PDA

View Full Version : Scot's golf game June 2/04

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Hole#1
Par 5, 485 yards.

Tee shot slices off the fairway, drive’s distance was decent however.
Second shot, a fairway wood, a gamble, as I’m in light rough. Pounded it! Great second shot, left with a 20 yard pitch shot
Third shot, short pitch ball ends up 8 feet from the hole. I am pleased.
Fourth shot, a birdie attempt, great start to the round. Shot is on line and... Short.
Fifth shot, a tap in for par.

Recap; somewhat disappointing, as a birdie is missed. However a par, is nothing to be upset at, especially when it’s me. Shot #2, and #3 were the high lights of this opening hole.

MoRcHeEbA
06-04-2004, 02:21 AM
did you wear knickers and knee socks

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Hole #2
Par 3, 129 yards.

After pacing off the tee box from the hole marker, it is clear the hole is playing 125 yards, pin center left of the green.

Shot #1, 7 iron on a tee. The shot looked nice it was up high but drifting slightly to the right of the green.
Second shot is a 8 yard pitch from just off the fringe. Terrible, overshot the pin and left with a long 20 foot put.
Read the green, set up for the shot, let it go, will be par if it goes in…. Looking good, but no luck, another 2 feet to go.
Fourth shot a no brainer tap in.

Recap: No complaints. Had a decent feel for the hole, too bad the pitch was misread. Feeling good about things so far.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:24 AM
did you wear knickers and knee socks

No mame

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Hole #3
Par 4, 373 yards

This is a tough hole, you have a huge dog leg left and there is a long drive needed to even have a chance at a decent score. The green is uphill dramatically.

Pull out the trusty driver, line myself up and Bam, decent drive down the middle.
Second shot is about 125 yards away, all uphill, flag is placed to the back edge of the green. Go with a 6 iron, take the shot. Shot. Dammit, should of went with the 5 iron.
Third shot is a pitch no more that 30 yards away. Been practicing my pitch a lot lately. Lets hope it pays off. Land the ball on the green, but the distance to the hole is huge.
Putting for par, can’t complain really. Opeing three holes and I’m putting for par on all of them. Short was wide of the hole by 6 feet. Pretty good considering where I was.
Fifth shot, for bogey, got to be careful, this is a tricky green. Focus is needed. Phew! Holed it.

Recap; Tough hole, getting a 5 on here is an accomplishment for me. Usualyy get a 7 on this one.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:35 AM
to be continued...

<font size=1>maybe</font>

PureHatred
06-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Honestly, this is pretty engrossing. Type faster.

Oh, and what's your handicap, so I have an idea of how good you're doing.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:43 AM
I'm too tired to go on tonight. I've got a bit of a head cold and it's a struggle to even think this back. I'll go an tommorow.

As for handicap I don't know. Since I'm not a member, I haven't been issued one and I don't know the formula.

This course is a par 72 and I'm happy to be in the mid 90's. I tend to break 100-103 a lot. However I've been working on my pitch shot/short game. 75% of one's shots occur here.

I'll do two more holes for you tonight :heart:

PureHatred
06-04-2004, 02:46 AM
If you're sick, go to bed. I'll be OK. Can go play some Tiger Woods golf on the PS2.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 02:53 AM
Hole #4
Par 4, 388 yards

Wide open hole, large fairway with some rolling hills, as is common with much of this course.

First shot, once again will be the driver. I picked a pot to aim at in the middle of the fairway. Took the shot and missed my mental target, a hook into the rough, nothing terrible, but nothing to be happy about.
The second shot, a long 180 or so, from the rough. Go with a 3 iron, not going to get it there even if I nail it, but it’s the shot I must take from here. It’s a poor shot. Back onto the fairway, but still 70 yards to go.
Third shot will be a pitching wedge, as always this club gets the most use except for perhaps the putter. The shot was short. Too tentative.
The fourth shot will be another pitch, no need to put this club away as I stroll up to the ball. This time, I put it on the green, however too much thought was still on the previous shot (excuses excuses) Left with a longer than desired putt.
Long putt, uphill, to the shot and what do you know it just about went in, finally a bright spot on this fourth hole.
The last shot, my 6th, a double bogey is a mere 8 inch tap in.

Recap; Best to forget the drive and the second shot. Both were miss hits. Still, a 6 is what I would normally make on a par 4 so I’m feeling confident in myself today.

Y2Ant
06-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Did you lose any balls :shifty:

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Hole #5
Par 3, 139 yards

This hole, while short in distance has a pond right in front of the green and the pin placement today is 5 feet from the edge of said green. A person has a great view of it all, as you are well above the hole at the tee box.

Going to go with a 6 iron on my tee shot. Aiming right at the pin. Swing through the ball, it’s a beauty, high and right at the pin. OMG, I’ve put it left and 10 feet from the hole. My first birdie attempt to follow...
Second shot a putt, nice and flat, no break, should be an easy birdie. Things are great.
Yet here I am typing about a third shot… I’ve pulled my birdie attempt, just enough to leave myself cursing. A tap in for par.

Recap; An awesome tee shot, I wished I made that birdie though. 5 holes done can’t complain though I’ve been putting for par on four of them.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 03:02 AM
to be continued...

<font size=1>maybe</font>

Y2Ant
06-04-2004, 03:05 AM
what goes putt putt putt putt putt

Scot Cochrane on the green :(

PureHatred
06-04-2004, 03:20 AM
Yeah..your short game sounds decent. Just need to work on the putting.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Hole #6
Par 4, 430 yards.

To the right, a forest of trees. To the left, way left, the same thing. Left side is also sloped to the right. This hole plays right.

My first shot, a Driver from the tee is supposed to go down the middle and long. Too bad it was short and right.
Second shot isn’t out of the bush surprisingly, it’s a 240 yard or so shot from the rough. With 3 iron in hand I let fly a mediocre shot that at least puts me back in the middle, but short.
The third shot will be an 8 iron as I’m, at my calculation, 115 yards from the green. The shot came up short of the green by 20 yards.
Fourth shot will be a pitch, looks like I’m not going to make par. My shot has been long. Finally a long shot on this hole, too bad it’s at the worst time.
Fifth shot is a long long bogey putt. If I can get it within 6 feet I’ll be very happy.
The sixth shot is a nice easy 2 foot tap in, read the green’s slopes and swales perfectly on the last shot.

Recap; A double bogey, damn this hole is hard on me. But I can take two positives out of of this hole. 1)No lost balls in the forest and 2) a beautiful putt almost sunk a 50 footer.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Hole #7
Par 4, 267 yards.

This is a short par 4, but in front of the green is a huge waste bunker. Most people think they can reach the green with a drive only to find themselves losing a ball in said waste bunker.

First shot, what the hell I’m going against my instinct to lay up, and I’m going for it. I hit a great drive but it’s not 255 yards like it would need to be…
Second shot, from the waste bunker, luckily it’s sitting there looking pretty as it’s in the one and only clear patch. A pitch to the green is the plan.
Third shot is a pitch from the fringe. :nono: came up short on the second shot to the green as I hoped.
This green slopes from the top to the bottom into the waste bunker so I plan on pitching this hard… I did, but it’s still not hard enough, I was too tentative.
My fourth shot is for par, but it’s a difficult shot uphill and to the right. The putt was actually pretty good, didn’t go in but it was within 3 feet.
Fifth shot, a tap in for bogey.

Recap; Gambled on the drive and got lucky, however I wasn’t able to capitalize on it. Missed a great opportunity. However when I was setting up for my second shot I found 6, count them 6 golf balls, all in great shape in the waste bunker.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Hole#8
Par 5, 518 yards.

Now this is a tough hole, longest on the course and full of rolling hills. It’s not until after your second shot that you see the pin.

First shot, a driver of course, just hoping to put it down the middle. And so it was, a decent drive a good 230ish down the right side middle.
Second shot will be my fairway wood. Not very comfortable with this club, but here we go. Still can’t see the green, not sure where the pin is, so best to just drive it middle again. Nice drive! Wow, a good 200 yards or so. Best drive ever with that club.
Third shot will be a long pitching wedge, something like 70-80 yards, pin is on the front of the green. A good shot, no complaints, in fact par 5’s have always given me a rough time due to the second shot. I’m left with a fringe pitch shot.
Fourth shot, from the fringe area, maybe 10 yards. Shot lands on the green, nothing great, but it’s a par putt so I won’t complain too loud.
Fifth shot, for par, have a good chance at it, easy enough green to read. Wasn’t to be.
Sixth shot, for bogey is a 3 foot tap in.

Recap: First two shot were great; best ever fairway wood shot I can recall taking. Think I’ll use this club with more confidence now.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Hole#9
Par 4, 458 yards.

Long par 4, I find this to be the toughest par 4 on this course.

First shot will be the driver, good old driver, been good to me today. Nice drive a little bit short, but otherwise happy happy joy joy.
Second shot, lets try this fairway wood again. Nice. Was asking a lot out of the club due to a shortish drive, but it was decent. Left with a 60 yard pitch shot.
Third shot, the pitching wedge, this green slope back and right and the pin is high and left. Tough hole position. Ball lands just below the hole, looks good.
As I walk up, I see that my shot has continued to to roll away away away. Not cool.
Fourth shot for par but it’s turned into a long putt. The putt was close, man I almost put it in.
Fifth shot, another 2 foot tap in.

Recap: Great hole. Ok, the drive wasn’t long, but every shot was decent, had bad luck with the third shot rolling as much as it did.

9 Hole recap: A 46 score, this is awesome for me. Yes, it’s 10 over par but if I keep this up, I’ll shoot a 92, that would be my best round on this course ever. 7 holes I’ve been putting for par, that is unheard of for me… Too bad I didn’t sink any other than the one in which I was also birdie putting.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Hole#10
Par 5, 456 yards.

After a short break in the clubhouse, I’m ready to get back out there.
First shot will be the Driver, hoping to keep it straight. I did, in fact that might have been my best drive of the day.
Second shot, my new favourite club, the fairway wood, feeling good just thinking of using it. Bazing! Nice. Although the shot plays into a blind, I feel when I get to the other side of the hill I’ll find it in great position.
Third shot, 60-yard pitch, feeling good, if I put this on the green, I’ll be putting for par. Fuck. Duffed it. This isn’t cool.
Fourth shot, 40 odd yards away, god damn that third shot, need to put that out of my mind. Holy fuck (same words I used on the course) that just about went in, it can’t be more than a foot from the hole.
Fifth shot, for par, Yes!

Recap: Hate to dwell on the third shot, so I won’t. Got me a par, my second of the day and this one on a par 5 to boot.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Hole#11
Par 3, 150 yards.

A par 3, good, been a lot of long hole in that last stretch. Playing above the hole, on a tee so I shot a 6 iron. Distance was good, but I was way left… Hope it didn’t splash in that pond.
Second shot from off the green, could be worse, thought I might have caught the edge of the pond. Pitched onto the green Meh, need to get focused heeeeeeere.
Third shot is a pitch, could maybe putt, but this is a better choice… I hope.
Forth shot, a putt for bogey, still a good 20 feet away. Lets get this to drop and get out of here.
Fifth shot, a 6 footer, this better go in dammit. It did. That was a rough one.

Recap: :mad:

Rob
06-05-2004, 09:32 AM
I played the other week for the first time in a year. Hit the first eagle of my life on a Par 4. Second shot with a 8 iron about 20 feet from the green and it sunk. Next hole was a Par 3 and I got about 6 ft from the pin on my drive... and then took 3 shots to putt it :(

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 06:55 PM
I feel your pain Rob :(

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Hole#12
Par 4, 222 yards.

Short par 4, but this hole has a dog leg at the 130 yard mark, so a lot of people lay up so not to go out of bounds. I decided to try drive over the trees that protect the dogleg. Set up with the driver and flubbed it. Luckily though it went down the fairway’s middle and only 135 yards. It ended you being like the typical lay up shot. I count my lucky stars.
Second shot, which plays up hill to the green, is a good 100 yards away, I used an 8 iron. The shot landed right on the green, 15 feet form the pin, which is playing towards the end of the green.
Third shot, a putt for birdie plays uphill. Will need to be sure to hit it hard enough. The shot was right and short.
Fourth shot, for par, is 6 feet away sloping back down hill if I’m not careful. The shot was perfect. Par.

Recap; Luckily the tee shot wasn’t a disaster…as it should have been. It’s been my day today.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Hole#13
Par 4, 348 yards.

Your regular par four type hole, some rolls in the fairway, but they’re short. The green however is protected by a large mound to the left, to the right, the hole is sloped steeply downhill.
First shot will be the Driver, going to just aim down the middle. The shot, woo, it was a beauty, I was left, but still very, very good, very long. In fact as I went up to set up for my second shot, I had a hard time finding my ball. The reason was it was a lot further up than I expected, I was looking for it a good 50 yards short. When I found it I was in awe, here I was only 40 odd yards from the green. This hole must be playing shorter than marked. Could I have really driven it close to 300 yards? I doubt it.
Second shot a pitch to the green, I’m just in front of the mound, need to just get it over there and on the green. Shot lands on the green but a bit too fast, it rolls down quite a bit to the right.
Third shot, well, it’s a birdie putt, need to sink one of these!
Nope, fourth shot for a 1-foot tap in. Par.

Recap; I can believe my drive, holy shit what happened there? Two pars in a row, 3 out of the last 4. What a run.

Rob
06-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I might be in the minority but I'm very entertained reading this.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Hole#14
Par 3, 83 yards.

Shortest hole on the course. Like all the par 3’s on this course you are playing well above them. The pin is in the middle of the green and I have tree both left and right, there is also water to beware of. I’m going to use my 9 iron, it’s better to be long than short on this hole, as behind it there is plenty of room. Took a bit off the shot, but it was still long, not too bad though.
Second shot is 12-15 yards off the green, in what you could call fairway. The pitch left me with a good 20 feet to go. Damn, I was really hoping to put this closer, as it was a simple shot.
Third shot, for par. The putt was right on line and… nope, inches short.
My fourth shot was a tap in from 3 inches for bogey/

Recap; What can I say, I should have usee a pitching wedge off the tee, I should have gotten my second shot closer, I should have sank that par putt, but I didn’t. Still though I can’t be overly upset, it was a hole of “just misses”

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks Rob, not really sure why I decided to write this out :o.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Hole#15
Par 4, 383 yards.

Nice looking hole, it slopes to the right, like many of the holes on this course. Not many people like this course because it isn’t maintained like a lot of the other courses, but it’s not terrible. It’s very homey feeling. The tee box is high of the drive, but after the drive it actually plays a bit up hill, not much, but a little. Hoping to shoot left middle and have the ball roll down into the middle. The drive was good, right in the middle, but it took a bad bounce and ended up going way right, just off the fairway.
Second shot is a good 150 yards, going to go with the 3 iron and put some muscle on it. The shot was on the green. Long, towards the end of the green, the pin is in the front. I’ll have a huge birdie putt change.
Third shot, like I mentioned is for birdie, if I sink it, it’ll be a miracle. My shot plays up, and then levels off before sloping down and to the right. The shot was a good 12 feet short.
Fourth shot, this is going to be a tough par save now. Oh boy, hopefully I can sink this and get out of here. The shot was awful. I’m still 5 feet shot. What the fuck.
Fifth shot. I took a short break, maybe I’m rushing things too much, going to take a drink and clean my pitching wedge off. Stepped back up the ball and sank it.

Recap; Three putts, that’s not good. Need to put this out of my mind.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Hole#16
Par 4, 260 yards.

A shorter par 4, but like many hole here, the green is protected by a nasty hazard, it’s best to lay up on the drive. I’m getting tired now, not even going to try to drive over the hazard. Club of choice is a 3 wood, with a three quarter swing. Took the shot, not bad, didn’t go very far though, wrong club choice. Should have been a 5 wood with a full swing me thinks.
Second shot is just short of 140 yards and I still have the hazard in play. The shot was tentative; it was still short of the hazard. Oh well, at least it wasn’t in it.
Third shot is 40 yards out, just in front of the hazard, no biggie, easy shot, big green too. Plays up from this fairway, let’s just get it there. Good lord, shot was short, again, what’s going on?
Fourth shot is from the fringe of the green. I’m a good 50 feet down from the pin, need to put this close or else I’m going to have another double bogey or worse.. Nice shot! Finally. I’m but 5 feet from the hole.
Fifth shot is for bogey, the shot is uphill, but should be a no brainer. Drained it.

Recap; Thank goodness for that short shot from just off the green. All my previous shots were short and left me scrambling. A bogey, and only one putt this time. I’m always happy to walk off a green after taking only one putt. So I’ll take that away from here too.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Hole#17
Par 5, 461 yards.

This hole isn’t all that long for a par 5, but the green is out of site, like hole#8 until after the second shot. It’s also protected by trees.
The First shot will be the driver, good ol’ grip and rip. Lots of swails on the driver range on this one too. The drive was decent, but a bit short, just before the beginning of the rolls. Would have been nice to have been 40 yards longer, but the ball placement on this for the second shot will be good.
The second shot will be my 5 wood, the ball is laying as if it’s on the tee. I drove is quite nice except it is too the right, in fact it landed in the rough.
Third shot, a 4 iron going to try and get this thing close, if not on the green, which I an finally see. Flubbed it. The ball went no more than 30 yards. The only good thing is it’s back on the fairway. That shot, sucked.
Fourth shot is at least 70 yards out, time for the pitching wedge. After taking the shot, I’ve left myself short of the green, but in line with the pin.
Fifth shot off the green, put the ball within the so-called gimme circle, not a bad shot, too bad it wasn’t one shot earlier.
Sixth shot is for bogey, punk., it in goes.

Recap; My shots are getting shorter. Fatigue is taking over.. too bad I didn’t realize this until after the game.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Hole#18
Par 4, 342 yards.

Last hole, Feeling good, except my feet are getting tired, and I’ve sweated off my bug repellant, I’m getting eating by mosquitoes the last few holes.

The tee box is way off the left off the fairway; the green is to the right. This hole makes people try to hard to compensate for this fact and they loose their ball O.B. I’m just hoping to put it down the middle. I pick a spot to aim at in the middle and use the driver. The shot ends up staying left, nothing bad though, that is the way to miss if you’re going to miss.
Second shot is about 130 yards away; the ball is just off the fairway, going to go with a five iron. The shot wasn’t flubbed, but it wasn’t hit overly well either. I’ve left myself still to the left, with the green playing right.
Third shot a wedge, I’m 20 yards from the green. The green slopes downward from here. My shot looked relay good when I took it, but when it landed on the green it rolled and rolled and rolled, in fact it rolled off the green. No par to finish unless I can pitch it in from 30 feet.
I’m thinking of putting for my fourth shot, problem is if I miss, I’m going to most likely miss big. Best go with the pitch; after all that’s what I’ve been practicing the most lately. I take the shot and not bad, only have 2 feet to go.
My last shot of the day, I hope, straight in, no break at all. Take a deep breath and putt it. In.

Recap; Another hole were my shots weren’t the distance I was envisioning. Should have brought a couple chocolate bars.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Back nine recap; Looked over the score card and I see two pars and 7 bogeys. Holy shit, that’s huge for me. The score for those back nine was 43. That must be my best 9 hole score that I can ever remember. Like the first 7 holes I was on the green putting for par seven times.

Game recap; when I add everything up, I shot an 89. 89! Holy crap I broke into the 80’s for the first time ever. I was hoping for a 93-96 score. After the first 9 I thought maybe I could get a 92 and shoot my best ever. Well I did myself 3 shots better than I could have imagined. I’d say all that practice working with the pitching wedge paid off.