PDA

View Full Version : RECAP: Vince McMahon on "Off the Record"

Marc the Smark
06-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Vince said that Bret Hart will indead be fully involved in the much discussed Bret Hart DVD. It will be done along the same lines of Ultimate Ric Flair. He also said that himself and Shane met with Bret after Lansberg asked him. Don’t know if he was talking about the meeting they had on the day RAW was in Calgary after Backlash or they met over this past weekend.

After a break Lansberg asked why Beniot and Jericho’s hometown’s were change and why Christian was still from Toronto. Vince said it was done to try and gain Beniot and Jericho more popularity. He beleive’s that they weren’t popular because he said American fans don’t like Canadians. So they made the change, he said Christian was still from T.O. because he’s a heel. We’ve discussed that the theroy they had was Face = USA and Heels = Canada. He said the same applied when they come to Canada and babyfaces who were born in the USA(ie Michaels) get treated like heels. He manage however to change his meaning in midsentence and said when a USA born face wrestled a Canadian. Lansberg said something about Edge from Tampa and Vince corrected him and said Edge is still announced from Toronto. He said he was not trying to hide the fact that Beniot and Jericho were from Canada, he said that he was proud that Beniot was born in Montreal and raised in Edmonton and that it does and will always be mention when someone is talking about him. He said he wished he lived in Canada and that he loved it in Canada. He said this after Lansberg made a smartass comment about not wanting to live in the USA. I hope that makes some sense.

Lansberg asked about Austin, his leaving and how their relationship currently was. Vince said that the WWE and Austin parted on good terms and that it was Austin who decided to leave. Vince said that Austin wanted to be remembered for his in-ring accomplishments and if he couldn’t wrestle no more then why stay. Lansberg asked about the disagreement over the “Stone Cold” name. Vince said that they did have meetings about it but that Austin’s attorney wanted all the rights for it without Vince getting any money. So the meetings broke down, he also said he hated Austin’s attorney. Lansberg mentioned that the same thing had happened with the Rock using his WWE name for movies and that Rock brought the rights from Vince. Vince quickly corrected Lansberg and said that they worked out a lisencing agreement for the name. Which I gather Rock pays Vince a certain ammount of money whenever he makes a movie.

Lansberg then brought up Vince’s health and how the WWE is now a puplic that share holders must worry about what the WWE’s future would be if Vince kicked the bucket. Vince said he was in perfect health, “healthy as a horse” as how he put it. He said that with his life style he could die tomorrow, unlikely but that the future of the WWE would be fine. He said that if he did die that his son Shane, daughter Stephanie and son in law Triple H would do a good job running the WWE. He said that he does so many different things in the company, or as he put it “I wear so many different hat’s” he felt that no one person alone could handle what he does with out failing. He said it would take 2 people, one to handle the creative side(Steph) and the other to handle the business side(Shane). He said that Steph was already head of the creative department. He mentioned that she has been at his side for a number of years learning from him, he also said that he first thought she wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure but she proved him wrong and is doing a excellent job.

Lansberg asked what Triple H would do if Vince did die. He said he is your son in law after all. Vince said that Triple H is a very intelligent man who has a great understanding of the wrestling business. He said Triple H understands what makes and doesn’t make a great match, that he works great with all talent and he understands makes a good storyline and where talent should be placed on a card. He also said Triple H had a great understanding on the production side of a wrestling show and he knows how to take everything from the production, booking, scriptes, talent and where match’s should be on the card and put it all together making it into a great show. He also said that there was a plan already made on who would take over the different jobs he does in case of his death. But that he isn’t going anywhere yet because he’s again in great health and his hobby is weight lifting so he also in great physical shape also.

Lansberg asked what Vince’s current relationship was with Hulk Hogan and Bill Goldberg. He might have said another name but I didn’t catch it. Vince said he was on good terms with Goldberg and he was on good terms with Hogan also.Lansberg then brought up that neither was in the WWE, then asked what went wrong when Vince and Goldberg were in negotiations about a new contract. Don’t quote me on this is my memory isn’t to clear about his response. Vince said they couldn’t come to terms and negotiations fell apart. On the subject of Hogan Vince said that he got a phone call recently, well a voice message on which Hogan said to tell Vince that he was back in shape, he was fully recovered from the hip surgery, he was also benching more weight then he ever has and he wanted to come back to work. Not sure if he was telling the truth or just joking.

About half way through the show just before a commercial break Lansberg put one or two emails that have been sent in to a guest on the show that night. He did the same on this show also and one email that was sent in was awesome. Don’t know who sent it in but it went something like this: Vince, When are you going to shape up SmackDown, because it roster is thinner then Hogan’s hairline. That is kinda how it went. It made me laugh and Lansberg was cracking up to, this kinda what Vince’s reaction He covered his mouth well taking a deep breath and tried his hardest not to laugh.

After writting all this I realized that this was basically the whole show. Excellent interview as Vince didn’t do what Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff(during 2nd appearance) and tippy toe around the questions.

For those in Canada Vince also sat down for an interview with one of the reporters from the Score. The discussion once again reminded me of the concern with Vince. It’s not what he means but how he phrases it and the tone he uses.

Questioned about the state of Smackdown he refused to admit that it was a secondary show but just was defensive in saying that it offers a wider variety of in-ring styles and that the difference between being live and post-produced may account for the ratings rather than having less high-tier talent.

When asked about having former stars and the recent glut of deaths and whether the WWE has a counselling and development program to assist former talent once they have left the business, he again was defensive and blaimed the deaths on the rock star life prevalent in the 1980’s. He stated that the less demanding road schedule and the professionalism of the current roster (he used the word superior people which shows that he needs to self-censor himself) as signs that is not needed. He sad when in the 1980’s the roster went to bars now they go online or read books after the show.

At times his ego and bluster shields him from taking a more effective and reasonable look at the obligations of the company and the under-performing nature of his product brands.

John la Rock
06-02-2004, 11:39 PM
I watched both interviews. Both were very good. I wished they talked about the state of Chris Jericho and why he's not main-eventing

The CyNick
06-02-2004, 11:48 PM
He'd bring up the fact that Jericho has already been a top guy (he main evented Wrestlemania X-8 apparently), and they'd say they need him to elevate some of the new guys like Christian.

But yeah both interviews were good, interesting what he said about steroids, basically saying its cool for his guys to use them.

The best part was that he seemed to be saying he's finished with the big name guys coming in for one shot here or there. Which is good news, because they should be focusing on the younger talent and creating new stars.

Zen v.W.o.
06-02-2004, 11:51 PM

Watched it myself.

A Bret Hart dvd would blow every other DVD away easily.

But what I wanted more info on was if Bret could actually come back at least one more time..c'mon, nobody will stop asking about this till the Hitman steps into that ring and gives everone what they want to see. Bret, don't worry about your credibility and your rep..everyone with half a brain realizes it wouldn't be wrong of you to appear one last time and get a proper send-off.

Last time I saw Bret live was at the screwjob, and that ain't how I wanna see his final wwf moments go down.

big_bluto
06-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Vince is a di</>ck

He said that Steph was already head of the creative department. He mentioned that she has been at his side for a number of years learning from him, he also said that he first thought she wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure but she proved him wrong and is doing a excellent job.
The same women who is single-handedly killing Smackdown?

Questioned about the state of Smackdown he refused to admit that it was a secondary show but just was defensive in saying that it offers a wider variety of in-ring styles and that the difference between being live and post-produced may account for the ratings rather than having less high-tier talent.
Nothing to do with the horrendous writing, the rosters being loaded on RAW, but thin on Smackdown, the CW title being devalued, talent getting buried on a regular basis, etc?

He said Triple H understands what makes and doesn’t make a great match, that he works great with all talent and he understands makes a good storyline and where talent should be placed on a card. He also said Triple H had a great understanding on the production side of a wrestling show and he knows how to take everything from the production, booking, scriptes, talent and where match’s should be on the card and put it all together making it into a great show.
HHH?
The only thing he knows is how to hold a main event spot forever, how to push his buddies, and how to bury multiple-rosters.
So yes, I agree that he probably does have a great understanding of all of that. The problem is he uses it for his own gain.

Why didn't anyone ask him when HHH is gonna bugger off and do his movie?

PureHatred
06-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Great recap. Personally, I think this should be archived just a a point of reference for the next time some Triple H/Vince argument breaks out.

I pretty much agree with everything big_bluto said. I've said it before, but with Shane becoming more and more the 'businessman,' it's starting to look like Triple H will be running the company when Vince retires or 'dies.' (kinda morbid how the interviewer kept hitting on that :wtf: )

big_bluto
06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Red Hot Scott again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PureHatred again.

:wtf:

Corkscrewed
06-03-2004, 02:38 PM
That recap sounded a lot like smark fodder to me. At least he's being honest (well, except for the Canadian part, where he came off like a pompous ass, but whatever).