PDA

View Full Version : 5* Wrestling Announces TV Deal With Spike TV UK

#BROKEN Hasney
01-14-2017, 07:22 AM
Drew Galloway just announced it on Facebook Live, not got a link yet. Kurt Angle will be colour commentary (and no doubt a match once he's rested up)

They've got Rey, Morrison & Carlito wrestling for them, scuttlebutt has it that they're also trying to sign Brit indie guys to contracts that would prevent them from working WWE, WoS or WCPW.

UK scene is insane right now. First show January 28th.

Ruien
01-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Kurt Angle? I am sold.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-14-2017, 11:23 AM
The same company also does 5* wrestling for PS4 which has rip off WWE guys. Themes are kinda awesome though. Here's "Raging" Andy Organ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-AIH28G2YRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2017, 07:12 PM
I actually had a pipe-dream that Kurt Angle would actually do commentary with Jim Ross in 2017 and they would be brilliant together. I hope we get closer to that as a goal.

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2017, 07:20 PM
With this being commissioned by Spike UK, is it likely that it will get on Spike TV in the United States? I haven't been following Lucha Underground and AAA, but aren't Johnny Mundo and Rey Mysterio signed to them? If some sort of deal is worked out between Viacom and AAA, is it possible that we see Lucha Underground moved to Spike TV in the United States and AAA/LU talent used for 5*? I'm thinking that Pentagon, Jr. vs. Fenix would be a hot way to open.

Or am I looking way too much into this?

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2017, 07:23 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A1U9_I08ykI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wonder if Jay Lethal's involvement has to stop. If I were ROH, I would let this go ahead.

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Johnny Mundo became the first-ever 5 Star Wrestling Champion when he defeated AJ Styles. Some relevant contemporary history there. Mundo has beaten PJ Black and Carlito to retain the belt and now it appears Rey Mysterio has answered the open challenge. Mundo vs. Mysterio as the main event of the first show? Um, yes please.

DaveWadding
01-14-2017, 07:32 PM
With this being commissioned by Spike UK, is it likely that it will get on Spike TV in the United States? I haven't been following Lucha Underground and AAA, but aren't Johnny Mundo and Rey Mysterio signed to them? If some sort of deal is worked out between Viacom and AAA, is it possible that we see Lucha Underground moved to Spike TV in the United States and AAA/LU talent used for 5*? I'm thinking that Pentagon, Jr. vs. Fenix would be a hot way to open.

You're looking way too much into this.

Emperor Smeat
01-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Spike TV could probably bring the show to the US if they and/or 5* Wrestling are interested but really doubt they'd be able to use LU stars. Think everyone there is locked into deals where they can't be shown in other companies with tv deals in the US.

WWE has been rumored to want Prince Puma for a while but he's basically locked from WWE shows till early 2018.

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2017, 08:50 PM
It would really benefit some of these smaller companies to work together a lot more often.

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2017, 08:54 PM
Especially given that LU is really struggling to gain that traction it really needs.

Emperor Smeat
01-14-2017, 09:37 PM
To be fair, LU's main problem is a lack of a decent tv deal. They already have a good partnership with AAA for talent.

The tv deal they have with El Rey isn't close at all to solving their money woes while the Mexican tv deal they with AAA can't cover what they are losing.

A potential partnership with 5* Wrestling would benefit 5* a lot more than LU unless they could convince Spike TV to agree to a tv deal with them as well.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2017, 01:26 AM
LU needs to get themselves on somewhere other than El Rey.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-15-2017, 01:32 AM
5* Why not Five Dollar Wrestling? Freight Train! Choo Choo Time!

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-15-2017, 01:33 AM
LU needs to get themselves on somewhere other than El Rey.

They are owned by El Rey aren't they? They aren't a promotion. It's a tv show.

DaveWadding
01-15-2017, 01:42 PM
LU just needs another stream of viewership. El Rey availability is spotty, and they need to get more eyes on the product. The Netflix or other streaming service idea that's been bandied about seems to be the best one.

Cool King
01-15-2017, 04:45 PM
I found out about this yesterday when Galloway came here to announce all this.

I was always planning to go, but I still have to buy my ticket. I'm still recovering from my rib injury and I want to wait and see how I feel next week, as I don't want to buy a ticket now then not be able to use it because I'm still in pain when the day comes.

I'm also still trying to convince a friend to part with his money and come along but if I can't manage it, I'll just go on my own.

It's pretty crazy stuff though. I never thought Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio would ever come here and that a wrestling event with such a good roster would ever be televised from here.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-15-2017, 05:10 PM
I found out about this yesterday when Galloway came here to announce all this.

I was always planning to go, but I still have to buy my ticket. I'm still recovering from my rib injury and I want to wait and see how I feel next week, as I don't want to buy a ticket now then not be able to use it because I'm still in pain when the day comes.

I'm also still trying to convince a friend to part with his money and come along but if I can't manage it, I'll just go on my own.

It's pretty crazy stuff though. I never thought Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio would ever come here and that a wrestling event with such a good roster would ever be televised from here.

... And Carlito!

Cool King
01-15-2017, 06:40 PM
... And Carlito!

https://s30.postimg.org/fb7gckf81/16166_Raw_carlito_pointing_wwe.png

Mr. Nerfect
01-16-2017, 03:41 AM
They are owned by El Rey aren't they? They aren't a promotion. It's a tv show.

It's a promotion owned by a TV station that NEED to get more eyeballs on it because no one has El Rey.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-16-2017, 04:13 AM
LU has been teasing a Netflix deal again. Hopefully they can lull it off.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Damn, didn't realize this would be live too. On top of the guys mentioned, Jay Lethal, PJ Black and Jimmy Havok are going to be on the card as well. Judging by the videos on the site, the main event looks to be Morrison/Lethal/Galloway for the title.

Outsider
01-16-2017, 07:42 PM
God dammit I'm in Sweden when it is on.

I know very little about them but more wrestling on TV is good news.

If they're Scottish based then hopefully they'll tour as well so can get a bit more reach.

Ultimately though, still not exactly on a widely watched channel. If any company manages to get on an ITV, BBC or Channel 4 channel then ultimately then that's going to have a much bigger impact.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-17-2017, 08:13 AM
I honestly had never heard of Spike UK until this news, but it's on Freeview so that's something.

Cool King
01-17-2017, 04:00 PM
If they're Scottish based then hopefully they'll tour as well so can get a bit more reach.

I believe they're a Dundee promotion.

Cool King
01-17-2017, 04:00 PM
This has all apparently kicked off a "turf war" though, with the other Dundee promotion (SWE) that operates in Tayside area.

SWE have a show on the same day and time as 5 Star Wrestling with their biggest name on the card being Grado and he's the only big name on the card too. Their location is a small gym hall in a community centre, whereas 5 Star have Kurt Angle & Co. and the location is a 2,300+ multi-purpose ice rink arena.

5 Star's event will also be televised live, while SWE's event is not televised at all.

I have been to SWE events before and being honest, they're pretty shit. They must have a tiny budget as their locations are always small venues and they only seem to attract one big name at a time, however, they always seem to get Ted DiBiase to appear every August.

I really can't see them being able to compete with 5 Star if 5 Star's event next week is a success, which I think it will be. I think 5 Star could possibly kill off SWE sometime in the future.

Cool King
01-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Just bought my ticket.

I'll be going on my own, but I'm sure I'll still have a great time anyway.

Mr. Nerfect
01-19-2017, 05:36 AM
What is the obsession with Grado? He looks like shit and is an unfunny comedy dude in TNA. Is he super-serious and good in the UK or something?

#BROKEN Hasney
01-19-2017, 06:46 AM
What is the obsession with Grado? He looks like shit and is an unfunny comedy dude in TNA. Is he super-serious and good in the UK or something?

No, but he got himself over via Twitter so he's someone the non-wrestling fans here may have heard of.

He was also one of the main focuses of the two BBC documentaries they did on ICW. I'm not a fan, but he has a place while it's growing.

Cool King
01-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Exactly.

A friend of mind isn't really a wrestling fan but he knows who Grado is and he likes him.

When ICW had their first show here in 2014, I asked my friend if he wanted to come along and he wasn't really that interested, but then he asked if Grado would be there because he had seen the documentary and had been seeing his stuff on the internet and when I said yes, he was all up for going.

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Weird.

Emperor Smeat
01-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Kurt Angle got pulled out from 5* Wrestling shows and related to WWE's UK deals for talent and tv.

Kurt Angle has been pulled from Five Star Wrestling for the show next weekend in Dundee, Scotland. He was going to be a television announcer for the live Spike U.K. broadcast. I figured that was almost a lock to happen for all the obvious reasons.

Cool King
01-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Fuck.

Cool King
01-21-2017, 10:08 AM
It's not been announced by the guys at 5 Star though.

They have just made an announcement about a replacement due to injury.

Mark Haskins is out and his replacement is Moose. :|

Cool King
01-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Also, in other news, I've managed to get two friends to come along after all.

Cool King
01-21-2017, 10:22 AM
The show began being advertised on TV today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JJg1SQ-d658?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Nerfect
01-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Angle being pulled out is not surprising in the slightest.

Cool King
01-22-2017, 09:10 PM
I was a bit surprised.

Rumours of Angle being involved with the WWE in some way was making the rounds on the internet for a while before his Hall of Fame announcement was made, but before it was announced, he was announced as being part of the 5 Star show, so obviously Angle must have been told by the WWE around the time the rumours of his ties with WWE were making the rounds that he couldn't appear for anyone else but yet, he didn't tell the guys at 5 Star this until after he was announced for the show?

I won't lie, I'm pretty disappointed that he won't be there.

Cool King
01-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Anyway, I've just checked the usual Facebook and Twitter and so on and the 5 Star guys still haven't announced that Angle won't be there.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Their video game was the liquid shits. So, you should have doubts about the promotion.

Cool King
01-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Their video game was the liquid shits. So, you should have doubts about the promotion.

Well, I don't think they were aiming for a AAA quality game.

It was created by a development company that don't take themselves too seriously. It's in their name.

I believe the game was just suppose to be a wee bit of harmless fun anyway.

Cool King
01-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Fun Fact: A friend of mine actually worked on the game, even though she knew squat about wrestling.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-22-2017, 09:26 PM
She should apply to 2K.

Cool King
01-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Well, it's official.

The guys at 5 Star announced it yesterday that Angle won't be there.

At 16:04 today I received a call from Kurt Angle's management team confirming the rumours that Kurt will not be commentating on the debut episode of Dominant Wrestling, which airs live on Spike TV at 8pm this Saturday, from the Dundee Ice Arena.

It's a shame but we would like to congratulate Kurt on his Hall of Fame appointment.

Losing a star as respected as Kurt is obviously a blow to us but fortunately he was booked as a commentator rather than a wrestler so it's not like this will make much of a difference to this historic event.

Fans at the Dundee Ice Arena and indeed around the UK, will still get to witness John Morrison issuing an open challenge for his 5 Star Championship and with megastars such as Rey Mysterio, Drew Galloway, Carlito, PJ Black, Nick Aldis and Moose on the show, anything can happen.

Greg Lambert, with his encyclopaedic knowledge of wrestling will still lead the broadcast team as planned.

Surely, Angle (or his team) must have known that he wouldn't be able to call the event.

So why agree to do it?

#BROKEN Hasney
01-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Well, it's official.

The guys at 5 Star announced it yesterday that Angle won't be there.

Surely, Angle (or his team) must have known that he wouldn't be able to call the event.

So why agree to do it?

He probably didn't, in fact, if it wasn't for this WWEUK thing, I bet they would let him keep his existing booking like they normally do.

Kurt said on Austins podcast that he was taking bookings until March, then would be doing something.

Cool King
01-27-2017, 10:00 AM
I finally got my tickets today, but they've accidentally sent me an extra ticket.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-27-2017, 11:50 AM
I finally got my tickets today, but they've accidentally sent me an extra ticket.

Dammit, if only I was randomly in Scotland.

Cool King
01-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Well the show was actually pretty good. I really enjoyed it.

I was actually pretty surprised when Chris Masters showed up as I really wasn't expecting him at all.

Carlito seems to have gotten bigger from the last time I saw him. Seeing him also rekindled my love of the man. I would like to see him back on WWE television but I just know that if he did go back, he'd be treated the same way as Mahal and Hawkins.

The crowd seemed to really be behind Moose. This was really my introduction to the guy as before tonight, I had only seen a video of his TNA debut. The "MOOSE" chant is actually really catchy and I found myself chanting along at times but I think that's probably what had the crowd behind him.

When he lost and was out of the tournament, I feel the boos were pretty much because the crowd knew there would be no more opportunities for Moose chants.

Rey Mysterio was over like hell but that's not really surprising. There were so many kids in Mysterio masks, it was crazy. Along with Drew Galloway, Mysterio got the biggest pop of the night, but to be fair, the pop for Galloway was expected as it is Scotland after all.

John Morrison is much like Carlito. Both were so entertaining tonight and just like Carlito, it would be cool to see Morrison back on WWE television, but he just wouldn't be used correctly if he did go back.

I don't know how the show came across on TV but being there live was great. The place was practically a sell-out but I think it didn't come across like that on TV. Looking at their tron, it looked like there was hardly anyone there. As for the noise of the crowd, I don't know about on TV but live it was pretty noisy.

I would like the find the show somewhere online so I can watch it back and see for myself. I was hoping maybe Spike would show a repeat of it but apparently, that's not happening.

So overall, it was a great show and I'd defintly go back if they return to Dundee.

I'd say it was a 5 Star show.

https://s27.postimg.org/n1fy0zsbn/81_Big_Show_laughing_wwe.jpg

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Would love to see Chris Masters, John Morrison and Carlito all back in the WWE to be honest. Carlito could rally Epico & Primo to stop being such fucking jobbers and complacent with the inherent racism in the WWE system. A feud against The New Day would be hot stuff.

John Morrison should return and reveal that he banged Maryse back in the day and basically do Ric Flair/Randy Savage with the roles reversed. Would be a hot personal feud on the SmackDown side of things. Would be good for the IC Title.

There are very few guys that looked as jacked up as Chris Masters in the WWE today. He was very young when he wasn't very good. With the possibility to work off Wellness strikes, it BAFFLES me that they have not called him. He'd be a pretty wonderful US Champion. He can play up the super-jacked all-American boy. If he gets cheered, great; but if he gets booed, even better. Once Owens wins the US Title off Jericho, Masters would make a good guy to get the belt off Owens.

I have a feeling Drew McIntyre will end up back in the WWE when his TNA contract expires.

Sixx
01-29-2017, 01:33 AM
Fun Fact: A friend of mine actually worked on the game, even though she knew squat about wrestling.

the gameplay i saw seemed pretty accurate. empty arenas and shit.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 03:06 PM
OK, wtaching a chunk of this now. I'm glad the have the same music guys they did on the game. Morrisons theme is pretty legit.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 03:09 PM
YAY CARLITO

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 03:12 PM
lol at no-one knowing who Nick Aldis was. I wonder if they would even if it said Magnus.

Independace shots too.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Morrison V Moose wasn't bad, shame about the rollup and the camera work isn't great.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 04:08 PM
This is a lot better than World of Sport, but 90 minutes for a tournament format with mostly guys who are older on a big payday and not hungry isn't a great mix. Still, Carlito/Rey was a lot of fun. Morrison/Galloway could bring it.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Just read your post Cool King, it's on Channel 5's On Demand app

https://www.my5.tv/dominant-wrestling-live-from-dundee/season-2017/dominant-wrestling-live-from-dundee

#BROKEN Hasney
01-30-2017, 04:33 PM
The final was kind of phoned in.

128 man tournament in the summer in 30 cities could be fun though. Depends who they get.

Outsider
02-01-2017, 08:13 PM
I started to watch it but fell asleep.

It isn't a comment on their show, more just because I'm unemployed and therefore napping is what I do.