PDA

View Full Version : Jump the Shark episodes

Supreme Olajuwon
05-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Ok so you know how a lot of TV series start off really good but then have a really shitty episode and then everything starts to suck, that episode is called the jump the shark episode. Its a reference to a Happy Days episode where Fonzy jumps over a shark on water skis and every episode after it sucked dick and the show eventually was cancelled

So what IYO was a jump the shark episode for a series? For example, Saved By the Bell's was when they went to college

The Icon of Elisim
05-27-2004, 11:22 PM
That episode of the Simpsons when we find out that Principal Skinner is Armin Tamzarian

According to Jim's first episode

ColdwaVer
05-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah, it's kinda the moment where you suddenly realize that the show isn't good anymore and they're just pulling stuff out of their butt. There's actually http://www.jumptheshark.com where they have discussions for your opinions on various shows.

Really funny part is that "Ted McGinley joins the cast" is an accepted "jump the shark" indicator.

Supreme Olajuwon
05-27-2004, 11:55 PM
lol

da_king
05-28-2004, 12:44 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
lol that site's pretty cool. i can't really think of any jump the shark examples off-hand but usually introducing a child actor is a pretty good indication of things going downhill.

</font>

Boondock Saint
05-28-2004, 12:58 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
lol that site's pretty cool. i can't really think of any jump the shark examples off-hand but usually introducing a child actor is a pretty good indication of things going downhill.

</font>

Definitely

Azriel
05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Rachel getting pregnant on Friends
Brady Bunch: Oliver
Different Strokes: Mr. Drummond gets married and gets a young annoying stepson in the process
Married With Children: Seven character
Mork and Mindy: I forgot the name of their baby, plus them getting married

AareDub
05-28-2004, 01:30 AM
In one simpsons episode they did a clip show, then at the end there was a music montage apologizing for making a clip show. They actually put a pic in there of Homer jumping a shark on water skis, I don't think I've laughed so hard since then. It's like they were admitting it.

I think the Armin Tamzarian episode is a pretty good candidate for when they actually jumped the shark.

On Friends I can't pick a particular episode, but I'd say its when Joey went from being clumsy/goofy to being really really stupid.

Shaggy
05-28-2004, 01:46 AM
When they said Skinner really wasnt Skinner on Simpsons

When they brought in Seven on Married With Children

I love the episode of Family Guy that they did to make fun of the whole Jump the Shark thing when the Apocalypse happened.

YOUR Hero
05-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Jumping the Shark, I've always loved that expression. Can’t think of anything off the top of my head, mainly because shows "jump the shark" early for me. 1, 1 1/2 seasons of a show is about all I can take personally of anything

El Santo
05-30-2004, 02:18 AM
FYI if you check the "Jump the Shark" site, "The Simpsons" is listed as one of the handful of shows that never jumped the shark.

While the Arman Tanzarian episode was crap, but one bad episode hardly means that the show had derailed. Every show has crappy episodes now and again, but "Simpsons" is the kind of show that manages to endure because the characters don't age, and because they hire some of the best writers in the industry. (The was a time when I thought I could never rewatch anything Seasons 8-13, but damn if I still don't watch 'em religiously on reruns.)

As for my Jump the Shark episode: X-Files, when they killed off Cigarette Smoking Man.

Requiem
05-30-2004, 02:52 AM
When the original hosts were replaced on The Man Show.

Big Vic
08-21-2019, 09:12 AM
The jump the shark moment for me in "The Walking Dead" was this moment:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PQdpEdyNICg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You already killed 2 of his men, your goal was to Kill Negan so just do it already..... Makes no sense I'm checking out.

Destor
08-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Glen cliffhanger where they left him under the dumpstee or the 2nd who'd negan kill cliffhanger

Big Vic
08-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Glen cliffhanger where they left him under the dumpstee or the 2nd who'd negan kill cliffhanger

Ahh I remember hearing about that bait n switch, I didn't have cable at the time so I knew it was a hoax when I binged it.

Seanny One Ball
08-22-2019, 10:57 AM
The entirety of season 7 of Walking Dead was a shark jump. They took an incredible show and turned it into daytime TV.
Utter crap.

Big Vic
08-28-2019, 12:12 PM
I gave up on better call Saul when he was able to talk Tuco out of killing those 2 skaters

Sixx
09-04-2019, 02:51 AM
Rachel getting pregnant on Friends
Brady Bunch: Oliver
Different Strokes: Mr. Drummond gets married and gets a young annoying stepson in the process
Married With Children: Seven character
Mork and Mindy: I forgot the name of their baby, plus them getting married

I threw that out of my head.