PDA

View Full Version : RANTING- TV for kids.

jindrak
05-25-2004, 03:45 PM
I loved the Wonder Years when it was on. The whole concept of growing up, and having narrative on the transition from boyhood to manhood, is a remarkable idea. The DVD that came out for the series was CRAP, so I am hoping that it appears in syndication. It is sad to see that shows like this aren't shown anymore, because it is way better than the garbage on TV for kids. If kids today watched this show, I know they would love it, so why not show it?! I'm sick and tired of these crappy anime shows (i.e Digiman) filling up the after school weekday time-slot. These shows make no sense, and are a stark contrast to the shows I grew up with (Wonder Years, TMNT {still on Fox Box}, Power Rangers {at least before this show had decent storylines, now it is crap}, Boy Meets World, Doogie Howser, and a whole slew of others I cant remember now). I am 19 now, and when I was 7-10 years old, my grandparents would take care of me after school because both my parents worked. Anyways, my grandparents didn't speak English, and I didn't know their native language well, so I really didn't communicate with them too much. Instead I was glued to the TV, and watched syndicated shows like Wonder Years, Happy Days, Doogie Howser, and Saved by the Bell. I can honestly say that these shows, at the time, did shape my way of thinking and views on life, and in a sense I think I matured from watching these programs. HOWEVER, what can I say about the shows on now on the after school time-slot? They suck beyond anything else. Maybe because I am 19, I don't remember the ideology mind-set of a 9 year old, but there is a huge difference in TV programs for kids, as compared to 10 years ago.

I could go on and on about this topic, but I want to get your thoughts, especially your thoughts concerning the TV programs that kids watch now. There are some shows I've caught that are good. Shows like Johnny Bravo I enjoyed, but that is the exception. There is such so much crap kids are inundated with, but hopefully their taste does mature passed YuGioh(sp?).

Boomer
05-25-2004, 04:15 PM
I loved the Wonder Years when it was on. The whole concept of growing up, and having narrative on the transition from boyhood to manhood, is a remarkable idea. The DVD that came out for the series was CRAP, so I am hoping that it appears in syndication. It is sad to see that shows like this aren't shown anymore, because it is way better than the garbage on TV for kids. If kids today watched this show, I know they would love it, so why not show it?! I'm sick and tired of these crappy anime shows (i.e Digiman) filling up the after school weekday time-slot. These shows make no sense, and are a stark contrast to the shows I grew up with (Wonder Years, TMNT {still on Fox Box}, Power Rangers {at least before this show had decent storylines, now it is crap}, Boy Meets World, Doogie Howser, and a whole slew of others I cant remember now). I am 19 now, and when I was 7-10 years old, my grandparents would take care of me after school because both my parents worked. Anyways, my grandparents didn't speak English, and I didn't know their native language well, so I really didn't communicate with them too much. Instead I was glued to the TV, and watched syndicated shows like Wonder Years, Happy Days, Doogie Howser, and Saved by the Bell. I can honestly say that these shows, at the time, did shape my way of thinking and views on life, and in a sense I think I matured from watching these programs. HOWEVER, what can I say about the shows on now on the after school time-slot? They suck beyond anything else. Maybe because I am 19, I don't remember the ideology mind-set of a 9 year old, but there is a huge difference in TV programs for kids, as compared to 10 years ago.

I could go on and on about this topic, but I want to get your thoughts, especially your thoughts concerning the TV programs that kids watch now. There are some shows I've caught that are good. Shows like Johnny Bravo I enjoyed, but that is the exception. There is such so much crap kids are inundated with, but hopefully their taste does mature passed YuGioh(sp?).

Um to an extent you are trying to mix crappiness of values with crappiness of show. Yu-Gi-Oh is quite different from Saved By The Bell, but it still teaches children morals of friendship and comradery. It may not be the best show in the world, but its meant to entertain. That goes for any kids show (Pokemon, Mucha Lucha, all that stuff). I mean cmon we had Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy. I loved those shows, but I mean cmon, what did they teach me besides R-E-C-Y-C-L-E RECYCLE and C-O-N-S-E-R-V-E CONSERVE. It sounds like you just have a grudge on anime-style cartoons, which makes your argument kinda hard to agree with.

I agree with you. I think our TV was better. The Amanda Show sucks worse than anything in the world. But kids change. They are growing up with the Internet and more violence in movies and games and such. Our violence was watching Jesse from SBTB overdose on caffine pills.

Times change. Stuff changes with it.

Kane Knight
05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Kids today would hate the wonder years.

Kids' programming these days is for the most mentally retarded kids out there, and the kid who think that if they watch this retarded shit, they'll be cool (instead of morons).

Boomer
05-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Kids today would hate the wonder years.

Kids' programming these days is for the most mentally retarded kids out there, and the kid who think that if they watch this retarded shit, they'll be cool (instead of morons).

It's all turned to trends. Sorta like what was documented in the Chimpokomon episode. Kyle had to keep buying things just to be like his friends. At work, all the kids wantt to show off their Yu-Gi-Oh cards and simulate duals and such.

It's all in the great plan of Asians to take over the world.

DaveWadding
05-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Kids' programming these days is for the most mentally retarded kids out there,
Appeal to the lowest common denominator?

Kane Knight
05-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Appeal to the lowest common denominator?
Duh?