PDA

View Full Version : English fans prove themselves yet agian.

Ogen
06-16-2004, 09:46 AM
By Gil Cohen Magen

ALBUFEIRA, Portugal (Reuters) - Portuguese police say they have arrested 20 people after battling "mostly English" hooligans in a second night of violence in the Algarve.

Private TSF radio reported more than 32 people were arrested on Wednesday and three were slightly injured, including a police officer. The report could not be immediately confirmed.

Hooligans started throwing bottles and chairs at police around 1.30 a.m. (0030 GMT) in the same area of bars and restaurants in this coastal town where hundreds of soccer fans, many wearing England shirts, rioted the previous night, police and eyewitnesses said.

Police captain Manuel Jorge of the GNR paramilitary force told Reuters 20 people had been taken into custody and by 4 a.m. the area was quiet.

One of those held needed hospital treatment for facial injuries, Jorge said. He had no word of other injuries and no immediate confirmation of the nationality of those detained.

"But we believe they are mostly English," he said.

"The trouble was no worse than last night even though there were more detentions," Jorge added. "Police on the spot estimated there were 300-400 people involved, but the situation is now calm."

The street of bars and clubs, many offering English fare, had been lively but peaceful during the evening as England fans mingled with Dutch supporters watching the Netherlands' 1-1 draw with Germany on big screens and televisions.

CHANTING FANS

Gangs of youths began arriving after midnight and the street soon filled with chanting revellers who blocked the road, began dancing in bars, on the street and singing football songs.

Then groups of people, many wearing England shirts, started throwing bottles and chairs at police who replied by calling for reinforcements in riot gear, with dogs and on horseback.

Eyewitnesses said missiles were also thrown at a group of photographers and a camera was smashed.

Lines of police moved into the crowd using batons to disperse them and there were running battles along the street.

Police ordered the public away from the area and closed the restaurants and cafes, cordoning off the street.

Police then began mopping up operations in side streets and were continuing to patrol, Jorge said.

Twelve people detained during violence early on Tuesday were due to appear in court later on Wednesday. The 12 include 10 Britons, a Russian and a Portuguese.

The England squad at Euro 2004 are based nearly 300 km from the Algarve, but many fans have chosen to stay on the southern coast, a popular destination for British holidaymakers.

England fans have a reputation for hooliganism and caused trouble both in France during the World Cup in 1998 and in Belgium at the last European Championship in 2000.

UEFA, European soccer's governing body, has warned the English FA that the national team could be banned from competition if fans cause trouble.

----------------------

UEFA won't have the bottle to throw them out but something really should be done. Maybe if England were thrown out it would help stop this happening again.

The Mackem
06-16-2004, 09:55 AM
There's nothing more that the English FA can do. UEFA were more than satisfied with what the FA have been doing to stop known hooligans from going. It doesn't help when UEFA start selling tickets to anybody on their website. Other than stop selling drink to English people, I don't know what more can be done.

Danny Electric
06-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah I heard different reports on the news.
Supposdly not may people are happy with the Portugese police, who were said to have started the trouble.
Did you say that the police thought they were mainly English.
Or let's talk about the trouble between the Dutch and German fans.
I'm not saying that what they did was right, I think all hooligans should bel ocked up for the period but the information from the police seems a bit dodgy.

The Mask
06-16-2004, 10:21 AM
they just need to bring out the riot trucks with the huge badass hoses. That makes for some awesome TV, watching some twats get flung into walls and lamp posts.

Danny Electric
06-16-2004, 10:31 AM
they just need to bring out the riot trucks with the huge badass hoses. That makes for some awesome TV, watching some twats get flung into walls and lamp posts.
:y: :D

Ian
06-16-2004, 10:48 AM
If england get thrown out the place will be a war zone. To be honest there is nothing like the british police force, is there any wonder people fight the police when the just randomly chare people with their battons

Wengerland
06-16-2004, 10:49 AM
They're just a bunch of twats.

Great idea to spend your cash and possibly become hated by a nation if we get kicked out,and waste everyones time.

Ogen
06-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Chances are it wouldn't happen again if Enlgand were kicked out though. There'd be huge trouble over then when it happened but in future chances are these muppets won't do it as despite being compelte fuckwits they do give a fuck about the team so it might show them.

Danny Electric
06-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Why don't the kick out the Portugese police who are known as Ian said for being friendly with their baton.
Or kick out teh Dutch and Germans too for the trouble they've been causing.

Wengerland
06-16-2004, 11:48 AM
If we lose tomorrow then kick us out,that'll show the fans.:shifty:

Mr. Monday Morning
06-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Chances are it wouldn't happen again if Enlgand were kicked out though. There'd be huge trouble over then when it happened but in future chances are these muppets won't do it as despite being compelte fuckwits they do give a fuck about the team so it might show them.

That's absolutely wrong, the people doing this aren't fans, they are (somewhat organised) thugs with no actual interest in the game, they only use the team as an excuse to travel and cause havoc. Hence none of the violence has happened in Lisbon, it's all been removed from where the actual England games are happening.

Rob
06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Trust me, if they kick England out then it will get 10 times worse. Adam is right in saying it's organised thugs with no interest in the game. England matches are just the excuse to go over there. They couldn't give a toss really.

El Capitano Gatisto
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
20 odd people out of tens of thousands isn't very many. Nothing more than a normal night out in an English town, probably.

The FA have done their best to stop the violence. If we saw an all out rampage by England fans, then maybe we'd be talking bans, but the media are blowing this up. Nothing more than drunken idiots starting a few scuffles, and the Portuguese police probably on alert to sort it out forcefully and quickly.

Goldbird
06-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Those hooligans just shot themselves in the back there

Dazz
06-16-2004, 11:12 PM
An English bloke is being deported and spending two years in jail in England, 20 others have also been deported.

aenima
06-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Thank fuck the Turks didn't qualify.

Cheers, Latvia.

Oxstar
06-16-2004, 11:51 PM
I refuse to comment on the English fans behaviour, thank you.

Ian
06-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Thank fuck the Turks didn't qualify.

Cheers, Latvia.

That can only be a good thing, there would be trouble there.

Dazz
06-17-2004, 10:00 AM
If the Turk's qualified I reckno there would be murders...again.

yianni
06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
They're an absolute feral bunch those Turks.

I can't imagine how bad it will be when Greece play Turkey in the World Cup Qualifiers next year.

yianni
06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Or in the more present day, the punch-ons between the Turks and the Poms/Greeks.

Rob
06-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Seriously, no offense to any of the good England fans but you lot are sooooo boring. Watching you lot celebrate today and it still looks like fight will break out for some reason. You don't look like a friendly bunch at all. Just walked by the pub and I thought I was gonna get stabbed or something. And that's when you win games!

Dazz
06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Yeah I get the feeling that fans will be so happy and pissed that there will be fights.

Ian
06-17-2004, 06:27 PM
I think that the British press blow this problem out of proportion though. The headline tonight was "England win, but will the hooligans spoil it... blah blah blah" I'm not saying it's not a problem, but I don't think it's half as bad as they make out. I heard nothing about the Dutch and the Germans. The British media are cunts.

The Mackem
06-17-2004, 06:45 PM
The ITV news afterwards was attrocious.

That fight in the BB house looked entertaining :-\

Ian
06-17-2004, 06:49 PM
It's all about class. They do it just to say, look at the commoners, fighting again, let's go watch the rugger old boy.

The Mackem
06-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I mean are they even allowed to make up potential news?

"Tonight, England beat Switzerland but will it be overshadowed by a potential Eathquake measuring 8.0 on the Richter scale in India?

Ian
06-17-2004, 07:20 PM
As I said, cunts.

Blame it on the drink culture, the British curse. We're the scum of Europe, it's like they have no pride in there country and tar everyone with the same brush. Actually, I say British, but it's not, what they have a problem with is the English. To be English to these people is to be scum.

Disturbed316
06-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I mean are they even allowed to make up potential news?

"Tonight, England beat Switzerland but will it be overshadowed by a potential Eathquake measuring 8.0 on the Richter scale in India?

lol like an earthquake is going to overshadow England playing football :roll:

Disturbed316
06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
The ITV news afterwards was attrocious.

That fight in the BB house looked entertaining :-\

It was, I found myself watching it at 3:3am just waiting to see what happened. First time I've watched it this year too.

06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
It's a bunch of mindless twats that are in the slim minority. Hopefully the FA will continue to take action with them.

Rob
06-19-2004, 11:52 AM
It's a bunch of mindless twats that are in the slim minority. Hopefully the FA will continue to take action with them.

What can they do? Ban people for life. Obtain passports? It doesn't work. There are always ways around it. I know a bloke who has been banned from Stamford Bridge and all England internationals since 1981 and he still goes to every Chelsea home game and every England match. That is just one person I know personally. If he is doing it and doesn't make an effort then I don't even want to guess the numbers who are trying.