PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Strike...

Kane Knight
06-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Is it me, or is this game mad easy?

I hate how they even tell you when to, like, use your tow cable or ion cannon. not with sublte hints (I've got to knock out those sensors), but with a big action button on the screen.

Most of the levels are pretty beatable, and I haven't had the game for much more than a week, but I've already got medals on all but a couple of stages (a couple of the "on foot levels," which suck ass anyways, and aren't the reason I buy qa Rogue Squadron game).

I mean, I like it and everything, but I wish there was more of a challenge and stuff. I had gold and silver medals within like 2 days. :|

c4g2
06-05-2004, 05:24 AM
Forgive me for asking, but what's Rebel Strike?

Kane Knight
06-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Rogue Squadron 3. It's a Star Wars game for the Gamecube.

Kane Knight
06-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm kinda thinking they went the DMC (Devil May Cry) 2 route.

Basically, take a game that challenged you and dumbed it down because people complained it was too hard. Which Neither RS or DMC were. However, people were bitching because it took some level of skill to get S ranks on DMC and Gold medals on RS2.

Even the Rogue Leader co-op included is harder than the New stuff in Rebel Strike.

TheNamelessOne
06-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Rebel Strike is ultimatly a dissappointment with single player, but fantastic with multiplayer. Not only because of the on foot missions, but because of the fact that none of the missions are memorable.

I bought it just after X-Mas, dead cheap, but took it back in less than a week. If you want a decent Rogue Squadron game, get one or both of the first 2. Third one is a complete let down if you want a good single player game.

Nowhere Man
06-05-2004, 09:18 PM
I think the main selling point of Rebel Strike was that it had Rogue Squadron 2 with multiplayer.

That being said, I still had a blast playing the game. Yeah, it's not particularly all that hard, but it's an enjoyable way to pass the time. As for whether or not certain actions are 'given away' or not, when you're playing the Hoth level in a snowspeeder fighting AT-ATs, it's not all that hard to put 2 and 2 together. For the gameplay itself, I'd say Rogue Leader was the best of the bunch, but Rebel Strike is definitely has the best sense of re-creating the movies.

Also, the speeder bike chase = PURE AWESOMENESS

Kane Knight
06-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Rebel Strike is ultimatly a dissappointment with single player, but fantastic with multiplayer. Not only because of the on foot missions, but because of the fact that none of the missions are memorable.

I bought it just after X-Mas, dead cheap, but took it back in less than a week. If you want a decent Rogue Squadron game, get one or both of the first 2. Third one is a complete let down if you want a good single player game.
I apid 20 bucks for it.

20 bucks for Multiplayer RS2=Not bad.

If I was paying 20 bucks for just the single player modes, I'd feel ripped. There's not enough. I've almost got perfect scores. All the unlockables are unlocked except one or two (Maybe), and I don't like the Third Person levels, because they're idiotic. They didn't even put a decent engine in.

I have the Second, but not the first. RL was the goods. This is just...Sad.

Versus is awesome though. Walker rampages? :D

Kane Knight
06-06-2004, 02:46 AM
I think the main selling point of Rebel Strike was that it had Rogue Squadron 2 with multiplayer.

That being said, I still had a blast playing the game. Yeah, it's not particularly all that hard, but it's an enjoyable way to pass the time. As for whether or not certain actions are 'given away' or not, when you're playing the Hoth level in a snowspeeder fighting AT-ATs, it's not all that hard to put 2 and 2 together. For the gameplay itself, I'd say Rogue Leader was the best of the bunch, but Rebel Strike is definitely has the best sense of re-creating the movies.

Also, the speeder bike chase = PURE AWESOMENESS
Actually, it's that these were kinda no-brainers that pissed me off most. IT's so condescending. Rainman could figger most of 'em out. But the fact is, they even give you the timing. This is some pretty simple stuff.

i mean, realistically, there should be some non-linear challenges in the game, but they take even the most simplistic aspects of the notion out. They might as well put the power-ups in 1P on the map.

I'm not sure about recreating the movies. They threw in a lot of clips, but the Third Person stages didn't have the Star Wars feel. The voiceovers for Han that weren't from the movies blew hardcore, and kinda disrupted that. Much of the gameplay was interrupted by cutscenes, which were the only thing holding the movie feel together half the time. A lot of the stuff that wasn't Third Person action were adventures that never happened in the movies, so there's not much for feel there. Granted, running around in a walker is awesome, and many of the levels they made up were great supplements to the story, but...

I'm also nonplussed by the Executor. They tried to hype it as flying around on it, except for the fact that you didn't have a lot of freedom, it was a rehashed trench scene sort of deal, and you have to stay low. It's basically a map, not a ship. Big letdown.

I like more uses of the speeder, more starships to use, and more adventures, but I think they halfassed the game and threw in some extra cutscenes to cover it up.

There are some fun things to do, especially in multiplayer, but a lot of this shit just pisses me off.

TheNamelessOne
06-06-2004, 04:33 PM
I like more uses of the speeder, more starships to use, and more adventures, but I think they halfassed the game and threw in some extra cutscenes to cover it up.

Thats the impression I got too.

I think with this game they were running out of ideas of things to add to the series, and just threw in some pathetic on foot parts in attempt to add something new. There are plenty of things to add to the game that would make it better. They could start by adding more involving single player missions, preferably ones that don't take you about 5 minutes to complete.

Shaggy
06-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I thought it was a really easy game. There was only one level I had problems in but when it was over with I had no problems finishing the game. Sadly I didnt like the end of the game and was very disappointed. I still play it once in a while when I just want to go kill stuff.

Kane Knight
06-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Thats the impression I got too.

I think with this game they were running out of ideas of things to add to the series, and just threw in some pathetic on foot parts in attempt to add something new. There are plenty of things to add to the game that would make it better. They could start by adding more involving single player missions, preferably ones that don't take you about 5 minutes to complete.
5 minutes, or 25 if you watch all the cutscenes. :D

They needed to make it more challenging, too. I don't care if it's easy to beat a level, but a gold medal really shouldn't be something you accidentally get after a couple of tries on a mission. not that all the Rogue Leader medals were incredibly hard either, but it was one of the things that gave the msot replacy value to RS2.

There are still a couple of Gold medals I haven't got, but I feel ripped off saying that, because I've only had the game since a bit before my birthday hit. It's not been that long, dammit.

It'd be nice if they did some more stuff from the X-Wing Star Wars books, or even some Shadows of the Empire missions...I don't see much of that happening, but it'd be nice.

The Destroyer
06-08-2004, 07:37 AM
It's the only Gamecube game I've ever returned, it just wasn't challenging enough.

On a side note however, the Endor Speeder Bike level had to be one of the most frustrating levels I've ever played. Nice that at least one of the levels was tough to finish. :p

Kane Knight
06-08-2004, 02:07 PM
It's the only Gamecube game I've ever returned, it just wasn't challenging enough.

On a side note however, the Endor Speeder Bike level had to be one of the most frustrating levels I've ever played. Nice that at least one of the levels was tough to finish. :p
Yeah. too bad more of 'em weren't.

Kane Knight
06-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Another minor gripe...I should never get a "Best ever" medal on my first try on a level.