PDA

View Full Version : A great in-game tool that would spark alot of attention IMO for FPS games.

Ninti the Mad
12-22-2003, 03:38 PM
In-game rank promotions.

It would rate things like kills, deaths, flag captures, killing sprees, etc...

Then after you meet a certain quota, you gain rank.

Not only would the rank be just a sign of how well you play, it would also be cosmetic.

Your chest can be awarded with medals and whatnot.

Maybe you could also gain promotions based on your field of expertise. Say, you like using a tank, you would gain a tank promotion.

Also, we would need an in-game clan system. The higher the rank of the leader, the more men he can command per platoon.

Just little things that I think would be cool.

Tornado
12-22-2003, 05:10 PM
<font color=#33ffff>Isn't the rank thing kinda used in Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2?</font>

Vega
12-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Like in the original X-Wing?

Ninti the Mad
12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
<font color=#33ffff>Isn't the rank thing kinda used in Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2?</font>

Yeah, but the rank would be visible in-game. Not on menus and whatever.

Ninti the Mad
12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Like in the original X-Wing?

FPS?

Vega
12-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Well, I don't see how the idea would be any different if it was an FPS or flight simulator.

Vega
12-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Also, would medals build up over time or would they disappear and your character would restart after each level?

Vega
12-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Also, the FPS Firearms (mod for Half Life) uses a rank system in-game. There are no medals, but for each rank you upgrade you can choose a new skill, and it opens up more radio commands you can give to teammates. It resets every map.

Ninti the Mad
12-22-2003, 05:46 PM
What would you like to see?

As for me, I think that only important ones remain.

And perhaps if you gain rank in a certain field, your stats build up just a tad.

There wouldnt be any stat stats but maybe if you're a sniper, you're distance that you can see gets a little better.

Vega
12-22-2003, 05:48 PM
If the stats saved it might put off new players to joining the game since there would be some people with much higher stats and would seem kind of unfair. You could only matchup new players with other new players and veterans with veterans though.

Ninti the Mad
12-22-2003, 05:52 PM
That is why I said stats would rise up just a little bit.

There would be no health increase. No power increase. Just minmial increases that dont really affect a player too much.

Besides, there are only so many ranks in the military. There wouldnt be much room for gain. Also, even if there was no stat increase, do you really think a novice could take out a veteran?

Ninti the Mad
12-22-2003, 05:55 PM
For example, someone who uses a tank and gets a promotion there would get a tread wheel increase in turning.

A sniper gets a little extra distance. Perhaps like an additional 5 feet in-game.

A grunt could get faster reloads. Not too much faster but noticable if two people reload at same time at different rank.

A medic could heal faster.

An engineer could fix faster.

Minimal like I said though.

Kane Knight
12-23-2003, 11:51 AM
There's an acrade shooter that does this sort of thing. It's one of those new games that tracks your movement, and it's a police -style game. You get promotions that give you certain benefits. Extra time, an extra life if you get high enough...That sort of thing.

It's a cool little addition.

First Person shooters blow, but I like the little nuances that get added to games.

loopydate
12-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Question: How could you see medals on your character in an FPS?

Seriously, though, I played that game that KK was talking about a couple of days ago, and I'm just now getting feeling back in my legs. Damn, I'm out of shape...

road doggy dogg
12-23-2003, 08:14 PM
First Person shooters blow

:nono: :nono: :nono:

KleptoKlown
12-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory :y:

Kane Knight
12-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Question: How could you see medals on your character in an FPS?

Seriously, though, I played that game that KK was talking about a couple of days ago, and I'm just now getting feeling back in my legs. Damn, I'm out of shape...

that game is addictive tho.

Silent
12-25-2003, 12:52 AM
{lepto]{lown']Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory :y:

Yeah, I was gonna say this.