PDA

View Full Version : MY TAKE ON THE TITLES

Marc the Smark
05-25-2004, 10:34 PM
After you cast your votes in the first ever "Markies" (thumbs up to PureHatred), come read my take on all the titles in World Wrestling Entertainment.

I'll go title by title explaining the current situation, and whether I think it's good or not, plus perhaps where the title should go from there. Lemme know if you agree or disagree.

WWE Cruiserweight Title
- The cruiserweight division is something near and dear to my heart. Unfortunately, it's repeatedly stomped on and spat at. The group of cruisers employed with the company is possibly some of the most talented in the entire world, yet they fight to get weekly television time. Even when the cruisers are highlighted on Smackdown, it's almost always in a squash match against some 350 pound monster. Perhaps that isn't the best way to highlight the talent - but who am I to tell the professionals how to do their job? I'm just an internet fan you know. Everything is wrong with this division and that includes the title. Your current champion is not even a cruiserweight - Chavo Classic. The father of the man who WAS wearing the gold is now the one wearing it. How long will it last? Can't be too sure. However in the past two weeks here, the gold has gone from Chavo Jr. to Jacqueline to Chavo Jr. to Chavo Classic. Put the gold on Billy Kidman, and give him some matches with London or Mysterio. Then maybe the division will gain some credibility - maybe. Enough said? Mother always told me, if I've got nothing nice to say...

WWE Tag Team Titles
- Smackdown's tag team division is also suffering at the moment. Then again, so is tag team wrestling as a whole. Therefore, it's no surprise that the tag team champions aren't much to boast about. They are another prime example of a makeshift odd couple, who just happen to win the gold in some fluke match. Honestly, Rico and Charlie Haas are turning out to be an interesting pair, but there's no way they should be parading around with the gold right now. This whole division is in shambles right now and seeing as the cruisers aren't doing anything I say pair a few of them up. Make them into formidable teams and have them chase the titles. There's plenty of talent on the roster (and I'm not referring to Hardcore Holly), so it's a mystery to me as to why they aren't being used. What we need is a tag team boom period (ala the E&C/Hardyz/Dudleyz), much like the one we had in '99 and '00. We need to see some great teams that can really 'go' (and a lengthy title reign for one of those teams wouldn't necessarily hurt either). I'd recommend pairing up Kidman and London. They wrestle a similar style and have the same finisher. That's enough to build 'em up, give 'em the gold, and hey following that they can fight each other over who the REAL owner of the shooting star press is. Regardless, we need teams, we need a proper division, the value of these titles at the moment rank right up there with the value of my last meal - $5.63. Not a whole lot folks!

WWE United States Championship
- I think we've got a contender for the ugliest championship out of the whole bunch. That aside, the current champion is fan favorite John Cena. Given his popularity, I'd say he's worthy of the run, and I'm glad to see he's getting some fresh opposition (Rene Dupree). Prolonging this feud until Summerslam (after giving Rene the gold at The Great American Bash) with the feud culminating with Cena regaining the gold would make for a memorable feud with each man getting the upper hand and a notable title reign. The only complaint I really have in regard to this is that Cena is starting to get bland and seemingly repetitive. It's all down to the FCC and Smackdown being a family show - I'm well aware. Thing is, Cena's character thrives on those impressive raps and mic ability that he can't flaunt properly on the floundering Smackdown brand. The championship itself though? It's being fought over by two worthy adversaries that I'm going to deem the future of this company. There's really nothing wrong with that. The US title is serving it's purpose as that stepping stone to the next level. And I'm ending this one on a positive note folks - whoo hoo!

WWE Title
- No complaints about the man currently wearing the gold around his waist. His adversary at the moment is less than desirable however John "Bradshaw" Layfield has silenced a few of his critics with his recent performance at Judgment Day. Myself, I still don't find him totally convincing as a main event star - but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. What other main eventers are there on Smackdown for Eddie to go up against at the moment? Booker? Sorry suckas, but I can't dig that. giving this feud another month and another PPV main event is probably best. Bradshaw has the upper hand as a result of his disqualification victory at the last PPV and it didn't take anything away from the champion - Eddie G. This feud isn't too bad and it's keeping the gold on a rather entertaining Guererro for a few extra months. Following the program what's in store for our beloved WWE Champ? I'd expect that Edie is going to enter into a program with a returning Big Show or possibly Booker T. To be honest I'm not looking forward to either of them, providing Eddie is still wearing the gold though, we know we'll be getting quality promos, matches, and product - so once again no complaints for me in regard to where this title is. And now moving onto the Raw side of things...

Women's Championship
- For anyone that read my last column, you know what my take of this division is. It's irrelevant. Their champion (Victoria) is a laughing stock as far as I'm concerned. Her opposition isn't much better either. We've got Molly "The Bald Eagle" Holly and Gail "I used to be from Toronto but now I'm from Asia" Kim. The matches are boring, the storylines (when they bother incorporating any) are almost always brutal and the women can't seem to find what little acting ability they must have. If I said this division was a disappointment it would be the understatement of the year. There are plenty of people out there who are going to disagree with me, and that's fine. If the women's division is entertaining to you... well... that's good because it means you're easily amused. I view this title and this division as a sideshow for the REAL show which resumes after the ladies are finished rolling around the mat. No prolonged title reigns or new champions are going to save this division. It's a lost cause. Scrap the division.

World Tag Team Championships
- When did makeshift tag teams winning the gold in their first match together suddenly become a trend? I've got nothing against Edge and Chris Benoit but it's beyond me why they are champs right now. This division (much like the one over on Smackdown) is in need of some solid and permanent tag teams not only competing for, but wearing the tag gold. These titles are fairly worthless too - maybe not quite as worthless as the Smackdown titles, but they are well on their way. Between Evolution combination tag teams and Edge and Benoit I'm really not sure what I would like done with these belts. I wouldn't mind seeing a match down the line sometime in July with these guys defending the straps (preferably) against an up and coming heel tag team. Then having Edge turn his back on Benoit costing them the tag team titles. That or just turning on him outside of the ring thus making the tag gold vacant - can anyone say tag team title tourney? Something needs to be done to shake up this division. Until I see some fresh new tag teams, that's about all I can suggest. I'm fine with whose holding the gold, but the super team trend needs to be stopped before it gets worse.

Intercontinental Championship
- It's becoming increasingly evident that WWE executives are paying extra close attention to their top tier talents and titles rather than their lower card. It's great that the main event and semi-main event is getting that attention though - so I won't complain. Much like the Smackdown brand and the US title, the Intercontinental title is being used to build up the talent of tomorrow. Randy Orton is currently being pushed as the longest reigning Intercontinental champion is the last seven years. For those of you that aren't aware that reign is sitting at about six months. It'd be nice if Orton could retain the gold until Summerslam - but it's really difficult to tell what the plan of action is at this moment in time. He and his current adversary Shelton Benjamin are Raw's version of the superstars of tomorrow and there's no telling of how hot this feud is going to get. There's a good chance that Benjamin could dethrone Orton at Bad Blood, but for my money their red hot feud should be drawn out over the course of the summer culminating in a ladder match victory for Shelton at Summerslam. My opinion of the IC title? It's being used EXACTLY the way it should be. Job well done by WWE this time around.

World Heavyweight Championship
- It's still hard for me to fathom that they actually made Benoit the World Champ - but they did! And I was there to see it happen! He made Triple H tap!!! Well, Benoit's not the most charismatic superstar out there, but he's got the ring skills to pick up the slack. Since becoming champion, he's been in top form, competing against HBK and HHH in four star triple threat matches. Now he's got Kane for Bad Blood. I'm confident that Benoit will defeat Kane and move along to his next opponent. Whoever that will be, is a mystery to me. I'd prefer seeing Chris Jericho or (as I mentioned earlier) Edge. There really isn't much wrong with where the World title is right now. If I had to complain about one thing it would be Benoit's lack of main events on television. It seems that Triple H and Shawn Michaels are still getting a little more spotlight than Raw's championship leader Chris Benoit. The man is on fire and holding TWO championships. He's serving them both well in my opinion. Time will tell what else is in store for this title, but for the time being all is well.

James Steele
05-26-2004, 12:15 AM
You Aren't Telling Us Anything We Don't Already Kno....

(gunshot heard)

Marc the Smark
05-26-2004, 01:58 AM
You Aren't Telling Us Anything We Don't Already Kno....

(gunshot heard)

I know, but I had to say it anyway.

Sensei Of Mattitude
05-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Make Eugene WWE and World Heavyweight Champion and then I'll be happy. Also, Matt Hardy becomes the WWE International World Champion = MASSIVE RATINGS.

Wondermouse
05-26-2004, 02:47 AM
Kidman's boring. He only ever got over because of Raven and his shooting star press.

Just let the cruisers wrestle ike cruisers and give them a few feuds, then you'll give the belt credibility again.

Kane Knight
05-26-2004, 02:51 AM
Unfortunately, most of the belts are a total joke right now.

Mikey
05-26-2004, 02:58 AM
The United States title hasnt been worth a crap since Eddie Guerrero held it

Batsu
05-26-2004, 04:25 AM
I agree on many points, except the Women's Title being irrelevant. To scrap that division would be highly defeatist; it's in a similar state as the CW division, which I don't believe should be scrapped, either. I mean, if you watched WWE in 1998-1999, a lot of those matches were 100% crap. That's when that division was as much of a joke as you put it. The SLs...need work. I don't know what they're doing with Victoria, though she is the most interesting champion they've had in a while. I'm just glad they're actually wrestling. The matches do need an injection of some Benoit-style aggression though.

The CW title...why it's languishing is one hundred percent dung as far as I'm concerned. All that talent, and we don't even so much as see them on the main show (Smackdown). If you want to see a real CW match nowadays, you've gotta tune into Velocity. WTF? It's in the same state as the women's division, for most of the same reasons. Scrapping it would be defeatist, as that'd nix one reason to watch Smackdown.

Agreeance in most to the rest of this post. More Benoit on RAW while he's got the title...

On the other hand, if you want to be completely cynical (or realistic) about it, like Kane Knight said, all the titles are on joke status for various reasons:

Women's: Not developed enough, a small circle of competitors, languishing SLs. (Though Molly playing the '02 Angle role is kind of funny)

CW: Not developed enough, no matches on SmackDown, repression of talent.

ALL tag team titles: Not enough actual teams, more mish-mash tandems.

IC: Currently in the best shape, but seems to be taking a back seat to its holder. Not defended often.

US: Lack of shown challengers, until recently not defended often.

WWE: Lack of opponents at the main-event level for champion.

World: The champion is hardly even shown on TV. WTF?

John la Rock
05-26-2004, 05:16 PM
You forgot about Kurt Angle as a challenger for the WWE title. I think that as soon as Angle returns to wrestling he will beat Eddie for the title. Their feud is not over IMO. Also as Cynick mentioned on another thread, Rob Van Dam could feud with Eddie in a face vs face feud which will eventually lead to RVD turning heel and winning the title in the progress