seeming so uncomfortable about his past but I also wished he had been more straight forward and faced Bret down.

The MAC
09-08-2015, 02:02 AM
Bret Hart speaks his mind, and he has more insight than any of us. when hogan and bischoff first went to tna he told us that they only knew how to make themselves and will not have a positive effect.

Bret has been right with a lot of the things he has said...especially about hogan. Shawn michaels didnt face brets accusations because he knew bret was right.

SNLfunnyguy
09-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Bret = best ever.

Blonde Moment
09-08-2015, 10:13 AM
If Montral happened when Bret was a face this wouldn't even be an issue.
I guarantee you if Hogan didn't want to drop the belt in Montreal it wouldn't have happened in Montreal and it wouldn't have been an issue.

The only person Hogan ever put over was Hogan anything else was coincidental.

Blonde Moment
09-08-2015, 10:16 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hm6tlFWuyTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody Thrilla
09-08-2015, 10:41 AM

This is an incredibly stupid post.

Bret Hart's involvement with Steve Austin and DX are basically what launched the Attitude Era. He was the perfect "foil". He was the perfect transition piece to make sure that things still made sense as they progressed from family friendly to what it became. Even if you were to say that Vince McMahon was the top heel of the Attitude Era, that all started with Bret too.

Shawn Michaels fanboys like to blow things way out of proportion when it comes to Bret Hart, and it's simply not fair.

I love Shawn Michaels, btw. But Bret was DAT DUDE.

The MAC
09-08-2015, 11:20 AM
OWEN HART DVD WILL BE THE SHITS

Martha has really made sure that the dvd is not worthy of Owen by handcuffing the WWE. Bret is pissed!

hb2k
09-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Bret Hart The Miserable Bastard is one of my favourite things about the world of wrestling these days. He just truly doesn't give a fuck what anybody thinks. He doesn't even waste the time to cushion the blow his opinion might cause. Here it is. If you don't like it, fuck you.

As a talent, Diesel sank it to depths lower than Bret did, and JBL did too as a draw. But taking emotion and the fact that as a wrestler I truly believe Bret is one of the best I've ever seen out of it, he couldn't be called a great draw by any stretch. You can point to the circumstances around him, and that's an argument worth having, but Steve Austin had some pretty tough circumstances himself, getting his big push when the company was at its lowest point in the Monday Night War, and he was able to turn things around.

As a work, Bret as a babyface is incredible. He's subtle, he's not over the top, and in many respects if you wrote down his characteristics on paper, it shouldn't work. But he's so brilliant, his psychology is so flawless, that he was able to tear the house down have people pissing their pants for near falls off Russian leg sweeps and vertical suplexes at various points. His work with Austin is a textbook of making a star, and all the whilem he didn't devalue himself in the process, which is quite a testament.

That said, I believe Shawn Michaels is the best ever, but Bret's right up there for me.

loopydate
09-08-2015, 12:17 PM
My take on Bret has always been that, as good as he is, he was never as good as he believed he was, and he has never been able to even consider that he might be wrong about anything.

I've never been able to articulate this properly, but this is basically exactly how I feel about Bret.

Bad News Gertner
09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Bret is basically a taller Jamie Noble

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-08-2015, 12:47 PM
People's main argument against Bret is he's a big mean stupid head. There is also an underlying theme of you either like Bret and Shawn when in reality the 2 are neck in neck and were nothing without trying to outshine the other.

Bad News Gertner
09-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Shawn is better than Bret. Not by much, but he is.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Bret is basically a taller Jamie Noble

Jamie Noble is like a slightly shorter Paul Orndorff

Bad News Gertner
09-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Heath Slater is a modern day Mr. Wonderful.

loopydate
09-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Shawn is better than Bret. Not by much, but he is.

The MAC
09-08-2015, 03:03 PM
shawn michaels is entertaining to watch but not as believable as bret hart.

Depends whether you want sports entertainment or you want pro wrestling

Bad News Gertner
09-08-2015, 03:59 PM
It's the same fucking thing

Sixx
09-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Pro wrestling is that gay shit they have at the Olympics.

This here is a real men's sport.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Shawn and Bret depends on taste. Shawn was the better bumper but Brets turnbuckles were better than shawns twirly turnbuckles.. Shawn could fly but Brets back breaker and leg sweep look more devestating than almost any move Shawn did minus scm. Shawn was quicker but Bret I would venture to say had the better conditioning at least during their 90s run. Shawn had better matches with taker, Bret had better matches with perfect, they both had great matches with Nash. Their punches are also a toss up.

Shawns renaissance in the 2000s makes it a little unfair, because it gave him a much more vast body of work that cannot be denied and makes his case stronger. In saying that, I'm #teamhitman

Bad News Gertner
09-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Shawn had an amazing match with himself at Wrestlemania 12

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-08-2015, 05:39 PM
don't know what you're talking about cheesedick

loopydate
09-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Shawns renaissance in the 2000s makes it a little unfair, because it gave him a much more vast body of work that cannot be denied and makes his case stronger. In saying that, I'm #teamhitman

I'm sorry, how is it unfair that because he had a longer and better career, he's considered to have a better career?

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry, how is it unfair that because he had a longer and better career, he's considered to have a better career?

I was being hyperbolic and complementary of how good Shawn was in that time, and lamenting the fact beets career got cut short. Sue me.

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-09-2015, 01:21 PM
But I personally prefer brets best over shawns best.

loopydate
09-09-2015, 01:45 PM
That makes sense.

The MAC
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM
shawn michaels was only over in the states and with you fags.
Bret Hart was a WORLDWIDE draw.

Bad News Gertner
09-09-2015, 07:00 PM
David Hasslehoff is huge in Germany

KIRA
09-09-2015, 08:51 PM
David Hasslehoff is huge in Germany....Still?

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-09-2015, 10:06 PM
shawn michaels was only over in the states and with you fags.
Bret Hart was a WORLDWIDE draw.

They were both over in the states and I feel world wide, obviously with the world vs US angle Bret won over the world crowd. Neither could REALLY draw during the 90s though until '97, because the rest of the product was so horrendous.

Blue Demon
09-11-2015, 09:26 PM
WOOOOOOOOO!

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1931278_45394538686_6388_n.jpg?oh=c85637000e8f14fa1b18d74fd4e5d9a1&oe=566A02D1

Mr. Nerfect
09-11-2015, 11:37 PM
That picture of Bret Hart looks like every picture of Bret Hart I've ever seen. I don't know what I mean by that, exactly, but I think I mean something.

Mr. Nerfect
09-11-2015, 11:44 PM
I've only ever been able to look at Bret Hart through historical eyes. I've never really had the emotional investment in the debate on just where he fell in professional wrestling's rankings. Everyone else summed it up pretty well. I'm eager to go watch that Survivor Series '96 match.

With Hart leaving the WWE in 1997, it should have been a death knell for Vince, shouldn't it? The two hottest things in pro-wrestling must have been Sting and Bret Hart, and they were both WCW. Goldberg was also on the rise and DDP had just won the US Title. Man, everything really got fucked up there, didn't it?

The MAC
09-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Bret should have arrived with a championship belt (blurred on tv so that WWF wouldn't have cause to sue).

Bret should have cut a promo about being a world champion who is here to take on the current WCW champion.

Damian Rey
09-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Why did they hold off on using him for so long? His involvement at Starcade was such a cluster fuck. That crowd was shit hot for him. Should've been in a match against an NWO member with the idea that he's seen what a rebel group is capable of doing. Sting should've also destroyed Hogan at that event.

The MAC
09-12-2015, 04:18 PM
he was still under contract with WWF for at least another month after survivor series...I believe he had a fatal fourway match planned at the december in your house.

Also his hand was broken from punching Vince.

Sixx
09-12-2015, 04:55 PM
....Still?

No. And he was never that "huge", just way bigger than in the US.

Bad News Gertner
09-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Bret kind of came over to WCW at a bad time. Really wasn't a lot of time to put him in a feud with a "main eventer" before Starrcade.

Sixx
09-12-2015, 06:40 PM
pffft, was hoping this was gonna be be the official Hasselhoff thread now

sucks

SlickyTrickyDamon
09-12-2015, 07:56 PM
4/10.

Mr. Nerfect
09-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Bret kind of came over to WCW at a bad time. Really wasn't a lot of time to put him in a feud with a "main eventer" before Starrcade.

Probably this.

I think Hart vs. Flair was a good direction to take things. I guess that would have put Hart in the US Title scene at the time, which wouldn't have been a bad direction to go with him, because you also had DDP and Curt Hennig in there.

Following Hogan's loss to Sting at Starrcade, I would have begged Hogan to allow himself to get kicked out of a crumbling nWo. It'd recharge his batteries and allow a revenge program for when he returns. Hall had the title shot locked up for Souled Out, but you could have put Nash in Hall's corner and The Giant in Sting's.

Flair vs. Hart was good (well, on paper it looks good -- not sure about the story they came up with). DDP could have kept his issues going with Curt Hennig, who also finds himself on the outs with the nWo for losing ground at Starrcade. A loose alliance could have formed between Flair and Hennig (would this have made sense?) and Hart and DDP could tag up -- giving Hart interactions with Hennig, which would have been awesome. You could do Hart vs. Hennig and Flair vs. DDP; Hart vs. Flair and DDP vs. Hennig; or Hart & DDP vs. Flair & Hennig at the PPV and gotten your stir out of Bret Hart, in my opinion.

After Savage swapped in for Konnan at Starrcade, it would have made sense for Scott & Rick to be pissed off at the nWo, and challenged those wormy fucks to a tag match at Souled Out -- Savage & Konnan vs. The Steiners. You also had Benoit being forced into terribly unfair situations against Raven and his Flock. This was great isolated stuff, but I think the pay-off should have been in a cage. I know people aren't too high on Buff Bagwell, but coming off the big win against Lex Luger, he'd have made a fine challenger to Booker T and the World TV Title. Luger got screwed by Scott Norton at the PPV, so have those guys fight and put Norton over due to shenanigans. Luger disappears for a bit to sell the brutal nature of it all, and comes back blaming Sting for not having his back and being more concerned about the World Title. They had probably done that a million times before, but that's just the vibe I got from it all.