PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Some Thoughts on Austin coming back, Benoit/Guerrero WM-21 M.E., etc.

Heyman
05-23-2004, 10:04 PM
DISCUSSION - Some Thoughts on Austin coming back, Benoit/Guerrero WM-21 M.E., etc.

<font color=white>Benoit/Guerrero- Wrestlemania 21 main-event</font>

Would anyone else like to see Benoit vs. Guerrero at next year's Wrestlemania main-event? It would be a title unification match (where the champ from here on out, gets to appear on both shows). I'm not sure what they'd do for the Royal Rumble winner (perhaps announce that the winner of RR gets a title shot at the February PPV?), but I'd still like to see this thing go down......especially with Eddie and Benoit.

Not only do Eddie and Benoit have the history with one another, they also have a lot of commonalities (i.e. becoming World champ around the same time, debuting in the WWE at the same time, etc.).

The emotion going into this feud/match at Wrestlemania could be unbelievable. The match itself would be unbelievable as well.

Between now and Wrestlemania, both Benoit and Guerrero could lose their respective world titles, only to regain it either later this year or early next year. This will add another dimension/commonality to their feud (how both men had to work hard to prevail and regain their title).

Another match I'd like to see next year? (The Rock vs.Triple H). They've never gone one on one at WM. Due to both men having some acting experience under their belts, the feud could start over

a) Who had a more successful wrestling career
b) Who will have a more successful acting career.

<font color=white>Austin: Is it possible for him to have neck fusion surgery again so he can wrestle full-time?</font>

-I asked this question before, but didn't really get an adequate response.

Let's take a look at some facts:

1) Austin arguably needs the WWE more than the WWE needs him. Without the WWE, Austin is a woman-beating, law-breaking, drunken fool. As an active wrestler, Austin is a star who gets popped like none other.

2) Austin still has some 'angles' left in him: Assuming that the WWE can sign Hulk Hogan and Goldberg for "one-time appearance" deals, that's TWO high profile matches for Austin right there. Austin/Hogan or Austin/Goldberg can REALLY bring in some potential PPV buyrates.

Up-and-comers such as John Cena and Randy Orton can also go after Austin once they legitimately become mega-stars. If a guy like Brock Lesnar returned, he can also feud with Austin. That match has also never been done before.

While we're on the subject of <font color=white>neck fusion surgery</font>, is it possible for Kurt Angle to undergo this? Personally - I think it might be better for him.

As we saw in Benoit and Austin's case, neck fusion surgery may put you out of action for a long time, but you can wrestle full-time (for an extended period of time atleast) when you come back. With Angle right now, it just seems like he wrestles for 3-5 months, and then re-injures himself.

At a time when Smackdown is going through it's "formative period" anyways, perhaps it isn't a bad idea to have Angle and Austin get their neck fusion surgery. They can then come back as full-time wrestlers again.

Speaking of Austin, I hope that he WOULD go to Smackdown if he ever returned as an active wrestler.

MVP
05-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Benoit and Guerrero would be a hott match, I remember their match at last year's Vengence, and it was pretty damn good. I can see both of them highlighting next year's Wrestlemania seeing as they were the two big winners at this year's. But I don't see any reason to unify both brand's championship belts unless one of the brand's are creating a new one. Not to mention Vince seems to think that the World Heavyweight Championship is superior to the WWE Title even though both belts have had their fair share of great champions.

As for Austin and Angle, I don't know medical science or human anatomy all that well so I can't say whether or not their neck's can be fused back to normal, I'm assuming no because they probably would've had it done already.

Hypothetically speaking, if Austin were to return to Wrestlemania next year for his retirement match I think it should be against Randy Orton. Think of what it'd do for Orton's career if he put away the icon of the WWF Attitude Era at Wrestlemania 21.

Triple H vs. The Rock? Yeah it'd draw pretty well.

The CyNick
05-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Benoit-Guerrero would be great, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Problem is, it will never happen at leats not for a unified title (which I dont think they plan on ever doing in the near future). Benoit wont get out of the summer as World Champion, and by the time Mania rolls around he'll basically be in the same spot Jericho is now. Its obvious they still dont see him as the top guy on RAW, so there's no way he'll headline Mania again, especially without Hunter.

Only way I could see that match happening is if somehow Benoit gets traded back to Smackdown, and then they do Benoit-Guerrero for the WWE Heavyweight Title at Mania. I would imagine Orton-HHH will be the RAW main event.

I mentioned the Hunter-Rock angle for down the road based on their success in movies a long time ago. But its way too early for that one. Rock is a star, no doubt, but nobody knows about Hunter being in movies. Even by the time Mania rolls around, the only thing Hunter will have under his belt is the bit part in Blade 3, and maybe a straight to DVD released movie under WWE Films. Not exactly something to start a feud over. Now, if Hunter gets this Conan movie deal, and that actually gets released in theatres with him as the lead, then yeah they could do Rock-HHH "battle of the Movie Stars". But that would be Mania 22 at the earliest, and 23 would probably be more likely.

As for austin, plain and simple, he's done as a full time worker. He's already had similar surgery to Benoit, and his neck is still F'd up. I think if he gets anymore surgery he wont be able to do anything in the ring. He could obviously work a match here or there, but outside a one shot deal for a Mania, I dont see any use in bringing him back.

Heyman
05-24-2004, 12:39 AM
As for austin, plain and simple, he's done as a full time worker. He's already had similar surgery to Benoit, and his neck is still F'd up.

I don't think anyone expects the "fusion" surgery to permanently heal his neck (especially if he wrestles). However - the last time Austin had the fusion surgery, he lasted a good year and a half (end of 2000 - early/mid 2002).

I'm thinking that maybe he could do the same? (if that's possible).

As far as fusion surgery goes, would this be an option for Angle?

Heyman
05-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if Austin were to return to Wrestlemania next year for his retirement match I think it should be against Randy Orton. Think of what it'd do for Orton's career if he put away the icon of the WWF Attitude Era at Wrestlemania 21.

:drool:

That would be HOT sh</>it.

Innovator
05-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Austin needs to get the surgery, he put off his neck problem from August of 97 to November of 99.

Angle should follow suit, considering he has had neck problems since 96.

HHH vs. The Rock? I'm sold. These two have had some battles and drew well. Thes feud between the two never really was settled (last time they fought on PPV was in the triple threat with Angle at Summerslam).

The CyNick
05-24-2004, 12:55 AM
I don't think anyone expects the "fusion" surgery to permanently heal his neck (especially if he wrestles). However - the last time Austin had the fusion surgery, he lasted a good year and a half (end of 2000 - early/mid 2002).

I'm thinking that maybe he could do the same? (if that's possible).

As far as fusion surgery goes, would this be an option for Angle?

It depends on how many discs he had fused. You can only fuse so many discs if you expect to live a normal life, nevermind wrestle a grueling schedule. I'm pretty sure that if Austin has any more fusion surgery his wrestling days will definately be over.

I know this is the case with Angle. A lot of people question the surgery he got with Dr Jho, instead of getting the fusion surgery, but again because of his past injuries if he would have had discs fused his career would have been over. Believe me if there was any way Angle could get another 1-2 years out of his career he would do it, but its not an option for him.

big_bluto
05-24-2004, 05:48 AM
I agree with CyNick.
I read Austins book and in that he also mentioned the problems with his neck and also his back and his knees too.
Basically, he said that he's pretty much a physical wreck, and can't handle wrestling again.

As for Kurt Angle, he wrestled in WM19 with only 50% feeling in his arm, little or no power in his hand, etc. Still put on a hell of a match.

I think that if either of these guys could wrestle to a standard that they would deem acceptable to themselves, then they would do it.
I think Angle will in the future, but it'll be a special occasion when he does.

Heyman
05-24-2004, 07:55 AM
I agree with CyNick.
I read Austins book and in that he also mentioned the problems with his neck and also his back and his knees too.
Basically, he said that he's pretty much a physical wreck, and can't handle wrestling again.

As for Kurt Angle, he wrestled in WM19 with only 50% feeling in his arm, little or no power in his hand, etc. Still put on a hell of a match.

I think that if either of these guys could wrestle to a standard that they would deem acceptable to themselves, then they would do it.
I think Angle will in the future, but it'll be a special occasion when he does.

*space_bar_is_screwed_up*

If_That's_the_case,_then_it's_better_if_Angle_and_Austin_don't_wrestle_full-time.__As_far_as_Austin_goes_,I_wouldn't_mind_him_going_to_Smackdown_(in_the_"sherrif"_role)_to_provide_opposition_to_Angle.__Not_only_does_Austin's_star_power_potentially_help_Smackdown _,_but_perhaps_him_and_Angle_could_have_one_last_match_with_one_another_(it_could_be_hyped_as_"the_last_match_for_both_men")

If_Lesnar_comes_back_,_Austin_can_have_another_"last_match"_with_him_as_well.

big_bluto
05-24-2004, 08:53 AM
*space_bar_is_screwed_up*

If_That's_the_case,_then_it's_better_if_Angle_and_Austin_don't_wrestle_full-time.__As_far_as_Austin_goes_,I_wouldn't_mind_him_going_to_Smackdown_(in_the_"sherrif"_role)_to_provide_opposition_to_Angle.__Not_only_does_Austin's_star_power_potentially_help_Smackdown _,_but_perhaps_him_and_Angle_could_have_one_last_match_with_one_another_(it_could_be_hyped_as_"the_last_match_for_both_men")

If_Lesnar_comes_back_,_Austin_can_have_another_"last_match"_with_him_as_well.

I think the whole broken leg gimmick that Angle has just now is purely created to give him rest, but still have him on TV. If that's the case then it doesn't sound promising that he'll be performing much at all!

I'd like to see him going at it with either a returning Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, or even Edge again, winning clean and then retiring from ring work permanently.
In reality it would be great for Orton's career if Angle could put him over, but I don't see that happening.

As for Austin......
The time has come for him to hang up his boots. :'(
I would dearly love for him to be able to continue, but with his problems, he shouldn't put his health above our desire to see him wrestle again.
If we want to see Austin again, we should watch old tapes and remember him wrestling as he was. Not as some half-assed sherrif who beats up the talent.
That doesn't help anybody on any show.