PDA

View Full Version : De La Hoya

Bull
06-03-2004, 11:25 PM
This guy has to be insane to want to take on Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins. Granted Oscar is a good boxer, but I personally feel he is going to get the beating of his life if he goes through with this match. Thoughts?

Ogen
06-03-2004, 11:53 PM
De La Hoya's a fantastic boxer I can't see him failing to hold his own.

Rob
06-05-2004, 09:30 AM
I can totally see him holding his own.

Let's see if they beat their respective opponents tonight though. Hopkins might be in for the busier night too.

Rob
06-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Hopkins performance was a joke. Even he admitted he was thinking a fight ahead.

Personally I thought De La Hoya got the decision. It was tight and his defence all night was sh</>ite but aside from being caught by a ton of jabs, he didn't look in trouble. He threw all the combinations and looked the more attack minded fighter. Definately wasn't the screwjob some are calling it (the British announcers have went totally over the top).

I think he needs another fight at middleweight before Hopkins. Either that or drop back a weight.

DegenerationY
06-11-2004, 06:06 PM
I hope De La Hoya gets his face pounded in on principle alone.

His career has always been about not getting hit in the face because he feels he's too pretty to be a boxer.

I hope he breaks his nose.

Rob
06-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Sorry but that is pure bullsh</>it. His career has been the opposite. People admired him because he was a good looking guy who was willing to take punches to the face. You can not doubt the man's record. For you to even come away with a comment like that makes me wonder if you have seen more than one De La Hoya fight. Nobody in their right mind can doubt the man. There are just some people in the boxing would you have to respect whether you like them or not. World championships at 6 weights is simply amazing. He'll be the outsider going into the Hopkins fight but I think if he actually drops some weight and goes in there looking to throw combination atter combination and gets his defence right (it's usually great but was awful against Sturm) then he has a very good chance.

DegenerationY
06-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Rob, I wish I could find a hard-copy for you to look at, but a couple years ago, he actually said in an interview that his heart was never in the sport of boxing and that he didn't like to get hit in the face because he felt he was too good looking (or something to that effect, i can't say that's exactly what he said verbatim).

Soon after, he came out with his shitty pop music cd that bombed horribly.

I will try to find the interview, and you don't have to believe me, but he said something super similar to that...

I will say that he put a great fight up against his longtime friend Shane Moseley a couple years ago. I haven't seen a whole lot of his fights to be perfectly honest, but some of his fights that I have seen, he looked flat and the fights were generally uninteresting.

But yeah...

Rob
06-13-2004, 09:41 AM
When I hear it, I'll believe it. I've beenw watching him for 10 years and I've only seen him have one bad fight and that was this one. If winning titles isn't motivation then every other boxer out there should be embarrassed that his guy with no heart in the sport is a bonafide legend. I don't think you can be as great as De Lay Hoya is without having the heart.

Hired Hitman
06-15-2004, 11:02 AM
De La Hoya is one of the ONLY boxers I follow ( their matches, not all but I like hearing/reading about his fights)