PDA

View Full Version : Is there any wrestler in WWE that you feel is presented perfectly?

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2016, 06:10 AM
I've been thinking about the tweaks you could make to several contracted employees of the WWE to get them to click with audiences that little bit more -- whether it be in their look, their theme music, their finishing move or their overall gimmick. I thought it'd be fun to discuss if there is anyone you feel that is the "complete package" and presented in a way that you feel is getting the most out of that talent?

Feel free to bring up stars of the past, and what about their presentation really helped them fire on all cylinders with you as a fan.

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Brock Lesnar is the first guy that comes to mind for me. You actually feel like he could kick your ass, and that the barricade at ringside isn't adequate protection. But still, he kind of got tossed like a pussy at the Rumble. Heyman's promo made it sound like Brock WILL take revenge though -- just after he's ticked off his box of becoming the reigning and defending WWE Heavyweight Champion of the World again.

I feel like Sasha Banks is en route to being presented as best she can too. Actually, I'd throw Becky Lynch and Charlotte into that conversation too. The Divas Division is actually shaping up like it might catch the same sort of lightning the NXT Women's Division has. Unfortunately, Paige and Natalya are still booked inconsistently as fuck.

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2016, 06:16 AM
The shift to black trunks is going to help Ryback tremendously.

Wishbone
02-06-2016, 06:27 AM
When you say "presented perfectly" do you mean their booking and position on the card too, or just their appearance, music, etc? I ask because there's a big difference between the two.

On topic though I'd say that Stone Cold Steve Austin is about as close as we've ever seen to being perfectly presented. His look, music, position on the card, and the booking (most of the time) were all just spot on.

Shisen Kopf
02-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Mr. Perfect

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2016, 10:12 AM
When you say "presented perfectly" do you mean their booking and position on the card too, or just their appearance, music, etc? I ask because there's a big difference between the two.

On topic though I'd say that Stone Cold Steve Austin is about as close as we've ever seen to being perfectly presented. His look, music, position on the card, and the booking (most of the time) were all just spot on.

Booking could obviously be considered part of the presentation, but feel free to keep it to the aesthetics as well.

Stone Cold Steve Austin is a good selection, right up until 2001 anyway. Even so, that was mainly his face/heel dynamic -- he was still protected in the ring. It's kind of interesting to note that Austin stopped really drawing people in about the time he was booked to shit.

The Condor
02-06-2016, 10:25 AM
B

I feel like Sasha Banks is en route to being presented as best she can too.

I have a job and a life, so I am not able to watch NXT, and I don't particularly mean that sentence as a jab at you or others who do. I am a wrestling fan and have been for a long time. I watch RAW as much as I can, check out Impact when I can, watch the PPV'S, and I might even catch some New Japan. But with so much to do in life , I just don't bother with NXT because it doesn't seem to matter. Every call up outside the Shield and maybe Owens has been utter shit on the main roster. It would be like watching the Durham Bulls minor-league AAA baseball team, and then seeing the players end up on Tampa Bay Rays and suck.

That being said-- I am not at all impressed by Sasha Banks and I feel that fans' affection for her is only for her NXT run 8 months ago and not for anything she has done on the main roster. Her mic skills are meh, she seems very awkward in the ring(due to lack of rehearsal time that she had in NXT?), and her look is whatever. I heard all about her matches in NXT and was excited for her, Charlotte, and Becky to show up. However, I think the other two have done much better jobs with the opportunity, and after watching her in action I have questions about her actually calling matches in the ring.

I would go to say that Becky has been the best baby face on the WWE roster since late last year, and her character, look, and ring work is my answer to your actual question of presentation.

Maluco
02-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Kevin Owens possibly?

All black/ no fuss, great music, super reactions. He is a chicken heel who attacks from behind, who trash talks brilliantly, but when the fight happens, he is ready for it and looks an equal to anyone he goes up against. He come across as not only a great wrestler, but also a tough guy with a chip on his shoulder. It treads the line perfectly between being a proper heel, as well as a great wrestler and a legitimate threat.

I just wish they had kept him stronger recently because a match with him and Taker at Mania would have been really cool, with KO going to desperate lengths to try and put Taker away and prove how good he is, that he is on Lesnar's level and deserves the plaudits etc...

A win would have transitioned him beautifully into a feud with Brock for Summerslam, and a loss wouldn't have been the end of the world if he took him to the limits, because his character is so good imo.

Maluco
02-06-2016, 10:35 AM
As for the woman conversation, I think Charlotte is excellent and think they have found the right formula with her now.

Becky is great and sympathetic as a face.

Banks is money though...and I don't even know why. Condor is right in that she doesn't stand out in any one area if you look at it objectively. But its in the way she carries herself, unbelievable amount of charisma. She is just cool without even trying. She is a believable star because of that, you can't teach it.

#1-norm-fan
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
As far as presentation from a booking standpoint, the one that sticks out recently was Ryback up until just after Hell in a Cell match against Punk. In a perfect world, maybe a slow climb to that level might have worked but the fact that it was so sudden was like a breath of fresh air. No one saw it coming and the crowd was eating up the prospect of a new super face to cheer for. And I'm one of the few people who thought the way they got out of HIAC with Punk as champion but Ryback still looking strong was perfect. As was the simple way they built him up. He was a monster character so they let him be a monster and the people got behind him as the guy who could shut any cocky heel up. It was pretty basic but they did it right.

And Lesnar of course between WrestleMania 30 and 31 was presented insanely well. Since 31 he's slowly been losing that mystique he had. Between the unnecessary loss to Taker and the odd way he came out of the Rumble looking I'm not feeling him like I was at this point.

Can't really think of anyone at the moment who is presented perfectly on the main roster. NXT, yes. Main roster, meh.

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2016, 10:44 AM
I still think that it should have been Ryback vs. Big Show at WrestleMania XXIX the following year. And it should have been a squash.

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Sasha Banks is one of the few talents on the roster -- male or female -- that I feel has that star aura. I love Becky, but I feel that her position depends mostly on her being booked to be a babyface. I haven't watched in a while, but I worry she lacks that intangible charisma. I hope I am wrong.

#1-norm-fan
02-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Ryback vs Show would have been fine. I was rooting for Ryback vs Lesnar. Especially knowing Lesnar was just gonna job to Triple H anyway. Might as well solidify Ryback. The buzz going into that match would have been through the roof, too.

Maluco
02-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Ryback looks like a lost cause now, he was wearing all these stupid colours and hats and weight belts and arm bands and chains for a while and looked like a massive goof. There was no focus on his feuds and no heat to anything him or his opponents were doing. I fear he is a lost cause now.

I wonder if the rumours about him being unsafe contributed to his complete lack of focus in the last while...

Maluco
02-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Also, R-truth. At his age and everything, just making him an entertaining character at this stage who doesn't wrestle all the time is a good direction for him. Laughed so much at his recent stuff. It is goofy and stupid but I really enjoy it. Think he is being used really well right now.

The Condor
02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
When Ryback first hit the scene on Smackdown around the same time as Cesaro and Sandow, I rolled my eyes. He didn't have the working talent of Cesaro, or gimmick/mic skills of Sandow. But as time went on I was sold. He had the aura, the it factor, and hot shotting him against Punk and Cena was the worst idea in the world, because he NEVER was booked to come out on top. The fans were ready, the booking was perfect, and then it all went to shit. I doubt they could rectify that again with him and it's a damn shame.

Theo Dious
02-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Dean Ambrose. Basically he's the guy who gives zero fucks. But they can't say that on TV so they call him the Lunatic Fringe instead. But that's basically it. He goes with his impulses and isn't much concerned with winning and losing as much as he's concerned with hurting whoever is currently pissing him off.

Also he's an incredibly beautiful man.

Rammsteinmad
02-06-2016, 12:55 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h4rbHLM5NZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lock Jaw
02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Pretty much only the NEW DAY

Lock Jaw
02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Also Heath Slater

Simple Fan
02-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Dean Ambrose, think he the best presented guy on the roster and is really in tune with his character.

Kevin Owens, smart guy and never does anything out of character. He has kept alot of what Kevin Steen was and thats a good thing

New Day, they just go out there and do their thing and its pure gold.

AJ Styles, in the short time on the roster they have done well with him and I'll keep my fingers crossed it continues.

Hanso Amore
02-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Not joking, R Truth

His spot as the comedy guy is pulled of perfectly.

XL
02-06-2016, 05:34 PM
I have a job and a life, so I am not able to watch NXT, and I don't particularly mean that sentence as a jab at you or others who do. I am a wrestling fan and have been for a long time. I watch RAW as much as I can, check out Impact when I can, watch the PPV'S, and I might even catch some New Japan. But with so much to do in life , I just don't bother with NXT because it doesn't seem to matter. Every call up outside the Shield and maybe Owens has been utter shit on the main roster. It would be like watching the Durham Bulls minor-league AAA baseball team, and then seeing the players end up on Tampa Bay Rays and suck.

That being said-- I am not at all impressed by Sasha Banks and I feel that fans' affection for her is only for her NXT run 8 months ago and not for anything she has done on the main roster. Her mic skills are meh, she seems very awkward in the ring(due to lack of rehearsal time that she had in NXT?), and her look is whatever. I heard all about her matches in NXT and was excited for her, Charlotte, and Becky to show up. However, I think the other two have done much better jobs with the opportunity, and after watching her in action I have questions about her actually calling matches in the ring.

I would go to say that Becky has been the best baby face on the WWE roster since late last year, and her character, look, and ring work is my answer to your actual question of presentation.

Gonna make a suggestion here.

Quit catching Raw when you can, don't bother with the PPVs, and stop watching Impact. Start watching NXT. This achieves 2 things;

1) you get to watch the best hour of wrestling that the week has to offer, thus saving you 2+ hours a week

2) you don't have to worry about mishandled call ups to the main roster.

Emperor Smeat
02-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Bayley - Would argue she's been presented better overall than Sasha and everything about her gimmick has clicked really well to the point she should become a mega star in the WWE. Feels more natural with the underdog role than others like Cena and somehow something as goofy as having hugging play a big role in her gimmick worked out perfectly.

Mr. Nerfect
02-07-2016, 01:16 AM
There's something amiss about Dean Ambrose. They've made him too "stupid" for my liking. And he doesn't get the job done enough. And his attire is goofy.

Sepholio
02-07-2016, 03:01 PM
If you take booking/record out of the equation then I'd say Bray.

Barring that, the only ones I can think of are Brock and HHH. I would love to say Sasha or Becky or any of the talented new divas but they haven't had long enough on the main stage yet and I have no faith in the WWE not pushing them all into bullshit like the rest of the divas.

Sepholio
02-07-2016, 03:06 PM
There's something amiss about Dean Ambrose. They've made him too "stupid" for my liking. And he doesn't get the job done enough. And his attire is goofy.

They are so close with him though. I think if they toned down the stupidity by about 20% they could strike gold. He is just across the threshold for taking him seriously. Really, depending on the outcome of fastlane, they could fix Dean entirely and make him a huge star.

I know Rollins and Reigns are supposed to be the new faces of the company but Dean can achieve that with the fans so much easier than those 2 can. They need to give Ambrose his moment in the spotlight soon; they won't regret it.