PDA

View Full Version : Tekken 5

Dark-Slicer Diago
05-23-2004, 12:03 AM
so, who else other than me is going to get this game when it comes out next year?

I made a video by using the trailer, if you wanna see it, just ask and I'll be happy to send it.

Y2Crippler
05-23-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm a huge Tekken fan. I'm assuming it's still PS2 only?

Y2Ant
05-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I am mad gonna get that game

Sephiroth
05-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I heard about think it will be good.

AareDub
05-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Can't wait :D

Dave Youell
05-24-2004, 08:25 AM
To be honest the 4th one was a big let down to me, mainly cos they ruined Jin, he was my favourite in 3 and they completly changed his move set, Stupid Namco.

I'm not going to be crazy and say i'm not gonna buy it, cos i will, I just hope they dont fuck about with anymore of the characters.

If you want new to bring in new fighting styles then bring in new fighters, dont change the existing ones.

And to anyone that sayd Kazua (sp?) has the style/moveset that Jin had, i dont care, it's not the same!

Grrrrr

Scarface
05-24-2004, 09:41 AM
To be honest the 4th one was a big let down to me, mainly cos they ruined Jin, he was my favourite in 3 and they completly changed his move set, Stupid Namco.

I'm not going to be crazy and say i'm not gonna buy it, cos i will, I just hope they dont fuck about with anymore of the characters.

If you want new to bring in new fighting styles then bring in new fighters, dont change the existing ones.

And to anyone that sayd Kazua (sp?) has the style/moveset that Jin had, i dont care, it's not the same!

Grrrrr

You're right Kazuya and Jin played differently in Tekken Tag. I can see why they changed Jin though. I'm just glad they brought Kazuya back for 4. He's so cool.

I saw some screenies of Tekken 5 and it looks like we're getting a lot of characters from the previous games so it should be really cool. I'm pretty sure I spotted a new Jack there.

AareDub
05-24-2004, 11:19 AM
I was really disappointed with 4 as well. I liked the fast paced style of Tekken Tag, then part 4 felt so slow. After all the hype about it, I just felt like they could've done a better job with it.

Nowhere Man
05-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Personally, I prefer Virtua Fighter. Still, I'll thrown down in Tekken every now and again.

Y2Ant
05-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Bout time they killed off Heihachi too :mad:

Batsu
05-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah, the Jin changing was very "Kyo Kusanagi '96"-ish. It made for some interesting play (and more of a reason to use Kazuya), but I'm not sure I fully got used to the changes.

I'm surprised they even made another sequel. This should be interesting.

AareDub
05-25-2004, 01:31 AM

For some reason I still expect him to come back as a secret boss or something. It would've been hilarious though if they worked out the story to say that he got killed in the Soul Calibur tourny :lol: That'll teach him not to bring a weapon (other than the crappy glove things).

Jonster
05-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Yeah, but isn't Heihachi like 12983 years old now?

And yes, I'm looking forward to this game. Quite a damned bit :)

Y2Ant
05-25-2004, 01:59 PM
They should have Kuma turn heel on him and eat him or something.

Jin probably wins the Tekken 4 tourny i'm guessing :o

They should have someone awesome win a tourny for once, like Hwoarang or Lee :(

Scarface
05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Paul kicked Ogres ass in tekken 3, then left.
Then Ogre changed to True and Jin took him.

Bricktop
05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
The fighting system needs an overhaul, to try and become more like Virtua Fighters. The 4th game was good, but allowed buttion mashers a chance to win with Eddy.

Funky Fly
05-26-2004, 05:13 PM
The fighting system needs an overhaul, to try and become more like Virtua Fighters. The 4th game was good, but allowed buttion mashers a chance to win with Eddy.
Buh? Eddy Gordo was in Tekken 4? :?:

I thought they replaced him with Christie. Unless there are more hidden characters than just the "?" spaces. :wtf:

Jonster
05-26-2004, 05:22 PM

I thought they replaced him with Christie. Unless there are more hidden characters than just the "?" spaces. :wtf:
Yeah, you complete it loads of times, then press triangle on Christie.

They shouldn't make it more like Virtua Fighter 4, cause then the game would be Virtua Fighter 5 and not Tekken 5.

Bricktop
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah, you complete it loads of times, then press triangle on Christie.

They shouldn't make it more like Virtua Fighter 4, cause then the game would be Virtua Fighter 5 and not Tekken 5.

What I mean Jonster is that they should add more depth to the game. Tekken still seems like a buttion masher's game. Its kinda annoying watching new people buttion mash the whole round and actually win sometimes. I think the game has some good parts to it, but the system needs an overhaul. More reversals, throws,martial arts moves combo's and less cheap air juggling.

Jonster
05-26-2004, 06:21 PM
What I mean Jonster is that they should add more depth to the game. Tekken still seems like a buttion masher's game. Its kinda annoying watching new people buttion mash the whole round and actually win sometimes. I think the game has some good parts to it, but the system needs an overhaul. More reversals, throws,martial arts moves combo's and less cheap air juggling.

Yeah I kinda agree with you there, but that button mashing allows a lot of people to pick up the game and play relatively good straight away (maybe 3 or 4 fights), whereas Virtua Fighter 4 is very complex, and takes a while to learn (I tried (owned VF4: Evo, wish I still did), but didn't have the time or the real patience required) to get a basic skill. I played for about 4, maybe 5 hours, and still didn't get all the concepts in the game.
Also VF4 leads to more speciality in characters, I think you're less likely to be able to play as everyone, because you have to actually play differently as everyone and learn everyone - which takes a lot of time for just one character.
In Tekken the difference in characters is still there, but less of a restriction.

With Tekken, if you know what you're doing, then it's very hard to lose a fight. I played about 200 fights with someone (we were bored) who had little experience, whereas I had quite a bit of experience. I kept losing on purpose to not piss him off.
When I played with another friend who was actually better than me, I could barely touch him.
It's the pretty much same with VF4, except button bashers are easier to beat.

It still does annoy me that not every character has reversals, but that just shows the range of fighting styles, not every fighting style does have reversals.

Anyways, I've gone on far too long, I would love to see the depth there, but I don't want it turning into a chore to actually learn the game before playing.
I suppose it comes down to preference and free time - if you've got the time and patience to put in, then Virtua Fighter 4 would be supremely rewarding, whereas Tekken has less depth but is easier to get into.

Bricktop
05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah I kinda agree with you there, but that button mashing allows a lot of people to pick up the game and play relatively good straight away (maybe 3 or 4 fights), whereas Virtua Fighter 4 is very complex, and takes a while to learn (I tried (owned VF4: Evo, wish I still did), but didn't have the time or the real patience required) to get a basic skill. I played for about 4, maybe 5 hours, and still didn't get all the concepts in the game.
Also VF4 leads to more speciality in characters, I think you're less likely to be able to play as everyone, because you have to actually play differently as everyone and learn everyone - which takes a lot of time for just one character.
In Tekken the difference in characters is still there, but less of a restriction.

With Tekken, if you know what you're doing, then it's very hard to lose a fight. I played about 200 fights with someone (we were bored) who had little experience, whereas I had quite a bit of experience. I kept losing on purpose to not piss him off.
When I played with another friend who was actually better than me, I could barely touch him.
It's the pretty much same with VF4, except button bashers are easier to beat.

It still does annoy me that not every character has reversals, but that just shows the range of fighting styles, not every fighting style does have reversals.

Anyways, I've gone on far too long, I would love to see the depth there, but I don't want it turning into a chore to actually learn the game before playing.
I suppose it comes down to preference and free time - if you've got the time and patience to put in, then Virtua Fighter 4 would be supremely rewarding, whereas Tekken has less depth but is easier to get into.

Well Put. I cannot argue with that, you've covered all the points. :y:

Shadowspell
05-26-2004, 06:36 PM
As long as Hwoarang (sp?) made the cut, i'm down.
Gotta love cheap juggle combos :D

Jonster
05-26-2004, 07:34 PM
As long as Hwoarang (sp?) made the cut, i'm down.
Gotta love cheap juggle combos :D
He's in as far as I'm aware.

Trouble is just getting them up there in the first place :p

Bricktop
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
He's in as far as I'm aware.

Trouble is just getting them up there in the first place :p

They need to seriously spend 5 minutes on the whole jumping part of tekken. A lot of 3d games never get this right, you can add tekken and VF to that list.

Y2Ant
05-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I think everyone is in apart from Heihachi, who dies (dunno how)

Out of Tekken 4, the only ones who I haven't seen in any screenshots are Kuma/Panda, Combot, Bryan Fury (I think), and i'm not sure i've seen Lei in it either, but I doubt he'll be excluded.

So pretty much everyone from Tekken 4 is in it, plus the 3 new characters, Raven, that kung fu guy, and Asuka Kazama (Jin's long lost sister)

Jonster
05-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I think everyone is in apart from Heihachi, who dies (dunno how)

In the video I saw, his base gets invaded by a load of Jack's, and he starts to fight them off, until one of them reveals a bomb in his chest.
One big explosion later, Heihachi is deaded.

Funky Fly
05-26-2004, 08:44 PM
In the video I saw, his base gets invaded by a load of Jack's, and he starts to fight them off, until one of them reveals a bomb in his chest.
One big explosion later, Heihachi is deaded.

That's what you get for wearing a tiger striped suit and a diaper in Tekken 4, I guess. :-\

Still, they should port this game to the GC. The controller setups are quite similar, so it could be done.

Vietnamese Crippler
05-26-2004, 09:47 PM
That's what you get for wearing a tiger striped suit and a diaper in Tekken 4, I guess. :-\

Still, they should port this game to the GC. The controller setups are quite similar, so it could be done.

The only Namco game the GC's gonna get is Starfox 2 :o

Batsu
05-26-2004, 10:09 PM

I think in the PS2 version he was a "Start" button Christie (he appeared in Christie's ending and all)...I remember using him in the Tekken Force mode when I rented it.

Jonster
05-27-2004, 08:42 AM
The only Namco game the GC's gonna get is Starfox 2 :o
And Soul Calibur 2.
And R:Racing.
And Pac-Man VS (which is free with R:Racing here and is the best multiplayer thing ever).

Was looking at the GC pad earlier, and the pad is very different to the PS2 one.
I've played Soul Calibur 2 on both, and it took quite a while to adjust to the new layout.
The GC pad isn't arranged in a logical sense for it to be left/right punch, left/right kick.
Not saying it isn't possible, or that I wouldn't like to see it, but it wouldn't feel as natural as playing on the PS2.

Dark-Slicer Diago
05-27-2004, 06:25 PM
whoever wants my music video of this game(used Trailer) just give me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

DarkSlicer@hotmail.com

Y2Ant
05-27-2004, 08:01 PM
That sounds like a pretty shit death :o

Vietnamese Crippler
05-27-2004, 09:19 PM
And Soul Calibur 2.
And R:Racing.
And Pac-Man VS (which is free with R:Racing here and is the best multiplayer thing ever).

I was talking more like in the near future :meh:

Dark-Slicer Diago
06-01-2004, 07:14 PM
June 01, 2004 - Japan's Arcadia Magazine recently scored an interview pertaining to Tekken 5. The devout followers of the franchise at Tekken Zaibatsu paraphrased that interview for their own site. Afterward, the news hounds at Gamers Feed publicized this and added a few details. What are we left with?
Characters:
30 or 31 characters total.
Kuma will return.
The new Jack is Jack-5. P-Jack and GunJack take the place of Jacks 3 and 4, respectively.
Bruce Irvin will return.
Anna Williams will return.
There will be a sumo fighter that may be Ganryu.
Eddy Gordo will return (could still be a Christie duplicate).
Heihachi is not dead (even though the E3 trailer kind of says he is).
Gameplay:
Some stages scroll forever.
Wall interaction is still not entirely understood.
Wall push is removed.
Less realistic than Tekken 4 (lasers return).
Virtua Fighter 4-esque custom color mode is in place.
Possible reintroduction of the tag feature.

Thanks again to Arcadia Magazine, Tekken Zaibatsu, and Gamer Feed for the super hot details.

this was straight from ps2.ign.com

Bricktop
06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
June 01, 2004 - Japan's Arcadia Magazine recently scored an interview pertaining to Tekken 5. The devout followers of the franchise at Tekken Zaibatsu paraphrased that interview for their own site. Afterward, the news hounds at Gamers Feed publicized this and added a few details. What are we left with?
Characters:
30 or 31 characters total.
Kuma will return.
The new Jack is Jack-5. P-Jack and GunJack take the place of Jacks 3 and 4, respectively.
Bruce Irvin will return.
Anna Williams will return.
There will be a sumo fighter that may be Ganryu.
Eddy Gordo will return (could still be a Christie duplicate).
Heihachi is not dead (even though the E3 trailer kind of says he is).
Gameplay:
Some stages scroll forever.
Wall interaction is still not entirely understood.
Wall push is removed.
Less realistic than Tekken 4 (lasers return).
Virtua Fighter 4-esque custom color mode is in place.
Possible reintroduction of the tag feature.

Thanks again to Arcadia Magazine, Tekken Zaibatsu, and Gamer Feed for the super hot details.

this was straight from ps2.ign.com

I dunno, sounds like another lazy Tekken upgrade to me. They haven't done much since Tekken Tag.