PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION: If STING signs with the WWE, would you have him go to Raw or Smackdown?

Heyman
06-06-2004, 06:15 PM
<font color=white>

DISCUSSION: If STING signs with the WWE, would you have him go to Raw or Smackdown?

Smackdown:

Since Smackdown is lacking in star power right now, one would assume that Smackdown would be the best place for Sting to go.

However:

1) If Sting goes to Smackdown, would it REALLY be a beneficial to have him become WWE champ? (instead of someone like Eddie Guerrero for instance......who is in his PRIME and at the PEAK of his popularity).

2) If the WWE brought Sting in as a HEEL on Smackdown (so he could get into future feuds with Guerrero, Cena, Taker, etc.), would the fans really want to 'boo' him?

3) What would it say about Smackdown if a 'past-his-prime' superstar like STING was made WWE Champion? Would it make the rest of the roster look weak?

4) If Sting is brought in to 'put over' up-and-coming talent on SD, would he really be happy? Should a guy like STING really be used to 'put over' guys like Renee Dupree, John Bradshaw Layfield, etc.?

Raw:

Since Raw has more 'established' stars, we could see some more "dream" match-ups in the future (i.e. Sting/The Rock, Sting/Triple H, Sting/Shawn Michaels, etc.).

However:

1) Would Sting get buried on Raw? We saw this happen to Booker T and Steiner (although in Steiner's case, poor health was also a key factor). Kevin Nash was also a huge bust (after a brief main-event push). Could it be deja vu with Sting? Would all that money (invested in Sting) be a waste?

2) If Sting went to Raw, I'm thinking that he could become Eric Bischoff's personal hitman (Bischoff would get Sting to randomly attack people with his baseball bat). Sting would then be used to 'put over' up-and-comers. In this role however, would Sting (and his fanbase) be satisfied?

My opinion:

The only way I'd consider having Sting on Raw, is if they moved some current Raw talent to Smackdown (to create more TV time for Sting). However - it's probably better that the WWE keep the rosters the way they are right now (and not make too many movements).

With that being said - I'd have Sting go to Smackdown. Ideally - I'd have Sting be a prominent main-eventer (I'm not sure what his physical condition is like, but he'd have to work a lot if he was a main-eventer).

Since guys like Guerrero, Cena, Taker, and RVD, are faces, it might be logical to bring in Sting as a HEEL (or turn one of the aforementioned four HEEL shortly after a face Sting debuts).

I guess my biggest concern with Sting, is his health. He's a pretty old guy if I'm not mistaken, and so being a main-eventer may not be "suitable" for him.

-If Sting is healthy enough to be a main-eventer --> I'd bring him to Smackdown.

-If Sting is not healthy enough to be a main-eventer --> I'd send him to Raw (to become Bischoff's "right hand personal hitman". Edge and Christian would be sent to Smackdown to become main-event heels over there.

</font>

.44 Magdalene
06-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I would say RAW, but that's just 'cuz I don't get UPN...

Edge
06-06-2004, 06:26 PM
I think you should have Sting go to Raw and join Evolution. Evolution has had some bad luck over the past few weeks. But then if you have Sting go to SmackDown, a good idear would be to start up a feud with Mordaci ?

LK
06-06-2004, 06:29 PM
If Sting comes in I would probably send him to Raw and put some guys like Christian, Jericho and Edge to Smackdown to give them some star names which it desperatly needs. I doubt Sting as a heel would work because I think the fans will cheer for him no matter what he does.

Vega
06-06-2004, 06:32 PM
I would say RAW, but that's just 'cuz I don't get UPN...

MVP
06-06-2004, 06:38 PM
I said this in another thread.

Smackdown is getting buried because of bullshit angles, shitty booking, and not enough veteran established superstars to draw big numbers. If Sting were to go to Smackdown he would increase the ratings dramatically considering that there are so many Sting marks out there who would love to see his return to the ring.

Sting would be a great opponent to give Mordecai a bit of a rub, though I don't imagine Sting jobbing to him presently. Plus a face vs. face ange against Eddie Guerrero would give him more credibility.

Sting woldn't have much of a place on RAW besides feuding with Evolution, and that'd be pointless unless he were to put Randy Orton over, a genius idea, but I'm too much of a Sting mark to see Orton put down the Stinger.

OssMan
06-06-2004, 06:48 PM
It would make the most sense for him to go to Smackdown to put people over, but it probably won't happen. Although if this DID happen, ratings would go up greatly. If RAW did send trade talent to Smackdown i.e. Edge, Jericho, Christian, Maven, or even Orton, Sting could have some promising feuds. He could also work as a face to put over guys like Jindrak and Mordecai.

Nowhere Man
06-06-2004, 06:48 PM
For f</>uck's sake, stop putting music in posts, people! It's not even a thread about Evolution!

Anyways, I've stated many times that I never ever ever ever ever ever want to see the Stinger come to WWE, because they would piss all over him. On Raw, they'd either job him off to Triple H or Randy Orton, and neither guy would benefit from that. All it would do would make Sting look like shit. On Smackdown, chances are they'd just feed him to the Undertaker (or *shudder* Bradshaw) In any case, neither brand would use him right, and honestly, if you're not going to take full advantage of the Stinger's services, I'd much rather not see him come in at all.

If WWE is so starved for main-event players, they need to stop bringing in former stars and focus on making ones of their own. Give Jericho and Christian the push they deserve, keep Eddie and Benoit on top, and keep developing Orton and Cena until they become the main-event caliber stars WWE is pretending they already are. Bringing in older talent to fill up the top spots only slows down that process. As much as a mark as I am for Sting, him coming to WWE wouldn't be doing anyone any good.

The CyNick
06-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Well everyone should know by now, I'm not a huge fan of a ton of roster moves, I think they should keep that as rare as possible (ie once a year after Mania).

But yeah, its clear Smackdown could use a shot in the arm. I'm not so sure Sting would mean all that much at this point, but they might as well throw him on SD just in case he has any value.

In an ideal world he would be able to get over as a heel right off the bat, and you could build up a big match between him and Eddie. However, I dont think that would happen, so he's probably got to stay face.

With that in mind, I think I would use him in a semi mian event position with Taker. Maybe Taker and Sting vs Mordecai. Down the road, they could always do Sting vs Eddie face vs face maybe on TV or even on a SD PPV, but I think the only realy money match for Sting is with Taker. So maybe if they were to team for a while, then you get Sting to do a heel turn, and then that leads to Taker vs Sting say at Mania.

The other idea would be if they had a heel WWE Champion like if Angle gets healthy enough to make another run at it, then a long program between Anggle and Sting would probably do alright business wise. However I wouldn't put the title on him, I dont think he's good enough, and I just dont think he's a big enough draw to justify giving him the title.

Loose Cannon
06-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Digging the music. TLK. I wouldn't mind seeing Sting in the WWE as he has never been there before, so it would be sort of spectial. If they gave him a strong character where he wasn't getting beat by HHH or Taker, then it would be ok. But I'm not sure how good Sting is anymore. Can he still work a decent match? If not, then there would be no point in bringing him in IMO. He might be a ratings booster for a short while, but people won't care about him anymore if he can't wrestle for sh**.

Heyman
06-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Sting could have some promising feuds. He could also work as a face to put over guys like Jindrak and Mordecai.

<font color=white>

That's my biggest worry right there. If a guy like Sting is signed with the WWE (and I would imagine that it would be a pretty 'hefty' contract), would you really want to see him JOBBING to a guy like Jindrak? (or Mordecai).

The way I see it - a guy like Scott Steiner could be used for that exact same role (on SD).

If Sting signs with the WWE, he can't just become 'another guy' (or a guy who is perceived to be as 'past his prime').

If that's the case - then it's not a good investment on the WWE's part.

Nowhere Man
06-06-2004, 07:00 PM
In an ideal world he would be able to get over as a heel right off the bat, and you could build up a big match between him and Eddie. However, I dont think that would happen, so he's probably got to stay face.

Big problem with that: Sting sucks as a heel. Remember how awful his turn was in 99?

But like you said, the only real big-money match I could see would be Sting vs Undertaker, and I highly doubt Taker would want to put him over. And anyways, like LC said, there's no guarantee that Sting can deliver the same kind of awesomeness that he did back in the day.

BTW, with all of you TLK guys using the exact same avatars and font colors, it's getting really hard to tell you guys apart.

Mayo
06-06-2004, 07:05 PM
For fuck's sake, stop putting music in posts, people! It's not even a thread about Evolution!

Agreed.

I said in a previous thread that I would place Sting on Raw, but with many great points brought up in this thread, I would have to say that Sting should go to Smackdown. He could become a big impact player if he plays the whole silent vigilante character again, and he just looks freakin' cool. He could boost ratings for a show that many people believe lacks star power, and he had a large fanbase in WCW so people would be interested. His shape and age could be liabilities, but i'm sure that if he joins the WWE in the first place, its because he is dedicated to putting on the best matches possible. I don't think he would want to make a crappy return and leave his last memory to his fans as an out of shape wrestler who was past his prime.

Mayo
06-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Oh, and definitely keep him as a face, being a mysterious loner who kicks the crap out of bad guys, but doesnt listen to authority figures (like Stone Cold).

Stickman
06-06-2004, 07:47 PM
He'd have to go to Raw. Nobody cares enough about Smackdown!.

Favre4Ever
06-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Sting = RAW

Mayo
06-06-2004, 08:26 PM
He'd have to go to Raw. Nobody cares enough about Smackdown!.

I think that Sting would definitely make more people care about Smackdown. He was one of the franchise members of WCW, and he was a main eventer that stayed loyal to WCW for so long. His appearance in WWE would make old Sting marks very happy, and as a result, many of them will tune in to watch. Some may only watch for a few shows due to nostalgia, but some will also want to see him every week and thus the ratings would be higher for a while at least.

Head
06-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Isn't Sting like, at least 45 by now?

Not that that's ever stopped somebody from main eventing in the WWE.

mrslackalack
06-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I am undecided, If Sting goes to Raw you could have the dream match against HBK although both are past their prime they could still put on a 5 Star match and it would draw ratings on RAW or buyrates on PPVS.

If Sting goes to Smackdown he could have some matches with The Undertaker or Moredicai but Smackdown is clearly Number 2 and not everyone has UPN and it would sorta put such a big star on the number 2 show but I would pull a angle like they did with Scott Stiener and have him appear at both shows and their brand PPV's and for the GM's to sign him

Sadly though I think Stings WWE run will only be a year or two long for
1. Hes getting up there in age
2. The way WWE has done recent WCW wrestlers in storylines (NWO,Steiner)

But still I hope he comes and will be glad to watch him on either brand

Mayo
06-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I am undecided, If Sting goes to Raw you could have the dream match against HBK although both are past their prime they could still put on a 5 Star match and it would draw ratings on RAW or buyrates on PPVS.

If Sting goes to Smackdown he could have some matches with The Undertaker or Moredicai but Smackdown is clearly Number 2 and not everyone has UPN and it would sorta put such a big star on the number 2 show but I would pull a angle like they did with Scott Stiener and have him appear at both shows and their brand PPV's and for the GM's to sign him

Sadly though I think Stings WWE run will only be a year or two long for

Yeah Sting would obviously not be a long term main eventer. He would be around for 2 or 3 years at most, most likely less than that though. He would just garner interest in the Smackdown brand, and hopefully anchor more fans to watch every week.

As for what you said about UPN, I live in Canada, but from what i've heard here on the forums, people in the USA need cable to get Spike TV, and they get UPN without cable, so wouldn't UPN have more possible viewers?

Mr. JL
06-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Sting and the WWE do not mix.

Look what happened to Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell and to a lesser extent Booker T.

The fans rejected them because they are WWE fans and not WCW fans. WCW fans have long stopped watching wrestling by now. Otherwise you would have seen RAW's ratings go up significantly after WCW was purchased. WWE fans do not like WCW talent.

Goldberg was booed. DDP became a stalker and a smiling guy - then he jobbed to Hardcore Holly and broke his neck. Steiner is too muscular to move. Nash was injury prone. Hall has his personal demons. Bagwell was an idiot. And it took Booker T about a year to wash away the WCW stigma and his horrible WCW debut match against Bagwell.

I just think WWE fans will plain out reject any top main eventer that WCW ever had, unless they pay their dues in the WWE and work their way up the ladder like Booker T has done. Only then would the fans begin to accept him. Even then, I would surely not expect Sting to sign with the WWE for 3 years such as Booker has done.

Back to the discussion though... Sting needs to be on Smack Down! as I believe it would raise ratings for a little while but you know the WWE will fuck it up anyhow and then Sting will end up looking like his other WCW counter parts that I've already mentioned.

BUT since SD is secondary, Sting would get thrown on RAW. I wouldn't mind seeing a Michaels-Sting match though.

Mayo
06-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Sting and the WWE do not mix.

Look what happened to Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell and to a lesser extent Booker T.

The fans rejected them because they are WWE fans and not WCW fans. WCW fans have long stopped watching wrestling by now. Otherwise you would have seen RAW's ratings go up significantly after WCW was purchased. WWE fans do not like WCW talent.

Goldberg was booed. DDP became a stalker and a smiling guy - then he jobbed to Hardcore Holly and broke his neck. Steiner is too muscular to move. Nash was injury prone. Hall has his personal demons. Bagwell was an idiot. And it took Booker T about a year to wash away the WCW stigma and his horrible WCW debut match against Bagwell.

I just think WWE fans will plain out reject any top main eventer that WCW ever had, unless they pay their dues in the WWE and work their way up the ladder like Booker T has done. Only then would the fans begin to accept him. Even then, I would surely not expect Sting to sign with the WWE for 3 years such as Booker has done.

Back to the discussion though... Sting needs to be on Smack Down! as I believe it would raise ratings for a little while but you know the WWE will fuck it up anyhow and then Sting will end up looking like his other WCW counter parts that I've already mentioned.

BUT since SD is secondary, Sting would get thrown on RAW. I wouldn't mind seeing a Michaels-Sting match though.

Very good points about WCW guys in WWE. However, Goldberg's long win streak was when he was the most popular. After that, he wasn't as much of a draw since his matches were basically always squashes. The rest of those guys either didn't get pushed properly, or the fans didnt react well to them, and I still agree with you about that.

Shadow
06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I Sadly though I think Stings WWE run will only be a year or two long for

Yet Ric Flair has been with the WWE for like 4 or so years and he's gotta be like 50. I think Sting has some staying power in the WWE. If they book him right. Yeah...excuse me while I go die on the thought that the WWE could book someone right.

Fox
06-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Sting needs to go to Smackdown. They need the star power, and on RAW he'll only be held back by Triple H. Besides, there's a perfect scenario for his debut.

Once Paul Heyman establishes his stable of heels, he'll run over everyone on the Smackdown brand, Eddie Guerrero in particular. After they are built up to be a strong faction, during a beatdown on Eddie, Sting shows up in grand fashion and beats the living shit out of everyone with a baseball bat. It'd be perfect.

Mr. Nerfect
06-07-2004, 03:47 AM
I personally would like to see him feud with Kane, as I think it could be HUGE. But now Kane has lost his mask, a SmackDown! run may be better.

razzmadazz
06-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Definitely to Smackdown...

Imagine this::: Mordecai's just won a match after squashing some Cruiserweight and then, as he goes looking up & all, the lights go out & the Old Crow theme plays... The cameras go up and we see the Stinger in the rafters pointing his baseball bat towards Mordecai leading up to a match in which Mordecai gets squashed....

OR have Sting go to Raw where Benoit & Sting can have a Scorpion Death Lock / Sharpshooter feud??? :lol: :rofl:

Azriel
06-07-2004, 08:37 AM
I would like to see Sting on RAW, if only for the many possible dream matches, but Smackdown would benefit better.

I-Hate-You
06-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Smackdown!

BUT he would probably go to RAW.

Heyman
06-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Smackdown!

BUT he would probably go to RAW.

<font color=white>

One concern I have about Sting going to Smackdown, is that his gimmick will be too similar to that of Undertaker's and Mordecai's (maybe not too similar, but there's definitely a proximity there).

On the same token however - Sting going to Raw could definitely indicate to the Smackdown wrestlers that Upper Management perceives them to be the 'B' show.

p.s. Any chance of Ken Shamrock coming back to the WWE? How's his health?

The CyNick
06-09-2004, 11:14 PM
<font color=white>

One concern I have about Sting going to Smackdown, is that his gimmick will be too similar to that of Undertaker's and Mordecai's (maybe not too similar, but there's definitely a proximity there).

On the same token however - Sting going to Raw could definitely indicate to the Smackdown wrestlers that Upper Management perceives them to be the 'B' show.

p.s. Any chance of Ken Shamrock coming back to the WWE? How's his health?

But then the point is if he has a similar gimmick it would lead to a feud.

Shamrock, as far as I know can still work, I mean he's going to fight on a UFC PPV coming up, so wrestling should be no problem. But I think he makes more money fighting then he would in the WWE.

ColdwaVer
06-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Look what happened to Goldberg...

...is a nearly talentless egomaniac who never would have gone anywhere without the push WCW gave him...

...Diamond Dallas Page...

...was in the midst of a decent angle when injury forced him out...

...Scott Steiner...

...is just painful to watch, how many times can one man throw belly-to-belly suplexes and do pushups? Yet WWE made him look like someone both Stephanie and Bischoff really wanted for their shows, then put him in two months of main event programs...

...Kevin Nash...

...how on earth WWE or their fans can be blamed for the King of Clumsy not making a bit impact upon returning, then getting injured, then returning, then getting injured, then returning, then getting injured in JUST OVER A YEAR...

...Scott Hall...

...was being decently pushed until he couldn't stay sober...

...Buff Bagwell...

...I really hope I don't have to defend anyone one why Bagwell never went anywhere after WCW...

...and to a lesser extent Booker T...

I hope I don't have to repeat for the thousandth time that not everyone can be a constant main eventer, and indeed RE: HHH nobody should be.

The fans rejected them because they are WWE fans and not WCW fans.

So why have the fans embraced Flair, Jericho, Benoit, and Guerrero?