PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Character Stolen From Comedy Star, Lawsuit; More

Joe Kerr
06-17-2004, 07:53 PM
http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/index.php?id=headlines/89505065

The following was a press release sent to us today:

"I have some interesting facts that you might be interested in. My name is Alex Lourido and for the last ten years my partner, David Francella, and I have been creating a show called, "The Psychotic Neurotics Comedy Show," which is shot and produced in Philadelphia.

Our most popular character on the show is Eugene, the mentally challenged actor who is played by me! The similarities between our Eugene and Nick Dinsmore's Eugene, are daunting, and it even gets better.

Back in December, Dave and I spoke with Todd Resnick, an Executive Producer from Spike TV, and pitched our show to him. He was interested in learning more so we sent him a show that showcased Eugene as our strongest character! (Do you see where we're going with this!) Mr. Resnick then contacts us personally, and via mail, to tell us that they have decided not to run with "it," but they really liked our ideas and we have an open door policy with them to pitch further show concepts!

Shortly after this, I'm talking maybe a month or so later, Nick Dinsmore reveals his Eugene character on Spike's "Raw," one of the highest-rated shows on cable TV!

We have spoken to our attorney and he is in the process of developing a case. This is a huge story, and when people see our Eugene Character that was developed 10 years ago, and is still very popular on our show, they will immediately reach the conclusion that Nick Dinsmore stole the character.

As a matter of fact, the entire story line that "Raw" is developing with the Eugene Character has been stolen from one of our shows. Dave and I can tell you exactly where their story line is going and what is going to happen, because they didn't even have the decency to change it a little!"

Boondock Saint
06-17-2004, 08:06 PM
:wtf: Interesting

Loose Cannon
06-17-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm calling this bullsh** right now. It's funny how they present a case about 3 months after Eugene debuts and when is is really popular.

ColdwaVer
06-17-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm calling this bullsh** right now. It's funny how they present a case about 3 months after Eugene debuts and when is is really popular.

In a related story, I'm going to be suing you for stealing the exact thoughts I got while reading this topic and posting them as your own. Bastard.

Additionally, do these guys really think Vince and his legal team won't be able to steamroll the hell over the attorney of a couple of no-name writers who go handing out "interesting facts" to wrestling websites? More likely than not, they're just hoping for a nice fat "STFU" settlement from WWE.

Loose Cannon
06-17-2004, 08:20 PM
This is going to give me some ideas for my next parody when I use Eugene as a character. :naughty:

MVP
06-17-2004, 08:23 PM
If this is true then it's back to OVW for Dinsmore. :mad:

Oh wait of course it's true it's the internet.

Mayo
06-17-2004, 08:45 PM
I would like to see them turn Eugene heel to avoid problems, but with the popularity that the character has, I don't think this will be happening. The gimmick is entertaining at times, but nothing too great. I would rather see Dinsmore wrestle in some great matches with a serious persona because he can't wrestle as Eugene for his whole career anyways. People will watch Dinsmore now that he was noticed as his Eugene character, and his wrestling skill will keep the masses tuning in.

.44 Magdalene
06-17-2004, 08:50 PM
So...in their comedy act, Eugene's uncle set him up in a match with HHH? :wtf:

V
06-17-2004, 09:02 PM
yeah and he uses the stone cold stunner on coach on that show too

c4g2
06-17-2004, 09:34 PM
^ Yeah and a decorated Brit is his mentor too.

Why didn't they make their claims when Eugene first came out? I suspect this is a case of riding on Eugene's popularity to gain some cheap publicity. :D

big_bluto
06-17-2004, 09:50 PM

Why didn't they make their claims when Eugene first came out? I suspect this is a case of riding on Eugene's popularity to gain some cheap publicity. :D
In fairness to them, not everyone watches wrestling.....WTF I hear you cry!
It's true!

Perhaps, if what they are claiming is true, it's possible that they only heard about the Eugene character in the last couple of weeks, and took things forward then?

Personally it smells like sh</>ite to me.
However, if it is true, they don't have to bin the character totally.
They could easily do several angles, ranging from the whole 'Eugene is an act' storyline, to 'Eugene gets hit by lightning and cured', etc.
Plus it also sounds from the article that these guys could be filing their suit against Spike TV as that is who they pitched their original idea to.

Wait and see if any of this BS pans out.
Personally, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Dazz
06-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Vince nicked the World Wildife Funds's initials, he'll steal characters too

Wow, so he wasn't based on the retarded fan a while back? I think its easy to speculate, lets just sit back and see what happens.

Gone Mad
06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Looks like somebody's upset that they didn't get their deal. If this is true that this is their Eugene,then those guys could have a lawsuit with the producers of "Rainman" too because they are the same. Nothing is original anymore and I should know because any ideas I have for my comics, I find out later on that someone else had it first. These guys have to get over it and come up with something different.

It's hard but there is no use in fighting whether it is true or not. They should just be happy that they can come up with a good character that people like and just think about how they can probably do it again.

Anybody Thrilla
06-17-2004, 10:11 PM
It doesn't sound to me like they had the character copywritten anyway. They've got nothing.

Back Stabbed
06-18-2004, 12:45 AM
[B]http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/index.php?id=headlines/89505065
Back in December, Dave and I spoke with Todd Resnick

Shortly after this, I'm talking maybe a month later
Didn't Eugene appear after WMXX?

Back Stabbed
06-18-2004, 12:49 AM
yeah and he uses the stone cold stunner on coach on that show too
And then he goes to RAW and meets a reluctant William Regal....I GOT IT! Raw is owned by those 2 guys!

Nowhere Man
06-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Even if they did come up with the character first, accusing Nick Dinsmore is ridiculous. They could have at least said the WWE Creative Department or even just WWE in general, but honestly, do you really think when Dinsmore was getting ready to debut in WWE, he said "I wanna be a retard!"

Anyways, that's just nitpicking. I'm pretty sure I had a point there, but then the phone rang and I got sidetracked for, like, half an hour.

Kane Knight
06-18-2004, 01:06 AM
It doesn't sound to me like they had the character copywritten anyway. They've got nothing.
Except that the US has an implied copyright on anything written.

Anybody Thrilla
06-18-2004, 01:41 AM
Except that the US has an implied copyright on anything written.

If you say so, but I think it'd be easier to make a case if it were actually copywritten. They may have an actual copyright on it for all I know, I did absolutely no research. Just a thought.

The Icon of Elisim
06-18-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm not a buff on copyright law but don't some television networks and record labels make you forefit the copyright when you give it to them?

Kane Knight
06-18-2004, 02:08 AM
If you say so, but I think it'd be easier to make a case if it were actually copywritten. They may have an actual copyright on it for all I know, I did absolutely no research. Just a thought.
It's easier to make a case if it's copywritten, but you don't need that to prove your case if you can document an item was in use before they had it. For example, if you can produce ten year old tapes, air dates, etc.

Kane Knight
06-18-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm not a buff on copyright law but don't some television networks and record labels make you forefit the copyright when you give it to them?

Yes.

When you give it to them, as in, once you've agreed to terms for an actual release. Not when they solicit you to send them some stuff.

I <3 Negros
06-18-2004, 04:30 AM
This will be interesting. All they have to do is prove that they've been using the character for ten years and that they pitched it to Spike TV and no deal was reached. Now to get money from WWE is another story and probably won't happen.

Hired Hitman
06-18-2004, 05:18 AM
Blah Blah Blah, remember those people that waited a long time so something gets more recognized and they will get more money... Oh yeah, The WWF :|

Mr. Nerfect
06-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Nowhere Man has a good line of thinking here. Nick Dinsmore stole the character. They're making a lawsuit against what has been recorded as a move by the WWE. It seriously sound slike they would be going after Nick from this letter. If they do, I can guarantee they will lose. They will probably lose anyway.

I <3 Negros
06-18-2004, 05:58 AM
Nowhere Man has a good line of thinking here. Nick Dinsmore stole the character. They're making a lawsuit against what has been recorded as a move by the WWE. It seriously sound slike they would be going after Nick from this letter. If they do, I can guarantee they will lose. They will probably lose anyway.
Their lawyer will go after WWE and Spike not Nick even if they tell him to go after Nick. There is no money in going after Nick.

PoisonIvy
06-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Yeah, blame Dinsmore for something he has no control over. :roll:

#1-norm-fan
06-18-2004, 06:48 AM
So it's THESE guys, not WWE who ripped off the Warren character from There's Something About Mary!

Mr. Nerfect
06-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Their lawyer will go after WWE and Spike not Nick even if they tell him to go after Nick. There is no money in going after Nick.

Exactly why I think this is a hoax. It could very well be true, but Spike TV are the only real ones at fault here if this is true. They are the sole people behind it. And if Spike TV wants to lighen its load, they will probably dob the WWE in for knowning they stole it, and using it on their own free will.

Shaggy
06-18-2004, 09:04 AM
This would of never happened if Eugene was a failure with the fans like everyone thought he was gonna be.

big_bluto
06-18-2004, 09:22 AM
I seem to remember ages back when there was talk of bringing Dinsmore up from OVW, someone mentioned that he had just started working on a new character called Eugene.

Now if that's the case, then it sounds like he was told to do this character in order to be brought up to RAW, and if so, then all Dinsmore has to worry about is proving he was told to develop Eugene by either OVW, or WWE, in which event he's safe.

Again if this whole Law suit thing is real, then it'll be either Spike or WWE who'll get sued, not Dinsmore.

c4g2
06-18-2004, 09:25 AM
If Dinsmore is sued, :nono:

He was only following orders from higher up. *cough*Triple*cough*H*cough* It'll be a serious miscarriage of justice if he is sued.

[/serious]

In all seriousness, this was just a crappy post to boost my post count.

big_bluto
06-18-2004, 09:30 AM
In all seriousness, this was just 150 crappy posts to boost my post count.
^^^ FIXED^^^

;)

c4g2
06-18-2004, 09:32 AM
In all seriousness, this was just 150 crappy posts to boost my post count.^^^ FIXED^^^

;)
:eek:

big_bluto
06-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Am I wrong?

You've made about 150 posts in the last 3 days......

c4g2
06-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Come to think of it...

Yes. :D

Aussie Skier
06-18-2004, 11:29 AM
surely if wwe were gonna use a Eugene character, they'd change the name 4 starters!

this is crap IMO

loopydate
06-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Why didn't they make their claims when Eugene first came out?
Because, when he first came out, they didn't have time to manufacture "Ten-year-old" tapes of the character.

Now that they've had a month's worth of production, they can get to work on the suit.

...did my conspiracy theorist personality just kick in again? Damned medication...

Kane Knight
06-18-2004, 06:11 PM
surely if wwe were gonna use a Eugene character, they'd change the name 4 starters!

this is crap IMO
Except the WWE has a lot of balls. Remember their blatant use of ECW?

Kane Knight
06-18-2004, 06:13 PM
If Dinsmore is sued, :nono:

He was only following orders from higher up. *cough*Triple*cough*H*cough* It'll be a serious miscarriage of justice if he is sued.

[/serious]

In all seriousness, this was just a crappy post to boost my post count.
He's not really the one most likely to be sued here. You usually don't sue an actor for the characters set up by the writers/producers...

Kane Knight
06-18-2004, 06:15 PM

Well, usually you don't make a claim immediately anyway. Why would you? If you take a little more time, you might be able to get more evidence.

Besides, they only waited three months. There are people filing retroactive lawsuits for ten year old issues. three months is still pretty reasonable.

Corkscrewed
06-18-2004, 07:58 PM
If they want to prove it, they can just "reveal" what will happen. I mean, what are the odds that the WWE will read there site?

:shifty: