PDA

View Full Version : Big news regarding the Divas division *Spoilers*

GD
03-31-2016, 05:38 PM
http://www.sescoops.com/wwe-rebranding-the-divas-division-new-womens-championship-commissioned/

Say goodbye to WWE’s “Divas” division and the purple butterfly belt.

WWE finally caved and the decision has been made to rebrand Divas division as the Women’s division. The official announcement will be made on Monday’s WWE RAW from Dallas, the night after WrestleMania. The news was first reported by PWInsider and we’ve since verified it independently.

A new WWE Women’s Championship belt has already commissioned. From what we’ve been told, the new Women’s Championship bares a strong similarity to the WWE World Heavyweight championship belt – but it’s mounted on a white leather strap and is smaller.

Charlotte will defend her Divas Championship against Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch this Sunday. We’ll find out on Sunday night which of the three competitors will have the honor of retiring the Divas Championship and ushering in the new era of Women’s wrestling in WWE.

Sixx
03-31-2016, 05:39 PM
early april fools?

GD
03-31-2016, 05:45 PM
What the fuck? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Women%27s_Champions

http://i.imgur.com/7z99Giz.png

The CyNick
03-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Smart move. Establishes the females as athletes vs models.

Sixx
03-31-2016, 05:59 PM
Didn't your buddy Vince tell you that already?

DAMN iNATOR
03-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Of COURSE they won't bring back the classic Women's Championship. :nono:

owenbrown
03-31-2016, 06:21 PM
What the fuck? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Women%27s_Champions

http://i.imgur.com/7z99Giz.png

lol IT'S STILL UNCHANGED! :lol:

Simple Fan
03-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Now just need new tag team championships. Hate the current ones and don't think they look at all like a wrestling championship. Good for WWE though, Womens division is the way to go.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-31-2016, 07:17 PM
Smart move. Establishes the females as athletes vs models.

What would you have said if there was an accurate report that they had decided that the divas ought to remain Divas because Vincent K McMahon and the network execs had decided it was best for merch sales and aided in network subscription? Hypothetically, this was reported by you, because you asked Vince yourself and he told you. How would you feel?

Lock Jaw
03-31-2016, 07:22 PM
I think they can still be referred to as Divas from time to time, but it being called a "Women's match" and "Women's Title" is good.

Like how the male rasslers are called Superstars, but they didn't name the World Title the "Superstars Championship" or something like that....

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-31-2016, 07:25 PM

It's fixed. Until they bring back the WWE Womans Championship.

I was fine with the divas title being the belt when they had shitty females fighting for it. Mostly due to Big Johnny and the Diva Search.

The time is right. The Revolution is complete. Diva is dead. Long live women's wrestling.

Fuck you Johnny Ace but congrats on getting married. :D

Simple Fan
03-31-2016, 07:35 PM

it is now

road doggy dogg
03-31-2016, 07:38 PM
surprised it took them this long tbh

great move. for as strong as the women's division has become, having that joke of a butterfly belt and calling them "divas" constantly totally and wholly undermined everything they were trying to accomplish

Simple Fan
03-31-2016, 07:50 PM
Rendering of what the title could possibly look like.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce5YdomW4AEfqz4.jpg

#1-norm-fan
03-31-2016, 08:05 PM
I bet STD fixed that Wikipedia page. Seems like the kind of "enough of this nonsense" thing he would do.

Theo Dious
03-31-2016, 08:50 PM

Looks good to me.

Emperor Smeat
03-31-2016, 08:56 PM
surprised it took them this long tbh

great move. for as strong as the women's division has become, having that joke of a butterfly belt and calling them "divas" constantly totally and wholly undermined everything they were trying to accomplish

Probably could have done it a couple of years sooner had Total Divas not been a success early on. Big reason its happening now is because of how badly the new season is doing viewers-wise and the Bellas WWE future in serious doubt (at least for Nikki).

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Sort of reminds me of the one Alundra Blayze threw in the trash with the colors.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Probably could have done it a couple of years sooner had Total Divas not been a success early on. Big reason its happening now is because of how badly the new season is doing viewers-wise and the Bellas WWE future in serious doubt (at least for Nikki).

Reports are Brie is retiring after Mania too.

XL
03-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Isn't that just somebody playing with the CAB feature on WWE 2K16? It could end up similar based on the description in the report but I'd be hesitant to call it a "rendering of what the belt might look like".

Simple Fan
03-31-2016, 10:02 PM
It may be, haven't played a WWE videogame since Smackdown vs Raw ft. ECW.

Ruien
03-31-2016, 10:27 PM
Really won't look at the division differently if they are called Divas or Women Wrestlers. With both of the Bella's basically being done I guess it does not matter. The Bellas will probably claim to be the last real Divas while building up their brand more and more. Doubt any Woman Wrestler will surpass their brand either.

KIRA
03-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Fucking finally

Nicky Fives
04-01-2016, 05:43 AM
Excellent. Charlotte retains for sure then at Mania.

DAMN iNATOR
04-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Can't wait for the series premiere of "Total Women"!

The CyNick
04-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Didn't your buddy Vince tell you that already?

I knew it was happening soon. Stephanie was big on it. Vince liked the branding for Divas and the tie in to Total Divas. But they have seen the success of UFC promoting "women", their own success with NXT and things like womens soccer. So it was a matter of time.

The CyNick
04-01-2016, 08:48 AM
What would you have said if there was an accurate report that they had decided that the divas ought to remain Divas because Vincent K McMahon and the network execs had decided it was best for merch sales and aided in network subscription? Hypothetically, this was reported by you, because you asked Vince yourself and he told you. How would you feel?

I would believe it and understand it. From a branding standpoint, Divas means something to WWE, whereas women is not something you can brand really. So I would get the hesitation. At the end of the day I think it's better to draw female fans with athletic rolemodels than just focusing on looks. Looks should continue to be part of the equation, but not the whole thing. A girl like Aska is not going to get over by being the hottest "Diva", she might get over as an ass kicker.

Sixx
04-01-2016, 09:05 AM
I googled Aska and it's apparently a Jpop singer.

http://www.jpopasia.com/i1/celebrities/1/23369-aska-0o2q.jpg

Innovator
04-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Guy on reddit who's called a bunch of spoilers posted a picture of the title this morning:

http://i.imgur.com/t3nOUo7.png

Evil Vito
04-01-2016, 09:30 AM
It feels somewhat lazy to just make it look like the WWE title but with a different color strap or plate color. Makes me wonder if someday all of the belts will look the same.

That said it'd still be a billion times better than that butterfly monstrosity.

Destor
04-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Bout time.

XL
04-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Excellent. Charlotte retains for sure then at Mania.

You think? It'd be an easier transition to have Sascha or Becky win, come out on Raw the next night and re-christen the belt/Division. If Charlotte retains, why didn't she insist on being called "Women's Champion" months ago?

Simple Fan
04-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Think Charlotte is the way to go as well. Just seems like it would fit her character better to have a new belt presented to her. Then have another women do a run in, Page, Naomi, Natayla? Going to be tough not callings them divas anymore though.

Lock Jaw
04-01-2016, 12:43 PM
I think Becky Lynch is the way to go.... As the only "real face" in the match.... Should win and then get the rub of getting to rename the division....

Of course, Stephanie McMahon will probably be the one to get the rub of renaming it and making the announcement.....

Heyman
04-01-2016, 12:54 PM
April Fool's joke?

The CyNick
04-01-2016, 02:19 PM
It feels somewhat lazy to just make it look like the WWE title but with a different color strap or plate color. Makes me wonder if someday all of the belts will look the same.

That said it'd still be a billion times better than that butterfly monstrosity.

UFC women's belts look the same. I think it should look similar because it helps associate that its equivalent to the men's world title.

Fignuts
04-01-2016, 02:29 PM
XL is correct. That pic is just someone recoloring the world title in the video game.

"possible rendering" lol

Even if the belts have similarities, I doubt they would just repaint the wwe title. That's just too lolTNA for WWE's standards.

Theo Dious
04-01-2016, 02:46 PM
I never liked how the women's belt said WOMEN'S so big on it. Retooling the WWE WHC belt to make it a bit slimmer and maybe a little shinier is a good way to go. No reason to slap a gender identifier on their. Keep the custom side plate motif & everyone will know whose belt it is.

Theo Dious
04-01-2016, 02:47 PM
UFC women's belts look the same. I think it should look similar because it helps associate that its equivalent to the men's world title.

They don't even refer to them as "women's" champions in UFC.

The CyNick
04-01-2016, 02:58 PM
They don't even refer to them as "women's" champions in UFC.

Yeah not on the belt themselves. Obviously in promoting the fights they do though.

In this day and age I think it's smart to position the females as athletes.

Evil Vito
04-01-2016, 02:59 PM

The NXT and NXT Women's championships look vastly different but are very much portrayed as being of equal importance.

The CyNick
04-01-2016, 04:19 PM
The NXT and NXT Women's championships look vastly different but are very much portrayed as being of equal importance.

Yeah thats fair. I just think they should look the same or at least very similar.

The CyNick
04-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Think Charlotte is the way to go as well. Just seems like it would fit her character better to have a new belt presented to her. Then have another women do a run in, Page, Naomi, Natayla? Going to be tough not callings them divas anymore though.

It seems like a babyface move though. Banks winning ushers in a new Era in women's sports entertainment.

That said I think Charlotte is the best woman on the roster so I would be fine with her doing it.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-01-2016, 06:13 PM
I would believe it and understand it. From a branding standpoint, Divas means something to WWE, whereas women is not something you can brand really. So I would get the hesitation. At the end of the day I think it's better to draw female fans with athletic rolemodels than just focusing on looks. Looks should continue to be part of the equation, but not the whole thing. A girl like Aska is not going to get over by being the hottest "Diva", she might get over as an ass kicker.

Ah so no matter what Vince does, he is right. Just what I thought.

BigCrippyZ
04-01-2016, 06:44 PM

That's CyNick's whole gimmick, Vince & WWE as a company can do no wrong.

Fignuts
04-03-2016, 06:46 PM
XL is correct. That pic is just someone recoloring the world title in the video game.

"possible rendering" lol

Even if the belts have similarities, I doubt they would just repaint the wwe title. That's just too lolTNA for WWE's standards.

lol well shit.

Still better than the divas title though, so whatever.

Theo Dious
04-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Isn't that just somebody playing with the CAB feature on WWE 2K16? It could end up similar based on the description in the report but I'd be hesitant to call it a "rendering of what the belt might look like".

So kind of spot on in the end?

The CyNick
04-04-2016, 12:26 PM

I thought it was a fair and balanced assessment

RaginRonic
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I had this odd dream vision where I took the old Diva's title and smacked it over the head of a black-haired Charlotte repeatedly....the steel plate being the side I used.

She passed out after about 25 heavy blows.

Then it switched to where I was roaming the streets of a city randomly.

I dunno why.

=P

XL
04-06-2016, 05:46 PM
So kind of spot on in the end?

Yes, but still not a rendering.