PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Randy Orton is been built up like The Rock????

Paranoid Rattlesnake
06-15-2004, 05:41 AM
I mean the promo before his match at Bad Blood was very Rockesque, He was refering to himself in the third person (randy orton this and randy orton that, something the rock started)

Rock played second fiddle in a stable as the intercontinental champion before eventually taking over the group.

Randy Orton is based on The Rock of 97-98 except he's not as good on the microphone and Rock doesn't slip on the turnbuckle and undo all the good work of the previous 10 minutes of promo

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2004, 05:46 AM
I agree with a lot of that. I think Orton is being groomed to be the next Rock, but I think we might have seen Orton trip deliberately. That's the good thing about his gimmick, he can make mistakes like that without getting the backstage ribs that follow.

I <3 Negros
06-15-2004, 05:48 AM
The question truly is can he be the next Rock. I don't think he has enough charisma to be the next Rock, but he does have the same in ring ability. I could very easily see him with the World Championship in a couple years.

Hired Hitman
06-15-2004, 05:56 AM
I think Randy is a good wrestler... but He needs to have that burst of energy in his promos.

To me he's like "you... you thought you could get me... but you were wrong... oh yes, you were wrong... and at the royal rumble... it will be a rumble.. between you.. and ME"

where he should be "You think you got me? huh? NO! NO, you didn't, you didn't get me... you could NEVER get me, I'm better than YOU... and this Sunday, at the Rumble, I... WILL... GET.. YOU....".

big_bluto
06-15-2004, 05:59 AM
Favourite moments from Bad Blood included Randy Orton's stumble on the ropes, and even better than that, how he sold the T-shirt hit to the head.
You'd think he just got hit by a chair!

I <3 Negros
06-15-2004, 06:12 AM
I think Randy is a good wrestler... but He needs to have that burst of energy in his promos.

To me he's like "you... you thought you could get me... but you were wrong... oh yes, you were wrong... and at the royal rumble... it will be a rumble.. between you.. and ME"

where he should be "You think you got me? huh? NO! NO, you didn't, you didn't get me... you could NEVER get me, I'm better than YOU... and this Sunday, at the Rumble, I... WILL... GET.. YOU....".
I like his low energy I think it fits his character more.

Londoner
06-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Can't the writers think of something new to build a character up?We wont fall for it as we've already spotted what they're doing so it's not going to work. It's also not going to work because of the simple fact that no one else can be like the rock, think of soemthing new goddamnit.

big_bluto
06-15-2004, 09:25 AM
I think they're building him up exactly right.
And while they're maybe following the path they took to get The Rock over, there's a difference here.
They're not trying to make another Rock, they're trying to make the first 'Randy Orton'

c4g2
06-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Hail Randall!

Londoner
06-15-2004, 10:02 AM
I think they're building him up exactly right.
And while they're maybe following the path they took to get The Rock over, there's a difference here.
They're not trying to make another Rock, they're trying to make the first 'Randy Orton'

Then explain why he is acting so much like the rock, he's still intercontential champion, and he's in second place in the stable behind Triple H.

big_bluto
06-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Then explain why he is acting so much like the rock, he's still intercontential champion, and he's in second place in the stable behind Triple H.
Okay.

He's not acting so much like the Rock at all.
He's acting like Randy Orton. I don't think he's ever tried to be the Rock.
All he's doing is his thing, speaking slowly and condescendingly to the audience, not high pitched and superfast like the Rock.
The Rock's whole thing was like 'The Ego Has Landed', but Randy Orton isn't anywhere near that scale of things.

He's still IC Champ, because it brings him credibility, opportunity to get regular matches, because it brings credit to Evolution, and so that you think he's better than all the guys that have held the title in the last 5 years, because he's held it for longer. Credibility. Talent, ability, the makings of a champion. That's why WWe has let him hold it for so long.

He's 2nd place in the stable behind Triple H?
Who says so?
You say that because you've been led to believe that by the WWE. Because Orton has had a sustained push, because he's holding the IC Championship, because Flair and Batista only ever go for the tag titles?
Again, if you consider Orton 2nd behind HHH it's because you've been led to believe that.

Pretty soon you'll believe that Orton is better than HHH, and he'll win the match to prove it. But then that will come after either Trips or Orton is kicked out of Evolution.

explanation enough for you?

Shaggy
06-15-2004, 10:15 AM
I would have to say it couldn be a possibility. It seems that it all matches up and I believe as many fans know by know that Orton is gonna be big eventually. But see I think he will be the heel version of The Rock. The Rock had the fans behind him and even though I thought he made a better heel he just couldnt go back over once he because face. Now I think they might do the same for Orton but they might try to keep him heel and see how that goes over with the fans.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
06-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Okay.

The Rock's whole thing was like 'The Ego Has Landed', but Randy Orton isn't anywhere near that scale of things.

I pretty much disagree with this part of your argument because as the self proclaimed "Legend Killer" he is on an EGO trip. The promo at bad blood pretty much confirmed his ego trip.

He is in essence being built up like a white version of The Rock. He's certainly got the build, the in ring presence and skills to be as good as The Rock but he's definately going to struggle to get to the next level because The Rock had HHH. I can't see anybody credible enough for them to have a series of matches that will eventually elavate them both into the main event scene.

John Cena would certainly be a very good choice for this but he's on the wrong show and IMO the quicker he gets to RAW the better for John Cenas career

c4g2
06-15-2004, 11:00 AM
That'll be the final nail in the coffin for Smackdown... John Cena stays at Smackdown...

big_bluto
06-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I pretty much disagree with this part of your argument because as the self proclaimed "Legend Killer" he is on an EGO trip. The promo at bad blood pretty much confirmed his ego trip.

He is in essence being built up like a white version of The Rock. He's certainly got the build, the in ring presence and skills to be as good as The Rock but he's definately going to struggle to get to the next level because The Rock had HHH. I can't see anybody credible enough for them to have a series of matches that will eventually elavate them both into the main event scene.

John Cena would certainly be a very good choice for this but he's on the wrong show and IMO the quicker he gets to RAW the better for John Cenas career

I get where your coming from with the Legend Killer thing, but Orton has not got much more of an ego than your average heel, but the The Rock had the Ego whether face or heel.
Plus he's been fed some pretty healthy talent since he started!
I think to compare pretty much anyone to The Rock on an equal basis is never going to be fair, but I think from all the current RAW talent, Orton is going to draw natural comparisons, especially with the path he is being pushed on.
However, I think it's important to remember that he isn't going to end up being another version of The Rock.
He's going to be Randy Orton.

Bret Hart
06-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Look, you guys have got to STOP comparing Orton to the Rock. He's NOT THE ROCK, there will never be another Rock, at least for awhile. He's Randy Orton, that's it. If you keep comparing him to the Rock then your expectations will become high and he will dissapoint you everytime.

Nowhere Man
06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Look, you guys have got to STOP comparing Orton to the Rock. He's NOT THE ROCK, there will never be another Rock, at least for awhile. He's Randy Orton, that's it. If you keep comparing him to the Rock then your expectations will become high and he will dissapoint you everytime.

Ex-actly. Although I would've probably ranted for a while about how Orton's nowhere near good enough to justify his spot on the card and whatnot, I think for once I'll just give it a rest.

The Naitch
06-15-2004, 12:46 PM
The Randal says that come next year, he will throw John Cena's US Title over the damn bridge. If ya smell what The Randal is marinating

Londoner
06-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Okay.

He's not acting so much like the Rock at all.
He's acting like Randy Orton. I don't think he's ever tried to be the Rock.
All he's doing is his thing, speaking slowly and condescendingly to the audience, not high pitched and superfast like the Rock.

He's still IC Champ, because it brings him credibility, opportunity to get regular matches, because it brings credit to Evolution, and so that you think he's better than all the guys that have held the title in the last 5 years, because he's held it for longer. Credibility. Talent, ability, the makings of a champion. That's why WWe has let him hold it for so long.

He's 2nd place in the stable behind Triple H?
Who says so?
You say that because you've been led to believe that by the WWE. Because Orton has had a sustained push, because he's holding the IC Championship, because Flair and Batista only ever go for the tag titles?
Again, if you consider Orton 2nd behind HHH it's because you've been led to believe that.

Pretty soon you'll believe that Orton is better than HHH, and he'll win the match to prove it. But then that will come after either Trips or Orton is kicked out of Evolution.

explanation enough for you?

Oh so ive been 'let to believe' he's second behind hhh? You mean to tell me Batista is gonna get a bigger push thahn randy orton? Ok..whatever. I base my opinion that he is second behind HHH because he has had the biggest push apart from HHH in Evolution, duh.So it's clear he's second behind Triple H in that respect.

I can see why he's still IC champ(right decision IMO) but its just ironic how he's 2nd ina stable and IC champ at the same time, just like the rock was back then.

And how was he not acting like the rock at bad blood? It was so blatantly obvious that on this board im not the only one who has thought that.
And finally, how is he not on an ego trip? Did you even se his promo at bad blood?I can'tsee where your coming from there really, so to answer your question:No, your explanation isn't enough.

Londoner
06-15-2004, 01:13 PM

We didn't say he is the rock, we said he's being built up like the rock.There's a difference.

Wildcat789
06-15-2004, 05:13 PM
All heels have egos. Comparing Randy to the Rock based on the fact that Randy has an ego is just RETARDED. Excuse me, I meant 'special'.

John la Rock
06-15-2004, 05:31 PM
He is getting build up in a similar fashion. Vince likes the 3rd generation superstars and I can see why cause they have lived in the business their whole life.

Orton is good but he is no Rock

jindrak
06-15-2004, 05:36 PM
That'll be the final nail in the coffin for Smackdown... John Cena stays at Smackdown...

UNLESS- Swape Cena for Jericho. Jericho would be a better fit for Smackdown, and Cena would def be better on Raw. Jericho on Smackdown can easiliy feud with RVD, Booker T, Latino Heat, Rey, and Dupree. On the flip side, Cena would be an EXCELLENT match with Orton, and this is the kind of feud that can start at the mid card level and possibly headline a WM in a few years (i.e Rock/Austin feud, Rock/HHH feud). Also, Cena would be given more freedom on the mic, therefore he can abandon the "white" Will Smith gimmick, in favor of a more ruthless attitude. REMEMBER- The Ruthless Agression Era started with John Cena when he slapped Jericho on the face, and I believe he also slapped Vince. If Cena is to embody the Ruthless Aggression Era, why not have him carry the ball.

Thoughts?

John la Rock
06-15-2004, 05:44 PM
who the hell labelled it the "Ruthless Agression Era" in the first place?

it sounds retarded

Kane Knight
06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Randy is the next Rock.

Or, at least, that's how they're trying to craft him. The major flaw is that the WWE is trying to make him before he's ready for the role. I think he could be huge, but they're pushing him too aggressively while he's still green.

jindrak
06-15-2004, 06:14 PM
who the hell labelled it the "Ruthless Agression Era" in the first place?

it sounds retarded

Vince labeled it the Ruthless Aggression Era.

Loose Cannon
06-15-2004, 06:33 PM
We didn't say he is the rock, we said he's being built up like the rock.There's a difference.

Defy me again and I'LL strike you down faster then you can spell RKO.

Seriously though, we've discussed this about 8 months ago. Yeah, he is being billed as the Rock as far as his career path being similar to the Rock's, but that's where the similarity ends. Orton is not the Rock, he'll NEVER be as big as the Rock, he'll never be as good on the mic as the Rock. The Rock is one of a kind and won't be reproduced for a long while.

Mayo
06-15-2004, 08:01 PM
When he dragged the cameraman towards the ring at Bad Blood, he reminded me of The Rock very much. Yeah, he also referred to himself in the third person, and he's a cocky third generation superstar that turned heel after being a face didn't work. I don't know why people say his mic skills aren't great because he impresses me at times, although he is still not at his full potential on the mic and in the ring. I agree with Kane Knight, he gets shoved down our throats too much. Just let him improve over time, keep him in the midcard for a while and let his ring and mic skills develop, and he will be great in the years to come.